• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 3 Multiplayer |OT| Rich, deep online role playing

If we make it to 19,000 posts it will finally be time to start an official GAF Build Guide :p

LOL! we all have such different builds tho. ive just realised i dont use any sentinels, vanguards or adepts any more.

im using soldiers, engineers and infiltrators mostly. They mostly come out at night, mostly.

Chocobro

Oh boy. I got my first disconnect at Wave 10, when I accidentally pressed B to cancel rejoining the host, I thought I lost my credits. Less than a minute later searching for another game, I got thrown into the same lobby, completed wave 10, got back all my medals, and credits :D!

And the Valkyrie (V) isn't too bad, I use it time to time on the TGI. My only complaint is that not all of the bullets in the burst hit when I go for headshots.

If we make it to 19,000 posts it will finally be time to start an official GAF Build Guide :p

I have a Google Doc Excel file for builds I use on (most) of my characters ready for when that happens :)

Played (virtually) my first Platinum game last night.
Finished a Gold game and then the host changed the difficulty to Platinum when I wasnt paying attention.
It was a good team and we actually got full extraction on 2 Plat games in a row. The second one was against the Collectors too.
Still, I think I'll stick to Gold games in the future. The Plat games I beat would have been disastrous without a good team. Gold games are still do-able, even with bad teams.

My Asari Huntress with her CSR will kick your ass up and down the scoreboard

I wish this had pvp :-(

My asari infiltrator would gladly darkchannel your score and double tap you with her pistol.

I played a bronze game today because I needed 5000 credits and didn't want to try...man it is so easy to kill like 75% of the giys yourself. I think the end scores were something like

me: 51,000
Krogan#1 23,000
Krogan #2 21,000
Level 1 new guy 13,000

Score is so meaningless, it does a poor job of showing teamwork. Sometimes a juggernaut might be 75k behind 3rd place. He also could have been doing his job, never dropped and had 15 revives. You wouldn't know it by score alone.

The dudes who brag about it are the worst. Guess what, Vorcha asshole? If I hadn't been overloading everything and setting off your fire explosions, your score would have been cut in half. Stop bragging about it.

Score is so meaningless, it does a poor job of showing teamwork. Sometimes a juggernaut might be 75k behind 3rd place. He also could have been doing his job, never dropped and had 15 revives. You wouldn't know it by score alone.

The dudes who brag about it are the worst. Guess what, Vorcha asshole? If I hadn't been overloading everything and setting off your fire explosions, your score would have been cut in half. Stop bragging about it.

Nah man my cluster grenades would have taken care of it. :p

I haven't played for a couple weeks, mostly because my internet has gone to crap, even after the provider sent a tech out. Kind of jonesing.

Xanathus

I hereby nominate the collectoe sniper rifle as the worst sniper rifle in the game. No wonder shep blew up their base.

You're using it extremely incorrectly. Try using it like a Mattock (rapidly tap the shots out instead of holding it down), it's one of the highest DPS weapons in the game that way. It's even crazier if you're using an auto-fire macro on PC.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
Lately I'm running a geth flamer build for gold with great success, often getting first or second by points and I even carried 3 noobs to extraction in condor.

So yesterday I join a lobby and two east coast dumb assess want to kick me from the lobby because I wasn't using ammo or weapon amps. I explain to them that a flamer build does not benefit that much from those and they persist. The last guy in the lobby backs me up saying he often runs a vorcha flamer. Anyways, the two dumvasses put the red x on me and the other guy and me put the red x on one of them.

And we sit in the lobby like that for 10 minutes. Until the two morons leave.

Fun times. I have an iPad so I just browsed GAF in the meantime but geez.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
You're using it extremely incorrectly. Try using it like a Mattock (rapidly tap the shots out instead of holding it down), it's one of the highest DPS weapons in the game that way. It's even crazier if you're using an auto-fire macro on PC.

I have been using it wrong. Thanks for the tip! (Still isnt my thing)

I hereby nominate the collectoe sniper rifle as the worst sniper rifle in the game. No wonder shep blew up their base.
dude..you arent using it right. its such an amazing weapon. I thought that until someone showed me how to use it. you need to burst fire it then use powers as it regens.

besides the black widow and javelin its my fave sniper rifle. its great for the geth engineer as u can actually use it up close and from distance. pair it with Incindiary rounds then overload on cooldown for fire explosions.

Lately I'm running a geth flamer build for gold with great success, often getting first or second by points and I even carried 3 noobs to extraction in condor.

So yesterday I join a lobby and two east coast dumb assess want to kick me from the lobby because I wasn't using ammo or weapon amps. I explain to them that a flamer build does not benefit that much from those and they persist. The last guy in the lobby backs me up saying he often runs a vorcha flamer. Anyways, the two dumvasses put the red x on me and the other guy and me put the red x on one of them.

And we sit in the lobby like that for 10 minutes. Until the two morons leave.

Fun times. I have an iPad so I just browsed GAF in the meantime but geez.

Yeah, people are stupid.

Some idiot: "Hey dude, kick this guy, his N7 is only 120."

Me: "N7 means nothing, only that I haven't promoted. And I have lvl10 weapons to your lvl2; and lvl4 ammo with lvl5 gear."

Idiot: "Whatever. I'm not babysitting your ass, you go down it's on you."

I'm an AIU.
Me: "... yeah... likewise."

So I end up soloing most of the later rounds, never having to use my medigel, and I'm the only one to extract. 130k to his 25k.

Idiot: "You only did well because of that cheap character. Play a soldier, then talk."

Me: "Hahaha, ok. Have fun dying." *leaves*

Chocobro

I'm kinda glad I haven't come across those kinds of those guys :\ The people I usually encounter are pretty nice. Some dudes say how they like my GT ChocobroBread and start talking about Final Fantasy lol.

So what's everyone's progress with the URs? In the last two weeks, I only got the BPP Still missing the Geth Spitfire, Lancer, Awakened Collector, PPR, and Venom Shotgun :( So much school work stopping me from playing!

exYle

I wish this had pvp :-(

My asari infiltrator would gladly darkchannel your score and double tap you with her pistol.

Hahaha BRING IT ON
But seriously, give the CSR a shot on the Asari Huntress. Put some Warp Rounds on it, then go Cloak -> Dark Channel -> CSR and watch things MELT. Like the others say, use bursts. If you're close to running out of ammo and the targeted enemy isn't dead, follow up with Warp for the BE. If he is dead, wait for the rifle to recharge and repeat the cycle.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
What's the fastest way to get the N7 mastery over with? I feel like its taking too long just to get 1 promotion.

Should i focus on one class? Start doing Gold matches very early, even if it makes them harder by missing so many power upgrades? I'm still only at 25/60, not even halfway there yet.. ugh.

exYle

What's the fastest way to get the N7 mastery over with? I feel like its taking too long just to get 1 promotion.

Should i focus on one class? Start doing Gold matches very early, even if it makes them harder by missing so many power upgrades? I'm still only at 25/60, not even halfway there yet.. ugh.

Stock up some credits, promote everything and then spam recruit packs.
Should help with both levelling up and getting consumables.

Chocobro

How much experience do the recruit pack character cards give and how frequent do they come up in the packs? I honestly forgot.

Edit: Never mind, I found out!

Bisnic

Arent the character cards in recruit packs only giving crap XP, like 12000 or 15000? I may still be better off buying the 99k credits packs for the UR chance and sometimes getting those 250000 XP cards.

Bisnic

After reading into it, some were saying they give 12.5K or 62.5K.
http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/topic/343/index/14890927
This guy averaged about 867,000 exp per 100K spent on recruit packs.

Maybe its worth it then, but i still hate how my chances of getting URs will go from 5%(or whatever shit drop chance it is) to 0% while i'm attempting to do N7 Mastery, and i still need to get my Pistol Power Magnifier from III to V. Maybe i'll wait until i get that before buying Recruit Packs.

Sai

Went through 600k credits, only UR drop was a Black Widow X.

I don't use it, but at least it's out of the way.

Sill4

Oh dude dont use that geth pulse rifle it SUCKS. The GPS is also way too heavy for the engineer isnt it? I like to be able to spam overload, its a life saver. For the Engineer i usually use a Hurricane V or Collector Assault Rifle X.

Another one you may wish to use is the COllector Sniper Rifle X - it takes a while to get used to but its a great piece of kit.

Basically, you burst fire it from distance with Incindiery rounds, then use overload to set up fire explosions. If people get too close then use overload.

I dont use Hunter mode for this build as there is no point - i prefer having 1300 shields at max fitness.

Turrets should enter any room before you do as well.

GOT TO BE GETHY!

But you're right about Hunter Mode, I may do a build without it. GPS works pretty good imo, to finish of ppl as my turret works on them.

Kaper

How should I build my fem Quarian Engineer? Turret shock and flamethrower seems great for CC and explosions, but I haven't used a sentry turret class ever and the threads I looked at on the bioware forums seem to give mixed opinions.

exYle

How should I build my fem Quarian Engineer? Turret shock and flamethrower seems great for CC and explosions, but I haven't used a sentry turret class ever and the threads I looked at on the bioware forums seem to give mixed opinions.

You should close the customization screen, press the Y button (or Triangle, or PC equivalent), switch to another character, and then never look back

So that's why you haven't accepted my friend request.

:( now I feel bad.

But yeah, I was on my box watching netflix a few nights ago, and was literally having to reconnect every 3-5 minutes. It's been better the last couple nights, but I should call those fools again all the same.

Yeah, people are stupid.

Some idiot: "Hey dude, kick this guy, his N7 is only 120."

Me: "N7 means nothing, only that I haven't promoted. And I have lvl10 weapons to your lvl2; and lvl4 ammo with lvl5 gear."

Idiot: "Whatever. I'm not babysitting your ass, you go down it's on you."

I'm an AIU.
Me: "... yeah... likewise."

So I end up soloing most of the later rounds, never having to use my medigel, and I'm the only one to extract. 130k to his 25k.

Idiot: "You only did well because of that cheap character. Play a soldier, then talk."

Me: "Hahaha, ok. Have fun dying." *leaves*

I love it when people get mad at you for playing a strong class and then carrying their lame asses through a match with it. Better you should have wiped with a locust wielding Turian soldier* just so he could be right about you, you insensitive jerk!

I admittedly get leery about someone without any promotions under their belt, because it does typically signify a new player, but yeah, it takes 2 seconds to check someone's loadout at that point, and frankly, unless it's on platinum, I don't really care if they are new. Actually, the most fun thing is to carry some complete newbie through a platinum when you have a solid group of 3, some of them quit, but the ones that stick around long enough to realize your group can carry them are usually on board for the massive payout.

*not actually that bad.

Kaper

You should close the customization screen, press the Y button (or Triangle, or PC equivalent), switch to another character, and then never look back

That bad? I never really liked the combat drone AI, and I assume the turrets are just as lame. I seem to remember the quarian classes being quite good in the beta. Is it just that all the new classes are just that much better?

exYle

That bad? I never really liked the combat drone AI, and I assume the turrets are just as lame. I seem to remember the quarian classes being quite good in the beta. Is it just that all the new classes are just that much better?

The Combat Drone and the Turret pretty much equally useless. The Combat Drone has utility in it's basically non-existant cooldown (although the turret's cooldown is also incredibly fast), which makes it an ideal distraction. It can also potentially set up fire explosions, but that part is very unreliable.

The turret has a similar lack of utility. It has a Flamethrower option, but the flamethrower is weak and it's ability to set up Fire Explosions is incredibly spotty. Past that, the turret has basically no usage. The FQE's other powers also have poor synchronization - primarily because her third power is Cryo Blast.

Cryo Blast is absolutely useless. Everything it does, Snap Freeze does better. Cryo Blast's only utility is weakening armor, but that hardly makes it worthwhile. You can only get a Cryo Explosion on an enemy that has no shields or armor - i.e., enemies with unprotected health. Even from there, you have to wait until the enemy is completely frozen (not-moving, likely fallen over), which takes a second or two, before you can follow up with Incinerate for the Cryo Explosion. The even worse part is that Cryo Blast does NOT detonate Fire Explosions (or really any kind of explosion), which really dampens the potential of Incinerate.

So, the FQE's only decent power is Incinerate, and that power is really only good for a Fire explosion source power or CE/FE/TB detonator. On the FQE, Incinerate has little to no functionality.

I had the FQE during the ME3 MP Demo period. She was even worse then, because CE's were confined to killing blows only. I can tell you that all Male Quarian kits and the FQI handily outclass her.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Any idea guys on how to get secondary colors on a N7 human adept (project phoenix dude who is ironically just called a male human adept). I'm not sure whether recruit packs will work if I have to take my chances with vetern etc.

Anyway anyone wanna be friends on pc origin to play this game. didn't get origin until not too long ago for this game, so my friend list is sadly non existent.

Bisnic

Any idea guys on how to get secondary colors on a N7 human adept (project phoenix dude who is ironically just called a male human adept). I'm not sure whether recruit packs will work if I have to take my chances with vetern etc.

Anyway anyone wanna be friends on pc origin to play this game. didn't get origin until not too long ago for this game, so my friend list is sadly non existent.

To get secondary colors, you need to get the same class again from a pack. And a good portion of them are considered "rare"(like your phoenix guy) and can only be found in spectre, premium spectre or reserve packs. Recruit packs only have the common humans, and Veteran packs some uncommon aliens and a low chance at rare ones.

Since you're new, you might want to stick to Recruit(5k credits) and Veteran(20k credits) to get some consumables and get higher ranks for some of your weapons. Unless you don't mind having to farm a lot of Bronze games only giving around 17k credits when the better packs cost 60k and 99k.

You could add me if you want(Origin name same as GAF), i still do Bronze games because of all the promotions i do and the 200 waves i need for challenges. Don't be surprised if i kill everything very fast considering i have most of the stuff unlocked and maxed. :p Not like your personal score matters anyway, everyone get the same amount of XP and credits.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
The Combat Drone and the Turret pretty much equally useless. The Combat Drone has utility in it's basically non-existant cooldown (although the turret's cooldown is also incredibly fast), which makes it an ideal distraction. It can also potentially set up fire explosions, but that part is very unreliable.

The turret has a similar lack of utility. It has a Flamethrower option, but the flamethrower is weak and it's ability to set up Fire Explosions is incredibly spotty. Past that, the turret has basically no usage. The FQE's other powers also have poor synchronization - primarily because her third power is Cryo Blast.

Cryo Blast is absolutely useless. Everything it does, Snap Freeze does better. Cryo Blast's only utility is weakening armor, but that hardly makes it worthwhile. You can only get a Cryo Explosion on an enemy that has no shields or armor - i.e., enemies with unprotected health. Even from there, you have to wait until the enemy is completely frozen (not-moving, likely fallen over), which takes a second or two, before you can follow up with Incinerate for the Cryo Explosion. The even worse part is that Cryo Blast does NOT detonate Fire Explosions (or really any kind of explosion), which really dampens the potential of Incinerate.

So, the FQE's only decent power is Incinerate, and that power is really only good for a Fire explosion source power or CE/FE/TB detonator. On the FQE, Incinerate has little to no functionality.

I had the FQE during the ME3 MP Demo period. She was even worse then, because CE's were confined to killing blows only. I can tell you that all Male Quarian kits and the FQI handily outclass her.
True QFEs know that the Turret is for the rockets and nothing else.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
To get secondary colors, you need to get the same class again from a pack. And a good portion of them are considered "rare"(like your phoenix guy) and can only be found in spectre, premium spectre or reserve packs. Recruit packs only have the common humans, and Veteran packs some uncommon aliens and a low chance at rare ones.

Since you're new, you might want to stick to Recruit(5k credits) and Veteran(20k credits) to get some consumables and get higher ranks for some of your weapons. Unless you don't mind having to farm a lot of Bronze games only giving around 17k credits when the better packs cost 60k and 99k.

You could add me if you want(Origin name same as GAF), i still do Bronze games because of all the promotions i do and the 200 waves i need for challenges. Don't be surprised if i kill everything very fast considering i have most of the stuff unlocked and maxed. :p Not like your personal score matters anyway, everyone get the same amount of XP and credits.

I'm new but I have a decent grasp of gold level challenges I can at least contribute about the same as my other team members in a successful run. Platinum's still an absolute bitch though haven't played it in a while, so I'd probably do a lot better now it just feels terrible when your getting carried to the point your barely contributing much meaningful to the team.

I'll add you on origin now.

Bisnic

I'm new but I have a decent grasp of gold level challenges I can at least contribute about the same as my other team members in a successful run. Platinum's still an absolute bitch though haven't played it in a while, so I'd probably do a lot better now it just feels terrible when your getting carried to the point your barely contributing much meaningful to the team.

I'll add you on origin now.

To be honest, not even me who have everything maxed except Ultra Rare weapons bother doing Platinum. Waves takes forever, groups rarely succeed extractions... I find its better sticking with Gold where I extract most of the time after 20-25 minutes and get my 70k-80k credits.

But hey, if you can manage doing Gold even by having the beginner weapons, that's good! As long as you take classes that do not depend too much on weapons like Adepts, I guess that's doable indeed. Since you have the Phoenix Adept, you can just spam Smash for close range targets(it even go through walls if you didn't know) or Lash on unarmored guys(if you took the last talent that make it go through barriers and shields) and put a Singularity every now and then, and be pretty successful that way.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
To be honest, not even me who have everything maxed except Ultra Rare weapons bother doing Platinum. Waves takes forever, groups rarely succeed extractions... I find its better sticking with Gold where I extract most of the time after 20-25 minutes and get my 70k-80k credits.

But hey, if you can manage doing Gold even by having the beginner weapons, that's good! As long as you take classes that do not depend too much on weapons like Adepts, I guess that's doable indeed. Since you have the Phoenix Adept, you can just spam Smash for close range targets(it even go through walls if you didn't know) or Lash on unarmored guys(if you took the last talent that make it go through barriers and shields) and put a Singularity every now and then, and be pretty successful that way.

With some fellas I play with, we have a platinum strat that takes around 28 minutes.

But it requires certain classes and the only guys in our gang that have them unlocked play once in a blue moon these days.

And no, it's not the box of shame. Which is doable but slow, 30-40 mins.

Principate

Saint Titanfall

Honestly I didn't put any points in singularity, felt maxing out my passives were more worthwhile for since I didn't tend to use that ability to combo biotics. My weapon array isn't that bad, but the issue is the I'm guessing most of the worthwhile weapons are only rank 1 or two and by mods are severely lacking.

Bisnic

Honestly I didn't put any points in singularity, felt maxing out my passives were more worthwhile for since I didn't tend to use that ability to combo biotics. My weapon array isn't that bad, but the issue is the I'm guessing most of the worthwhile weapons are only rank 1 or two and by mods are severely lacking.

A single point in Singularity can still be worth it to set some Biotic Explosions through Smash and Lash. It even set Biotic Explosions on targets with shield/barrier/armor, even if they don't float in the air.

Kaper

Jesus fucking Christ the Reegar is insane. I just unlocked it, threw it on my Geth Soldier and the difference is night and day. Before the Reegar flamer was fun, but shields ruined that fun. Now with the Reegar everything burns!

Jesus fucking Christ the Reegar is insane. I just unlocked it, threw it on my Geth Soldier and the difference is night and day. Before the Reegar flamer was fun, but shields ruined that fun. Now with the Reegar everything burns!

Drop the Reegar and grab an Acolyte instead. It is better at stripping shields and it weighs less so you will have a much faster cooldown.

Bisnic

how does a gun contribute to bio explosions?

I loved the non charge acolyte. havent used it since. I use the executioner pistol x now. so fukn deadly.

Don't really like the Executioner since it only have 1 bullet per clip. You miss, you reload. I prefer the Paladin or Carnifex. 3 bullets of the Paladin is better than 1 of the Executioner. :p

I'll give the Executioner the "Most badass sound" award though.

Chocobro

how does a gun contribute to bio explosions?

I loved the non charge acolyte. havent used it since. I use the executioner pistol x now. so fukn deadly.

Maybe he was referring to how the Acolyte can strip most, if not all, the shields of minions allowing for a OHK BE? I think a gun can contribute to BEs, ie. Falcon, staggers minions so they won't dodge the biotic detonator (or primer) resulting in more consistent BEs. Dunno, guess it's how you interpret what he means.

Which reminds me, I should give the Human Sentinel with the Falcon a shot, haven't played a human character in so long.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
Haha!

you're joking, right? Please tell me you're joking

Actually no.

You set up a turret on a overpass that can't be reached on Jade or Condor and you're raining rockets on the majority of the map without even having to pay attention to it.

Top Bottom