• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel's Spider-man 2 |OT| - The 19" inches of Venom you're Kraven for

Freeman76

But even when you ignore the graphics, it's the same old, tired game design. I'm only a couple of missions in but so far I had 2 on rails sections with QTE that can't be failed (what's the point), I've set up some stupid radio towers, rode a bicycle and now I'm shooting bees using a drone. Who design that? Does it get better?
Thats Spidey for you, gets a free pass though cos reasons. It does nothing new, but the traversal etc kinda makes up for it. Shows how fucked reviewers are though, any other franchise would get ripped apart for having such boring open world activities, bugs, graphical inconsistencies, and pandering shite story. I still enjoy this game but no way is it a 91 in my book, more of an 80, and even then thats only because the setting is phenomenal, NYC is gorgeous in this (some of the time) and getting around is really fun. The story and sidequest activities though....been there done that, nothing new, and all this pride bullshit and pansie story elements really disappoint me as someone who used to buy the comics day one at the newsagents when I was a kid (yeah im old), they really butchered the essence of spidey in this.

Last edited:

samoilaaa

Thats Spidey for you, gets a free pass though cos reasons. It does nothing new, but the traversal etc kinda makes up for it. Shows how fucked reviewers are though, any other franchise would get ripped apart for having such boring open world activities, bugs, graphical inconsistencies, and pandering shite story. I still enjoy this game but no way is it a 91 in my book, more of an 80, and even then thats only because the setting is phenomenal, NYC is gorgeous in this (some of the time) and getting around is really fun. The story and sidequest activities though....been there done that, nothing new, and all this pride bullshit and pansie story elements really disappoint me as someone who used to buy the comics day one at the newsagents when I was a kid (yeah im old), they really butchered the essence of spidey in this.
whats worse than fucked reviewers is how people blindly buy the game acording to those fucked reviewers without checking the game out from a couple of videos

Luipadre

Pretty disappointed how unpolished this feels sometimes. Lots of stuck into geometry, animation bugs, almost every encounter has atleast 1 unresponsive or stuck enemy.

Also im feeling the sequel fatique. I think im done with 1st party sequels. tlou 2, ragnarok and now this. Too similar to the first one which i understand but... yeah. Gimme new IPs instead. I hope sucker punch is not making tsushima 2

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
John is asking people to try without the patch, he thinks the patch may have introduced more bugs to the game.

F895NEaWoAAtqrT

Last edited:
Pretty disappointed how unpolished this feels sometimes. Lots of stuck into geometry, animation bugs, almost every encounter has atleast 1 unresponsive or stuck enemy.

Also im feeling the sequel fatique. I think im done with 1st party sequels. tlou 2, ragnarok and now this. Too similar to the first one which i understand but... yeah. Gimme new IPs instead. I hope sucker punch is not making tsushima 2
I can agree with almost everything you said but Tlou p2 too similar to part 1??? How?

Last edited:

AlphaDump

Gold Member
Horizon FW is a good looking game, but it never screamed next gen as a package.

Spiderman 2 on the other hand has so much going on with an insane draw distance that just absolutely stunned me during the intro. I got a legitimate adrenaline rush and felt like a kid again. I've never seen a game pull off so much all at once.

Insomniac is flexing so hard on other devs it is insane.

/I did experience a bug during the sandman fight which required a checkpoint restart. Not a big deal but had the same w/ Miles too.

This game seems incredibly well polished on my playthrough(bought digitally). And, while I understand the idea of sequel fatigue, GOT2 is the one Sony game that can vastly improve over the first game.

If Sony are still pumping out sequel after sequel with little innovation like Halo, Gears of War, or Far Cry, I would agree, but I think it is little absurd to complain about sequel fatigue after 1 sequel.

Interesting that this game takes so long to download.

Is that the solid state drive in action? You can get to anywhere in New York so quickly that it needs to be downloaded and ready.

Where as other games don't need to do this so can just download the first couple of levels and the rest can be done while playing?

Or I have I got that completely wrong?

Luipadre

This game seems incredibly well polished on my playthrough(bought digitally). And, while I understand the idea of sequel fatigue, GOT2 is the one Sony game that can vastly improve over the first game.

If Sony are still pumping out sequel after sequel with little innovation like Halo, Gears of War, or Far Cry, I would agree, but I think it is little absurd to complain about sequel fatigue after 1 sequel.

My game is buggy af. Started another main misson, MJ stuck in an animation loop while my character stuck on a bench, had to reload the game. This isnt what im used to from 1st party. Im about to ditch this and wait for patches, it breaks my immersion every corner

It's because the gameplay template they have has little room to grow and they avoid complexity like the plague. The focus on narrative over gameplay is limiting the possibilities of what can be done, and if the narrative isn't that strong, then the game becomes tiring. GOW Ragnarok, Spiderman 2, The Last of Us, and Ghost of Tsushima to a slightly lesser extent suffer from very safe gameplay that emphasizes cinematics over fun. They insert slow walking sections that drag on to keep that "cinematic" feel rather than letting the player run around and fuck around while "important" dialogue is being delivered. Gameplay complexity is minimized for the sake of mass appeal, and the sequels add very little on top of the base gameplay to make it feel any more compelling.

Last edited:
It's because the gameplay template they have has little room to grow and they avoid complexity like the plague. The focus on narrative over gameplay is limiting the possibilities of what can be done, and if the narrative isn't that strong, then the game becomes tiring. GOW Ragnarok, Spiderman 2, The Last of Us, and Ghost of Tsushima to a slightly lesser extent suffer from very safe gameplay that emphasizes cinematics over fun. They insert slow walking sections that drag on to keep that "cinematic" feel rather than letting the player run around and fuck around while "important" dialogue is being delivered. Gameplay complexity is minimized for the sake of mass appeal, and the sequels add very little on top of the base gameplay to make it feel any more compelling.
First off, GOW and TLOU2 has A tier gameplay that is amazingly satisfying. Not every game needs to be soulslike, where there is an incredibly high learning curve, especially with an IP like Spider-Man. While, I agree, Sony doesn't reinvent gameplay loops, they do a terrific job perfecting already existing ones. They give give gamers amazing graphics, compelling stories, polished games, and rock solid gameplay

LordCBH

I keep seeing posts about bugs but I haven’t really encountered any? Or at least I haven’t noticed any. I crashed once in the first hour of the game but then it’s been very smooth sailing for me.

MAX PAYMENT

I keep seeing posts about bugs but I haven’t really encountered any? Or at least I haven’t noticed any. I crashed once in the first hour of the game but then it’s been very smooth sailing for me.
Definitely have had some major ones. Including lighting bugs that made characters glow.

18b52adfb5c96-screenshot-Url.jpg

Last edited:

That's how it happens with most games.

99% people don't see them.

Cyberpunk at launch was good experience for some people, especially on PC where performance was not an issue.

Forsete

I have seen 3 bugs.

1 floating cup in Harrys tech center.

Howard mission didn't trigger, reload from checkpoint fixed it.

Doing one of the crystal missions, I had cleared out the area of enemies and then when I grabbed the crystal I couldn't crack it open, because the camera didn't move to the "over the shoulder view". Reload from checkpoint solved it, but I had to clear out the area again.

OverHeat

« generous god »
Honest question my son as the game on is PS5 right now should I play it now or wait is performance mode a lot uglier then fidelity?
I will double dip for it for sure on PC but the hype make me want to play it now lol

Forsete

Honest question my son as the game on is PS5 right now should I play it now or wait is performance mode a lot uglier then fidelity?
I will double dip for it for sure on PC but the hype make me want to play it now lol
It is lower resolution for sure.

I play it in Fidelity 40 fps.

Shakka43

Felicia has been confirmed bi for a long time lol
2 years is not a long time. It's one of those pandering things that has plagued media entertainment for a little while now. The reckoning of established characters instead of creating new ones is all new writers can do these days.

Toons

2 years is not a long time. It's one of those pandering things that has plagued media entertainment for a little while now. The reckoning of established characters instead of creating new ones is all new writers can do these days.

It was arguably implied long before that. It was confirmed 2 years ago. A lot of characters in marvel had been intended to be lgbt early as the 80s but you just couldn't do that stuff back then, because corporate media was pandering to more traditional Christian values.

Not every form of representation is automatically pandering imo. To me, a character like Felicia being bi almost feels like a given.

Ronin_7

This game is phenomenal hot damn.

The transversal is pure perfection and graphics are on point.

Strong GoTy contender but hard Year to win.

Still, amazing work.

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
My game is buggy af. Started another main misson, MJ stuck in an animation loop while my character stuck on a bench, had to reload the game. This isnt what im used to from 1st party. Im about to ditch this and wait for patches, it breaks my immersion every corner

I’ve had three separate fights where the final enemy is caught in or under geometry and I’m unable to reach them to finish it off. Had to reload the checkpoint.

Also had a case where I swung right into a building, clipped through and got stuck. Had to reload.

Never had these issues in past Insomniac games

Last edited:

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
I’m waiting for lazy mother in law to bring me a PlayStation gift card before I can get this game. My birthday was a week ago. She literally lives 3 minutes away.

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
You call her lazy but won’t get of your butt to earn money to buy the game yourself?
Oh, I have the money, it’s just that I told my wife I was going to use the gift card for Spider-Man. So if I pay for the game 100% out of pocket, my wife will question why I couldn’t just wait.

Funny thing is, I’m only expecting the gift card to be $10-$20

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
Oh, I have the money, it’s just that I told my wife I was going to use the gift card for Spider-Man. So if I pay for the game 100% out of pocket, my wife will question why I couldn’t just wait.

Funny thing is, I’m only expecting the gift card to be $10-$20

Are you trying to say that your mother in law is not only lazy but also stingy?

Topher

Gold Member
Just completed cleaning out a base and I have to say Insomniac improved on that greatly. Lots of levels and a larger footprint overall rather than a relatively squared off area with a couple of raised floors in the previous games. Trying to 100% stealth the bases and it isn't as easy. First one had to restart a couple of times.

Last edited:
Top Bottom