• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel's Luke Cage *SPOILER THREAD* |OT| Where WAS His Money, Honey?

Wouldn't the introduction of something like the Judas Bullet have a huge effect on the MCU? A weapon like that could potentially hurt (or slow down) someone like The Hulk or Thor.
It'll be interesting to see if they do anything with that in the movies.

It would be a damn shame if we don't get any nods to Hammer and their salvaged alien tech in future MCU movies.

Someone needs to free Sam Rockwell from Seagate, goddammit. He was the best part of Iron Man 2.

tmarg

That's the major difference, Luke and Cornell didn't like each other for reasons that felt real because of character positions and actions against each other, while Willis is blaming Luke for parent drama that Luke couldn't couldn't influence in any real way. I would have preferred it if Cornell had found a way to surpass diamond back, or atleast have Mariah take the reins as the primary antagonist.

Cottonmouth was a good character in large part because he wasn't a good villain. He was born into the life and forced into the family business despite never having any actual aptitude for it. He was fucking up from the very first episode. They couldn't have kept him as the main antagonist without completely rewriting the character, which would have been unfortunate since it was really good.

aly

Just finished. The fight with Diamondback fell apart for me because of how awful that costume was and how subpar the fight choreography felt. However overall I loved the show.

I do wonder if Misty Knight will still end up with Danny Rand considering it seems like she's a fair bit older than him in this continuity. Still absolutely stunning though.

Hasn't she always been much older than him though? Naive dude and older chick can work.

Luke Cage and Claire's romance feels much more like authentic love than anything from JJ.

They make for a cute and healthy couple. None of the weird baggage from JJ. Hope Marvel doesn't squash it for comic canon pairing in the end.

I still hold a small candle for MattXClaire, though.

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces
They make for a cute and healthy couple. None of the weird baggage from JJ. Hope Marvel doesn't squash it for comic canon pairing in the end.

I still hold a small candle for MattXClaire, though.

Just wait until Claire gets Coulson'd off in the Defenders.

I really hope that doesn't happen.

Palmer_v1

I need more time to process the season overall, but I wasn't really hyped about any of this, and found it disappointing.

Everything to do with the police was kinda painful. It might just be super hero fatigue, but treating them like vigilante criminals every time is getting old.

Knda hated that so much of the tension required a few idiots to keep secrets, as well as a few people to act deliberately obtuse. Like Willis just letting him get away on two separate occasions.

WTF was with the cops abusing witnesses? It seemed like that was going to lead to something mysterious, but it was apparently just shitty cops?

Generally felt like the civil rights/blm/etc nods were a bit too on the nose. They just take me of out of the show.

Cornell was a far more entertaining antagonist than Diamondback. Willis might be my least favorite villain from all the shows/movies.

Sanctuary

What was up with the flashback in the last episode? I get that a person is usually going to look drastically different as a child than as an adult, but they aren't going to look like a completely different person, and have a different voice as well as height between the ages of around 17 to 30. Young Carl looked nothing like the older version, and his voice and height were totally off. I guess they were supposed to be maybe fifteen or something in the flashback, but they looked closer to twenty.

Cornell was a far more entertaining antagonist than Diamondback. Willis might be my least favorite villain from all the shows/movies.

Not a single villain on this show was compelling in the slightest. Cornell had zero gravitas, and displayed exactly two emotions the entire time: hubris and rage, and his fake, forced laugh was completely annoying.

The actor that played Wilis (*cough* William) Stryker acts the same in every role, and is also always annoying to watch. That stupid fight in the trash man outfit in the last episode didn't help much either.

Shades had zero presence at all, and was pointless on this show. The character might have worked if they had actually used a more fitting actor for the role, but "Juice" was just awful.

Mariah was the only villainous character that came close to being interesting. That was soley on the strength of the acting though, not the script.

Wag

Since Justin Hammer is also imprisoned at Seagate it makes me wonder if he had anything to do with the technology that gave Luke powers?

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member
Was kinda hoping that during that rally speech by Mariah where she mentioned Jessica breaking Purple Man's neck that she was going to call out Daredevil by going hard on the "devil" aspect of it. "We even have the Devil himself in Hell's Kitchen going around taking the law into his own hands!"

KarmaCow

At first I was for the swerve with Cottonmouth getting taken out half way through the series but man they didn't do much with such a drastic change. Diamondback felt out of place and out of nowhere considering how relatively reserved the first half of the season went along.

Still need some more time to digest but it felt kinda played out. Reluctant hero gets turned into a pariah but still has to do the right thing wasn't as hollow as it could be since it worked into the overall message they were going for but it's still another one of those stories.

I'm in for Iron Fist though, especially with how the universe is shaping up and fitting together.

Wouldn't the introduction of something like the Judas Bullet have a huge effect on the MCU? A weapon like that could potentially hurt (or slow down) someone like The Hulk or Thor.

I sincerely doubt either would even be phased by one, Thor's an alien and is basically on par with the Hulk, and Hulk...is the Hulk. Luke's skin is strong, but there isn't any way it's on par with either of them in the MCU. Only thing it could give issue to is really it just being a stronger bullet than usual to most people. Iron man would honestly be the only real "Top Tier" avenger that would see this maybe become a nuisance to him, Cap and the rest just got normal skin anyway so it's just a stronger bullet at the end of the day. Remember Colson shooting Loki with that one weapon before he died in the avengers, that thing only shot Loki off in the distance and didn't break skin he was fine for the rest of the movie, no way those bullets come close to even that gun.

Thor getting stabbed by loki in The avengers technically goes against some of this but that was the dumbest thing ever, guess it was some ASGARDIAN super knife. I've never seen Thor The Dark World though

Sorry if I missed it but anyone post a track listing yet? I'm on episode 6 and this show has got some mad jams.
EDIT: Woah WTF KarmaCow, SPOILERS DUDE.
Dick!

I liked it - it was slow and I like the whole "street" and gangster tone but the immediate shift to diamond back was just to sudden and not a smooth transition. They gave cottonmouth a terrible end. The guy should have gone out better

Like he lost it all and he start playing the piano while diamondback's men are at him. He just keeps playing and these flashbacks happen. He watches the pic of him and pop for one last time and he get shot. Or something like that.

Wag

I sincerely doubt either would even be phased by one, Thor's an alien and is basically on par with the Hulk, and Hulk...is the Hulk. Luke's skin is strong, but there isn't any way it's on par with either of them in the MCU. Only thing it could give issue to is really it just being a stronger bullet than usual to most people. Iron man would honestly be the only real "Top Tier" avenger that would see this maybe become a nuisance to him, Cap and the rest just got normal skin anyway so it's just a stronger bullet at the end of the day. Remember Colson shooting Loki with that one weapon before he died in the avengers, that thing only shot Loki off in the distance and didn't break skin he was fine for the rest of the movie, no way those bullets come close to even that gun.

We have no idea what the Judas bullets are made out of, so we don't know who they would effect, and how.

We have no idea what the Judas bullets are made out of, so we don't know who they would effect, and how.

It's just labeled as some vague "Alien material"

Maybe Thor I guess, but hell I doubt it could even get through Thor's armor let alone his skin. But the Hulk too? Just don't see it doing anything either. Two couldn't even kill Luke right away and he isn't on par with them in my mind in the MCU. Maybe if it even did penetrate both, they still have to have some kind of insane healing factor against even Luke.
DD would just meditate and fix anything tho obviously lol

Well that and we'll probably never hear about it again except for the Netflix shows anyway.

tmarg

We know that they were made by Hammer, and everything he makes is considered sub-par compared to Stark's technology.

I really don't get the feeling that Cage or JJ are supposed to rate particularly highly on the Marvel power scale.

Cracklox

Just finished. Overall I liked it, even if I wanted to love it. A little slow here and there, and it would have been good to have Cottonmouth around longer. His beef with Luke was far more interesting then Diamondbacks. A few thoughts.

- Really loved the soundtrack. From the intro beat to the Ruckus scene and Method Man cameo, to most of the 'live' performances in the club, I found my head nodding alot.
- Luke gets all the pussy. So far he's averaging pretty close to perfect 10s as well
- The Power Man and yellow disco shirt stuff in episode 4, while a little shoehorned, was pretty great
- Diamondback kinda came across as one-dimensional-villian-guy-who-scowls-and monlogues-alot-who-happens to-be-related-to-our-main-protagonist. Cottonmouth was far more nuanced
- His Hammer suit, while faithful, was pretty goofy. Also a decent shot, could have lodged a bullet in his teeth without much problem. Wouldn't last 5 minutes in the auto headshot world of the TWD
- Disappointed we didn't get an unexpected cameo, in the vein of say Kingpin in DD season 2. JJ popping in for a bit, or introducing Danny. Something. Anything. The short Trish talk radio segment was probably the closest thing.
- Method man stuff was great. Good to see it sort of played into the whole people of Harlem being behind Luke too. As opposed to just a fun, goofy cameo. And Meth still got bars
- Rosarios off to star in the next Netflix series as well. Her schedule must've been pretty clear when they started these. Not that I'm complaining.
- Show needed more Bobby Fish

Now, one thing thats been troubling me. When Misty goes to find Clare and Luke after the attack on the ambulance. I know she's going there with the intent of arresting him, but after some explanation from them both she seems to change her mind. She even says ' well there's your alibi' after they mentioned he was in the ambulance that was attacked earlier. That seems like it would be something pretty easily verifiable as well. Instead, she gets a phone call, gets off the phone, gets her stoney-steely face on, and arrests him. Uhhh...

Did I miss something? What about the explanation you were just given, that pretty clearly puts him no where near the scene? That you could, you know, verify in about 5 minutes. You would think, given their relationship, she would want to give him every chance, but nope. I liked Mistys character, but that just seemed off

Village

Shows good
Congrats on getting me to sympathize on some level with the cousins

I hope ratchel shows up in a later marvel thing for a Luke "wait who?" moment.

Adree

I thought the Method Man scene in the bodega was terrible enough but then we get another one so they can cram Sway in there.

Just finished it. Willis was a weak villain. Felt like a cartoon character 90% of the time he was on-screen. The other villains were fine though. None really stood out over the others.

This season, and by extension this series, felt way more like a setup for something in the future (The Defenders) than any of the shows before it. Daredevil S1 and JJ S1 both had pretty definitive endings where the heroes won. They both felt like complete stories in and of themselves IMO, where as this one didn't. This one felt like they needed to keep Cage on the sidelines for a while until Defenders and they wanted more villains going forward so they left them loose.

I'm thinking Hernan 'Shades' Alvarez is a mixture of Victor Alverez and comic shades plus some originality . I foresee him getting powered, but he's smart enough that he'll still play henchman and puppetmaster from that position.

most likely, he's going to show up in Iron Fist.

Volimar

Is it just me or is Mike Colter like...

...the most attractive person to have ever lived.

They really hit it out of the park with the sex appeal in this show.

Also, Misty's beeeeewwwwwwwwbbbbbs. I know it was Netflix, but that still shocked me.

I'm thinking Hernan 'Shades' Alvarez is a mixture of Victor Alverez and comic shades plus some originality . I foresee him getting powered, but he's smart enough that he'll still play henchman and puppetmaster from that position.

most likely, he's going to show up in Iron Fist.

I wonder if he'll get powered or if he'll get his hands on Hammertech Eye Beam glasses.

SRG01

This series is on par with Jessica Jones, which I think is the best of the Marvel Netflix series so far. It's slow, methodical, and doesn't rush itself to get to the ending. Best of all, the show doesn't seem like it was moving from one setpiece to the next, which was my main complaint with Daredevil.

Kalentan

You know the single most disappointing thing in his show is? Why the fuck didn't Misty Knight lose her goddamn arm! Every episode I was hoping this would be the one and they even sort of hint at her arm getting beat up bad in the later episodes.

She better lose it in Defenders. She needs that hammer tech arm.

Neoxon

I'm surprised that they didn't make Misty lose her arm during the hostage situation. I guess she'll end up having to get her bionic arm during the events of Defenders.

Speaking of, wouldn't Iron Fist be a bit too young for MCU Misty Knight (I'm assuming that she's in her early-to-mid 30's, while Iron Fist's actor is likely around Finn Jones' age of 28)? I guess it wouldn't be unheard of, but I'm just going by what I remember them as in the comics.

We know that they were made by Hammer, and everything he makes is considered sub-par compared to Stark's technology.

I really don't get the feeling that Cage or JJ are supposed to rate particularly highly on the Marvel power scale.

Captain America bled more easily than Luke and he can handle himself against aliens and robot folks like it's nothing. I bet Luke and JJ could keep up with the Avengers if it came to it.

Neoxon

Also, aren't the Judas bullets supposed to be an upgraded version of the Ex-Wife that Justin Hammer made?

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
Speaking of, wouldn't Iron Fist be a bit too young for MCU Misty Knight (I'm assuming that she's in her early-to-mid 30's, while Iron Fist's actor is likely around Finn Jones' age of 28)? I guess it wouldn't be unheard of, but I'm just going by what I remember them as in the comics.

Yeah I have no idea why any 28 year old, would want to get intimate with early 30s Misty Knight....no idea at all! Truly confusing! Shocking stuff!

Now that I think about it, MCU Luke vs Cap could be make some good arguments for both sides. What is the strongest feat Luke has shown so far? Cap could hold down a helicopter at most and can withstand a beatdown by Iron Man's suit (see: Civil War). On one hand, Luke could bleed if hit hard enough as seen with his fight with Willis. On the other hand, Cap can't take bullets. Hmm...

Neoxon

Yeah I have no idea why any 28 year old, would want to get intimate with early 30s Misty Knight....no idea at all! Truly confusing! Shocking stuff!
I was initially thinking mid 30's, but early 30's wouldn't be that far off. Either way, it's not that big of an age gap, I was just curious is all.

Mechazawa

Large parts of that finale were clunky as fuck, in terms of what was happening(hoooly fuck who designed Diamondback's suit) and in terms of dialogue, but man, the ride down was so good.

Cottonmouth was the real stand out of the show so it was a real bummer to see him go out so soon, but I ended up warming up a lot to Diamondback by the end.

"Bye Felicia"

Also, that lady playing Mariah Dillard acted her ass off.

More than anything, though, I was just genuinely surprised to see how funny the show was. I've never cracked up with any of the other Marvel stuff the way I did with this.

Top Bottom