• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mask Efficacy |OT| Wuhan!! Got You All In Check

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's not the flu. No. It's a lot less dangerous than the flu.

"CDC estimates that so far this season there have been at least 32 million flu illnesses, 310,000 hospitalizations and 18,000 deaths from flu."

th

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
It's not the flu. No. It's a lot less dangerous than the flu.

"CDC estimates that so far this season there have been at least 32 million flu illnesses, 310,000 hospitalizations and 18,000 deaths from flu."

That's still less than a 0.1% mortality rate. This thing looks to be at least an order of magnitude higher.

Yeah looks like they posted it and then updated it, but is old.

Was wondering if today would be as big a jump like yesterday.

these are the last SK numbers 16 hours ago

did not get a second batch. So we move into today's 8PM and 3am ET

edit: South Korea should report in the next 10-20 minutes

Last edited:

Karma Jawa

People are going to stop caring about international numbers pretty quickly once it hits their own town I bet.

I’ll probably get it. In fact I’ve probably already had it as I was very ill recently with a virus that didn’t feel normal. Not really worried about catching it, I’m more worried about spreading it to high-risk friends and relatives.

prag16

Banned
That's still less than a 0.1% mortality rate. This thing looks to be at least an order of magnitude higher.
Apples and oranges. That's strictly the US in the case of the seasonal flu, compared to a hodge podge of other countries many of which are less developed than the US in terms of sanitation standards, nutrition, living conditions, etc.

Wasn't that embassy in Iraq? I do imagine we should see stuff.. But Iran can lock things down too.

True true, main stream media kept saying the crowd was Iranians so yeah mixed up in my mind LOL.
but videos are not rare in Iran. They were just burning down a health clinic that had 20 virus patients on cellphone video a few days ago
we had cellphone video of them shooting down the Ukraine plane

we will get videos out of Iran if things really get ugly, I would say North Korea would be harder to get videos out from.

jts

...hate me...
Um, so this writer, apparently already felt sick before leaving Portugal, coming from Italy, and he stayed in Portugal for almost a week (18-23feb) for a... book festival. Where he was definitely in contact with a bunch of people. But still no confirmed cases in Portugal. Lmao.

I just hope this ineptitude in testing doesn't translate into failure to contain, Iran style.

Um, so this writer, apparently already felt sick before leaving Portugal, coming from Italy, and he stayed in Portugal for almost a week (18-23feb) for a... book festival. Where he was definitely in contact with a bunch of people. But still no confirmed cases in Portugal. Lmao.

I just hope this ineptitude in testing doesn't translate into failure to contain, Iran style.

give it 2 weeks

th

Good timing?

It is a given that we are not going to get rid of this virus like we did with SARS
Hiding in North Korea was a cheat code move but it will work wonderfully again the WHO

Last edited:

Sakura

Apples and oranges. That's strictly the US in the case of the seasonal flu, compared to a hodge podge of other countries many of which are less developed than the US in terms of sanitation standards, nutrition, living conditions, etc.
Like Italy and Korea right?

JordanN

Banned
You know we had vastly more cellphone videos from them trying to burn the US Embassy than from any of these reports
If these guys are losing it they will share the chaos just wait for it no salt needed
Doesn't Iran have tight control of the media? I think they blocked access to twitter before when they had a protest against the government.

And this is of course a theocracy. If they want to suppress information, they'll do it if it means saving face or keeping power.

Last edited:
Doesn't Iran have tight control of the media? I think they blocked access to twitter before when they had a protest against the government.

And this is of course a theocracy. If they want suppress information, they'll do it if it means saving face or keeping power.

Yes they do try to control it, they do but not as tight as North Korea imo. That shooting down of the Ukraine passenger plane during the missile attacks on US troops in Iraq to get back at Trump was on Twitter very quickly. Iran is leaky too many spies inside.

Good data thread for the just the flu bros.

I will say granted this is using Feb 11 data. Wish we had up to date worldwide demographics.

Also Kirkland Firefighters quarantined.

Last edited:

Schattenjäger

Gabriel Knight
Good data thread for the just the flu bros.

I will say granted this is using Feb 11 data. Wish we had up to date worldwide demographics.

Also Kirkland Firefighters quarantined.

that is very misleading
there are probably many mild cases that haven’t been reported yet.. will surely skew the numbers

As someone in the US, I find this information to be helpful. I can see why it would be annoying for those outside the US, though.

I am in the US. I am just wondering if BNO is going to breakup the US by States aka regions like they did China.
It is more helpful but also more daunting if things spike up. BNO started breaking things up by not saying US just name dropping States more and more today.

Last edited:
Last edited:

This is the 3rd case in Illinois, I was reading it as first case. That first case was over a month ago

betrayal

Banned
_111074816_death_ratio-nc.png

important graphic

Since the graphic does not show any connections between age and health:

Death rate for age...
10 - 39 = 0,2%
40 - 49 = 0,4%
50 - 59 = 1,3%
60 - 69 = 3,6%
70 - 79 = 8%
80+ = 14,8%

Now you still have to consider the health situation of the people. The graph does not establish a correlation between health status and age. Therefore it is important for healthy people to know that the death rate for up to 39 years is statistically even lower than 0.2%. Probably something between 0.05% and 0.15%. For comparison, the death rate of influenza for this age group (10-39) is not 0.1%, but with 0.019% once again significantly lower.

In addition there are probably many mild cases, which are not recorded OR estimated at all (like it is the case for influenza). This reduces the death rate once again to an estimated 0.01% - 0.05%. It should be noted that this only applies to healthy people up to 39 years of age.
Nevertheless, the certainly quite high number of undetected cases (since many infected people have no symptoms at all) also reduces the death rate for all age groups. The known deaths caused by COVID-19 represent the negative peak (DEAD), which is clearly visible. The other "positive" peak (symptom-free, undetected cases, NOT DEAD), is much larger. So right now it's like counting only all the severe cases, but not all mild cases, which leads to distortions of the statistics.

Last edited:
cowards

i'd rather die then let this happen on my watch

whatever you got that makes you feel that way they don't teach it over there in that local area

not sure what is the use of forcing a population to follow religious traditions when they are helpless and not motivated to care when faced with something like this. Just do the right thing.

Last edited:

prag16

Banned
Like Italy and Korea right?
I said many, not all. Also tons of mild cases have probably gone unreported, skewing the numbers further. Whereas with the seasonal flu all those mild cases are built into the CDC estimates I cited.

This is irrational hysteria, and it's unfortunate that this nonsense is one of the most active threads this forum has had in years.

Last edited:
Is the person posting this a credible source? For all we know that is two buddies fuckin around and uploading the vid.

if you can think of the deception then it is possible, human nature is human nature. But I don't think that culture is into the trolling and meme lulz culture as much as the west is. This would be a fast way to get your ass arrested in Iran I would think.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom