• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 3 Spoiler Thread |OT2| Taste the Rainbow

I feel exactly as you did, the ending really just put a damper on everything. I normally would've jumped straight into NG+ like I did in ME1 and ME2, this time I had to let it sit for a week before I wanted to start, and even then I haven't had the heart to keep going when that ending is looming overhead :(

I played Me 1 and ME 2 through so...so many times.

I'll not be playing through ME 3 a second time.

That piece of paper took an hour?

My toddler could do better with fingerpaints.

You have to understand that they were also busy accepting emails and reading forums in order to get feedback from Bioware customers while writing the ending. Customer feedback is important. You wouldn't know that because you don't work for Bioware.

...you don't work for Bioware don't you?

DTKT

You are all so grumpy and cynical. :|

I would like to remind you that both Casey Hudson and Mac Walters are human beings.

So, I'm up for a "Director's Cut" of ME3 sometime down the line. How 'bout you guys?

How about that artistic integrity?

So, I'm up for a "Director's Cut" of ME3 sometime down the line. How 'bout you guys?

I'll wait three to five years for the inevitable fan remake.

You are all so grumpy and cynical. :|

I would like to remind you that both Casey Hudson and Mac Walters and human beings.

How about that artistic integrity?

xD

This fucking thread is a thousand times more entertaining than ME 3.

A thousand!

Bowdz

I wish Bioware cared about it's fans and such. I'd love to see a documentary style discussion ect . about the end of the game and the decisions that went with it. And just talk legitly about what happened/their thoughts. Hopefully we get that one day...

The Youtube user Archengia (whose first video was posted before) frames the indoctrination theory discussion quite nicely.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cVU5BHJYgGM&feature=related#t=35m00s

Archengia said:
Indoctrination theory is the realization that the player base cares more about their game than the people who made it.

To be clear, I think the bulk of Bioware (including Hudson) really are passionate about ME and their efforts can be seen throughout ME3. For whatever reason however, be it poor management, egos, budget and time constraints, Hudson and Walters lost the same passion that the fanbase has and let the ending go as is.

You mean the ending it seems to have taken them all of an hour to write?

Inconceivable!
YEA! ARTISTIC INTEGRITY.

What the fuck is artistic integrity when it's an entire team working on a product? Especially when only a couple of those worked on the ending. Who's integrity is it? The companies? The artists? The team? The director? It's absurd to relate something like a painters brush to a game creation.

And like I said. When you start charging for your stuff, you lose all your artistic integrity.

The Youtube use Archengia (whose first video was posted before) frames the indoctrination theory discussion quite nicely.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cVU5BHJYgGM&feature=related#t=35m00s
I'll give that a watch. But I meant more the developers (Casey, Mac ect.) discussing what happened. Probably a year from now, where sales wont matter anymore.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
I feel exactly as you did, the ending really just put a damper on everything. I normally would've jumped straight into NG+ like I did in ME1 and ME2, this time I had to let it sit for a week before I wanted to start, and even then I haven't had the heart to keep going when that ending is looming overhead :(

This might sound crazy to some people... hell, this sound crazy to myself, but I am the kind of guy who really is uncomfortable with discontinuity. Meaning, for example, I just can't play as Soldier in Mass Effect 1 and then play as Infiltrator in Mass Effect 2 without feeling strange about it.

On the same token, I can't just create a new character on Mass Effect 3 in a new game+ without feeling weird about it--I need to have that new character experienced the events in Mass Effect 1 and Mass Effect 2 as well. I cannot have an Infiltrator Shepard in Mass Effect 3 without having an Infiltrator Shepard in Mass Effect 1 and 2. I cannot simply just restart the game and have a different class just because. I need that feeling of "consistency."

This is the reason why I invested literally hundreds of hours playing and replaying Mass Effect 1 and 2. Every time I decided to replay Mass Effect 2, I always started at the beginning of Mass Effect 1 because otherwise I will be weirded out by the feeling of discontinuity.

And now this habit of mine comes biting me in my arse due to the ending of Mass Effect 3.

If by "Director's Cut" you mean the Director is really being cut off, then I am all up for it.

How about before the suicide mission so the crew you spent the whole game building up won't be reduced to cameos?

Man...oh man...

...is this where we hug it out?

This might sound crazy to some people... hell, this sound crazy to myself, but I am the kind of guy who really is uncomfortable with discontinuity. Meaning, for example, I just can't play as Soldier in Mass Effect 1 and then play as Infiltrator in Mass Effect 2 without feeling strange about it.

On the same token, I can't just create a new character on Mass Effect 3 in a new game+ without feeling weird about it--I need to have that new character experienced the events in Mass Effect 1 and Mass Effect 2 as well. I cannot have an Infiltrator Shepard in Mass Effect 3 without having an Infiltrator Shepard in Mass Effect 1 and 2. I cannot simply just restart the game and have a different class just because. I need that feeling of "consistency."

This is the reason why I invested literally hundreds of hours playing and replaying Mass Effect 1 and 2. Every time I decided to replay Mass Effect 2, I always started at the beginning of Mass Effect 1 because otherwise I will be weirded out by the feeling of discontinuity.

And now this habit of mine comes biting me in my arse due to the ending of Mass Effect 3.

That is exactly how I did it...like...exactly.

We are not unique and beautiful snowflakes.

Hell yea. This was my original fix for this problem, it'd probably piss all the fans off even more. But it would be the best way to fix it. Because to get the proper ending we'd all love would cost a shitton and having the ability to go to EA and say, "Hey we will RESELL the game as the director cut" would give them a bigger budget to work with.

But one day, my wish is to have them do the Reworked trilogy on the next gen consoles; 1080p, steady 30fps ect. ect. Repolished mako, with added density to the planets. My pants are tight.

Antiochus

From a section entitled THE PLAN:

“In Mass Effect 3, you know you need to take back Earth, but the path to victory is less clear at the outset. You won’t just find some long-lost Reaper “off” button; says Hudson”

From a section called OLD CONFLICTS, NEW ALLIES:

“Don’t expect to win the loyalty of the galaxy by simply completing a series of fetch quests,”

This is a text block entitled MASS EFFECT MEETS MULTIPLAYER?

“When the teaser for Mass Effect 3 first released, rumours were swirling that the project was actually a multiplayer title set in the Mass Effect universe. Those rumours turned out to be false, but it got many gamers thinking about how a multiplayer component would fit into the Mass Effect trilogy. Rest assured, the team has thought about this, too. “As a single-player experience, and just as a world that people want to immerse themselves in and share, we’ve been trying to think of a way that makes sense for people to experience Mass Effect with their friends,” says executive producer Casey Hudson. “We haven’t yet come up with a way to do that, so we don’t have anything to announce at this time. But, obviously, multiplayer is something we want to do more of in the future as a company.”

In a section called BEYOND THE TRILOGY:

“… part of what you’re trying to do is save the universe so you can live in it. That’s part of the promise, I think, for any great IP. It has to be a world worth saving… I think Mass Effect has that quality to it. If you get rid of the Reapers and win that, wouldn’t it be amazing to just live on the Citadel or just take a ship to Omega? That makes sense.”

Yet another confirmation on just how off the rails the rest of the game became compared to the PR last year, and this is all BEFORE the ending.
Horrifying does not begin to describe what has transpired in Edmonton.

Bowdz

Hell yea. This was my original fix for this problem, it'd probably piss all the fans off even more. But it would be the best way to fix it. Because to get the proper ending we'd all love would cost a shitton and having the ability to go to EA and say, "Hey we will RESELL the game as the director cut" would give them a bigger budget to work with.

But one day, my wish is to have them do the Reworked trilogy on the next gen consoles; 1080p, steady 30fps ect. ect. Repolished mako, with added density to the planets. My pants are tight.

nod-of-approval.gif

If Bioware were somehow able to keep the artistic integrity of ME1 and not mess up the aesthetic of the game ...

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
I can already do that with my PC. 30FPS. :lol

A Mako with better controls would be nice, however.

rozay

Banned
play a drinking game where you take a shot every time a character in ME3 has the same animation to walk off screen from a conversation

you'll end up in the corner of elevator
to see the god child

Zerokku

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?
They reused assets? Is this shocking news? Most video game companies do this.

Just seems another addition to how fucking lazy the ending was is all. With it being the ending, you'd think they wouldn't reuse the same animation in that manner.

Moaradin

Just seems another addition to how fucking lazy the ending was is all. With it being the ending, you'd think they wouldn't reuse the same animation in that manner.

The ending is lazy and that scene is dumb because he is looking back as if he could see the explosion, but not because Bioware reuses assets, because most video game companies do this.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.

WTF?

Uh, no. That isn't even lazy, it's a natural movement.

The problem with the gif is he's looking behind into the cockpit. He can't see the explosion doing that, lol.

Zerokku

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?
The ending is lazy and that scene is dumb because he is looking back as if he could see the explosion, but not because Bioware reuses assets, because most video game companies do this.

I know that him not even being able to see the explosion is the dumbest part, I just think the ending of a series would be the one time you wouldn't be reusing assets quite like that, but I don't know game development, so whatever.

Edit: I guess what I'm trying to say is that the ending is the one place I'd expect a big name dev to put a bit more effort into something. I'm probably expecting too much.

I think it's safe to say a number of devs reuse assets. Even movie studios do this.

Logic prevails.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I never thought I'd see the day where people would seriously try and say a guy turning in a chair twice would be consider a lazy slap in the face of gamers. That was not the point of that post whatsoever.

Vamphuntr

It might not be that cut and dry. Casey had to be the one making the "hard" decisions. The choice to actually go with the current might not have been a choice. They had to go gold, they could not push the release date. They had to have a finale and that's all they could do in a minimal amount of time. These are the kind of decisions that happen every day in this industry. I give Mr.Hudson the benefit of the doubt. He's the one who pushed for ME1, created ME2 and was there for ME3. We'll never know if he's satisfied but I like to think that he's honest with himself.

tl:dr I still believe that Hudson is a good guy.

He still chose a stupid ending! I mean he could have forced the writers to come up with an ending before November and all seem to point towards the fact that he didn't and started to flip flop with it at the last minute. A stupid mistake is still mistake. Especially when the other writers warn you about how terrible your idea is.

It's hard to justify behind honest with himself when he did the exact opposite of what he hyped in interviews over 2 years. He also neglected that when taking his decision.

I mean yeah he took a stupid decision with Walters. I'm simply mocking him because of that bad choice. I'm not asking for him to be fire or demoted but I still stand by my point that it was a bad call and he deserves to be mocked for it. Short of time or not he was the one in charge and should have thought about the ending beforehand. He had all the time to think about it once ME2 was greenlit. He should also had listened to the other writers opinion and he should have tried to stay true to the vision he shared during interviews.

He did neither. He and Walters came up with space magic.

def sim

You know what animation I miss from ME1? The one where the person you're talking to, without turning their head, looks away before walking off after a conversation. So amazingly awkward.

rozay

Banned
If anything, I'm actually less appalled with the ending now that I know he looks back because of a reused animation and not because they wanted to show his fear of the explosion he can't see behind him.

MC Safety

BioWare and its parent EA have enough of my money.

I don't care about a new ending; I think the existing one can stand as a cautionary tale. What I do want is for companies to exercise a little quality control before the fact to avoid something like this happening again.

To game companies: Endings matter as much as the beginnings, as the DLC, and the multiplayer.

Aaron

To game companies: Endings matter as much as the beginnings, as the DLC, and the multiplayer.
This usually is far from true. The vast majority of people never finish games and see the ending. ME3 is an exception because a few hardcore fans blew it up, and so many people know they ending even if they didn't play all the way to it. The lesson here is more don't piss off the hardcore because they're vocal when they're mad, and it can taint your whole franchise. And the more hardcore your fanbase is, the more they can blow up.

LostVector

Neo Member
Ugh, people defending the ending by using the indoctrination theory are getting on my nerves. They seem to forget that, if the theory were to be true, the game would end with Shepard waking up on a still Reaper-infested Earth, delivering no resolution whatsoever. And yet some people are saying BioWare should be lauded for their "unconventional" approach.

If you see the "best" ending, he DOES wake up on earth.

Top Bottom