• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 3 Spoiler Thread |OT2| Taste the Rainbow

A linear gameplay experience with a story and big set pieces.

ME3 isn't far from it in terms of mission structure and character dialog.

You mean, characters interacting with one another yes and not that Bioware's dialog is on the same level as Naughty Dog's yes?

That would be like comparing...well...me to the Coen brothers.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
From what I gathered, if you destroyed them, then space travel has become severely limited and I'm not even sure they could make it out of their own galaxy or into space at all.

How did you play the Mass Effect games and still have no concept of space or the structure of the universe?

They could have also left it open and still moved on. Good ending, open to more, but say "We are done with this now, byeeeee". Less hurt all around. Makes no sense what they did.

A thousand times this.

I can respect them wanting to move on to bigger, better, and newer things. I don't blame them for that in the slightest. But you don't need to crash a franchise into the ground just because you don't want to work on it any more.

If I were only allowed to give just one reason on why I hate the ending it would be because it destroys what made the ME universe such a great place. I could live with an ambiguous ending where it's left to the player to decide what happens next, like that fan edit where Shepard and Anderson stare out into space as the fade to black hits. I could even live with an ending where the entire attacking fleet is wiped out, and Earth destroyed but it's still a victory. This wouldn't be what I prefer, but I could still accept it because at the end of the day it would still feel like it was worth it.

It's analogous to not being able to use the warp drive in Star Trek. It robs the series of the wonder, exploration, and scale that was the backdrop to the story. It turns it into a smaller and uninteresting place, and kills the magic of the setting. Ultimately, any victory feels so hollow - even forgetting all the starvation, war and chaos that would surely follow if you analyse it for a second - that it's just not worth bothering with.

How did you play the Mass Effect games and still have no concept of space or the structure of the universe?

I don't understand your snark. From what I understood from the ending, it seemed they can't travel outside the galaxy or possibly even into space at all. How is that so hard to understand?

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
So then explain it if I'm wrong then.

Am I mixing up the concepts of galaxies and solar systems?

The-Observable-Universe.jpg

Yes.

Just got around to watching the Indoctrination video.

Eh, it's an interesting idea. About half of the video seems like legit stuff, and the other half is taken so far out of context that it doesn't matter. I'd probably prefer it to what actually happened, but that just means that I never got an ending in my game. I'm not sure which is worse.

rdrr gnr

The reapers have nothing to do with space travel.

It's all about the relays. Space travel can still be done...the relays just let it be done faster (if not instantaneously)
Faster is relative. Obviously the Galaxy Map doesn't scale, but relays were needed to travel between star systems (intragalactic travel) and traveling between galaxies themselves was not possible (intergalactic/dark space). If a game were to take place after the events of ME3 and the relays were not there, the game would have to be relegated to a more local setting e.g. a single solar system. Of course, this is fiction -- sci-fi, at that -- so who gives a shit.

Zomba13

Mmkay, that was informative. Galaxy wasn't the right word but either way. Destroy the Reapers and space travel is fucked.

It's not so much fucked as it is a lot harder. With the relays you could get from one end of the galaxy to the other in next to no time at all. At the end of ME3 they can still travel but only with FTL which would take them years to perform the same trip (not to mention take a shit load of fuel etc).

It's not so much fucked as it is a lot harder. With the relays you could get from one end of the galaxy to the other in next to no time at all. At the end of ME3 they can still travel but only with FTL which would take them years to perform the same trip (not to mention take a shit load of fuel etc).

And static discharge.

And so no one thinks I am too nitpicky about it, it is in the codex.

I don't understand your snark. From what I understood from the ending, it seemed they can't travel outside the galaxy or possibly even into space at all. How is that so hard to understand?

Why would the destruction of the Reapers prevent space travel altogether? Sure they lose the ability to use the Relays but that just allows ships to warp across the galaxy at very high speeds. But it's not like not having them grounds all spaceships. They'll still be able to travel through space albeit not across great distances.

I know the game is supposed to boot you back to right before the point of no return after you beat it, but did anyone else just get a blank screen after the pop-up saying you beat the game. I press X and nothing happens.

rdrr gnr

All they need to do is harness the power of what transported your squadmates back onto the Normady: terrible writing. You see, with terrible writing anything is possible! Issues with light-speed? No problem! Terrible writing has you covered.

CushVA

Someone at BSN found an old copy of Game Informer that dealt with ME3 (May 2011 #217): http://social.bioware.com/forum/Mas...e-Mass-Effect-3-Game-Informer-10927975-1.html
From a section entitled THE PLAN:

“In Mass Effect 3, you know you need to take back Earth, but the path to victory is less clear at the outset. You won’t just find some long-lost Reaper “off” button; says Hudson”

From a section called OLD CONFLICTS, NEW ALLIES:

“Don’t expect to win the loyalty of the galaxy by simply completing a series of fetch quests,”

In a section called BEYOND THE TRILOGY:

“… part of what you’re trying to do is save the universe so you can live in it. That’s part of the promise, I think, for any great IP. It has to be a world worth saving… I think Mass Effect has that quality to it. If you get rid of the Reapers and win that, wouldn’t it be amazing to just live on the Citadel or just take a ship to Omega? That makes sense.”

I left my codex in the Horse Head Nebula, so I'll trust you. This time...
Hey, I'm always trustworthy sometimes

All they need to do is harness the power of what transported your squadmates back onto the Normady: terrible writing. You see, with terrible writing anything is possible! Issues with light-speed? No problem! Terrible writing has you covered.

Why wasn't terrible writing mentioned in the first game? When it's introduced in the last few minutes of the game, it comes off as a deus ex machina. I wanted to shoot terrible writing in the head.

def sim

I know the reddit poll has a small sample size, but if it's indicative of most people maybe the press were, if even a little, right. Seems like people want a new ending and for it to be a happy one.

I know the reddit poll has a small sample size, but if it's indicative of most people maybe the press were, if even a little, right. Seems like people want a new ending and for it to be a happy one.

I'd prefer to see it "happy" in a way that the things you did in ME3 actually get to develop and happen. There'd still be near-ruined planets to rebuild and millions/billions dead.

But you know, krogan developing a society again, quarians/geth working together to rebuild Rannoch, everyone pitching in to help out on Earth and Palavan, etc...

DTKT

Bittersweet endings are hard to do. I would feel "safer" with a positive ending. Less chances of Bioware messing it up.

senador

Banned

This is kind of a "duh" to me. Of course people would want a happy ending. This doesn't explain why they are unhappy with it though.

rdrr gnr

It's the other way around. Sample size is plenty large; how it was acquired is the issue. The sample is non-random; therefore, it is not "indicative of most people." But that doesn't necessarily mean it's wrong. I'd say, among those who are fans of the series, the response is overwhelming negative. The rest -- the non-vocal majority -- are apathetic or wholly incapable of stringing together an articulate evaluation.

hao chi

I actually want Shepard to be able to live, but just because I think at this point Bioware has gone to the "Shepard Dies" well enough times.

Someone at BSN found an old copy of Game Informer that dealt with ME3 (May 2011 #217): http://social.bioware.com/forum/Mas...e-Mass-Effect-3-Game-Informer-10927975-1.html

I am actually starting to wonder if there is a single statement from Casey Hudson with regard to ME 3 that was not complete and utter bullshit. I think in the future if good ole Casey is involved in any game I am interested in I will take the "what ever he says the exact opposite will happen" approach.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
I am actually starting to wonder if there is a single statement from Casey Hudson with regard to ME 3 that was not complete and utter bullshit. I think in the future if good ole Casey is involved in any game I am interested in I will take the "what ever he says the exact opposite will happen" approach.

Ah... the "Molyneux Method"

def sim

It's the other way around. Sample size is plenty large; how it was acquired is the issue. The sample is non-random; therefore, it is not "indicative of most people." But that doesn't necessarily mean it's wrong. I'd say, among those who are fans of the series, the response is overwhelming negative. The rest -- the non-vocal majority -- are apathetic or wholly incapable of stringing together an articulate evaluation.

I appreciate how mean that last sentence is.

I'm a-okay with a less than happy ending. The way this story was set-up and considering how many people had already died along the way, I didn't think there was a neat way to tie things up and make things "happy."

In fact, I love an epic story that ends with things not being necessarily tied up in a neat bow. In an earlier post I mentioned the Hyperion books, which did a fantastic job of creating a world then really shaking it up at the end. A good writer/storyteller can create a fantastic ending that is satisfying on multiple levels without resorting to cheesy Hollywood endings or cliches. BioWare had the opportunity to really deliver an emotional hit with the ending, but they managed to drop the ball in so many ways.

It really does make you wonder what the hell they were thinking when they came up with this. As a writer myself, I wouldn't want to end a story in such an unfulfilling way.

Bowdz

God, reading through that Hudson thread is hilarious. So many crushed souls, a player/developer trust utterly shattered. It's like a child learning there is no Santa Claus. How about some of these quotes from GI and Xbox World around the same time:

Casey Hudson said:
"Absolutely," he says. "Definitely. The challenge is to make the game better than ever before, to make it a great entry point for new players, and to make it the ending fans deserve. It's about making sure it starts the way a great story should start versus just being a continuation. And thats tough because there is no canon except for what the player has chosen. In the end, its their game".

Casey Hudson said:
Hudson: No, it’s different, because it’s unclear to Shepard and the player what you have to do to win the war against the Reapers. Part of what you’re trying to do is to explore the story and the galaxy and the experience so that you can understand what has to be done. Some missions start to shed light on what you need to do. As things progress in the high-level storyline, we’re constantly trying to do redirects. You think you win the war by doing one thing, and then you realize it’s something else.

Casey Hudson said:
"It’s more like there are some really obvious things that are different and then lots and lots of smaller things, lots of things about who lives and who dies, civilizations that rose and fell, all the way down to individual characters. That becomes the state of where you left your galaxy. The endings have a lot more sophistication and variety in them. It would be interesting to see if somebody could put together a chart for that. Even with Mass Effect 2’s..."

Top Bottom