• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel's Luke Cage *SPOILER THREAD* |OT| Where WAS His Money, Honey?

Can we talk about how Rosario Dawn (Claire) is the real MVP of the Marvel TV universe? She's appeared in all the series, has always been able to take care of herself, and finely straddles that line between friendly and helpful and not taking shit from anyone. I love her character

Strafer said:
What was the song that played in episode 3 when Luke took on Fort Knox?

That's the wu-tang clan. Bring da ruckas.

Napeleonthechimp said:
I forgot to mention that I didn't care much for Misty Knight's therapy session. I get that she's a part of the mythos but was that whole thing necessary?

Lemonade is popular drink and it still is. That's enough for me.

Anung

Un Rama
And done. Really enjoyed it overall but that was one weak ass finale. Pretty much every performance outside of Colter was great but it was two episodes too long which drags and really kills the energy and the finale episode descends into some corny CW meteor man shit.

I really like the show, but more for the characters rather than the story. The story was alright the first few episodes but wasn't really gripping because of the really slow pacing. That continued to be slow and then dragged around the middle with the whole alien metal (I pretend it's adamantium) bullet thing that went on longer than it should. It kinda fizzled at the end too.

The characters and their back and forth made this show feel really authentic to me. You got arguments over basketball and stuff like Bruce Lee vs Jet Li. It just clicked. The cast were a lot more likeable and relatable than any of the other Netflix Marvel shows, and that is it's greatest strength. I cared about all the characters, which I can't say for Daredevil or JJ. I even liked Colter as Luke.

I really wasn't expecting Mariah to kill Cottonmouth so it came as quite a shock, especially since he was replacing Fisk as my favourite Netflix villain. Diamondback was a very intimidating villain but I felt that his motivations were shaky (though quite close to the comics, sans the brother thing) and that made Cottonmouth better for me.

Mariah getting away was a pretty big blow. I wasn't expecting Luke to be arrested either, but he'll be fine since Bobby Fish found the folder. Nice Colleen Wing reference too.

Also, I'm not getting the music complaints outside of the occasional stage performance we have to sit through.

strafer

The man is everywhere. :D

BGfoggS.jpg

The Judas bullet stuff wasn't unnecessary and it didn't really drag on. It was short, and the whole point of it was to recreate the scenario that made Luke Cage.

It would have been unnecessary if Burstein didn't show up at the end to be Diamondbacks doctor.

Mulgrok

The HAMMER gun did jam. If people didn't notice that.

EDIT: Would have prefered cottonmouth to take over the role of main baddy mid season, but that would have made the show too much like daredevil by ending it with an actual organized crime leader. Instead Cage's main baddy is just a tough psycho.

jmood88

The Judas bullet stuff wasn't unnecessary and it didn't really drag on. It was short, and the whole point of it was to recreate the scenario that made Luke Cage.

It would have been unnecessary if Burstein didn't show up at the end to be Diamondbacks doctor.
The complaint about the bullet story is why it makes me feel like people just want action scenes with occasional dialogue sprinkled in.

The Light

The club scenes were my favorite part since you know you were about to hear some good music.

The villains made this show for me. I found them all overshadowing Luke in presence. Loved how Mariah was built up from trying to escape her past to embracing it. Wish we had more time with Cottonmouth and Shades.

I seriously thought Misty getting shot would be a setup for her bionic arm, or whatever they plan on doing in the show. They already have superhero science and magic (DD S2 was filled with this), they might as well allow it

maxcriden

What's the sex and violence content like in this show? Any violence towards animals? That tends to be one of of the most off-putting aspects for a show or movie for me. Thanks all.

The Light

Thought hammer tech would've had a stronger presence after the judas bullets and that was how misty would've received the bionic arm.

SpaceWolf

Banned
So just finished watching getting through the first season this afternoon. Overall, I'm pretty damn satisfied with how this show turned out. It wasn't overly spectacular, but I definitely feel it was an extremely solid thirteen hours with a lot to recommend it. The showrunners did a great job of making Luke's corner of New York feel rather fresh and unique, in addition to the man himself. Really dug the much more urban nature of the show

Overall, I'd give this rater the show a solid 8/10.

Pros:

-The setting. From the opening scene in the barbershop, this show had a really great sense of place that did a lot to win me over, a neighborhood with it's own rich sense of history and culture which in turn made it feel so much more tangible and lived-in. Allowed you to immediately develop a sense of Luke Cage's connection to the place, as well as the other villains.
-Fun supporting characters. Lots of very naturalistic actors in the cast which really helped sell the drama. The characters all felt like part of this very expansive, connected community which added so much to the urban texture of the show.
-Loved the opening title credits, in addition to the theme music, so much so I'd get annoyed whenever Netflix would automatically skip over it whenever I would start a new episode.
-Thought they did a great job with the subtle social commentary running throughout the series. I thought the increasing use of the bulletproof hoodie in Harlem was especially powerful, as was Method Man's rap.
-Liked the wider use of references to the MCU universe. From the fun (Justin Hammer reference!) to the subtle (Trish Talks briefly making an appearance). Also loved the idea of someone selling pirate copies of bootleg Battle of New York footage, I thought that was particularly creative.
-Claire kicking ass and taking names.

Cons

-Commented on this briefly in the other thread, but I felt that for the most part, all the villains were painted as rather incompetent and disorganized from the start, which was probably only an inevitability when you pair them off against a super-strong, bullet proof protagonist. As a result, Cottonmouth and Dilliard never felt particularly threatening to me, or particularly well developed enough for me to invest myself in their individual subplots. As a result I felt a lot of the tension was lost whenever they would come up with another, fairly rushed scheme to take Cage down.
-I know it's from the comics, but DIamondback being Cage's brother really didn't work for me and it made their relationship come across as overly convoluted. Also, his Hammer Tech approved "Battle" costume was too ridiculous to take seriously.
-The finale episode felt like a bit of a mess, consisting of five minutes of a dubiously choreographed superhero fight sequence, and forty five more minutes of everyone lounging around a police station licking their wounds. Wasn't overly keen on the oddly downbeat tone of the ending either, felt too deflating.

Can we talk about how Rosario Dawn (Claire) is the real MVP of the Marvel TV universe? She's appeared in all the series, has always been able to take care of herself, and finely straddles that line between friendly and helpful and not taking shit from anyone. I love her character

I absolutely loved Claire in this series, she's just so great. I've said in the past how much I've really dug her character, so to see her pop up again here in such a substantial role was a real treat. I just love her unwavering capacity for rushing to help those in need, in addition to her toughness....she's exactly the kind of mentor any upcoming superhero would be lucky to have. It was great to learn a little more about her background in this as well, after seeing her revisit her roots at the diner and meeting her Mom.

I thought it was kind of amusing how strongly it was implied that Claire is somehow going to find her way into Danny Rand's life now with that Colleen Wing reference in the finale. I mean, I love Claire...but it seems a bit too coincidental that she'll now have randomly managed to stumble into all four of the Defenders lives by accident. Hard to complain though, because I love Claire. Rosario Dawson's doing so much for these Netflix series.

Kelsdesu

Candace was too damn fine to survive the full season.

Overall I liked it, but the ending was such a fizzle for me. That showdown on the streets was complete lol-worthy.

Favorite character was Misty, with Cornell being a close second. Diamondback on the other hand was completely one-dimensional. But hey, I loved Dunn Purnsley on Boardwalk Empire, and he did a suitably great job at being menacing here as well.

I liked the overall feel of the show, but you can immediately tell when the hamfisted commentary comes into play. From the beginning "*moan* Stong Black Man working! Ain't nothing wrong with that!" to the (paraphrased) Black people don't play baseball because its passed on from father to son, and they ain't got no fathers!

I like the touch that they made Mariah a Delta. Hearing the AKA skee-wee and the inspector correcting her to oo-oop atleast showed me they had a black person on the staff.

Rosario Dawson stays being great, and i'm glad she's the thread that holds all of the shows together. I really like Claire's character.

It might be my least favorite of the marvel netflix shows, but that's a bit of a misnomer. I'm really high on all of them, and I can't wait for Defenders.

Sir, they had more than one black person on that.

qau16yw.gif

Show is legit as fuck.

SpaceWolf

Banned
Oh also, I thought this was interesting. From the show's Wikipedia entry:

Part of the series takes place simultaneously with the events of the second season of Daredevil, as (Charlie) Cox noted after Claire Temple first appears in that season, she has "a cut in her eyebrow", which she receives due to events in Luke Cage, adding, "the timeline had been thought through and worked out so that whatever’s going on in Luke Cage ... somehow at some point during that show, the next day she’s in the hospital talking to me [in Daredevil]."

What you talkin bout, Charlie?

Kalentan

I really liked it!

My only problem is... So are they scrapping Jessica x Luke? Why? Really hope Defenders corrects the course. It's not that I don't like Claire, but I felt like Jessica Jones was setting up that they would eventually get together. I mean, obviously their comics they have a daughter together.

SpaceWolf

Banned
I really liked it!

My only problem is... So are they scrapping Jessica x Luke? Why?

Because Luke found out Jessica murdered his wife and the last time they both met Luke tried to murder her whilst under mind control?

I mean, I'm rooting for Jessica X Luke too...but at the very least, their taking a break from each other for a little while is understandable.

The Kree

Banned
Because Luke found out Jessica murdered his wife and the last time they met he tried to murder her under mind control?

I mean, I'm rooting for Jessica X Luke too...but at the very least, their taking a break from each other for a little while is understandable.

nah bro they should be married with children already

They're going to have their work cut out for them pairing Jessica and Luke considering how much more are chemistry he has with Claire (hell, even with Misty)

Kalentan

nah bro they should be married with children already

I mean... I don't think anyone is expecting that. But I just don't see the point of pairing Luke with other people if they will eventually put Luke and Jessica together.

I mean hell, I remember when they were doing the casting for Jessica Jones they said it was needed that the actress playing Jessica needed to have good chemistry with Luke. Why do that if in the end it will make no difference.

Maybe I just don't really want to see a love triangle seep into the netflix series. There's already been elements of it before but eh...

The Kree

Banned
I mean... I don't think anyone is expecting that. But I just don't see the point of pairing Luke with other people if they will eventually put Luke and Jessica together.

I mean hell, I remember when they were doing the casting for Jessica Jones they said it was needed that the actress playing Jessica needed to have good chemistry with Luke. Why do that if in the end it will make no difference.

Maybe I just don't really want to see a love triangle seep into the netflix series. There's already been elements of it before but eh...

No one is born with their soulmate attached at the hip. Give it time.

shingi70

Banned
Just finished it and woah, this is my favorite of the Marvel TV series thus far, and in my top three MCU as a whole.

I really liked it!

My only problem is... So are they scrapping Jessica x Luke? Why? Really hope Defenders corrects the course. It's not that I don't like Claire, but I felt like Jessica Jones was setting up that they would eventually get together. I mean, obviously their comics they have a daughter together.

Claire is the only one who knows all of the defenders, you're crazy if you think she's living through the end of that show.

Anung

Un Rama
I really liked it!

Yeah the forcing of Luke and Claire in this didn't work for me at all.

PsychBat!

Banned
So Jessica killing Kilgrave is now widespread knowledge. That was a nice touch to Mariah's speech.

Also I love the HAMMER name drops. Glad to see my man Sam Rockwell still relevant after IM2.

L00P

What's the sex and violence content like in this show? Any violence towards animals? That tends to be one of of the most off-putting aspects for a show or movie for me. Thanks all.

Out of the Marvel Netflix shows, this one has the least sex and gore. Also I think you should away from this thread if you decide to watch it

WarRock

Well, episode 7 not only solved almost all the problems I was having with 5-6, it also is a real game changer, holy shit.

The Kree

Banned
During the episode where the doctor was trying heal Luke and he was going on about how he might be immortal, all I could think was FUCK WOLVERINE. It might as well have been scrolling across the screen in giant letters.

Top Bottom