• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mask Efficacy |OT| Wuhan!! Got You All In Check

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joe T.

Yet again lock downs will save the day!

art-file-color-red_a4f46b3e-4d73-418c-a913-d56951e265ed_300x.jpg

I think Christmas will be cancelled this year for two reasons:

1. Eid and Diwali were disrupted by Corona virus. To open everything up for Xmas will give the wrong message of solidarity.
2. Cancelling xmas is the biggest scare to push people towards a vaccine. "you want a normal xmas next year, right?"

Nothing is wrong ! Fake news !

Told you guys 🤣 This is what happens if you do nothing , it festers and boom sky high . You lost track of the virus , to many asymptomatic cases ..

that’s why Asia comes into action with only 10 cases.

Which country will you guys champion now? Instead of accepting the nature of this virus and sadly the actions that are needed..

just accept the virus, give the risk group better masks and tell them that they may die if they catch it. most are retired anyway, its easy for them to isolate themself (if they want to)
https://www.cnbc.com/2020/11/15/coronavirus-emerged-in-italy-earlier-than-thought-study-shows.html nobody gave a fuck about it in Italy for 5 months, cause we had no worthless tests and had no fancy new name

I have a feeling my kids school is about to go full remote in NYS. Currently in a yellow zone, but cases keep rising so figuring we go to orange this week or next.

longdi

Banned
Can we change the topic title from Wuhan to Siena Italy? :messenger_winking: :messenger_ok:

ROME (Reuters) - The new coronavirus was circulating in Italy in September 2019, a study by the National Cancer Institute (INT) of the Italian city of Milan shows, signaling that it might have spread beyond China earlier than thought.

The World Health Organization has said the new coronavirus and COVID-19, the respiratory disease it causes, were unknown before the outbreak was reported in Wuhan, central China, late last year. But it has said “the possibility that the virus may have silently circulated elsewhere cannot be ruled out.”

The WHO said on Monday it was reviewing the results from Italy and additional information published there at the weekend and was seeking clarification.

Italy’s first COVID-19 patient was detected on Feb. 21 in a small town near Milan, in the northern region of Lombardy.

The Italian researchers’ findings, published by the INT’s scientific magazine Tumori Journal, show 11.6% of 959 healthy volunteers enrolled in a lung cancer screening trial between September 2019 and March 2020 had developed coronavirus antibodies well before February.

A further SARS-CoV-2 antibodies test was carried out by the University of Siena for the same research titled “Unexpected detection of SARS-CoV-2 antibodies in the pre-pandemic period in Italy”.

It showed that four cases dating back to the first week of October were positive for antibodies, meaning they had got infected in September, Giovanni Apolone, a co-author of the study, told Reuters.

https://www.reuters.com/article/heal...-idUSKBN27W1J2

longdi

Banned
Just desperate to get the blame on anyone else, huh?

Italy virus. Dirty italians eating habits :messenger_fistbump::messenger_unamused:

1. Maggot Cheese (Casu Marzu, Sardinia)

Basically, the decomposition these maggots cause to Sardinian sheep milk aged pecorino cheese creates a soft and pungent aged cheese. There was a period where the E.U. Food and Safety Commission banned the production of this infested cheese (and rightly so). Then, there – of course – developed a black market for the stuff, which cost double the price of the non-rotted, non-maggot-filled version of pecorino. Now the ban has been lifted, but the cheese is still held in cultural regard. Would you pay more for maggots in your cheese?

2. Cow Guts (Lampredotto, Tuscany)

In Florence, you will find (cleaned) guts stewing in broth and slung into bread rolls, or on a plate with spicy or herbed sauces (you’re going to need some flavor enhancer!), along with a cheap glass of Chianti on the side of the road or in a piazza. It’s actually quite good. You can even request it on our Food Tour in Florence!

3. Stuffed Mice with Mince (Dormice, Rome)

Yes, they are still eaten. Today, these mice are a protected species, but in ancient Roman times, they were stuffed with mince meat, nuts, herbs and spices. Yum! It is reported that this ancient delicacy is still consumed (in the tens of thousands!) in a small village located in the Southern Italian region of Calabria.

4. Tuscan Chicken Liver Crostini (Tuscany)

Okay, so this is like a pate, but some recipes use anchovies and chicken hearts in addition to chicken liver. It is not as fancy and smooth, like French pate; there are definitely bits and chunks of liver in this stuff. But the locals love it. As Hannibal Lecter suggests, it goes great with a glass of Chianti.

5. Pani ca Meusa (Sicilian Spleen Sandwiches)

This is the epitome of (weird) Mediterranean street food – not a normal sliced meat panini or burger – this is the cow spleen served with either caciocavallo (stretched curd cheese) or ricotta, with lemon juice wedged between Sicilian bread.

6. Pork Blood Cake (Tuscany)

Sweet bloody pie? Well, if you can make it look like chocolate and taste like a cake, then what’s the harm? “Never waste a drop of anything” is the philosophy in the Tuscan kitchen.

7. Songbirds, Brescia (Lombardy)

These little birdies are not just the ones that sing to you in the morning – but the ones that also get stuffed with random meat bits (including pork, beef, rabbit, and even other bits of little birds!). Then, they are slow broiled on skewers! It is traditionally served with polenta.

prag16

Banned

The death chart, the actual important one (that's assuming the deaths are by and large accurately reported and attributed, which is in question) showed a climb after the long flatline that already seems to be abating, with the 7 day moving average dropping for the past 7-10 days.

What would you have had them to, smart guy? Impose a harsh lockdown throughout August, September, an October while the numbers were flatlined? This "Sweden failed!" narrative fueled by confirmation bias and wishful thinking always was absurd, and still is absurd. Despite this recent blip, pretty much all of the rest of Europe is in worse shape right now.

swedenrskm5.png

And then you have Portugal (similar population albeit somewhat denser):

portugal8ljcj.png

Where would you rather be right now? Portugal had strict lockdowns for several weeks early on, and have had partial / rolling lockdowns at other points since. Sweden admitted to screwing up early on and not protecting the elderly/vulnerable specifically in the spring, but which shoes look more appealing to be in right now? And the story is similar throughout Europe.

Italy virus. Dirty italians eating habits :messenger_fistbump::messenger_unamused:

1. Maggot Cheese (Casu Marzu, Sardinia)

Basically, the decomposition these maggots cause to Sardinian sheep milk aged pecorino cheese creates a soft and pungent aged cheese. There was a period where the E.U. Food and Safety Commission banned the production of this infested cheese (and rightly so). Then, there – of course – developed a black market for the stuff, which cost double the price of the non-rotted, non-maggot-filled version of pecorino. Now the ban has been lifted, but the cheese is still held in cultural regard. Would you pay more for maggots in your cheese?

2. Cow Guts (Lampredotto, Tuscany)

In Florence, you will find (cleaned) guts stewing in broth and slung into bread rolls, or on a plate with spicy or herbed sauces (you’re going to need some flavor enhancer!), along with a cheap glass of Chianti on the side of the road or in a piazza. It’s actually quite good. You can even request it on our Food Tour in Florence!

3. Stuffed Mice with Mince (Dormice, Rome)

Yes, they are still eaten. Today, these mice are a protected species, but in ancient Roman times, they were stuffed with mince meat, nuts, herbs and spices. Yum! It is reported that this ancient delicacy is still consumed (in the tens of thousands!) in a small village located in the Southern Italian region of Calabria.

4. Tuscan Chicken Liver Crostini (Tuscany)

Okay, so this is like a pate, but some recipes use anchovies and chicken hearts in addition to chicken liver. It is not as fancy and smooth, like French pate; there are definitely bits and chunks of liver in this stuff. But the locals love it. As Hannibal Lecter suggests, it goes great with a glass of Chianti.

5. Pani ca Meusa (Sicilian Spleen Sandwiches)

This is the epitome of (weird) Mediterranean street food – not a normal sliced meat panini or burger – this is the cow spleen served with either caciocavallo (stretched curd cheese) or ricotta, with lemon juice wedged between Sicilian bread.

6. Pork Blood Cake (Tuscany)

Sweet bloody pie? Well, if you can make it look like chocolate and taste like a cake, then what’s the harm? “Never waste a drop of anything” is the philosophy in the Tuscan kitchen.

7. Songbirds, Brescia (Lombardy)

These little birdies are not just the ones that sing to you in the morning – but the ones that also get stuffed with random meat bits (including pork, beef, rabbit, and even other bits of little birds!). Then, they are slow broiled on skewers! It is traditionally served with polenta.
I don't see bats on that list. This virus came from bats. You know who has a documented history of eating bats?

diffusionx

Gold Member
Nothing is wrong ! Fake news !

Told you guys 🤣 This is what happens if you do nothing , it festers and boom sky high . You lost track of the virus , to many asymptomatic cases ..

that’s why Asia comes into action with only 10 cases.

Which country will you guys champion now? Instead of accepting the nature of this virus and sadly the actions that are needed..

Asia doesnt test, troll.

Anyway, the key thing is that case counts don’t really mean anything, most likely we are getting exactly the same number of people sick as we did in March, we just didn’t have the bogus tests to sus that out. You can’t separate out case counts from tests, and very few people were tested in the beginning.

Last edited:

diffusionx

Gold Member
I think Christmas will be cancelled this year for two reasons:

1. Eid and Diwali were disrupted by Corona virus. To open everything up for Xmas will give the wrong message of solidarity.
2. Cancelling xmas is the biggest scare to push people towards a vaccine. "you want a normal xmas next year, right?"

Christmas doesn’t get “canceled” because some government bureaucrat says it. People will be celebrating Christmas no matter what, including those government bureaucrats. Sure dipshits like Newsom and Cuomo may tell people not to meet their families but we’re not living in pods post-Great Reset yet.

This might also be something with the calendar, it would not surprise me if some people cancel their Thanksgiving plans in the US (I actually am probably not going to see my family for it), but definitely not both.

prag16

Banned
I actually am probably not going to see my family for it
Come on man! Put your money where you're mouth is! You're the loudest "this is bullshit" voice in the thread, throughout! (Unless it's your family trying to make you stay away, in which case, okay I guess.)

We are hosting a modest 13 person gathering for Thanksgiving. Though even that is above the current private gathering limit in CT (10). Fuck 'em all.

Last edited:

eot

Banned
The death chart, the actual important one (that's assuming the deaths are by and large accurately reported and attributed, which is in question) showed a climb after the long flatline that already seems to be abating, with the 7 day moving average dropping for the past 7-10 days.
Sweden has a bit more reporting delay than other countries, so the deaths are still likely rising, see this:

However I agree that it's not as bad as in most other European countries honestly, though the other Scandinavian states seem to be doing a bit better.

diffusionx

Gold Member
Come on man! Put your money where you're mouth is! You're the loudest "this is bullshit" voice in the thread, throughout! (Unless it's your family trying to make you stay away, in which case, okay I guess.)

We are hosting a modest 13 person gathering for Thanksgiving. Though even that is above the current private gathering limit in CT (10). Fuck 'em all.

The NWO/Great Reset scum want to turn our family gatherings into a fraught mess of paranoia and fear, as part of their stated mission of destroying families. Sadly, mission accomplished for many. Even if I think it is bullshit, perhaps other extended family do not, and I have to be respectful of them.

Last edited:

prag16

Banned
Sweden has a bit more reporting delay than other countries, so the deaths are still likely rising, see this:

However I agree that it's not as bad as in most other European countries honestly, though the other Scandinavian states seem to be doing a bit better.
It was my understanding that all countries had reporting delay, and that deaths don't get backdated upon report as the graph you linked showed. I've never seen worldometers do this for any country. I don't think those numbers for the past 10 days (where the decline is seen) will be retroactively updated. Whatever gets reported late will show up in the numbers in the coming days as always. I guess I could be wrong, but I've been following this for months and hadn't seen any backdating done in the reporting contrary to what your link seems to imply.

Thaedolus

The NWO/Great Reset scum want to turn our family gatherings into a fraught mess of paranoia and fear, as part of their stated mission of destroying families. Sadly, mission accomplished for many. Even if I think it is bullshit, perhaps other extended family do not, and I have to be respectful of them.

I’d like to not destroy my family by giving my parents a deadly virus. Thankfully I’m not contagious anymore, but long-term effects still suck. I’m working from bed today because I’m so tired, basically every other day I feel fine then wiped out.

But yes I’m sure there’s an organization who’s dedicated to destroying families, because obviously nobody likes families or get togethers?

Leyasu

Banned

Schools are staying open because closing them would be catastrophic for the economy. Parents that have to stay at home can’t work, thus large swathes of the economy would have to be shut down.

The European strategy now is to protect the old and people vulnerable, and try to limit the spread in offices and public transport with white collar worker lockdown/home working. Sacrifice the hospitality industry, pretending kids don’t contaminate to telling people with kids in school to not eat together at home and for everyone to wear a mask at home also. And crossing their fingers that a vaccine will be produced with enough doses to bring about collective immunity.

Europe is lost

eot

Banned
It was my understanding that all countries had reporting delay, and that deaths don't get backdated upon report as the graph you linked showed. I've never seen worldometers do this for any country. I don't think those numbers for the past 10 days (where the decline is seen) will be retroactively updated. Whatever gets reported late will show up in the numbers in the coming days as always. I guess I could be wrong, but I've been following this for months and hadn't seen any backdating done in the reporting contrary to what your link seems to imply.
The deaths on the Swedish worldometers page were backdated before, I mean you can plainly see that my link with the explicit reporting delay matches the death graph on worldometers for the peak in the spring. I think the difference is that that the figures released by the Swedish authorities include the specific reporting delay, whereas other countries have a reporting delay but don't track it the same way. There was even a gif showing this but I can't find it now, because the Swedish curve always looked like it was declining, even as it kept growing.

Anyway we'll know soon enough.

Schools are staying open because closing them would be catastrophic for the economy. Parents that have to stay at home can’t work, thus large swathes of the economy would have to be shut down.

The European strategy now is to protect the old and people vulnerable, and try to limit the spread in offices and public transport with white collar worker lockdown/home working. Sacrifice the hospitality industry, pretending kids don’t contaminate to telling people with kids in school to not eat together at home and for everyone to wear a mask at home also. And crossing their fingers that a vaccine will be produced with enough doses to bring about collective immunity.

Europe is lost

Looks like the scientists aren’t doing what you want them to do. Turns out “living with the virus” was the right answer all along, huh? They’re trying to find a balance because contrary to your myopic opinion, there are other things in the world that need to be considered besides covid.

Last edited:

Leyasu

Banned
Looks like the scientists aren’t doing what you want them to do. Turns out “living with the virus” was the right answer all along, huh? They’re trying to find a balance because contrary to your myopic opinion, there are other things in the world that need to be considered besides covid.
Myopic opinion. What I see are countries in Asia that have already tamed COVID and are back to living normally with fully functioning economies and low death rates because they pursued aggressive suppression strategies. That haven’t chosen to live with the virus.

Compared to Europe that has chased this thing since the beginning and made poor decisions all the way. But go ahead and think that this was the right thing to do. Everyone is entitled to their opinion.

But do spare a little thought for the mountain of cadavers that their mismanagement has produced. I ram sure that their families didn’t think that “living with the virus” turned out the right thing to do eh..

Last edited:

diffusionx

Gold Member
Myopic opinion. What I see are countries in Asia that have already tamed COVID and are back to living normally with fully functioning economies and low death rates because they pursued aggressive suppression strategies. That haven’t chosen to live with the virus.

Compared to Europe that has chased this thing since the beginning and made poor decisions all the way. But go ahead and think that this was the right thing to do.

But do spare a little thought for the mountain of cadavers that their mismanagement has produced. I ram sure that their families didn’t think that “living with the virus” turned out the right thing to do eh..

Nah, they have, they're just not testing.

diffusionx

Gold Member
Who ain’t testing?

Asia. Look at the numbers dude.

E.g., South Korea: http://ncov.mohw.go.kr/en

2.8 million tests total, in a country of 51 million people. Compare to US - adjusted by population size that's the equivalent of about 18 million tests.

The USA is currently doing about 1.5 million tests *a day*, so South Korea from the start has tested less people than the US does every 2 weeks.

Leyasu

Banned
Asia. Look at the numbers dude.

E.g., South Korea: http://ncov.mohw.go.kr/en

2.8 million tests total, in a country of 51 million people. Compare to US - adjusted by population size that's the equivalent of about 18 million tests.

The USA is currently doing about 1.5 million tests *a day*, so South Korea from the start has tested less people than the US does every 2 weeks.
Lol dear oh dear

You don’t have to test en mass when you have things under control and you know who has it, and from where they got it. Fucking lol

I suppose we can also say that the reason why Taiwan has not had any cases for over 200 days is because they don’t test. What an amazing strategy! Why didn’t the western governments think of that?

WoJ

Our governor just instituted a 10pm to 5am curfew for 3 weeks to try and slow down the spread. This was after putting new guidelines about how there is no dancing allowed at weddings and people are only allowed to sit at their tables.

Good thing COVID only comes out at night and only impacts weddings. It's almost like it's a virus that's just going to do its thing. The idea we can control this is insane.

diffusionx

Gold Member
Lol dear oh dear

You don’t have to test en mass when you have things under control and you know who has it, and from where they got it. Fucking lol

I suppose we can also say that the reason why Taiwan has not had any cases for over 200 days is because they don’t test. What an amazing strategy! Why didn’t the western governments think of that?

FFS.

The whole basis of this whole tyrant regime including mask mandates and mass testing is because this virus is asymptomatic in 50%-70% of cases.

How the fuck can they know they have it "under control" if they don't test? For all we know this thing is spreading in South Korea just as it is here (in fact that is very likely), people just stay home when sick or don't show any symptoms. Similar to what happened here in January and February.

Last edited:

Joe T.

But yes I’m sure there’s an organization who’s dedicated to destroying families, because obviously nobody likes families or get togethers?

There is because they argue the nuclear family performs ideological functions for capitalism. "Nobody"/everyone isn't the subject. Some people hold those beliefs and they're in positions of great power/influence. Curious to see you get dodgy over that. Do you have any stake in defending Marxist ideas? A reminder for anyone that may need it:

"Black Lives Matter" the organization became a loud, very high profile voice this year. Even if you want to dismiss the people at the top of that organization or the organization in its entirety it's impossible to avoid globalists like Klaus Schwab as well as those supporting his ideas - "nobodies" like Joe Biden, Justin Trudeau, Jacinda Ardern, Boris Johnson, etc. Schwab of the WEF and the globalists pushing his ideas onto us want to reset capitalism. You can see the crossover there, right?

There was nothing organic about Greta Thunberg's climate change protests last year, they were funded and organized then amplified by world leaders and corporate media.

There was nothing organic about the "Black Lives Matter" protests, the Ahmaud Arbery shooting and other race-related issues were amplified for weeks by corporate media before the George Floyd case blew up and reached out across the world.

There was nothing organic about this pandemic, not only do we still not know where or when it began but it was entirely avoidable had there not been such a heavy-handed propaganda campaign pushing fabricated stories (the Chinese collapsing everywhere) and inaccurate data that was used to create ridiculous projections. That propaganda had a snowball effect that scared the world senseless and did far more harm than good.

We've been led like sheep to the slaughter by the World Health Organization, UN, World Bank and big pharma industry and it's quite clear our world leaders are all under their thumb, the clues right before our eyes if it's not spelled out in the clearest of words:

Em_T8dCVkAI7bgC

That's "The Great Reset" Trudeau is talking about, you know that "conspiracy theory" about the evil globalists that want to strip you of any privacy you still have left and make it so you no longer own anything? Yeah, taken straight from their web page:

EmmKPBOVcAAPTcG

This has all been a power play using their financial resources and control of corporate and state-owned media to make it happen. After it became clear the amount of sway they had with propaganda using the Russian collusion story I knew we were in trouble, that you could convince the masses of almost anything. And here we are, treating a virus with an IFR similar to the flu - which practically replaced the flu - as some once in a century plague necessary of unprecedented measures.

Yeah, no. I'll call a spade a spade: if you support the extreme measures falsely sold to us as mitigation efforts in the interest of public health (re: masks, distancing, curfews, business closures) you are a communist.

Edit: Spelling

Last edited:

WoJ

Apparently the new order in Ohio also states that home businesses also have to allow public health officials and law enforcement to inspect public areas anytime they wish. So I guess we're basically Nazi Germany now.....and in violation of the 4th amendment of the constitution unless we believe that COVID is reasonable.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Apparently the new order in Ohio also states that home businesses also have to allow public health officials and law enforcement to inspect public areas anytime they wish. So I guess we're basically Nazi Germany now.....and in violation of the 4th amendment of the constitution unless we believe that COVID is reasonable.
Hide your porn.

Leyasu

Banned
FFS.

The whole basis of this whole tyrant regime including mask mandates and mass testing is because this virus is asymptomatic in 50%-70% of cases.

How the fuck can they know they have it "under control" if they don't test? For all we know this thing is spreading in South Korea just as it is here (in fact that is very likely), people just stay home when sick or don't show any symptoms. Similar to what happened here in January and February.
Because you jump on it in the beginning and don’t let it become a runaway train.

They had their chance in the west, especially in Europe. Lockdowns and stuff. The strategy was wrong and billions were spent, and it was all for nothing.

Please, don’t cofuse 10s of daily cases in South Korea to 10s of thousands of daily cases in any western country and say that it is spreading out of control.

Saruhashi

Banned
I can't be the only one who thinks the way they seem to be calculating "vaccine effectiveness" is patently absurd?

Pfizer: 94 out of 43,.000 people in the study contracted COVID and 85 of those were in the placebo group, therefore vaccine is 90% effective?
Moderna: 95 out of 30,000 people in the study contracted COVID and 90 of those were in the placebo group, therefore vaccine is 95% effective?

What?

This can't be how effectiveness is determined. They have no idea how many people in each group were "exposed". And of those who were "exposed" they have no idea how many of the vaccine recipients did NOT contract COVID who otherwise would have if they hadn't had the vaccine. How do you use an effective sample size of 85 or 90 people to make such a determination (and in turn justify injecting billions of people with this shit).

And I also can't be the only one getting the heeby jeebies from the idea of artifically repurposing our cellular machinery to manufacture virus proteins for our immune system to attack. Especially when these are lightning speed rushed propositions, and nothing of their kind has ever been approved for use in humans to date.

Don't worry. You'll be called an anti-vaxxer and pressured relentlessly to be vaccinated.

The truth is that the majority of people won't have a damn clue what the vaccine actually is or what it does. So it will only be people who bother to look it up getting a bit worried.

I wonder how much of the data and information surrounding the vaccine will be protected by non disclosure agreements etc.

I'd expect people to be seriously under informed and so they'll just take the vaccine because whatever.

A major red flag for me would be if things become mandatory or if people are basically forced to take it if they want to work etc.

For now I am in "wait and see" mode.

JORMBO

Darkness no more
Lockdowns in Philly again

Will probably spread over to my area soon after

Saruhashi

Banned
Because you jump on it in the beginning and don’t let it become a runaway train.

They had their chance in the west, especially in Europe. Lockdowns and stuff. The strategy was wrong and billions were spent, and it was all for nothing.

Please, don’t cofuse 10s of daily cases in South Korea to 10s of thousands of daily cases in any western country and say that it is spreading out of control.

How can you know if a large % of cases are asymptomatic though?

Its a contradiction.

diffusionx

Gold Member

Using the word "beginning" here is highly misleading, as we have seen from the past few months. Hell it was only maybe 6-8 weeks ago where people claimed the US was the big screw up and Europe did everything right and solved the problem. Now they are lumped in with us, lol.

There is no way, absolutely no way, to know for sure that South Korea has 10s of cases without a massive amount of testing. That's just objective fact. And even with mass testing, you're missing tons of cases - see the WHO saying there have been ~750 million COVID cases whereas the "official" number was around 50M at that time.

Lockdowns in Philly again

Will probably spread over to my area soon after
I am completely stunned that Wolf hasn't already announced state wide restrictions. If he hadn't so thoroughly botched the first lockdown, I'd almost respect him for not cave already this time.

But I'm sure indoor dining and gyms will be ordered to close by next week. The lockdown drums are starting to beat again and I just don't think Wolf has the strength or desire to resist them.

JORMBO

Darkness no more
I am completely stunned that Wolf hasn't already announced state wide restrictions. If he hadn't so thoroughly botched the first lockdown, I'd almost respect him for not cave already this time.

But I'm sure indoor dining and gyms will be ordered to close by next week. The lockdown drums are starting to beat again and I just don't think Wolf has the strength or desire to resist them.

Yep, I'm expecting Wolf to announce something soon. Restaurants here just got done redoing their insides with plexiglass and spacing things out more since it is colder and they can't do outdoor dining now. Now they will get closed down again. I wonder how many more empty stores I will see after this lockdown as even more places go out of business.

diffusionx

Gold Member
Yep, I'm expecting Wolf to announce something soon. Restaurants here just got done redoing their insides with plexiglass and spacing things out more since it is colder and they can't do outdoor dining now. Now they will get closed down again. I wonder how many more empty stores I will see after this lockdown as even more places go out of business.

If this lockdown nonsense comes to NYC and they can't do indoor dining I expect 75% of restaurants to close, and that's not even a joke. it is going to be utter and total carnage. I would guess restaurants are going to do 0-10% of their normal revenue for 3-4 months.... for perspective, 80% of restaurants couldn't pay their bills over the summer when they had outdoor seating going full blast.

The crazy thing is that indoor dining gets the brunt of all this because of one case study from China, based on one shitty restaurant with a broken HVAC. One case study is going to lead to the closure and ruin of thousands of restaurants.

Last edited:

Leyasu

Banned
Using the word "beginning" here is highly misleading, as we have seen from the past few months. Hell it was only maybe 6-8 weeks ago where people claimed the US was the big screw up and Europe did everything right and solved the problem. Now they are lumped in with us, lol.

There is no way, absolutely no way, to know for sure that South Korea has 10s of cases without a massive amount of testing. That's just objective fact. And even with mass testing, you're missing tons of cases - see the WHO saying there have been ~750 million COVID cases whereas the "official" number was around 50M at that time.
How many tests are Korea doing per day? They have been on top of it from the get go.

Europe turned to shit in mid-September when they opened the schools. Even with the very light contaimination rates, the opening of schools meant that each classroom potentially linked 30+ households. I am not getting into the school debate. But, Israel had already demonstrated what happens when you do the above, with the same consequences. Again the problem with everyone saying Europe had under control is clear to see that only suppression is really getting under control.

Even minor community transmission mixed with the right conditions is enough to send you into the abyss.

WoJ

If this lockdown nonsense comes to NYC and they can't do indoor dining I expect 75% of restaurants to close, and that's not even a joke. it is going to be utter and total carnage. I would guess restaurants are going to do 0-10% of their normal revenue for 3-4 months.... for perspective, 80% of restaurants couldn't pay their bills over the summer when they had outdoor seating going full blast.

The crazy thing is that indoor dining gets the brunt of all this because of one case study from China, based on one shitty restaurant with a broken HVAC. One case study is going to lead to the closure and ruin of thousands of restaurants.

It's almost like it isn't about the "science".....

diffusionx

Gold Member
How many tests are Korea doing per day? They have been on top of it from the get go.

Europe turned to shit in mid-September when they opened the schools. Even with the very light contaimination rates, the opening of schools meant that each classroom potentially linked 30+ households. I am not getting into the school debate. But, Israel had already demonstrated what happens when you do the above, with the same consequences. Again the problem with everyone saying Europe had under control is clear to see that only suppression is really getting under control.

Even minor community transmission mixed with the right conditions is enough to send you into the abyss.

SK is doing around 200 tests a day per million, around the same amount as sub-Saharan Africa. By comparison, France is doing close to 4000.

You are saying that South Korea has it under control because they don't have many cases. But they also don't really test. But then you say, well they don't have to test because they don't have cases. Huh?

I don't doubt that South Korea did what they said they did early on, I just see no reason to believe they have a total and complete understanding of every single case that occurs in their country, just because it doesn't make any sense based on everything we know about this virus. I think it is very likely that they are getting COVID similar to other countries of the same latitude (especially since the borders to SK are not completely shut), but the people are handling it differently than we are.

Last edited:

Joe T.

No, they have not been on top of it from the get go. That is patently false. You are spreading the same propaganda the corporate media did at the start of this pandemic. An example of it here from Bloomberg:

That "mass testing" they praised as the tool South Korea used to contain/mitigate the spread was on the scale of the "pathetic" numbers being criticized in the western world like the US, Canada and elsewhere. South Korea, a country of 51.5M+, was conducting between 10-20,000 tests/day in the spring (12,000/day average according to NYT IIRC) and it was praised while similar numbers were deemed a disaster in US states with smaller populations like NY and California or up here in the province of Quebec (8.5M pop) where we were doing between 7-12K/day.

The propaganda wasn't as easy to spot back then because we were all over the place wondering what was going on, talking about toilet paper and the like, but in retrospect it's easy to see how disgustingly deceptive that testing narrative was. The tests are the heart of the problem, they are being misused and irresponsibly reported. Difficult to prove with any certainty if it's intentional, but you'd have to be nearly braindead not to realize it.

Last edited:

Leyasu

Banned
No, they have not been on top of it from the get go. That is patently false. You are spreading the same propaganda the corporate media did at the start of this pandemic. An example of it here from Bloomberg:

That "mass testing" they praised as the tool South Korea used to contain/mitigate the spread was on the scale of the "pathetic" numbers being criticized in the western world like the US, Canada and elsewhere. South Korea, a country of 51.5M+, was conducting between 10-20,000 tests/day in the spring (12,000/day average according to NYT IIRC) and it was praised while similar numbers were deemed a disaster in US states with smaller populations like NY and California or up here in the province of Quebec (8.5M pop) where we were doing between 7-12K/day.

The propaganda wasn't as easy to spot back then because we were all over the place wondering what was going on, talking about toilet paper and the like, but in retrospect it's easy to see how disgustingly deceptive that testing narrative was. The tests are the heart of the problem, they are being misused and irresponsibly reported. Difficult to prove with any certainty if it's intentional, but you'd have to be nearly braindead not to realize it.
Not many countries were anywhere near the level of today’s testing in the spring. 10-20k tests a day was massive back then compared to nearly every where else. Most other countries didn’t have the equipment or anything back then. France where I am is now is supposedly testing over a million per week. Plus, most of the west by March had let it get out control. Their much criticized testing was the result of running behind the wave.

Listen I am not from the US, and therefore have no political agenda. The US has tested massively, and Trumps China ban were both commendable. His Euro ban was also a good thing. At least he tried at the beginning. The UK and Europe looked the other way.

Again, when you have it under control, and the hospitals are not filling up , and you have solid testing and tracing, and any flare ups are localized, you don’t need to(but it would also be good to) test en mass.

Unlike the northern hemisphere which is in the shit now, where mass concentrated testing would be a great thing. Instead of waiting for the symptomatic people or their contacts.

Not many countries were anywhere near the level of today’s testing in the spring. 10-20k tests a day was massive back then compared to nearly every where else. Most other countries didn’t have the equipment or anything back then. France where I am is now is supposedly testing over a million per week. Plus, most of the west by March had let it get out control. Their much criticized testing was the result of running behind the wave.

Listen I am not from the US, and therefore have no political agenda. The US has tested massively, and Trumps China ban were both commendable. His Euro ban was also a good thing. At least he tried at the beginning. The UK and Europe looked the other way.

Again, when you have it under control, and the hospitals are not filling up , and you have solid testing and tracing, and any flare ups are localized, you don’t need to(but it would also be good to) test en mass.

Unlike the northern hemisphere which is in the shit now, where mass concentrated testing would be a great thing. Instead of waiting for the symptomatic people or their contacts.
Look, in a perfect world, you are right. But the world isn't perfect. And once this was embedded and widespread, the window for your strategy closed. The problem is that once its not local, but "global" in the sense that its in every community, even at low levels, then as soon as you open, the spread escalates. This cannot be avoided now.

Your strategy works when infections are locally concentrated. You can test and trace and stay at least at pace with the virus. But the US and Europe were always behind. By the time we realized what was even happening, it was basically too late. We are here now. It will get worse before it gets better. But this is what we have to do. The ship has to keep going. It cant stop and it can't turn around. There just isn't an easy way out now. Try and protect those at risk as best we can and keep our heads up until the vaccine+natural immunity drives the infection rate down.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom