• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel's Luke Cage *SPOILER THREAD* |OT| Where WAS His Money, Honey?

Slayven

DiamondBack was the weakest thing about this show.

It's like "I'M CRRRAAAZZZZY!!! WANNA KNOW WHY?!?! FOR NO REAL REASON AT ALL OTHER THAN YEARS OF MISDIRECTED RESENTMENT AND BEING SUPER DUPER JELLY!!!!!! I GREW UP IN JUVEEE, I WANTED DADDY LOVE TO!".

Where as Cotton Mouth had to ... kill not only a peer but his own uncle by request of his mother figure at the age of 14 or something and grew to not only admire her traits but also see the potential in his cousin having said traits which pushed him to push her down that path.

Shades was like Wesley from DD but treated right. Smart, sharp and had his shit together. Soo glad he didn't die to some stupid bullshit.

His comic counterpart gets blown up by demon ninjas so they can get some cheap real estate.

Slayven

Slay you know that's another Cottonmouth and Diamondback.

Cottonmouth, Diamondback, Bushmaster. We can combine them
john-bushmaster-lg.jpg

He runs it through fear. He says as much to Mariah that he'll be disappearing soon but he'll still be keeping tabs.

How he escaped from that standoff with the Latino's was a bit unbelievable though.

Fear is too weak of an explanation. He's just a crazy guy shooting random people who work for him and possible business partners. I know it's a comic-book show and some suspension of disbelief is required of the viewer but after 6 episodes of Cottonmouth it didn't work. Diamondback just felt like a hired gun with a gimmick. When he was first introduced with the "Can you dig it ?" line I loved it. But he shouldn't have been the main villain.

Ferulci

DiamondBack was the weakest thing about this show.

Diamondback is god awful from the acting to the character arc and overall motivation, trying to sound too much like a Pulp fiction character. Going from Cottonmouth to him is such as letdown.
On the other hand I really liked Shades, latino Littlefinger.
Question : I might have missed it but who is Romeo ? He's mentionned shortly before Zip death but otherwise I dont remember seing him.

Last episode deserves to be an entire episode of CringeCompliation. That suit, fight, and comments during fight were so awful. Like, where is their budget?!

Cottonmouth, Mariah, Misty, and Shades made this show. Every one else kind of sucked.

Lol @ Methodman.

I think my favorite part of the entire show was when Diamondback open the crate containing his power suit and he says the line about a pale horse. Stahp writers stahp.

Kudos to Subpar Spatula to wasting again more then half a day on something he hates.

Yes, I totally went into the show hating it. Show fell apart near the end. It was funny. I'm glad best girl Mariah came out on top. Glad Luke went back to jail and hopefully Fish burns those documents so Luke never gets out. Make it the Misty Knight show and say she got super powers somehow. Edit: scratch that, remove the super powers, that element drags this show down.

Mariah was well acted but her character was meh, Mama Mabel 2.0 (Justified did it better). If they ever come back I wish Shades betrays her and finally get to rule, that's one villain I would root for.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Thats the first time I see a post from you in a thread about a blockbuster media that is an attempt to be not 100% "This is super big shit and I hate it".
Now I am bewildered.

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
Last episode deserves to be an entire episode of CringeCompliation. That suit, fight, and comments during fight were so awful. Like, where is their budget?!

The fight scene felt like it was something out of the original Spiderman trilogy, which feels like something out of a campy comic. So I guess mission accomplished. Still better than Agents of Shield.

Diamond Back was the worst. It felt like the writers' room was taken over by the generic Marvel cinema writers half way through and then they decided to throw in a weak villain.

But I guess ultimately Sam Rockwell's Iron Man 2 character is the real villain since his name got dropped every other episode?

Ferulci

Diamond Back was the worst. It felt like the writers' room was taken over by the generic Marvel cinema writers half way through and then they decided to throw in a weak villain.

this. Rest of villains cast was so good until him.

Aceun

Out of all the MCU music to date (besides the Silvestri Avengers stuff, and the moments in Cap and Thor), this music easily resonates the most with me.

The opening credit song, especially when coupled with Harlem imagery that I grew up with, makes it just perfect. I love the Method Man song because it does capture what Luke Cage means for "everyday Joe" communities, and more importantly what it means in today's political landscape.

Pepper that in with great performances from Harlem's Paradise coupled with Cottonmouth's love for sound and music...and you have one of the best sounds in the MCU to date. I even had a "day the music died" with Cottonmouth, making his death all the more devastating.

The front half of Luke Cage really resonated. Even though I didn't love the back half as much, I appreciate the relatively comic book accurate portrayal of Diamondback. Shades came to life in the second half. I love Claire as the ultimate hacks for all of our Defenders. I liked the birth of Black Mariah. Most importantly, I love seeing Luke Cage become the hero we know in the comics.

Shanlei91

Well, sure. But comparing his action scenes to Luke Cage and Diamondback awkwardly throwing themselves on cars for 5 minutes is sacrilege.

Ok ok, I apologize for that. Jessica Jones and Luke Cage fight scenes are awkward. But to be fair, that comes with the territory of being super strong with no agility. Where as the train scene in Spiderman 2, prior to the involvement of New Yorkers, is amazing.

Beefy

Such a shame the guy that played Cage can't act. The only good villian was killed off really early (shades was good, but we didn't really get much backstory). Diamondback was shit and whoever played him was the pourest actor in the show and that is saying something.

Sanjuro

On episode nine. Upset that Cottonmouth bit the dust.

Thrilled that Boardwalk Empire alum steps in as Diamondback! Loved him on that show.

Sanjuro

Such a shame the guy that played Cage can't act. The only good villian was killed of really early (shades was good, but we didn't really get much backstory). DiamondBack was shit and whoever played him was the pourest actor in the show and that is saying something.

Leave the pour guy alone.

Thats the first time I see a post from you in a thread about a blockbuster media that is an attempt to be not 100% "This is super big shit and I hate it".
Now I am bewildered.

All this shows is you're not reading my posts then. You're going, "that guy said something negative about X, he must HATE it all."

The fight scene felt like it was something out of the original Spiderman trilogy, which feels like something out of a campy comic. So I guess mission accomplished. Still better than Agents of Shield.

But I guess ultimately Sam Rockwell's Iron Man 2 character is the real villain since his name got dropped every other episode?

Only the greats are remembered.

Bookoo

Finished the season this morning and wasn't as much of a fan of this one. The story line really felt like it lost steam halfway through.

Also the acting and fight scenes didn't seem all that great.

Pkaz01

Biggest surprise for me reading these threads is that people actually liked Shades. I cringed everytime he was on the screen.

Worst scene for me was when he was holding Luke's criminal records an arms length away from him and Luke didnt just grab it

DeviantBoi

Just finished the season and I agree with a lot of your comments...

1. Cottonmouth was an awesome villain and it sucked that he died
2. Diamondback sucked as a villain and everything about him was cringeworthy.

I guess we'll see Diamondback again in season 2?

They really should consider having these shows be 10 eps rather than 13, they could be spending the time and money on those weak-ass action sequences rather than destroy the pace of the show.

That said, I really enjoyed the show, I liked all the villains except Diamondback and found myself rooting for Cottonmouth and Shades on several occasions, though they do a good job of making you hate Shades and Mariah at the end. They do need to stop giving all their villains daddy or mommy issues though, Cornell, Mariah, Diamondback and Fisk all became villains because of their parents basically, it's becoming a tired formula to slowly explain their backstory through flashbacks with their parents.

I would like to see more crossovers from now on though, they teased the Matt Murdock cameo a couple times but it never happened, if we don't get lots of Cage airtime on Iron Fist's show they'll have failed in my book. You can't just let them all meet each other in Defenders, build that shit up.

Also this is minor but I do hope Cage and Jessica end up together at some point, I do not approve of the night nurse ship.

JSevere

Cottonmouth > Diamondback. Hope Mariah and Shades are the main antagonists for S2, they had a damn good arc in this.

Guess they're gonna tie up all the lingering threads (Luke's Seagate baggage) in "Defenders"?

Shanlei91

Cottonmouth > Diamondback. Hope Mariah and Shades are the main antagonists for S2, they had a damn good arc in this.

Guess they're gonna tie up all the lingering threads (Luke's Seagate baggage) in "Defenders"?

I really hope the awkward baggage from individual shows are thrown in as filler for Defenders. (i.e. Super strong Cop in Jessica Jones, the Hand, and Diamond Back 2.0) Based on what I've seen, I can't imagine any of those threads being able to carry their weight in stand-alone shows.

I was rooting for Cottonmouth the moment I saw the Biggie portrait.

Pharaun

No no, Claire said she knew a good lawyer. Foggy gonna make it right.

Lol, yeah Matt screwed up bad in Daredevil season 2, but in season one he was really good in the few courtroom scenes we saw. Hopefully Nelson & Murdock falling apart will help him get it together.

Just finished it.
Fantastic.
My only gripe was Misty, she started off so strong and just became an annoying whiny character.
Shame Cottonmouth died at all, he was my boy so that was disappointing but I guess it was worth it to see the payoff from Mariah. Mariah was the fucking shit + Shades. I loved their dynamic.

I don't know why everyone is complaining about Diamondback, I actually loved it. I did think the suit at the end looked a little ridiculous, but the over all story between the two and the sheer insanity of the character was great.

Added: Also, did anyone else jump for joy when Shades shot Candace in the head? Damn I was glad she got that. Needed that loose end tied for Mariah.

Top Bottom