• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel's Secret Wars Hype Thread - Where we argue about what "reboot" means

Nesotenso

Ahem.

speed3.png
Dan Slott at his finest.

rakhir

Soooo, this will be a thing after Secret Wars or what? If so, an adult dad Peter mentoring teenage Miles would be cool. Marvel will finally have their cake and eat it too, since they will have a young, likeable Spider and an older one as well.

Also, I don't think they will ditch the idea of other universes alltogether, since Spider-Gwen is a huge thing now and i can't see any way they could merge that story into 616.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
The incursions are killing off the multiverse. It was 'infinite' at one point but was definitively down to "a few hundred thousand' a couple months ago.

By the time secret wars starts, only a couple dozen realities being left is perfectly plausible.

a couple dozen could be any number within a hundred, and since we know the live action, animated series as well as the universes that are off limits by marvel will not be taking place in this, then yes, a multiverse will still exist

Parallax

Maybe they can take a page from Tokusatsu and Miles can become Spider-Man Black (.........Referring to the color of the Costume of course...)

so wed have spider man, spider woman, scarlet spider, silk, spider man black(yeah, thats not happening) spider girl and possibly 2099 all in one universe? they should make a team called the spiders, and give the goblin family a run for their money

Credo

As someone who has been wanting to get into Marvel comics for a while now but has been overwhelmed by continuity, different universes, etc., would this Secret Wars event be a good place to jump in? Or is there even enough information out after today's event for any of you to make a recommendation?

rakhir

Miles can be Spider-Boy, two Spider-Men would be confusing imo especially in coversation.
There are two Hawkeyes already in Marvel, so theres precedent for sharing a name. They manage to do it quite peacefully and it's always funny when they introduce themselves - Miles can be 'also Spider-Man'

As someone who has been wanting to get into Marvel comics for a while now but has been overwhelmed by continuity, different universes, etc., would this Secret Wars event be a good place to jump in? Or is there even enough information out after today's event for any of you to make a recommendation?
Secret Wars will probably be really confusing, but they will have to reboot every comic after the event, so that should be a good start.

Parallax

from what little we know, if continuity and different universes are your hang ups, i dont think this event will help you

graffix13

Yes. Or you could wait until after the dust settles and you have the new 'merged' MCU.

Marvel always tries to sell a good jumping on point but this sounds legit. It's probably as close to a reboot Marvel will do.

There are two Hawkeyes already in Marvel, so theres precedent for sharing a name. They manage to do it quite peacefully and it's always funny when they introduce themselves - Miles can be 'also Spider-Man'
There's also an Uncanny X-Men book starring Cyclops and a Cyclops book starring Cyclops that happen to be two different versions of the same character in the same universe. People will deal with it.

guek

Banned
Jump onto the "marvel now" line

Loke13

Depends on who you favor in this case using wiki can be your best friend when it comes to getting into comics I got into them back in 2011 and wiki helped a lot when it came to brushing up on certain characters and don't be afraid to ask questions on here or ask for recommendations from fellow Gaf members they really know their shit. Do these things and you should be fine.

Also, people should bear in mind this doesn't say much on how the Marvel Universe will look like post-SW. Talking of reboots at this point is like believing the X-Men books were ending forever when Age of Apocalypse launched.

I'm not sure if calling Miles Spider-Boy or Spider-Man Black is a good idea...
That's the fastest way to being shot in the back by a cop.

Lmo911

Maybe they can take a page from Tokusatsu and Miles can become Spider-Man Black (.........Referring to the color of the Costume of course...)

Bah we already have this covered: Amazing Spider-Man (Peter) and Spectacular Spider-Man (Miles). We need to put all those damn titles to use!

Credo

Thanks for the recommendations. I own some of the Marvel Masterworks series (The X-Men, The Uncanny X-Men, Amazing Spider-Man) and the omnibus for Secret Wars 1 & 2, but I'm really only familiar with that "old" Marvel Universe. I'm unfamiliar with most things that happened after the mid 90s, with the exception of Civil War. I've read the wiki pages of a lot of the Marvel characters to try to get updated, but that only helps so much. I'll try to keep up with this new Secret Wars event, and hopefully I'll be able to get into it after that.

Drayco21

Would probably be too confusing branding-wise since the whole point is to end the Ultimate line.

It'd be confusing in-universe too, because the Ultimate universe isn't called 'the ultimate universe', but I guess maybe he could take on the name as a way of honoring The Ultimates of his universe, who are surely all going to die.

So a bunch of universes are merged now is the annoucement?

The thing that was actually treated as an announcement is that the final incursion is between 616 and Ultimate, and that a new universe is going to be created out of those two combining and the remnants of whatever happens in Secret Wars. They also "announced" that there's a bunch of upcoming Secret Wars tie-ins that they'll announce soon.

Mudcrab

So, does the Spider-verse tie into this at all?

Not much besides the leader of the Captain Britain corps mentioning that the Incursions are more important than the Inheritors, a still breathing Spider-UK, and something about the 'Renew Your Vows' Spidey.

kunonabi

Soooo, this will be a thing after Secret Wars or what? If so, an adult dad Peter mentoring teenage Miles would be cool. Marvel will finally have their cake and eat it too, since they will have a young, likeable Spider and an older one as well.

Also, I don't think they will ditch the idea of other universes alltogether, since Spider-Gwen is a huge thing now and i can't see any way they could merge that story into 616.

This is the most hopeful I've been for Spider-Man in years. Not a fan of ultimate being merged but whatever.

Parallax

Not much besides the leader of the Captain Britain corps mentioning that the Incursions are more important than the Inheritors, a still breathing Spider-UK, and something about the 'Renew Your Vows' Spidey.

whoa, what? where did they show this? when the damn stream was going out? fucking marvel

Ultratech

There are no more alternate universes after Battleworld though. That's kinda the point. I think it's easier to explain it as Battleworld being a patch-work universe rather than something being ripped away from another universe.

Man, just thinking about this is fucking dumb, but it could make a really fun action RPG. Lol!

lol

It's sort of the basis for the Warriors Orochi games.

The villain, Orochi, breaks space/time and merges several worlds from multiple points in time together into one patchwork clusterfuck world. (Mostly so he can find somebody to beat him.)

Mudcrab

whoa, what? where did they show this? when the damn stream was going out? fucking marvel

Nah man, it's not Marvel this time. I'm saying Spider-verse has Spidey-UK but we know from New Avengers some event kills him and all the other Britains and presumably forces Brian to join the Illuminati.

Parallax

Nah man, it's not Marvel this time. I'm saying Spider-verse has Spidey-UK but we know from New Avengers some event kills him and all the other Britains and presumably forces Brian to join the Illuminati.

oh, i was about to get hyped. but yeah, i know how that goes down...

616 and Ultimate Universe will combine to form Manhattan in Battleworld. As for continuity you'll have to wait for the story to play out.

So far all we know is that "nothing will ever be the same again" in either universe.
You can sort of read between the lines:

"The Ultimate Universe and the Marvel Universe are going to smash together," editor-in-chief Axel Alonso explained. "Imagine there's two pizzas. They're going to smash together. You're going to have all-new toppings. Some toppings are going to drop off. You're going to yell about some that are missing. You're going to love the new ones that are there. That's the new Marvel universe moving forward.

Read and find out," Alonso said of the possibility of a reboot. "Like I said, we are taking some chances here, but I will stand by -- I think Tom will back me -- our history's not broken. We don't view our history as being broken or something that we need to fix. If anything we think we are building upon that history and we are taking the best and biggest pieces of it and seeing how easily they coexist with one another. We don't expect all our moves to make everyone happy, but we think it will make for a really fascinating read through 'Secret Wars' and beyond.""

I think the way they described the post Secret Wars era is pretty clear... Not only will there be only one Marvel Universe but it will change many parts of 616 and 1610 continuity, with certain parts of continuity being erased. And the different "Battle Worlds" are probably the bits and pieces of Marvel Universe history that this world would be based on.

ie its a reboot that's not being called one.

Pluto

You really want to call the black Spidey Spider-Boy?
Yes, I don't see the problem, what does it have to do with him being black?
He's a teenage version of Spider-Man, I'd call him Spider-Boy for the same reason May was Spider-Girl and Conner and Kara are called Superboy and Supergirl respectively.

LaNaranja

If you have never read anything, I recommend you read the original Secret Wars. Once you have a basic grasp of who the big players in the MCU are, you are pretty much free to jump in wherever.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
No moar Marvel. Pls. Can you just produce good comics without the universe exploding 5 times before lunch?

Dalek

Yes, I don't see the problem, what does it have to do with him being black?
He's a teenage version of Spider-Man, I'd call him Spider-Boy for the same reason May was Spider-Girl and Conner and Kara are called Superboy and Supergirl respectively.

Seriously? In America, there is a long stigma of using the term "Boy" to disparage Black Males, to talk down to them and undermine them-as far back as slave times.

Ultimate Peter returned because OZ makes you immortal

But wasn't
Osborn killed at the end of that arc? Besides, Peter was buried and when he woke up, he was in that ruined and abandoned laboratory =s. I always thought he was kaine all along, but i guess it was the serum and he was at the laboratory because shenanigans.

If OZ makes you immortal then that means
Miles is also immortal

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
I'm saving all of Avengers/New Avengers for reading on the beach during my honeymoon in 2 months.

I don't want to hang around here (and shit, I've been absent from comic-GAF for like 2 years because of this) for fear of spoilers.

Can someone PM me the reading order for Avengers/New Avengers front-to-back?

I found a decent one but it doesn't include any annuals - which I assume should be read at some point.

Thanks... I'll be back, comicGAF.

Soon.

Parallax

You can sort of read between the lines:

I think the way they described the post Secret Wars era is pretty clear... Not only will there be only one Marvel Universe but it will change many parts of 616 and 1610 continuity, with certain parts of continuity being erased. And the different "Battle Worlds" are probably the bits and pieces of Marvel Universe history that this world would be based on.

ie its a reboot that's not being called one.

theres too much variance in the worlds listed for them all to be merged as one. where would the 1602 world fit? how about the zombies world? the SD marville world? there will always be a multiverse. people like what if stories.

Top Bottom