• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel's Spider-man 2 |OT| - The 19" inches of Venom you're Kraven for

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
Just completed cleaning out a base and I have to say Insomniac improved on that greatly Lots of levels and a larger footprint overall rather than a relatively squared off area with a couple of raised floors in the previous games. Trying to 100% stealth the bases and it isn't as easy. First one had to restart a couple of times.
That was always fun with Miles Morales, trying to clear a base with stealth.

ManaByte

Gold Member
Oh, I have the money, it’s just that I told my wife I was going to use the gift card for Spider-Man. So if I pay for the game 100% out of pocket, my wife will question why I couldn’t just wait.

Funny thing is, I’m only expecting the gift card to be $10-$20
Kevin James Kingofqueens GIF by TV Land

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
Just completed cleaning out a base and I have to say Insomniac improved on that greatly Lots of levels and a larger footprint overall rather than a relatively squared off area with a couple of raised floors in the previous games. Trying to 100% stealth the bases and it isn't as easy. First one had to restart a couple of times.

Yeah the stealth sections and picking off guys one by one I’m finding super satisfying.

Web line just makes you straight nasty

samoilaaa

This game is phenomenal hot damn.

The transversal is pure perfection and graphics are on point.

Strong GoTy contender but hard Year to win.

Still, amazing work.
you think a game deserves game of the year because of transversal and graphics ? ffs

does it excell at story , level design , how is the pacing , is the ending satisfying ? , how meaningfull are the side activities ? , how interactive is the open world

Last edited:

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
Yuri is back and they totally butchered her hair into the usual Karen lesbo cut. Jesus fucking christ dude 😂 It just doesn’t stop

iZYCIV0.jpg

Last edited:

Hugare

What a sad fucking life you live to care so much if Felicia is bissexual, or you have some gay couple in a sidequest

Man, who fucking cares? I'm much more bothered by the poorly designed sidequests and tutorials, for example

Game can look great sometimes. The draw distance is nuts, and the lighting is really great. No pop in at all, which is impressive. But character models are really, really bad, with really awful skin shaders and bad facial animations. They look last gen by a lot.

The visuals are really inconsistent, looking awesome in some aspects and very last gen at others.

Mission design and pacing have been not great so far. Great boss fight at the start, but then the game presents you with so many tutorials, all at once. That school section was boring af.

Combat is ok, but I still think its a poor's man Arkham. There's more enemy variety now, enemies that you have to counter at the right time to dodge and etc., but you can just hold square to open their block and finish them off all the same.

Hopefuly the game will improve its mission design as I play more of it

Last edited:

Nankatsu

Gold Member
Ive been playing this game with a huge smile on my face all day. Insomniac games are always a blast to play!
Loving the experience so far. Doing side missions and suddenly you’re fighting side to side with the other spider man is awesome btw!

True. Was doing a gang activity and a yellow flash just appears out of nowhere. I was like "wtf is that" and turns out it was Miles helping me out.

I'm finding combat harder than in previous games, but I don't mind to be honest.

Last edited:

Agent_Nobody

Gold Member
What a sad fucking life you live to care so much if Felicia is bissexual, or you have some gay couple in a sidequest

Man, who fucking cares? I'm much more bothered by the poorly designed sidequests and tutorials, for example

Game can look great sometimes. The draw distance is nuts, and the lighting is really great. No pop in at all, which is impressive. But character models are really, really bad, with really awful skin shaders and bad facial animations. They look last gen by a lot.

The visuals are really inconsistent, looking awesome in some aspects and very last gen at others.

Mission design and pacing have been not great so far. Great boss fight at the start, but then the game presents you with so many tutorials, all at once. That school section was boring af.

Combat is ok, but I still think its a poor's man Arkham. There's more enemy variety now, enemies that you have to counter at the right time to dodge and etc., but you can just hold square to open their block and finish them off all the same.

Hopefuly the game will improve its mission design as I play more of it
Just on visuals:

The noon time of day really makes the NPC’s look like crap in certain spots…kinda like in Jedi:Survivor, where despite having RT GI and shadows and being fairly accurate lighting-wise it just looked like crap visually right around the same time of day on the main planet...There’s a reason why film crews still need lighting guys even in broad daylight.

Some of the reconstruction artifacts can rear their head too; Like it having a hard time with things just coming into view with high contrast, usually at night with reflections. Basically: high contrast + high speed/change = artifacts.

Only other thing is some minor quick close up shots have what seems almost like mini-heatwave effect that’s kinda jittery….but I kinda remember the same thing from the previous games too (but I don’t think that’s from reconstruction).

Last edited:

Nankatsu

Gold Member
Wait they made Black Cat bisexual now? "My girlfriend is in Paris?"?

Oh Come On Jim Carrey GIF

Not the type of character I expected them to pull this off.

Last edited:

Kuwitzzer

What embargo? You mean since I got my hands on the game, played it (I'm playing it right now) and got disappointed with graphics and same old, tired game design?
You have been mocking the “wizardy” word ever since the review dropped lmao. But of course you were only doing that in your own graphics bubble hivemind thread until now. Is your favorite developer not being called wizards makes you sad sad? Oh! Elaborate the old tired game design. I’m surprised you graphics obsessed even have standards for game design, you people literally hold dear a demo with nothing in it, talking about game design eh.

Last edited:
Thats Spidey for you, gets a free pass though cos reasons. It does nothing new, but the traversal etc kinda makes up for it. Shows how fucked reviewers are though, any other franchise would get ripped apart for having such boring open world activities, bugs, graphical inconsistencies, and pandering shite story. I still enjoy this game but no way is it a 91 in my book, more of an 80, and even then thats only because the setting is phenomenal, NYC is gorgeous in this (some of the time) and getting around is really fun. The story and sidequest activities though....been there done that, nothing new, and all this pride bullshit and pansie story elements really disappoint me as someone who used to buy the comics day one at the newsagents when I was a kid (yeah im old), they really butchered the essence of spidey in this.

Oh god not another one.

decisions

I’m 5 hours in and I’m honestly a bit surprised at how in-your-face and consistent the liberal pandering is. I’m not even saying that’s a bad thing, but the game is very political, much moreso than the first one.

What is bad about clearly ideological storytelling though is that it becomes very predictable and treads ground that has already been covered by the ideology. Hopefully that doesn’t play out and I get more invested with the story.

Top Bottom