• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect: Andromeda |OT| Ryders on the Storm

Wootball

I tried to do a few other missions in the beginning, but it just didn't grab me. I got put into this world (Eos) and I didn't enjoy driving through it, there was nothing interesting to visit and see, I ended up just rushing through the missions. And that happened on all the other planets. I'm sorry, maybe it just wasn't for me - I usually struggle with open-worlds, they need to be very very tight in design (like the one in Horizon where I played 40 hours) for me not to have that "nope nope nope" feeling. Not bringing a discussion of Horizon vs Mass Effect, just using that as an example of a type of open-world I enjoy.

You didn't see anything interesting because you were rushing through the game. Some of the side missions are excellent - obviously there's some crap - and you're missing them by just blitzing it. Especially the squad missions.

Akai__

I have a feeling that I wasn't supposed to activate the 100% Viability on all Planets Mission, until some time later...
The message was literally broadcasted to places that I haven't been to yet.

Also, is Nexus Level 20 really the limit? Because it says I require -772 points for the next Level. I only have 19 Perks Unlocked and there is 28.

I have a feeling that I wasn't supposed to activate the 100% Viability on all Planets Mission, until some time later...
The message was literally broadcasted to places that I haven't been to yet.

Also, is Nexus Level 20 really the limit? Because it says I require -772 points for the next Level. I only have 19 Perks Unlocked and there is 28.

yes its a silly limit of 20 ;/

Dany

Banned
Overall I enjoyed the game. I really had to cull/ignore the bullshit. But this game has great combat, squadmates and planets. Some decent side quests. There is some good potential in Andromeda.

But I still would rather want a Mass effect 4 moving foward. Bar none. This game is good but still fares below the original trilogy.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Finished the main quest, strong ending - but ultimately this was a disappointing experience. I played a total of 11 hours and I'm completely done with it - zero interest in exploring further. The whole premise was completely failed in my opinion. This should have been about discovering new planets, a bunch of alien civilisations - both civilised and not -- and maybe build a new society with all of them. It could have been about developing a relationship with all of them, and creating a new union.

That would have been good, not this single conflict with a bad guy that was entirely predictable, while exploring empty worlds with an uninteresting design - for my tastes at least- to build colonies with the same old species we know all about by now. I'm left very negative about this one, it didn't click for me, unfortunately.

As echoed by other users, 11 hrs is *way* too short. The best parts about the game are all the squad members and their interactions + loyalty missions. You also missed a crap ton of universe-building side events.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Driving the Nomad through Kadara yesterday, I had some flashback of the Mako when i was unable to climb some very steep mountains and had to find that spot that the vehicle could drive easier.

At least I wasn't bouncing all over there place this time lol.

Dany

Banned
Driving the Nomad through Kadara yesterday, I had some flashback of the Mako when i was unable to climb some very steep mountains and had to find that spot that the vehicle could drive easier.

At least I wasn't bouncing all over there place this time lol.

It's a lot easier to climb up 'steep' mountains in this game. But totally, I had Mako vibes in Kadara and eledan

Peroroncino

Can somebody tell me what is that weapon Liam is holding? Looks like a next-gen model of M-8 Avenger but... I never really saw it anywhere outside of few cutscenes, is it even possible to obtain it?

17505322_1468862806508887_7364313986300961216_o.jpg

prag16

Banned
As echoed by other users, 11 hrs is *way* too short. The best parts about the game are all the squad members and their interactions + loyalty missions. You also missed a crap ton of universe-building side events.
Yeah no shit... I'm 29 hours in and just got to Kadara, even having started to skip a lot of the "tasks". 11 hours means you hardly even scratched the surface.

They did tread a little too close to a DA:I situation with the open world layout and questing style, but unlike that game it's entirely possible to keep focused. But of course he "didn't see anything interesting" just bumrushing the priority missions in 11 hours...

Despite many inexplicable warts that hold this back from being the masterpiece it should have been, this is my current GoTY for now, with Horizon as a close second.

JayB1920

Overall I enjoyed the game. I really had to cull/ignore the bullshit. But this game has great combat, squadmates and planets. Some decent side quests. There is some good potential in Andromeda.

But I still would rather want a Mass effect 4 moving foward. Bar none. This game is good but still fares below the original trilogy.

Im enjoying it a lot and while a lot of sidequests have been great I'm getting a little burned out. still have Eleeden and the loyalty missions to do yet and haven't advanced story past kadara. On a replay as male Ryder i'll stick with loyalty missions, the quests you get automatically or via email and the quests required to settle planets. Everyone else ill tell I'm too busy. Im hoping that will focus on the better quests overall.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Can somebody tell me what is that weapon Liam is holding? Looks like a next-gen model of M-8 Avenger but... I never really saw it anywhere outside of few cutscenes, is it even possible to obtain it?

Looks like a modified white colored M96 Mattock Heavy Rifle.

me3_argus_assault_rifcsbjz.png

MaxiLive

This game makes me real sad at times :( I'll start of by saying I've been enjoying my time with it even though something bugs our/looks weird every 5 minutes I'm still enjoying it.

Last night thought it took me over an hour to complete one mission on EOS due to glitches and even when it was working as intended the experience wasn't a good one one. First glitch my character got stuck in the ground and I died, 2nd glitch was my alt tabbing (running in Windows'd mode on PC) to reply to someone on Steam, tabbed back in and apparently "your game files have been tampered with and the game has to close"... 3rd time was the elevator not triggering so I couldn't advance.

All of that was tainted by very rough checkpoints meaning I was losing 15-20 minutes progress each time. Then when it was working Kett were spawning right in front of me, I could headshot one and one would spawn 1m next to him right in front of me (this happened countless times). The game was even trying to hide spawn points! Then the area was quite plain to look at, my NPC buddies seem to enjoy jumping off a cliff randomly or walking on invisible platforms... Then the boss of said mission got me trapped in a corner once and in a box another time and killed me.

It really was Mass Effect at it's worst and it was really bad. If it wasn't a Mass Effect game that I had been waiting for for years I would of Alt+F4'd and not returned. With saying the above 20 minutes after I did another quest that was very enjoyable and made me enjoy the game again.

So hit and miss :( Still enjoying it though even though there is soooooo much I could moan about I'm ignoring most of it and still having fun the majority of the time.

dmix90

30 hours in and playing on Voeld. I will take a few of my words back........game is broken as fuck. Graphics glitches, AI, crazy enemy respawn right in front of you, floating enemies....jesus. Eos was much better, this planet feels like 5 different textures mixed across the whole territory. New alien race is also very underwhelming so far.

Akai__

Question about one of the other Arks.
Does the Turian Ark never dock onto the Nexus?

Also, the UI for Research and Development is a nightmare. They really shouldn't have sub-menus and advanced menus for every single item and they shouldn't appear all as individual item. Get rid of all the lower tier items, once you have unlocked a better one. Please.

Every time I leave a R&D station, the Framerate also goes to ~15FPS easily.

I doubt it. DAI limited you to 20 perks as well. Just trying to make it so you have to pick and choose what you want.

Either way. That's pretty stupid, regardless of how they are handling it.

Coxy100

Banned
A little advice about biotics please... (I like Adept).

I'm only level 6 at the mo - but throw seems pretty useless. Can you make a success out of singularity / throw / pull?

If not... Charge / Annihlation / Lance seems to be a very popular build...but does it work in later levels? I don't like the idea of using charge and being stuck in the middle of enemies etc.

Plasma

Banned
A little advice about biotics please... (I like Adept).

I'm only level 6 at the mo - but throw seems pretty useless. Can you make a success out of singularity / throw / pull?

If not... Charge / Annihlation / Lance seems to be a very popular build...but does it work in later levels? I don't like the idea of using charge and being stuck in the middle of enemies etc.
Throw is really good when you combine it with pull.

right what are the tips for loadouts and mods. I am enjoying it even with the jank but the amount of things getting thrown at me is a little overwhelming.
Put the AR Chasis and AR Mag size mods on the PAW. It'll increase the damage and amount of firing time you've got.

Actually, just put the __ Chasis mods on everything if you can. Then figure out if you want more accuracy/damage/ammo/whatever.

Don't ask me about armor, I really haven't touched that stuff.

Can any PC players confirm controller support for the multiplayer?
Played a couple of matches Wednesday and it worked fine. Make sure you don't have Steam running in the background while you play though. It makes the game freak out for some reason.

It looks like one of the Pathfinder guns in the Deluxe Edition, but I've been told there are some cosmetic differences, so I'm not 100% sure. I wouldn't be surprised if A) it winds up being DLC down the line or B) Gibbed's Save Editor lets you get it somehow.

Akai__

I just hope they bring some Geth along for the ride. ;)

The Quarian Ark would have to leave after the events of Rannoch then. Do you think they would do this? I mean, they stated that the Quarian Ark hasn't departed yet, when all the other ones already did and I'd really love the Geth to be back. Easily one of the better aliens.

Why doesn't it? It really bothered me, seemed like the game was glitched.

SAM says that it wouldn't survive a FTL jump, iirc.

The whole
Turian Ark
Quest was so underwhelming. Wished they handled it better.

prag16

Banned
Withholding content that is already in the game. Gotta love it.

How is that withholding content that is already in the game? At most they just don't let you have EVERYTHING unlocked at the same time in the same playthrough.

This would be like complaining that it's not possible to max out every single skill tree in a single playthrough. It's not withholding content.

jem0208

How good is the main story in this game?

I'm playing the trial and I'm actually quite enjoying it. The animations etc don't really bother me much and the setup for the story seems decent. I'm just concerned whether or not it maintains that interest.

prag16

Banned
How good is the main story in this game?

I'm playing the trial and I'm actually quite enjoying it. The animations etc don't really bother me much and the setup for the story seems decent. I'm just concerned whether or not it maintains that interest.

So far it's not breaking any new ground or anything, but for me it's solid and has definitely been enough to pull me along and hold my interest (probably around halfway through the main story).

Vengal

Googling around and people are saying it's the avenger aax5 and it's not currently in the game outside of the default cutscene gun. There are some cosplay versions of it out there if you image search.

Zakalwe

Banned
So... PeeBee is responsible for the Remnant nomenclature, right? When Ryder meets her on Eos she explains why she's named them and Ryder accepts that and from then on the entire Initiative uses the names.

Ok, so it's a bit clunky how PeeBee explains these names, but I guess SAM could have uploaded the data immediately to the Nexus so everyone there knows to use them...

But when they reach the Angaran home world, how the hell do they also know to call the Remnant that?

Did I miss something here?

Also, whenever they give something a "cool" sounding name in this game like "RemTech", they back it up with a really awkward explanation of why that name was chosen. I guess it's the natural way these things would happen, but for some reason it just stands out as clunky here. Anyone else notice that?

(Still enjoying this game a lot, regardless)

So Cora vs Jack in an all out biotic fight. Who wins?

I was initially thinking Jack since she plays dirty while Cora is very by the book. But Cora's book seems to be all about subversive tactics anyway.

grimmiq

So... PeeBee is responsible for the Remnant nomenclature, right? When Ryder meets her on Eos she explains why she's named them and Ryder accepts that and from then on the entire Initiative uses the names.

Ok, so it's a bit clunky how PeeBee explains these names, but I guess SAM could have uploaded the data immediately to the Nexus so everyone there knows to use them...

But when they reach the Angaran home world, how the hell do they also know to call the Remnant that?

Also, whenever they give something a "cool" sounding name in this game like "RemTech", they back it up with a really awkward explanation of why that name was chosen. I guess it's the natural way these things would happen, but for some reason it just stands out as clunky here. Anyone else notice that?

They use translators, the first cutscene after you get Jaal, Ryder asks if the translator is working after he sits there in silence. My assumption is that their translators have their word for the robots, Remnants, and I guess it's advanced enough to pick up on whatever the Angaran word for the old machines is and added it..It would have been better if they used their word a couple of times before the translation kicked in. Like it did with 1 NPC who told Ryder his job title which didn't get translated and asked for an explanation.

The angaran language is automatically translated to the human language so you don't get to hear their word for remnant.

Tacitus_

You have to remember that all communication is done through translators. There are even a few places where you can ask about what an untranslated words means.

Zakalwe

Banned
I completely forgot about the translator thing. It would have been great if they had to listen to the language for a little while to allow the translators time to work it, but I guess their tech is that far advanced.

I really wish they took this into account a little more and made more effort to make it /feel/ natural. The advanced tech just makes it seem like "space magic" at times. I don't want everything over explained, but I think the writers could have found a middle ground here.

Akai__

How is that withholding content that is already in the game? At most they just don't let you have EVERYTHING unlocked at the same time in the same playthrough.

This would be like complaining that it's not possible to max out every single skill tree in a single playthrough. It's not withholding content.

If it's unlocked only via DLC, it would be. The way it is now, is just stupid design.

Top Bottom