• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel's Secret Wars Hype Thread - Where we argue about what "reboot" means

Blader

This is the same Bendis who said an Avengers movie would never happen and talked shit about DC when they made the decision to go same-day digital and insisted Marvel would never "fuck store owners over like that". Don't believe his lies.

Bendis can also literally do whatever he wants. Few other writers at Marvel have the kind of clout and freedom he does. So if there is any kind of editorial mandate happening, it's not like he of all people has to be beholden to it.

also, lol @ this:

The writers don't do that stuff with the thought of, "I want this to be in a movie."

Mark Millar's based his whole career on that thought!

Neoxon

Bendis can also literally do whatever he wants. Few other writers at Marvel have the kind of clout and freedom he does. So if there is any kind of editorial mandate happening, it's not like he of all people has to be beholden to it.

also, lol @ this:

Mark Millar's based his whole career on that thought!
This would explain why Bendis was able to make new mutants despite Chris Claremont's claims to the contrary.

There is literally 0% chance of it being a reboot. Marvel doesn't do reboots, there is no indication of such, and a new Secret Wars is something Hickman and Marvel has been planning for years now. The only people who talk about "reboot" are those who don't read comics.

It doesn't have to be called a "reboot" to have a similar effect as something like "New 52" though... For example OMD was basically a "reboot" for the entire Spider-Man line that drastically changed the continuity and entire character dynamics of the franchise but wasn't really called one.

Something like the O5 of the X-Men going back in time and changing history for the X-Men would be similar (and seems to be what Bendis is leading up to). The way Secret Wars is being presented with multiple realities being merged together seems to indicate that 616 as we know it MAY be shaken up drastically in the end of it all. So any sort of ambiguity to history and continuity added to the 616 timeline that would give writers the freedom to change things up in the present would give a "reboot"-like effect.

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air
"We are finally undoing ONE MORE DAY"

;_;

mjcry1.png

Patryn

I kind of liked the theory that instead of a reboot Marvel may instead by changing the nature of the elastic timeline.

If you're not aware, the theory comes from recent comics that indicated that Galactus was defeated in 1963 and the X-Men were around in the '60s as well. The idea is that you send the Fantastic Four and X-Men back to that period, so they're no longer part of the modern Marvel Universe. So they remain an important building block of the comic universe, but you don't really have to deal with them too much in the modern day. In addition, by setting X-Men comics back in the past, you also get the closer tie to the modern X-Men movies that are period pieces.

Meanwhile, you have the Avengers, GOTG, etc, etc. all keeping an elastic timeline and being set in the present.

Neoxon

I kind of liked the theory that instead of a reboot Marvel may instead by changing the nature of the elastic timeline.

If you're not aware, the theory comes from recent comics that indicated that Galactus was defeated in 1963 and the X-Men were around in the '60s as well. The idea is that you send the Fantastic Four and X-Men back to that period, so they're no longer part of the modern Marvel Universe. So they remain an important building block of the comic universe, but you don't really have to deal with them too much in the modern day. In addition, by setting X-Men comics back in the past, you also get the closer tie to the modern X-Men movies that are period pieces.

Meanwhile, you have the Avengers, GOTG, etc, etc. all keeping an elastic timeline and being set in the present.
Marvel's trying their best to not promote the Fox movies, so I'm not sure if that would be the case.

That's not how the sliding timeline works.
The start of the marvel era is traced back to fantastic four #1, which is about 15 years or so ago in-universe time. The FF were now attempting to get to mars when their accident happened, not the moon.

As for the Xmen, battle of the atom and all new Xmen place Xmen #1 firmly in the late 90s.

The only "hero" active in 1963 was the original Nick fury, which "original sin" makes very clear.

This sounds like another crackpot "marvel is getting rid of the FF and Xmen" theory with no real basis to it.

E the Shaggy

People are saying Marvel wouldn't do a reboot, but I don't know. I'm sure they were looking at the dollar signs DC was getting with the advent of the New 52 and were certainly thinking about it themselves. This could very well be that.

Patryn

Marvel's trying their best to not promote the Fox movies, so I'm not sure if that would be the case.

But it's not so much promoting them as it is acknowledging that they're going to keep publishing X-Men and might as well take advantage of the popularity of the current series. It also allows them to exile the X-Men and avoid having them involved in any major cross-overs that will be heavily promoted.

The start of the marvel era is traced back to fantastic four #1, which is about 15 years or so ago in-universe time. The FF were now attempting to get to mars when their accident happened, not the moon.

As for the Xmen, battle of the atom and all new Xmen place Xmen #1 firmly in the late 90s.

The only "hero" active in 1963 was the original Nick fury, which "original sin" makes very clear.

I was wrong. Galactus was defeated in 1966 according to a recent comic:

Image-77-600x436.jpg

And the X-Men were around in 1963:

SCHISM3_03-e1419764107823-600x306.jpg

Here's the theory, btw.

Slayven

To be fair I am sure I am the only one that read this book

Marvel_The_Lost_Generation_Vol_1_10.jpg

People are saying Marvel wouldn't do a reboot, but I don't know. I'm sure they were looking at the dollar signs DC was getting with the advent of the New 52 and were certainly thinking about it themselves. This could very well be that.
They can accomplish the same thing with a number 1. Especially since that boost was like for one month and since then Marvel still owns the majority of comic sales in the industry.

This would explain why Bendis was able to make new mutants despite Chris Claremont's claims to the contrary.

Claremont contradicted himself, when he made new mutant characters

To be fair I am sure I am the only one that read this book

Marvel_The_Lost_Generation_Vol_1_10.jpg

They can accomplish the same thing with a number 1. Especially since that boost was like for one month and since then Marvel still owns the majority of comic sales in the industry.

Claremont contradicted himself, when he made new mutant characters

I had to Google that. I probably should have said "modern" hero, since I knew there were a couple of oddballs running around during that time. Some long lived characters like Kraven, magneto and wolverine were also "around" though not heroes at the time, etc etc

Slayven

I had to Google that. I probably should have said "modern" hero, since I knew there were a couple of oddballs running around during that time. Some long lived characters like Kraven, magneto and wolverine were also "around" though not heroes at the time, etc etc

One of the characters in the book was an Inhuman,........ Wait a minute, goddamn it Marvel been planing on turning mutants into Inhumans for years.

But it's not so much promoting them as it is acknowledging that they're going to keep publishing X-Men and might as well take advantage of the popularity of the current series. It also allows them to exile the X-Men and avoid having them involved in any major cross-overs that will be heavily promoted.

I was wrong. Galactus was defeated in 1966 according to a recent comic:

Image-77-600x436.jpg

And the X-Men were around in 1963:

SCHISM3_03-e1419764107823-600x306.jpg

Here's the theory, btw.

Your first comic is from the uncanny Xmen annual. I can tell you didn't actually read that, because the context there is that one of the Xmen was drastically changing the marvel timeline by traveling back and forth from the prehistoric era to the far future. None of that is Canon.

No time to Google the second but it's likely similarly out of context. Scott summers would be 60 years old by now if Xmen 1 was in the 1960s. He isn't, and the Cyclops mini series actually puts his FATHER at this age.

Your theory is wrong.

Slayven

Your first comic is from the uncanny Xmen annual. I can tell you didn't actually read that, because the context there is that one of the Xmen was drastically changing the marvel timeline by traveling back and forth from the prehistoric era to the far future. None of that is Canon.

No time to Google the second but it's likely similarly out of context. Scott summers would be 60 years old by now if Xmen 1 was in the 1960s. He isn't, and the Cyclops mini series actually puts his FATHER at this age.

Your theory is wrong.

The second panel is probably an homage/in joke since the X-men debuted in 1963

Patryn

Your theory is wrong.

I didn't come up with the theory. I listed the origination of the theory in the link. I fully admit it's likely wrong. I just said that I liked the theory.

The second panel is probably an homage/in joke since the X-men debuted in 1963

That's likely.

I didn't come up with the theory. I listed the origination of the theory in the link. I fully admit it's likely wrong. I just said that I liked the theory.

That's likely.

Not saying it's "your theory" as in "you came up with it", just as in you're the one citing it.

The more I read it, the worse it gets, it's totally crackpot. That individual is saying marvel is going to stick the Xmen in the 60s and kill them all off to get back at Fox.

This wouldn't even work, since Fox owns all concepts even remotely related to "mutants" no matter what time period they're in all the way up to 2099. That galactus comic re established that the Xmen 2099 are still a thing, ironically so the Xmen aren't going anywhere.

Marvel would have to eliminate the concept of mutants entirely, which they're not going to do, because they already did that and called it Decimation.

Neoxon

Marvel usually just does relaunches along the lines of Marvel NOW instead of doing a full reboot. It rejuvenates interest in their comics & maintains the current continuity. Everyone wins.

dc had a 4 month or so sales boost before things went down to normal. If a dc reboot was something they were interested in, they would've done it one of the other 4 times dc did it

Its secret wars. Im curious how family pete is safe from slotts wrath, but im sure its gonna piss me off anyway.
He'll probably end up with his legs crushed by having Spider-Gorilla from Earth 2653 dropped on him or something like that.

After Avengers 40 Marvel can burn the whole comics division down
Shit, I need to start reading this week's books.
Short of really fucking up the conclusion, this whole run will probably one of my favorites ever.

E the Shaggy

In no world do I want this to happen. Peter Parker in random relationship drama is part of his charm.

Agree to disagree on this one as I grew up on married Peter and still loved the character.

I think, at this point, people aren't so adamant about him getting married again but moreso the very fact that he made a deal with the devil, as if that's somehow a better lesson for kids reading the book than divorce for whatever reason.

Man, the backpedaling on Mephisto being the devil by Marvel during that time was amazing.

"No, no. You see Mephisto is just a red guy who lives in hell who makes deals with people for their souls!"

Agree to disagree on this one as I grew up on married Peter and still loved the character.

I think, at this point, people aren't so adamant about him getting married again but moreso the very fact that he made a deal with the devil, as if that's somehow a better lesson for kids reading the book than divorce for whatever reason.

Man, the backpedaling on Mephisto being the devil by Marvel during that time was amazing.

"No, no. You see Mephisto is just a red guy who lives in hell who makes deals with people for their souls!"

Marvel's position has always been that mephisto isn't "the" devil, just a really powerful extradimensional entity that's frequently confused with the mythological devil.

There are several of these on the same level, like Satannish, Lucifer, and Marduk Kurios

Raphael

I have been having a craving for a comic book series lately. You guys think i will be able to read and enjoy this without any knowledge of recent events in MU?

Sing it with me:

Announcements, announcements, annoooooooouuuuuuuuuncements, a terrible death to die, a terrible death to die, a terrible death to be talked to death, a terrible death to die

THis is what the 3rd or 4th event called Secret Wars so far?

It's the fourth. Secret Wars and secret wars 2 were both in the early to mid 80s.

There was a third series called "secret war" that was more miniseries than event and only involved a handful of people in a political storyline. It doesn't really count here.

I have been having a craving for a comic book series lately. You guys think i will be able to read and enjoy this without any knowledge of recent events in MU?

I kind of doubt it- It seems likely to play off of Hickman's 70+ issue run of Avengers/New Avengers and also is going to be taken the other major shakeups into account as well (old man Cap, female Thor, jerk Iron Man, etc).

Once the dust settles after Secret Wars then there will be likely tons of new series starting that will be great points to jump into.

It's rare that there's an event that can't be enjoyed on its own, but this one may not be newbie friendly, there's a ton of buildup that's been going on for years now.

Read spider verse. Probably a better bet and lots of fun.

Slayven

He'll probably end up with his legs crushed by having Spider-Gorilla from Earth 2653 dropped on him or something like that.

Shit, I need to start reading this week's books.
Short of really fucking up the conclusion, this whole run will probably one of my favorites ever.

Make sure you are alone.

In no world do I want this to happen. Peter Parker in random relationship drama is part of his charm.

Parker wasn't in random relationships for almost 30 years and fans were just fine with that. he was married longer than he wasn't in his comic run, folks act like him getting married was some kind of recent mistake?

Parker wasn't in random relationships for almost 30 years and fans were just fine with that. he was married longer than he wasn't in his comic run, folks act like him getting married was some kind of recent mistake?

It's a combination of almost all TV/movie/video game/etc. adaptations use a single Peter rather than a married one and stubborn, bitter, change-hating writers and editors with no sense of the passage of time continuing to act like the marriage was "a recent mistake."

Top Bottom