• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 3 Multiplayer |OT| Rich, deep online role playing

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Played multiplayer for the first time tonight... Surprisingly I enjoyed it. Currently downloading all the free stuff from Origin.

Probably shouldn't have waited a year after release before giving it a try... haha. Any general tips I should know about?

Stay close to the others, especially on Gold. Although i guess you won't touch Gold soon since it's hard and you need good weapons and some multiplayer experience.

Learn to take cover often.

Don't waste medigels when you go down, abuse the Space button until someone come revive you, if no one comes when there is only a few secs left, then you can use it.

Don't waste missiles unless you're really in danger or have like 2 Banshees or Geth Primes near each other. I've seen people waste them on a single Brute, and i'm like "whaaat?".

If you're new, you should stick to Veteran and Recruit packs for a while to quickly get some weapons to rank X. Sure, the weapons in the other packs are better, but so expensive for a new players doing Bronze games.

You could add me in Origin(Bisnic) if you want. I might need to do some Bronze games anyway to quickly get those Challenges asking for waves and extractions.

just tried out the talon merc. really like him. pairs well with the executionar pistol. absolute badass sound on that thing. left concussive arrows off and maxed out everything else.

what builds are people using on him?

Nori Chan

just tried out the talon merc. really like him. pairs well with the executionar pistol. absolute badass sound on that thing. left concussive arrows off and maxed out everything else.

what builds are people using on him?
Completely ignored AP arrows as it's kinda redundant seeing as how the mines do the most damage to armor. I left concussive ones on to stagger enemies with health. It's pretty good against phantoms when they're all up in your face slicing you up to death.

exYle

Completely ignored AP arrows as it's kinda redundant seeing as how the mines do the most damage to armor. I left concussive ones on to stagger enemies with health. It's pretty good against phantoms when they're all up in your face slicing you up to death.

AP arrows > Concussion arrows. You really don't want to be wasting Mines on lone targets. AP arrows can three-shot a Brute on Gold, and will pretty much kill any other non-boss enemies.

AP arrows > Concussion arrows. You really don't want to be wasting Mines on lone targets. AP arrows can three-shot a Brute on Gold, and will pretty much kill any other non-boss enemies.

what weapons are you using with the talon?

since its grenades only im using a scorpion x and harrier vi..with melee mods.

shame i have no cylonic modulators left..

exYle

what weapons are you using with the talon?

since its grenades only im using a scorpion x and harrier vi..with melee mods.

shame i have no cylonic modulators left..

I don't really use weapons on him. Whatever I have, I make sure it has a melee mod on it (shotgun omniblade right now) but once I get the Power Amp mod up to V, I will be using a pistol with that and the melee mod.

Cooldown is somewhat important on him because he can regenerate grenades. If you're going to nuke a spawn with the Cains, you're going to use between 4-10 of your grenades.

I don't really use weapons on him. Whatever I have, I make sure it has a melee mod on it (shotgun omniblade right now) but once I get the Power Amp mod up to V, I will be using a pistol with that and the melee mod.

Cooldown is somewhat important on him because he can regenerate grenades. If you're going to nuke a spawn with the Cains, you're going to use between 4-10 of your grenades.

I got the power amp to v. I thought that was for biotics only.

also, I thought grenade regen was a fixed time, i didn't know it was related to weapon weight.

Chocobro

In the description it says, "Generator designed to enhance the effectiveness of tech or biotic attacks." :p

Edit: Over the last few days (Thursday night to currently Saturday afternoon) I bought at least 15 packs (Arsenal/Reserve/PS) and only got one UR -_-

Q: Which pack is the best to spam to max out uncommon gear? Should I bother when I mostly use rare gear?

While playing the Batarian Soldier, I searched for a Silver game, the leader changed it to Gold while I was loading, and I readied up as soon as I got into the lobby since everyone was readied up. Found out it was a Gold game half-way in :lol Did surprisingly well, wish I had consumables on.

exYle

also, I thought grenade regen was a fixed time, i didn't know it was related to weapon weight.

Yeah, the power amp applies to both Tech and Biotic powers. The arrows gain bonuses from melee boosters, and the special power arrows gain bonuses from both melee and power boosters.

Yeah, the power amp applies to both Tech and Biotic powers. The arrows gain bonuses from melee boosters, and the special power arrows gain bonuses from both melee and power boosters.

Cheers - are you sure about the grenade regen thing being linked to cooldown? i.e. heavy weapons = more cooldown? i thought this character was like the demolisher in that way.

exYle

Cheers - are you sure about the grenade regen thing being linked to cooldown? i.e. heavy weapons = more cooldown? i thought this character was like the demolisher in that way.

Yeah, check his racial passive. The grenade cooldown can go as low as every 16 seconds.

Nori Chan

I roll with 2 weapons with the Merc so it doesn't bother me. I usually set up shop and an area that will have high traffic and watch all enemies drop. I love never worrying about Dragoons cause they get one shotted by mines on platinum.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
Just got a Venom

What's the verdict on this?

Got 3 URs this weekend - followed by what feels like at least a dozen ammo packs. Can't even be mad.

Well a little - considering I JUST FUCKING GOT A SCORPION IV

Mindlog

My Merc rolls with Lancer X AP Mod/Omni-Blade and Acolyte Power Amp/Melee Mod.

Best kit for Venom for me has been Jugg with Barrel/Omni-Blade.

I'm hopping on now, but I'm drunk as jesus under the cherry tree. Guarantee I still outscore average pubs -_-

Sai and Oblivionmancer don't count. They're well above average ;D
PC is pretty good too, but I was messing with my Adas so I didn't pay attention :p

Got one UR in my past dozen packs or so. Eagle IX. On a Turian Soldier it's like a crappy Hurricane with no recoil at all.

I'm hopping on now, but I'm drunk as jesus under the cherry tree. Guarantee I still outscore average pubs -_-

PC is pretty good too, but I was messing with my Adas so I didn't pay attention :p

Got one UR in my past dozen packs or so. Eagle IX. On a Turian Soldier it's like a crappy Hurricane with no recoil at all.

The finest compliment I have ever received :p

RdN

So, I decided to get back into this game.

I've played a lot last year, mostly with the Biotic Asari, abusing of biotic combos.

Is there a better character for this kind of gameplay?

Playing with Sai is not relaxing. I have to remind him that that i DONT want to do a 2 man solo of platinum. However, it does raise me to his level and we always end up extracting.

Every now and again i want a fun game though lol.

Havent played with you guys yet, will have to do so in the next few days.

im LOVING the Talon Merc now. He is squishy but its such a fun character. im also loving the Executioner pistol. It just might be the best sounding pistol in the game - so DAMN loud.

And yes now i can hear the ADAS across the entire map.

DY_nasty

I love the Venom shotgun now.

Its like a weird mashup of the Adas, Scorpion, and Acolyte. Hope I can get it upgraded fast.

Mindlog

Playing with Sai is not relaxing. I have to remind him that that i DONT want to do a 2 man solo of platinum. However, it does raise me to his level and we always end up extracting.
Two person Platinum is fun!

When it first came out I really liked Venom Shotgun on the Talon.
Now I think it's the perfect weapon for Juggernaut and Warlord. EB and Omni-Blade fit great together. Both characters are frequently in big crowds so the splash helps.

Valiant X.
Since the promotional weapons moved to the regular pool I have yet to receive a Hurricane upgrade. I tried the Valiant out in a match and noticed the Javelin X has really hindered my accuracy. I stopped bothering with head shots since body shots are also 1 hit kills. I know the BW and Javelin are better, but the Valiant is still fun. Will be using it more to get my accuracy back up.

DY_nasty

The Valiant never stopped being a top level sniper IMO

Your accuracy does need to be solid, but its speed and stability are what make it great.

RdN

So, I unlocked the N7 Fury, speced 6-6-6-4-4. I'm tearing through weaker enemies like Marauders and Cannibals, but am having a hard time killing bosses, specially Banshees. The Dark Channel + Throw combo seems to not cut it, and if I get close to use AF, I get one hit killed.

Any tips?

exYle

So, I unlocked the N7 Fury, speced 6-6-6-4-4. I'm tearing through weaker enemies like Marauders and Cannibals, but am having a hard time killing bosses, specially Banshees. The Dark Channel + Throw combo seems to not cut it, and if I get close to use AF, I get one hit killed.

Any tips?

She's primarily a mook killer, but:
1) DC is DPS monster. You can use it, follow it with throw and it will still continue to eat through Barriers and Armor, but you have to give it time to do it's work.
2) If you have Annihilation Field's radius perk (which, if you don't, re-spec and take it), you can hover in and out of the field's range while tossing throw at the boss for the detonation - the field should be large enough that you can approach a boss without getting into melee range.

Honestly, with Banshees, just put a Dark Channel on her and do other things.

RdN

She's primarily a mook killer, but:
1) DC is DPS monster. You can use it, follow it with throw and it will still continue to eat through Barriers and Armor, but you have to give it time to do it's work.
2) If you have Annihilation Field's radius perk (which, if you don't, re-spec and take it), you can hover in and out of the field's range while tossing throw at the boss for the detonation - the field should be large enough that you can approach a boss without getting into melee range.

Honestly, with Banshees, just put a Dark Channel on her and do other things.

I see. I think the main thing is that I'm used to the Warp + Throw on the Asari Adept which creates a more powerful BE.

I'll check to see if I got the radius perk.. maybe the problem lies there.

Thanks!

exYle

Going to start playing with the Talon merc, anyone got Tips? He's speced for Melee Damage now.

If you see a group of tightly-clustered enemies (such as a spawn), throw caution to the wind and start tossing mines at them until they're dead. I guarantee you will eventually get a killstreak using this technique

Fuck everything

MINES

If you see a group of tightly-clustered enemies (such as a spawn), throw caution to the wind and start tossing mines at them until they're dead. I guarantee you will eventually get a killstreak using this technique

So, yea, Mines are good. Just for a test, I put Grenade Capacity V on him.
With the regen, I think I got to 3 once (from 11).

Thanks guys.

Stantron

I like the Turian Saboteur, but it seems like his health and shields are very flimsy. Even if I max out his fitness, he goes down fast.

I was toying around with the AIU yesterday, on 360. Is it just me or do you have to tap LB for Snap Freeze like 3x before it goes off? I also couldn't get a read on it's range

Chocobro

I was toying around with the AIU yesterday, on 360. Is it just me or do you have to tap LB for Snap Freeze like 3x before it goes off? I also couldn't get a read on it's range

Probably just lag because normally I would just press LB once and Snap Freeze would work.

If you spec'd for range (I believe it would be 15m), you'll just need to aim in the direction of the enemies and if they become chilled/frozen, good; if not, you need to get closer. You'll get the feel of whether or not SF will reach after you play for a bit.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member

I have this issue with my Geth Pulse. Gotta smash on LB to fire them all off.

Never happened to me. You will get used to the range. If you specced for range it goes quite far.

Best character in the game imo. Spec her with the Claymore X, Shock Trooper Upgrade, SHotgun Rail Amp III and Armour piercing rounds (Use choke and damage as the gun mods)

Cloak > Snap Freeze > Shot. 4 of those takes down an atlas. 2 shots for brutes. 1 shot for any phantom/nemesis/dragoon.

Never happened to me. You will get used to the range. If you specced for range it goes quite far.

Best character in the game imo. Spec her with the Claymore X, Shock Trooper Upgrade, SHotgun Rail Amp III and Armour piercing rounds (Use choke and damage as the gun mods)

Cloak > Snap Freeze > Shot. 4 of those takes down an atlas. 2 shots for brutes. 1 shot for any phantom/nemesis/dragoon.

I run her with a Harrier, Warfighter Package V, Assault Rifle Amp and Incindiary Rounds.
Same results. I prefer the Harrier because I can lay down fire/Cryo Freezes across the field, so everything's primed for Fire/Cryo Explosions/Tech Bursts.

exYle

I run her with a Harrier, Warfighter Package V, Assault Rifle Amp and Incindiary Rounds.
Same results. I prefer the Harrier because I can lay down fire/Cryo Freezes across the field, so everything's primed for Fire/Cryo Explosions/Tech Bursts.

She has a weapon damage boost specifically for shotguns!

She has a weapon damage boost specifically for shotguns!

Yeah, without taking advantage of that bonus, she really falls behind the Ghost, especially if you're swapping in an Assault Rifle.

I've been playing some pug platinum, and falling back in love with the Geth Infiltrator in the process. Really like the Wraith on him, his boosted rate-of-fire gives it just that little something it needs to feel absolutely perfect.

exYle

Yeah, without taking advantage of that bonus, she really falls behind the Ghost, especially if you're swapping in an Assault Rifle.

I've been playing some pug platinum, and falling back in love with the Geth Infiltrator in the process. Really like the Wraith on him, his boosted rate-of-fire gives it just that little something it needs to feel absolutely perfect.

I tried the Wraith recently. I can't get the hang of it.

I tried the Wraith recently. I can't get the hang of it.

It functions similarly to the Claymore overall, but headshots are more important do to the lower damage. I stick incendiary on it to finish off the more frequent 'almost kills' compared to the claymore. I've always liked the gun, but the GI's bonus rate of fire really elevates it, because it is a bit slow on it's refire otherwise. I haven't tried him against collectors with it yet, that's definitely the faction where it's lower per shot damage compared to the Claymore really hurts it.

Edit: it also give you a really nice cooldown speed for cloak; it can get kind of harsh on the hvb claymore if you actually hold your cloak for the full 5 seconds. (HVB shouldn't matter, they never fixed that bug right?)

shes built for shotguns dude...

you might as well use the paladin then.

I know, I have him too, and used her before with a Crusader.
I just love that gun.

It's possibly the best gun in the game, so there's no argument there, it's just that there are kits better suited to exploiting it. Among infiltrators, both the Ghost and the GI are going to get you better results.

I feel like the AIU is made for either the Claymore or the Reegar, with Wraith/Crusader/Piranha being the next tier of options.

DY_nasty

It's possibly the best gun in the game, so there's no argument there, it's just that there are kits better suited to exploiting it. Among infiltrators, both the Ghost and the GI are going to get you better results.

I feel like the AIU is made for either the Claymore or the Reegar, with Wraith/Crusader/Piranha being the next tier of options.

Yes.

exYle

You guys really think that? I only have it at 4 i guess and dont use it.

Best guns for me are:

Harrier
Black Widow
Executioner Pistol (now - i just LOVE it)
Scorpion
Typhoon
Also LOVE the collector Sniper Rifle.

Haha, Boombloxer was talking about the Harrier, which prompted the reply from Oblivionmancer and then DY_nasty. Everyone agrees that the Harrier is the best gun in the game.

Top Bottom