• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel's Spider-man 2 |OT| - The 19" inches of Venom you're Kraven for

shubik

i have a little problem and maybe someone has a solution. I started playing yesterday and progressed a few hours when I noticed that I had logged into my PS5 with the account of a friend. I Switches the User back to mine and started the game only to realize that there is no safe game. It’s the same PS5 and when I return back to my friends user account it still has all my progress. Is there any way I can carry over my game progress over to my account?

TheDarkPhantom

Gold Member
Have to say, this game has the most impressive draw distance I've ever seen in a videogame, especially when you consider the density of the architecture combined with the speed you move through the environment. Zero texture pop-in, rock solid 60 FPS, depth of field turned off and everything in the distance is crystal clear. If we look up the term 'technical wizardry' it should just say: "please reference PlayStation's Spider-Man 2".

A few photomode shots, I'll be doing a lot of photography in this game, this set is focused on the sun aesthetics 📸:

JgeNFRj.jpg
uSIEAQP.jpg
W6r0X2E.jpg

GymWolf

Gold Member
It’s true the game CAN look ass sometimes but I haven’t had any issues since the opening sand section actually.

I also switched to the fidelity,120hz, uncapped set up and the game feels 60fps butter smooth with the sexy visuals. So it may have helped doing that.
In uncapped the res go down a lot tho.

I'm using fidelity 40hz smooth locked to maintain the res a bit higher, perf mode looked like absolute ass and 30 mode is choppy.

Kuwitzzer

This game looks really ass sometimes but when it looks nice, it looks like the most beautiful game out there. I feel like Insomniac put most of their effort into the lightning and traversal system, the lightning in this game for me looks insane. Which is why the graphics look much more impressive during the sunset or night time, or rainy weather. Maybe now that their engine has such an incredible lightning system, they can instead reallocate resources to asset quality for their next games.

This game looks really ass sometimes but when it looks nice, it looks like the most beautiful game out there. I feel like Insomniac put most of their effort into the lightning and traversal system, the lightning in this game for me looks insane. Which is why the graphics look much more impressive during the sunset or night time, or rainy weather. Maybe now that their engine has such an incredible lightning system, they can instead reallocate resources to asset quality for their next games.
Yeah the lighting in this game is beautiful. Shame that daytime looks like ass compare to other time of day.

GymWolf

Gold Member
I can't manage to make one of the skill work, the one where you keep pressing triangle to pick an enemy weapon and then press r1 (i think) to hit them with it.

If i keep pressing triangle spidey just attract an enemy towards him with the web instead of taking his weapon.

In the first 2 games you take the weapon with triangle and then keep pressing to swing the weapon in a circle to hit the enemies around, in here the skill works differently but i can't even pick the weapons.

shubik

I can't manage to make one of the skill work, the one where you keep pressing triangle to pick an enemy weapon and then press r1 (i think) to hit them with it.

If i keep pressing triangle spidey just attract an enemy towards him with the web instead of taking his weapon.

In the first 2 games you take the weapon with triangle and then keep pressing to swing the weapon in a circle to hit the enemies around, in here the skill works differently but i can't even pick the weapons.
You have to press triangle a little bit longer. Once the web is attached to the weapon press r1

Hold Triangle then tap R1 once you grab them.

There are a few more moves you can unlock after grabbing them, like slamming them into the ground or into walls/other enemies... it's pretty cool - reminds me of throwing fools around in Arkham Asylum.

I have a 65” OLED CX. Is a personal opinion. But if we’re playing the offensive game. You should remove your fanboy glasses 😂
Sure sure, please tell me about the millions of better looking games please. Maybe calibrate your tv better then 🤣. Also, use the 40fps quality mode. There’s almost no other games on the planet that look the same, or better.

P.S. if you’re saying MJ is butt ugly and scores down your being impressed I do understand, MJ is fucked up beyond 9000.

GymWolf

Gold Member
You have to press triangle a little bit longer. Once the web is attached to the weapon press r1
I do, i don't take my finger away but he just attract mofos instead of ripping their weapons off.

I'm gonna try again.

Does it work on your end?

GymWolf

Gold Member
Hold Triangle then tap R1 once you grab them.

There are a few more moves you can unlock after grabbing them, like slamming them into the ground or into walls/other enemies... it's pretty cool - reminds me of throwing fools around in Arkham Asylum.
Yeah the one when you move them left and right seems fun but i don't know how feasible it is during the chaos on max difficulty, staying still on the ground is not really possible and i don't think the damage is gonna be worthy, probably just a fun thing to use on lower difficulty modes to style on enemies.

Last edited:

dEvAnGeL

Sure sure, please tell me about the millions of better looking games please. Maybe calibrate your tv better then 🤣. Also, use the 40fps quality mode. There’s almost no other games on the planet that look the same, or better.

P.S. if you’re saying MJ is butt ugly and scores down your being impressed I do understand, MJ is fucked up beyond 9000.
Why do you feel “personally” attacked when all im saying is that I don’t think the game looks that incredible? There’s games on ps5 that look better. Without going too far. Horizon FW looks better. I am enjoying the game and to me that’s what matters the most. But i have to say i was expecting more from a presentation point of view.

GymWolf

Gold Member
Why do you feel “personally” attacked when all im saying is that I don’t think the game looks that incredible? There’s games on ps5 that look better. Without going too far. Horizon FW looks better. I am enjoying the game and to me that’s what matters the most. But i have to say i was expecting more from a presentation point of view.
We have the graphical fidelity topic to discuss the flaws of games without being attacked by sensible people, you are welcome buddy :messenger_kissing_smiling:

ManaByte

Gold Member

I‘ve had a Sandman crystal get stuck as a strange camera angle while breaking it, causing me to reload a checkpoint and then I had a random crash while swinging through the city.

sigmaZ

As someone with the same TV Horizon easily wins on visuals. Spiderman 2 still looks nice especially with certain textures there are lots of little inconsistencies when it comes to certain aspects of the graphics. Doesn't ruin the game at all but it's not really that groundbreaking.

Thick Thighs Save Lives

NeoGAF's Physical Games Advocate Extraordinaire
I got that error with digital. Took me 4 tries then it installed.
If what this redditor says here is true then apparently Sony is already aware and working on a patch to address the issue. But weird that it happens with the digital installation as well.

image.png

Last edited:

MAX PAYMENT

Running in fidelity mode with 120 and VRR and it’s one of the best looking games this gen.
I strongly disagree. While I think it can look great at times, there are far too many instances where the game looks bad for me to be able to come even remotely close to calling it one of the best looking games of the gen.

lv-0-20231020121805.gif

The smoke/sand is really something else lol.

Last edited:

MAX PAYMENT

It's extremely uneven. I don't know when was the last time I was this disappointed with game's graphics. Playing in 40Hz locked mode.
It could very well be the most uneven game, graphically, I've ever played. Sometimes the game will just dial back all shadows into just soft circles like some old gta game. And then the lighting and shadows scale back that far it makes the faces look so bad.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
It could very well be the most uneven game, graphically, I've ever played. Sometimes the game will just dial back all shadows into just soft circles like some old gta game. And then the lighting and shadows scale back that far it makes the faces look so bad.

But even when you ignore the graphics, it's the same old, tired game design. I'm only a couple of missions in but so far I had 2 on rails sections with QTE that can't be failed (what's the point), I've set up some stupid radio towers, rode a bicycle and now I'm shooting bees using a drone. Who design that? Does it get better?

Shakka43

Only bug I have encountered so far is the cape from one of Peter's suits sticking in place during a cutscene. Other than that the game has looked and played fine, sadly after a few hours it still hasn't clicked with me yet.

Also this might be Sony's wokest game yet, it's nothing like truly outlandish(yet) but a lot of little things that constantly show how "progressive" Insomniac is trying come up as.

Last edited:

MAX PAYMENT

But even when you ignore the graphics, it's the same old, tired game design. I'm only a couple of missions in but so far I had 2 on rails sections with QTE that can't be failed (what's the point), I've set up some stupid radio towers, rode a bicycle and now I'm shooting bees using a drone. Who design that? Does it get better?
The game is fun, to me, for sure. I like the added traversal optiona for the most part. It makes the swinging feel less on rails. However there are times the game will decide for you when traversing. But yeah, it's more of the same from the previous games. If the previous games didn't do it for you, this one won't.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
The game is fun, to me, for sure. I like the added traversal optiona for the most part. It makes the swinging feel less on rails. However there are times the game will decide for you when traversing. But yeah, it's more of the same from the previous games. If the previous games didn't do it for you, this one won't.

I like the new swinging options a lot, great addition. Wing suit not so much but I don't have to use it. Traversal is easily the best thing about this game. Mission design is still dog shit, same goes for side-activities.

I 100% the first Spider-Man on PS4 5 years ago it felt fresh back then. This however feels like more of the same and not a next-gen only sequel. More like beefy DLC, think what Phantom Liberty is to Cyberpunk 2077. New area added to the old map, new skills and traversal options, new story etc.

I'm doing mission in a lab and it's such a bore, you walk from one potato looking character to another potato looking character and they talk 'technical' nonsense. Give me more action in my action game. If I want to talk to uninteresting characters for what feels like half an hour, I'll go and play Starfield.

F89XSzKWIAAH35i

F89Z_NIXAAA8IgV

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
I like the new swinging options a lot, great addition. Wing suit not so much but I don't have to use it. Traversal is easily the best thing about this game. Mission design is still dog shit, same goes for side-activities.

I 100% the first Spider-Man on PS4 5 years ago it felt fresh back then. This however feels like more of the same and not a next-gen only sequel. More like beefy DLC, think what Phantom Liberty is to Cyberpunk 2077. New area added to the old map, new skills and traversal options, new story etc.

I'm doing mission in a lab and it's such a bore, you walk from one potato looking character to another potato looking character and they talk 'technical' nonsense. Give me more action in my action game. If I want to talk to uninteresting characters for what feels like half an hour, I'll go and play Starfield.

F89XSzKWIAAH35i

F89Z_NIXAAA8IgV

Just went through that mess rolling my eyes all along the way. Hopefully no more "save the world" lab tours.

Lucille Ball Reaction GIF

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
But even when you ignore the graphics, it's the same old, tired game design.
It's very much the same design as the last two. Playing it feels like a direct extension much in the same way Miles Morales did. It refines what was there before, especially in terms of mission design and content, but you don't need to re-learn anything.

But I don't know if that's a bad thing. Spider-Man was still the high water mark for superhero games, and "same but a bit better" is hard for me to complain about.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member
They listened to people who wanted more slow sections and stealth sections compared to the first game.

No need to say that these people should be castrated on the spot :lollipop_squinting:

Last edited:
Yes I didn’t say there were no better looking games, I just said almost no better looking games. Horizon does look amazing as well I agree. There’s not much more examples though of games of this graphical pedigree.

I don’t feel attacked at all, and you are entitled to your own opinion. I’m just stating game does look bonkers even though you personally might not see that for some reason.

As someone with the same TV Horizon easily wins on visuals. Spiderman 2 still looks nice especially with certain textures there are lots of little inconsistencies when it comes to certain aspects of the graphics. Doesn't ruin the game at all but it's not really that groundbreaking.
Horizon does look better in some aspects I agree. It doesn’t do the busy streets and fast travel like this though. Both games have their strengths.

I also have a CX by the way, epic TV.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
New area added to the old map, new skills and traversal options, new story etc.
… new combat and swinging mechanics, ray traced reflections on water and other surfaces, lots more environment detail and much much busier and varied streets, new enemies and missions, etc… essentially another game… but take your shot at putting the game down ;).

Last edited:

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
… new combat and swinging mechanics, ray traced reflections on water and other surfaces, lots more environment detail and much much busier and varied streets, new enemies and missions, etc… essentially another game… but take you shot ;).

Yeah, so exactly what something like Phantom Liberty is to Cyberpunk 2077.

essentially another game…

No it's not. I'm going between Miles Morales and Spider-Man 2, it's the same game.

When it comes to graphics, there are better looking games, but no other game looks this good while also doing so much on the screen. It truly feels like the first "next-gen" game I have played. I barely notice any pop-in or frame drops while zipping across a populated NYC at ungodly speeds. And I'm glad Insomniac didn't sacrifice gameplay or the density of the city for graphics. That would of been the wrong decision

Top Bottom