• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel's Secret Wars Hype Thread - Where we argue about what "reboot" means

Blader

They talked up Secret Wars, they talked up Secret Wars some more, and then they confirmed that they will be launching tons of one-shots and limited series during Secret Wars, and they will also be launching new on-going series during and after Secret Wars. Many of these will be announced within the next two weeks.

Unfortunately, none of them can be announced now as this was the announcement that ended all other announcements. :(

Drayco21

Just being a realist. In a perfect world Yost would write it and Silk wouldn't be in it.

I like you. You are a scholar of fine tastes.

Do we know about the state of the 2099 world? Is it going to be a generic 2099 setting, or will it be One Nation Under Doom?

The current Spider-Man 2099 book is returning to 2099 as soon as Spider-Verse ends, and it seems to be in the middle of a Maestro-related problem, so the state of the 2099 universe pre-battleworld will probably be set up there.

Mudcrab

Thinking 2099. Have a feeling one of the unrevealed worlds will be Doom's perfect world he made in FF.

Safe bet. They are making a 'recap' trade with issues and stories relevant to Secret Wars (first issue of New Avengers, etc.) one of those was the issue where Doom creates a universe in his image.

JBourne

maybe tomorrow it rains
Getting into comics is like sex, you won't know what you are doing your first time. So just jump in and experiment, you will find what you like soon enough.
I hear Crossed is a good place to start.

Amy chance of Cancerverse getting some love in Secret Wars?

Furyous

I'm going to be royally pissed if they get rid of the ultimate universe considering Marvel's love of crossovers and major events once a year. Please don't use this as an excuse to get rid of Miles as spider-man. In a perfect world, Spider-Gwen comes to the Ultimate Universe at the end of this crossover.

Dunbar

Sounds like if I can't make sense of Hickman's Avengers, I've got absolutely no chance with this stuff. At least I can save some money in May. :)

Nesotenso

My prediction.

Ultimateverse is gonna go kaboom and a select few will make the jump to the 616.

The only character in the Ultimate Universe which is selling is Miles. Bringing and his cast of characters into 616 would be a mistake. You already have Peter and having duplicate versions of other characters roaming about is going to be a mess.

Yeah, the Ultimate line has outlived it's usefulness: it's not an easier jumping point, it doesn't resonate more than 616 with movies and it doesn't tell better stories. The only redeeming thing there is Miles. It's time they trimmed that shit.

JBourne

maybe tomorrow it rains
I want a universe with a White Panther. Ruler of a super-advanced civilization in a secluded area of Wisconson.

Drayco21

Wouldn't they just erase white fury and Nick Fury jr. and make Ultimate Nick Fury the only Fury of the new universe?

They've already "killed" Nick Fury in Original Sin,
he's now The Watcher
. They wouldn't kill him off again without paying that off in some way.

The current Spider-Man 2099 book is returning to 2099 as soon as Spider-Verse ends, and it seems to be in the middle of a Maestro-related problem, so the state of the 2099 universe pre-battleworld will probably be set up there.

Don't think he's staying in 2099, since Issue #11 seems to be back in the present according to the solicitations.

The only character in the Ultimate Universe which is selling is Miles. Bringing and his cast of characters into 616 would be a mistake. You already have Peter and having duplicate versions of other characters roaming about is going to be a mess.

No different than how it is right now... With 2 Spider-Men (Peter/Miguel), 2 Cyclops, 2 Beasts (3 until a few months ago), 2 Angels, etc.

I'm going to be royally pissed if they get rid of the ultimate universe considering Marvel's love of crossovers and major events once a year. Please don't use this as an excuse to get rid of Miles as spider-man. In a perfect world, Spider-Gwen comes to the Ultimate Universe at the end of this crossover.

It'd suck to lose Ultimate Gwen though since she's probably the best developed Gwen in any medium... Though she's technically a clone, perhaps she can coexist with Spider-Gwen if they end up in the same universe.

Drayco21

Don't think he's staying in 2099, since Issue #11 seems to be back in the present according to the solicitations.

Probably not, but I bet that'll be the same 2099 we see in Secret Wars, so that story arc will at least set the stage for what the environment will be and what state his world will be in during the big merge.

D

Deleted member 20415

Unconfirmed Member
I'm a bit out of the comic book news game... what sites do people even go to nowadays?

Cth

Well, he is
alive again
, apparently. Although I wonder what the point of that storyline was in light of... all this Secret Wars stuff, now. Seems like it's destined to be unresolved.

Heh watch em 616 Peter "adopt"/mentor Ult. Peter and have him."retire"

Sadist

Oh boy.

So Ultimate/616 are fusing?

As long as we keep Ultimate Fury and Miles. Everyone else is bleh.

Oh no

Does this mean we get Jean Grey back for like the third time?

Afrodium

Banned
So if I'm understanding this right, the Marvel universe going forward is just going to be one planet that houses sections of different Marvel universes from various points in time. So how does cosmic stuff fit into this? Will there be a universe outside of Battleworld? They keep making it sound like Battleworld is the be all end all, but that can't be true. How does Galactus function if there's only one planet? What's gonna happen to the Kree and Skrull and Centurians and all the other alien races. Is Marvel really never going to write a story involving a parallel universe or a pocket universe ever again? I'm curious to see what this new Marvel universe ends up looking like.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
So if I'm understanding this right, the Marvel universe going forward is just going to be one planet that houses sections of different Marvel universes from various points in time. So how does cosmic stuff fit into this? Will there be a universe outside of Battleworld? They keep making it sound like Battleworld is the be all end all, but that can't be true. How does Galactus function if there's only one planet? What's gonna happen to the Kree and Skrull and Centurians and all the other alien races. Is Marvel really never going to write a story involving a parallel universe or a pocket universe ever again? I'm curious to see what this new Marvel universe ends up looking like.

seeing as how theres countless marvel universes, and theres only so many slots on battleworld, there will be a multiverse outside of the event

Battleworld is just for the secret wars event. It will not be the marvel universe "going forward." It's time is up after a year.

What the MU looks like AFTER that is anyone's guess

TwoDurans

"Never said I wasn't a hypocrite."

Ahem.

speed3.png

seeing as how theres countless marvel universes, and theres only so many slots on battleworld, there will be a multiverse outside of the event

The incursions are killing off the multiverse. It was 'infinite' at one point but was definitively down to "a few hundred thousand' a couple months ago.

By the time secret wars starts, only a couple dozen realities being left is perfectly plausible.

So basically nothing new was announced, bummer.

And i'm also on the team "Ultimate will sort of merge with 616". Pity, we'll never know how
Peter came back from the dead

The only good thing that can come out of this, is the absolute annihilation of the Zombie Universe and the Age of Ultron universe.

So basically nothing new was announced, bummer.

And i'm also on the team "Ultimate will sort of merge with 616". Pity, we'll never know how
Peter came back from the dead

The only good thing that can come out of this, is the absolute annihilation of the Zombie Universe and the Age of Ultron universe.

Ultimate Peter returned because OZ makes you immortal

Top Bottom