• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel's Secret Wars Hype Thread - Where we argue about what "reboot" means

Rlan

Goodbye Ultimate Marvel, you won't be missed.

Man, I really enjoy Ultimate Marvel Spider-Man stuff, but they've really been fucking things up. Why is Peter back? Did they have to send in a giant planet eating man into this world? I want local, small stories in Spidey, instead he has to be involved in every bullshit world destroying event.

anaron

What are they dictating?

IF you mean stuff like Cap schooling folks with the Cap armor, yes please more of that.
Shoving Guardians, Inhumans, Captain Marvel down everyone's throats doesn't qualify? Coulson and Nick Jr being brought into the comics?

I'm not necessarily complaining but it's so obvious at this point

Slayven

I can't believe you have such bad Spider-Man taste.

No such thing as a bad Spiderman, just shit that is less fun. Except for Spiderman 2211, too the bushes with that bullshit.

Shoving Guardians, Inhumans, Captain Marvel down everyone's throats doesn't qualify?

I'm not necessarily complaining but it's so obvious at this point
3 books is shoving shit down folks throat?

Marvel to (finally) exit comics business to focus on movies..

I believe at some point Disney's going to realize it's not worth whatever money is coming in to continue pursuing the publishing model as it currently stands, and that it makes much more sense to just use Marvel as an IP farm. You don't need to keep publishing monthly floppies that sell fewer and fewer copies at higher and higher prices to support your film/tv adaptations. You already own the characters. Cut out the inefficient and comparatively unpopular middle step.

It's kinda why I believe that whatever this thing is, it's going to be a much closer supplement to the live-action stuff than what we currently have going. Whether that means reboot, I dunno.

I will say the build-up sure feels a little like 1985 DC Comics with that first Crisis.

Not to say they're going to run that playbook one-to-one at all.

anaron

No such thing as a bad Spiderman, just shit that is less fun. Except for Spiderman 2211, too the bushes with that bullshit.

3 books is shoving shit down folks throat?
It's not just the books, it's everything from tv shows to videogames and whatnot

I don't think it's wrong, per se, I love seeing them make stars of the lesser known properties but even people like Devin Faraci are saying as much - the MCU is influencing the comics more than anything right now

I believe at some point Disney's going to realize it's not worth whatever money is coming in to continue pursuing the publishing model as it currently stands, and that it makes much more sense to just use Marvel as an IP farm. You don't need to keep publishing monthly floppies that sell fewer and fewer copies at higher and higher prices to support your film/tv adaptations. You already own the characters. Cut out the inefficient and comparatively unpopular middle step.

I've always heard that Marvel's publishing division is still profitable though. I don't see why they'd get rid of something that is still making them money.

Slayven

It's not just the books, it's everything from tv shows to videogames and whatnot

I don't think it's wrong, per se, I love seeing them make stars of the lesser known properties but even people like Devin Faraci are saying as much - the MCU is influencing the comics more than anything right now

who?

Wait, isn't DC doing an event similar to secret wars this year?

What if it wasn't simply DC shamelessly ripping off their competition? What if they're crossing over and we're actually getting Marvel vs. DC 2: Electric Boogaloo???

I've always heard that Marvel's publishing division is still profitable though. I don't see why they'd get rid of something that is still making them money.

I didn't say it was losing them money, just that the money they are making is likely becoming less and less worth it to continue maintaining the line as it currently stands.

Now - if they could figure a way to bypass the direct market and get the product in front of way more people, at a lower price point (and make it appeal to a wider audience, which they're definitely doing with a lot of their titles) that'd be something.

But even so - the comics market is so oversaturated and glutted with titles that a streamlining would be necessary, regardless.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"

fuck that. there is such a thing. mcguire spider man is proof of that

What if it wasn't simply DC shamelessly ripping off their competition? What if they're crossing over and we're actually getting Marvel vs. DC 2: Electric Boogaloo???

if they magically get their memory back from the last time, id be all over that

duckroll

I don't think that's really true. Guardians of the Galaxy is the poster child for modern Cosmic Marvel. They were the backbone of most of Abnett/Lanning's run from the end of Annihilation Conquest all the way through to Annihilators. The GotG movie is entirely based on that material. Not the other way round.

Inhumans have also always had a spotlight in Marvel stories. They aren't really able to sustain a popular ongoing series on their own because of the nature of the concept, but they're always there in big ways for many storylines. This isn't something new that just started because AoS started using Inhumans or because they announced an Inhumans movie in 2018. It's been happening for the last four decades.

If the X-Men did become Inhumans, could we technically see an Inhumans MCU movie with the "X-Men"?

Michael-Scott-Closes-The-Door-Awkwardly-On-The-Office.gif

They're doing convergence, which is "enjoy pre nu52 fanservice while we relocate"

Slayven

If you can't see it for yourself then you're just being willfully blind.

You said they are pushing GOTG, Captain Marvel, and Inhumans are taking over comics because of the movies. I just pointed out that a simple glance at current stories and what not shows that not to be true. If reality is not fitting the narrative time to whip out a cosmic cube.

They're doing convergence, which is "enjoy pre nu52 fanservice while we relocate"

According to a USA Today interview with DC Comics Co-publishers Dan DiDio and Jim Lee, the story will feature a plot by the villain The Beyonder Brainiac, who has decided to conduct a great experiment by taking all of the Marvel Earths cities he has bottled from various timelines and planets to Battleworld a planet outside of time and space and then open them all up to see what happens when all of the inhabitants meet.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/11/03/dc-comics-announces-convergence-is-their-next-major-event-in-2015

come on man, it's DC secret wars

duckroll

If you can't see it for yourself then you're just being willfully blind.

I think it is very easy for someone who doesn't read much or any comics at all to draw conclusions because of familiarity. If something doesn't exist in the MCU, lots of people aren't really aware of it, even if it's an ongoing thing in the comics. That's fine. After something is announced for the MCU or appears in it, suddenly lots of people are more familiar, and start to recognize that it's heavily used in the comics.

That's not to say there's zero synergy. That would be silly because this is the entertainment business after all. Sure, there are things which the popularity of the movies have influenced, but they tend to be minor superficial things, usually because even the people making these comics are probably fans of the original stuff which come from the movies. But in terms of meaningful influence and the direction of storylines and the use of characters, nope, not seeing it.

anaron

You said they are pushing GOTG, Captain Marvel, and Inhumans are taking over comics because of the movies. I just pointed out that a simple glance at current stories and what not shows that not to be true. If reality is not fitting the narrative time to whip out a cosmic cube.

I didn't say they were dictating storylines (yet) but that they are pushing their film IPs in the comics and related media prior to formal film announcements and it's obvious the effect the MCU is having in the wider decision making

Slayven

Is Scorn coming back?

I think it is very easy for someone who doesn't read much or any comics at all to draw conclusions because of familiarity. If something doesn't exist in the MCU, lots of people aren't really aware of it, even if it's an ongoing thing in the comics. That's fine. After something is announced for the MCU or appears in it, suddenly lots of people are more familiar, and start to recognize that it's heavily used in the comics.

That's not to say there's zero synergy. That would be silly because this is the entertainment business after all. Sure, there are things which the popularity of the movies have influenced, but they tend to be minor superficial things, usually because even the people making these comics are probably fans of the original stuff which come from the movies. But in terms of meaningful influence and the direction of storylines and the use of characters, nope, not seeing it.

Thank you, put it better then I could.

There's a few things here and there- Rocket Raccoon #1 selling a bazillion copies probably had more than a little to do with the MCU, but I agree with you in the broader sense. Marvel has learned that the films don't really translate very well into long term success with their print publications, so you aren't likely to see Spider Man randomly getting organic web shooters because that's what worked in the films again.

Is Scorn coming back?.

oh there's plenty of Scorn for it already here if you catch what I mean

duckroll

I didn't say they were dictating storylines (yet) but that they are pushing their film IPs in the comics and related media prior to formal film announcements and it's obvious the effect the MCU is having in the wider decision making

The Marvel creative universe isn't unified though. The comics are the comics (and even then, split between normal continuity and the Ultimates universe), while all "related media" are whatever they are. The MCU definitely has a huge influence on related media, because let's be honest you don't make stuff which doesn't have a huge audience. If you're making merchandising for general audiences and kids, if you're making cartoons, if you're making licensed videogames, you want to target the most popular IPs. The movies give the IPs that exposure which comics alone would never be able to. That's unquestionable.

But as far as Marvel specifically pushing comics in line with MCU, it's something people talk about a lot superficially but there is really no practical evidence of meaningful influence.

The Marvel creative universe isn't unified though. The comics are the comics (and even then, split between normal continuity and the Ultimates universe), while all "related media" are whatever they are. The MCU definitely has a huge influence on related media, because let's be honest you don't make stuff which doesn't have a huge audience. If you're making merchandising for general audiences and kids, if you're making cartoons, if you're making licensed videogames, you want to target the most popular IPs. The movies give the IPs that exposure which comics alone would never be able to. That's unquestionable.

But as far as Marvel specifically pushing comics in line with MCU, it's something people talk about a lot superficially but there is really no practical evidence of meaningful influence.

Exactly. Or as I put it the last time, Avengers is huge and a sequel is coming, so of course this is a perfect time to turn Steve Rogers 90 years old, captain America into a flying black guy and give Thor impeccable cleavage.

anaron

Whie I'm not terribly confident that it's not having the effect I think it might, I definitely agree with a lot of those points.

I guess I'm leaning on the idea because of people like Faraci saying as much and the additional things like cancelling FF and the twins losing Magneto as their father, but we'll see where it all goes.

Slayven

Exactly. Or as I put it the last time, Avengers is huge and a sequel is coming, so of course this is a perfect time to turn Steve Rogers 90 years old, captain America into a flying black guy and give Thor impeccable cleavage.

But that Redneck Carnage.......you know how long I wanted someone's last words to be "Play some Freebird"?

Drayco21

Whie I'm not terribly confident that it's not having the effect I think it might, I definitely agree with a lot of those points.

I guess I'm leaning on the idea because of people like Faraci saying as much and the additional things like cancelling FF and the twins losing Magneto as their father, but we'll see where it all goes.

Fantastic Four is already confirmed for getting a relaunch- it's just the current run that's being canceled, and Magneto being their father was a retcon to begin with so it's all cyclical anyway.

But that Redneck Carnage.......you know how long I wanted someone's last words to be "Play some Freebird"?

It's a shame they already
brought him back from the dead- he was only gone for like one whole issue, and I really liked that he got to go out as a hero. Would've liked that to stick for a little while.

Can you imagine if there was a storyline where Marvel has one of these avengers wipe out all of the mutants so Marvel can use anyone they want in their movies and Fox can go screw themselves?

Oh wait, it already happened? Mutants are almost wiped out by the Scarlet Witch literally saying 'No More Mutants'? Damn, Marvel has been planning this for a long time!

ZoddGutts

If the X-Men did become Inhumans, could we technically see an Inhumans MCU movie with the "X-Men"?

haha. Reminds me how X-Men fanboys on ComicbookResources forum reacted when Uncanny Inhumans was announced, they lost their shit, panicking as if their dozens of X-Men was in danger of being cancelled or some shit like that. smh

anaron

Magneto being their father was a retcon to begin with so it's all cyclical anyway.

C'mon, he's been their dad for so long now and in multiple versions that it's silly to think this specific instance isn't a case of changing it due to external factors.

He came back from this, was there any doubt?

1313637-asvscarn.jpg

Waiting for someone to retcon Cletus kasady into an External.

Who remembers cannonball is immortal and can't be killed? What do you mean everyone forgot? That's a hell of a thing for the xmen to have a collective brain fart about

Slayven

Can you imagine if there was a storyline where Marvel has one of these avengers wipe out all of the mutants so Marvel can use anyone they want in their movies and Fox can go screw themselves?

Oh wait, it already happened? Mutants are almost wiped out by the Scarlet Witch literally saying 'No More Mutants'? Damn, Marvel has been planning this for a long time!

Joe Quasada is a member of the Cabal.

C'mon, he's been their dad for so long now and in multiple versions that it's silly to think this specific instance isn't a case of changing it due to external factors.
Whizzer_I_001.gif

Waiting for someone to retcon Cletus kasady into an External.

Who remembers cannonball is immortal and can't be killed? What do you mean everyone forgot? That's a hell of a thing for the xmen to have a collective brain fart about
He legally can't be immortal remember?

It is odd, but doesn't really seem to be the result of any grand long term planning.

Axis as a whole being extremely questionable from the jump aside, if solicits are to be believed the high evolutionary is supposed to be their father, or at the very least heavily involved in their birth, and will have a big role in uncanny avengers.

The issue here is that H.E. was being propped up as the big bad of New warriors along with the eternals in a plotline dealing with the celestials coming back. That whole thing got cut off at the knees and wrapped up prematurely thanks to bad sales on the part of New warriors. This isn't speculation, that shit was ABRUPT.

They wouldn't/ couldn't have used him in both places. Had New Warriors not tanked I don't think we'd be seeing this parenthood plot.

Top Bottom