• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel's Luke Cage *SPOILER THREAD* |OT| Where WAS His Money, Honey?

Penguin

Does the show make any reference to The Incredible Hulk?

Like it makes reference to "The Incident" but the Hulk's finale was actually in Harlem.

Cons

-Commented on this briefly in the other thread, but I felt that for the most part, all the villains were painted as rather incompetent and disorganized from the start, which was probably only an inevitability when you pair them off against a super-strong, bullet proof protagonist. As a result, Cottonmouth and Dilliard never felt particularly threatening to me, or particularly well developed enough for me to invest myself in their individual subplots. As a result I felt a lot of the tension was lost whenever they would come up with another, fairly rushed scheme to take Cage down.
Think it was you who I replied to in the thread. I think the villains seeming incompetent and disorganized, like you said, comes from them suddenly having to deal with superpowered individuals. Those people are the wrench that makes smooth business and control over their neighborhoods shatter; they have plans and strategies to deal with cops and rival gangs and noisy journalists, but those tactics don't work with superhuman vigilantes. We're not seeing them when they're calm and settled into their position of power, but as they rushing to try to adapt (and failing) to this new unpredictable variable

It's the Long Halloween/The Dark Knight thing. Regular crime organizations aren't equipped or prepared to deal with threats like this

I think I found out what I don't really like about this one: Luke Cage can't be hurt. I'm on episode 7 right now and Cornell even says when he shows up everyone scatters, it's not even a challenge. With DD he at least could be hurt by a fist or a gun and JJ was still vulnerable.

I think I found out what I don't really like about this one: Luke Cage can't be hurt. I'm on episode 7 right now and Cornell even says when he shows up everyone scatters, it's not even a challenge. With DD he at least could be hurt by a fist or a gun and JJ was still vulnerable.
You have to shift your mindset. The stakes aren't about Luke Cage going up against an enemy who can hurt him. It's about vying for the "soul" of Harlem. The stakes are Harlem's fate, its people and community, not Luke Cage's fate.

jmood88

That goes away by the next episode.

You have to shift your mindset. The stakes aren't about Luke Cage going up against who can hurt him. It's about vying for the "soul" of Harlem. The stakes are Harlem's fate, its people and community, not Luke Cage's fate.

Which is why Luke is so weird in this story. He's adding little to the soul of Harlem. Misty, Pop, Cornell, Mariah, police, etc. are more interesting so far than Luke. Whenever I see him I just see an indestructible stick thrown into cogs.

diaspora

I feel like something similar to the convenience store scene happened during an issue of one of the first Civil War tie-in comics. Luke was buying milk and KO'd two robbers going to the checkout.

Ploid 3.0

I really liked it!

My only problem is... So are they scrapping Jessica x Luke? Why? Really hope Defenders corrects the course. It's not that I don't like Claire, but I felt like Jessica Jones was setting up that they would eventually get together. I mean, obviously their comics they have a daughter together.

I think they will stray away from the comics a lot on that part. They did give it a nod by giving them history at the least. Who knows, but if they get back together, that would make for awkward night nurse visits. Maybe Claire will move on while he's in prison.

Brakke

Banned
Man they really screwed this up. This whole business with Diamondback / Luke's brother is weak. Cornell was such a better adversary than this limpdick bible-quoting melodrama man.

Scarfe and Cottonmouth were easily two of the best characters and the show is falling apart with them dead. Who's next? If Misty or Shades bite the dust I'm out.

Yo man! Watch the spoilers! I'm only on episode 10.

You in the wrong thread.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Oh this is the spoiler thread lol

smh that this ended without Misty losing an arm

Also, odd choice of ending given that Defenders will probably have to write it off in a few lines of exposition.

Otherwise, it was very good, definitely better paced and plotted than JJ or DD S2.

shingi70

Banned
Daredevil Season 1 was one large origin story for Daredevil and Kingpin and likewise this was one for Luke Cage and Black Mariah.

Curious to see where this Diamondback Seafarer doctor plotline will go. I'm guessing it's going to intersect with the PMC super soldiers from Jessica Jones.

aly

I really liked it!

My only problem is... So are they scrapping Jessica x Luke? Why? Really hope Defenders corrects the course. It's not that I don't like Claire, but I felt like Jessica Jones was setting up that they would eventually get together. I mean, obviously their comics they have a daughter together.

I said this before but these first seasons seem like big set ups and I bet actual canon pairings won't start till during or after Defenders. Hell nobody is even really friends yet.

Hubbl3

Unconfirmed Member
I just finished the whole season and I like everything about the show except for Luke Cage. I can't fucking stand him.

I made it to about episode 7 or 8 before he really started to get on my nerves, so the last 5 episode kind of felt like a chore to finish.

It is so many super fine black women on the show it's crazy. I'm in love over and over again.

And oh my god, this so much! Rosario Dawson, Ninja Devoe (Aisha Axton) and the lawyer mom (can't think of her name) are stunning

It was kinda contrived, but seeing Luke Cage with his classic costume was great. Too bad we couldn't get a one-off episode in the vein of Black Dynamite, it would've been glorious.

Mariolee

Just finished. The fight with Diamondback fell apart for me because of how awful that costume was and how subpar the fight choreography felt. However overall I loved the show.

I do wonder if Misty Knight will still end up with Danny Rand considering it seems like she's a fair bit older than him in this continuity. Still absolutely stunning though.

Wag

Wouldn't the introduction of something like the Judas Bullet have a huge effect on the MCU? A weapon like that could potentially hurt (or slow down) someone like The Hulk or Thor.

Just finished. The fight with Diamondback fell apart for me because of how awful that costume was and how subpar the fight choreography felt. However overall I loved the show.

I do wonder if Misty Knight will still end up with Danny Rand considering it seems like she's a fair bit older than him in this continuity. Still absolutely stunning though.
That fight was a Spider-Man "Mess with one of us" moment

Speely

Banned
It was kinda contrived, but seeing Luke Cage with his classic costume was great. Too bad we couldn't get a one-off episode in the vein of Black Dynamite, it would've been glorious.

"You look like a damn fool." I loled.

On ep 10 now and loving this a lot. Marvel is killing it on Netflix.

Just finished Luke Cage. Ask me how I rank it right now it's a hard tie between this and Daredevil season one as my favourite Marvel Netflix joint. Second behind Jessica Jones and DD season 2. Best cast, cinematography, music of all the shows hands down.

Cottonmouth, Mariah, and Shades are three of the best villains in the Marvel TV and cinematic universe.They are up there with Fisk and Wesley in terms of character nuance.

Malyse

dc_155.jpg
Diahann Carroll
#blackdontcrack

Age is nbd.

Cottonmouth, Mariah, and Shades are three of the best villains. They are up there with Fisk and Wesley in terms of character nuance.

I'm all for you but on Shades. Still not sure of his motivations and why he's been fine with being a middleman for a boss he clearly hated. I forgot the steps it took for him to be a petty criminal to a Seagate convict to Diamondback's 2nd-hand man.

To be honest, I thought he had secret super powers the whole time and the sunglasses were hiding them.

I think I need to see all these character's comic counterparts. Maybe they'll look as ridiculous as Nuke and his Jessica Jone's counterpart.

Speely

Banned
I'm all for you but on Shades. Still not sure of his motivations and why he's been fine with being a middleman for a boss he clearly hated. I forgot the steps it took for him to be a petty criminal to a Seagate convict to Diamondback's 2nd-hand man.

To be honest, I thought he had secret super powers the whole time and the sunglasses were hiding them.

I think I need to see all these character's comic counterparts. Maybe they'll look as ridiculous as Nuke and his Jessica Jone's counterpart.

I feel you on Shades' motivations, but I thought the actor's performance was really good so it sort of made me overlook it. A lot of the show is like that, actually. Some of the story suffers from missteps but the characters and performances more than make up for that (to me.)

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
Cottonmouth, Mariah, and Shades are three of the best villains in the Marvel TV and cinematic universe.They are up there with Fisk and Wesley in terms of character nuance.
They really are up there. Which makes Diamondback stick out even more...really didn't like him. I'd go as far as saying that he's one of the weakest villains of the MCU. It's not the actor, it's the writing. He's just terribly....lame and doesn't fit the show in the slightest.

Plus the Jean-Paul Gaultier pimp get-up was laughable. He looked ready to go right into an Asylum movie production.

Now a bad villain in the home stretch doesn't ruin the show, far from it. Netflix still killing it.

They really are up there. Which makes Diamondback stick out even more...really didn't like him. I'd go as far as saying that he's one of the weakest villains of the MCU. It's not the actor, it's the writing. He's just terribly....lame and doesn't fit the show in the slightest.

Plus the Jean-Paul Gaultier pimp get-up was laughable. He looked ready to go right into an Asylum movie production.

Now a bad villain in the home stretch doesn't ruin the show, far from it. Netflix still killing it.

Erik LaRay Harvey acting really did redeem that terrible character though. He was a very intimidating villain, even if his backstory, how he ended up being behind the strings of literally everything, and how he was the only dude with anti-superhero bullets was a bit contrived.

On episode 9 and my god, the enemy quality dropped significantly when Cornell died. Diamondback is so generic. Mariah is still slaying, though, hopefully nothing happens to her.

Shades is smart enough to realize the person at the top has a target on his or her head. At the same time, he is smart enough to manipulate people into doing what he wants without asking. He used Cottonmouth, Mariah, and Diamondback by exploiting certain weaknesses in their character. he's the leader without being the leader.

Volimar

Have they said who the antagonists will be in the Defenders? If they tie Luke's experiment to the same company that had JJ and Daredevil's chemicals I could definitely see them all coming together to fight them. Just gotta convince Danny to come along...

diaspora

Have they said who the antagonists will be in the Defenders? If they tie Luke's experiment to the same company that had JJ and Daredevil's chemicals I could definitely see them all coming together to fight them. Just gotta convince Danny to come along...

The Hand.

Veelk

Banned
For me, the second half of the show really took a serious hit from killing off Cottonmouth. He was far more interesting and had actual several face to face moments with Luke that made their antagonism feel authentic. Then Diamondback comes in with his "Luke, I am your brother" shit, and we have to get an info dump about his past and how he hates Luke for a really petty and idiotic reason. I hate don't like it when villain motivation can be boiled down to "guy's just crazy". That's the major difference, Luke and Cornell didn't like each other for reasons that felt real because of character positions and actions against each other, while Willis is blaming Luke for parent drama that Luke couldn't couldn't influence in any real way. I would have preferred it if Cornell had found a way to surpass diamond back, or atleast have Mariah take the reins as the primary antagonist.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
Erik LaRay Harvey acting really did redeem that terrible character though. He was a very intimidating villain, even if his backstory, how he ended up being behind the strings of literally everything, and how he was the only dude with anti-superhero bullets was a bit contrived.

Great actor with some damn fine line delivery. He was fantastic so early on, I was like "I'm ok with this!" But then the plot unfolded and I was left shaking my head. I think it's even worse because IMO, they wasted a great thesp on this evil Mary Sue.

Volimar

For me, the second half of the show really took a serious hit from killing off Cottonmouth. He was far more interesting and had actual several face to face moments with Luke that made their antagonism feel authentic. Then Diamondback comes in with his "Luke, I am your brother" shit, and we have to get an info dump about his past and how he hates Luke for a really petty and idiotic reason. I hate don't like it when villain motivation can be boiled down to "guy's just crazy". That's the major difference, Luke and Cornell didn't like each other for reasons that felt real because of character positions and actions against each other, while Willis is blaming Luke for parent drama that Luke couldn't couldn't influence in any real way. I would have preferred it if Cornell had found a way to surpass diamond back, or atleast have Mariah take the reins as the primary antagonist.

It would have been even worse if it wasn't Alfre in that role. She and Shades carried the bad guys part of the show a lot better than Diamondback. After seeing The Punisher, he was a pretty pale imitation...

jmood88

Wouldn't the introduction of something like the Judas Bullet have a huge effect on the MCU? A weapon like that could potentially hurt (or slow down) someone like The Hulk or Thor.
It'll be interesting to see if they do anything with that in the movies.

It was a Spectre moment.

All of a sudden, you have this villain who 1) has a completely unnecessary familial relationship to the hero and 2) hates the hero because of daddy issues and 3) is defeated in a whimper of a confrontation

Top Bottom