• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect: Andromeda |OT| Ryders on the Storm

bati

BioWare's level designers and environmental artist is one of the best in the industry. I would gladly shake hands with each and everyone of them.

1403.gif

bati

So, I guess you're saying you think the environments in the game look bad? Or something?

Yeah, pretty much the worst level design I've seen in an AAA game in the last 5 years or so. I mean it would be passable if MEA was an MMO but it's not (evidence to the contrary be damned, lol). And I mean level design as a whole, from the flow, geometry, pathing, spacing and finally how it looks. There are some angles that make particular spots look nice but you can do that with pretty much every game.

Ralemont

not me
Say what you will about how BW decided to fill the levels, but the levels themselves look fantastic. I was especially impressed with Liam's loyalty mission and the trippy sideways design.

Anyone rocking a successful tech build?

Currently running engineer profile with max auto turret and then overload and incinerate as the other abilities im leveling. Wondering if I should be trying something else though.

Currently running engineer profile with max auto turret and then overload and incinerate as the other abilities im leveling. Wondering if I should be trying something else though.
You need to get your hands on the
Remnant VI
. Pairs incredibly well with a cold spec'd turret. Alternate between Overload and Incinerate depending on needs and boom.

bati

Say what you will about how BW decided to fill the levels, but the levels themselves look fantastic. I was especially impressed with Liam's loyalty mission and the trippy sideways design.

Honestly, everything looks the same to me. Very generic. I've done Cora's and Vetra's loyalty missions yesterday and was very disappointed with how the levels looked. Such a huge downgrade from ME2 which probably had the best levels in the entire trilogy.

I've had success with Incinerate, Cloak and ED (on Insanity) but haven't looked back since I've switched to Sentinel. Plus the armor for my current build looks better than the frog suit that comes with tech bonuses.

Ralemont

not me
Honestly, everything looks the same to me. Very generic. I've done Cora's and Vetra's loyalty missions yesterday and was very disappointed with how the levels looked. Such a huge downgrade from ME2 which probably had the best levels in the entire trilogy.

Eos is generic but every other world has looked great and felt unique.

And Cora's loyalty mission, really? With the spaced final section without sound? Memorable to me at least.

bati

And Cora's loyalty mission, really? With the spaced final section without sound? Memorable to me at least.

Only the last battle arena is somewhat memorable, and even that is because of the sound. The rest of the mission is a string of random hallfways and rooms put together. Not even remotely close to the Illium loyalty missions for example.

prag16

Banned
Yeah, pretty much the worst level design I've seen in an AAA game in the last 5 years or so. I mean it would be passable if MEA was an MMO but it's not (evidence to the contrary be damned, lol). And I mean level design as a whole, from the flow, geometry, pathing, spacing and finally how it looks. There are some angles that make particular spots look nice but you can do that with pretty much every game.

Wow. One of us needs glasses. Oh well, no harm done; agree to disagree.

(I'm talking more about the aesthetics than the functional flow, however I think the latter is fine for the most part while the former is about as good as I've ever seen in any game.)

Ralemont

not me
Only the last battle arena is somewhat memorable, and even that is because of the sound. The rest of the mission is a string of random hallfways and rooms put together. Not even remotely close to the Illium loyalty missions for example.

? How was Thane's loyalty mission not a string of hallways?

Mifune

Mehmber
Andromeda is one of the ugliest games I've played in a while, aesthetically speaking. Generic Halo-esque bases, bland worlds, funky (not in a good way) alien designs. It doesn't bother me too much because I'm enjoying the game but overall I find the art to be dreary.

LightInfa

Big question: Bioconverter (infinite ammo via health) or shield sensor (shield refill for every kill) as the special augment on a piranha?

exYle

Big question: Bioconverter (infinite ammo via health) or shield sensor (shield refill for every kill) as the special augment on a piranha?

Depends on how you plan to refill your health. If your answer is health packs, then definitely the shield sensor.

If your a tech user with the life support passive, Bioconverter.

If not, shield sensor.

Life support heals health everytime you use a tech ability, pretty much nulifying the health leech from bioconverter.

But without the passive, stay away from bioconverter, it will kill you.

MAX PAYMENT

Andromeda is one of the ugliest games I've played in a while, aesthetically speaking. Generic Halo-esque bases, bland worlds, funky (not in a good way) alien designs. It doesn't bother me too much because I'm enjoying the game but overall I find the art to be dreary.

I like the art.

I can never get tired of this explosion build.

giphy.gif

Need to find which class has the adept profile passive in multiplayer so I can make shit explode there too.

exYle

giphy.gif

Need to find which class has the adept profile passive in multiplayer so I can make shit explode there too.

I wonder why so many people put Charge in the middle of their abilities. For something used so often, I find it cumbersome to have to press both buttons each time. I have a similar build to yours but Annihilation is in the middle. It makes sense to me, because I only need to press both L1 and R1 at the start of a fight instead of every 8 seconds.

HvySky

Curious. About how far into the main storyline am I if I have 100% viability on Havald, Eos, and Voeld and just started working through Aya? I have about 20 hours clocked thus far.

Oops. I meant Kadara, not Aya.

Toa TAK

Banned
Okay. Is there a point of no return in this game or can I continue missions like outposts and loyalty after the fact?

Currently
about to strike Meridian.

DJ_Lae

I'm weirdly enjoying the game - weird because I can find fault with pretty much every single aspect of it, but I guess just being able to play more Mass Effect is lure enough.

I'm hoping there's some good payoff later on for what they're currently laying down (I've only finished the first couple of planets) but based on word of mouth that probably isn't going to happen. Still, the combat is fun enough and the characters are growing on me and I'm still getting some enjoyment out of the quests.

witness

I'm level 27 and am using a maxed overload, energy drain, and incinerate build along with a lot of passives. Shit is awesome because energy drain and incinerate are both primers and detonators. Not a fan of the turrets so much though. The tech armor looks like a horrid bug creature unfortunately, I fucking hate it but the rank IV versions do provide pretty substantial buffs. Might try to find something that's for sentinel that looks better.

I wonder why so many people put Charge in the middle of their abilities. For something used so often, I find it cumbersome to have to press both buttons each time. I have a similar build to yours but Annihilation is in the middle. It makes sense to me, because I only need to press both L1 and R1 at the start of a fight instead of every 8 seconds.

they do that because it matches some multiplayer class power layouts who have similar builds to your ryder. jumping back and forth between single player and multiplayer and using the same power on different buttons, I dont think I need to explain the type of confusion and mishaps one may get from that.

What skills are used in this build?

Annihilation + Charge + shockwave

Wow. One of us needs glasses. Oh well, no harm done; agree to disagree.

(I'm talking more about the aesthetics than the functional flow, however I think the latter is fine for the most part while the former is about as good as I've ever seen in any game.)
We disagree on a lot but yeah I'm 100% with you here. I love how the levels are constructed and the aesthetics of each world. It's so vibrant and unique.

X-Frame

For those who have beat the game, what Level were you when you finished?

Is Level 60 relatively easy to get with doing most side quests?

For those who have beat the game, what Level were you when you finished?

Is Level 60 relatively easy to get with doing most side quests?

I hit 59 on Insanity with 97% completion and about 79 hours of playtime. I probably could've hit 60 if I killed a lot more random enemies in the open world.

Eos and Voeld I didn't like, but Habitat 7, Havarl, Aya, Nexus/Hyperion/Tempest and Kadara are all fine.

And I like the Remnant aesthetic.

Kuldar

I love H-047c, there should be more planets like this with different gravity.

I think they should fix interstellar travel by allowing us to navigate the stellar map and sytem map without having to move if we have already visited the solar system. With this change we could select the planet where we want to go and only have a travel from planet to plant instead of plante to solar system to planet.

S

Steve.1981

Unconfirmed Member
Seriously now, if Bioware can just patch out SAM reminding me of stuff every 2 seconds and generally stabilise the game's performance... I'm done. I'm golden.

Setting. Story. Characters. Dialogue system. God-tier combat gameplay (the best in the series). Art design. Music. Quests (yeah, you read that). Exploration. Crafting... For me, it's hitting all the right notes.

There's a damn good game in here trying to get out from under the wonky faces and bugs. The further I go with it, the more I'm sure of that.

You must not play a lot of games...

Schlorgan

Okay. Is there a point of no return in this game or can I continue missions like outposts and loyalty after the fact?

Currently
about to strike Meridian.

There is a point of no return as in once you trigger the endgame, you're locked in until you complete it. You can go back and do other stuff once you've gotten through all of that.

Van Bur3n

This game and its quests just get buggier and buggier as I play. And all of the hassle of going through them seems to be for nothing considering how unfulfilling they are.

bati

The tech armor looks like a horrid bug creature unfortunately, I fucking hate it but the rank IV versions do provide pretty substantial buffs. Might try to find something that's for sentinel that looks better.

Heleus Defender suit is great, perfect stats for most builds (type of Power isn't specified, +DR and weapon damage on top). It's uh...purple though. Under some specific conditions you'll look like the pink power ranger. The chest area is also very prominent so my male Ryder sometimes looks like he has DDs. If you're not using any constructs I'd definitely recommend it over the Angara set.

prag16

Banned
Seriously now, if Bioware can just patch out SAM reminding me of stuff every 2 seconds and generally stabilise the game's performance... I'm done. I'm golden.

Setting. Story. Characters. Dialogue system. God-tier combat gameplay (the best in the series). Art design. Music. Quests (yeah, you read that). Exploration. Crafting... For me, it's hitting all the right notes.

There's a damn good game in here trying to get out from under the wonky faces and bugs. The further I go with it, the more I'm sure of that.

This is more or less where I'm at. In my opinion it's really not that far off from being a masterpiece. Just a whole bunch of flaws (albeit some very bad flaws) holding it down. As it is I'm ranking it an 8.5 or 9 out of 10, and it's running in first place for my 2017 game of the year as of now.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
Single player campaign finished with just over 70 hours on the clock. Overall I really enjoyed it but it has a host of flaws, some (well quite a few) technical and some design wise but it has, in a lot of ways, that ME1 adventure/exploration spirit I loved so much that I felt was missing in ME2/3. I love crafting weapons/armours etc with different augmentations, generally experimenting and enjoying the RPG systems in general. The combat is fucking excellent too and the best of the series.

I'd probably give it a 7/10, the multiplayer is another very strong point and is a lot of fun though I've been kind of neglecting it a bit until I've finished the single player. Despite it's issues, I enjoyed my time with it quite a bit. I especially love its more light hearted tone in comparison to the original 3 games as well.

arhra

Heleus Defender suit is great, perfect stats for most builds (type of Power isn't specified, +DR and weapon damage on top). It's uh...purple though. Under some specific conditions you'll look like the pink power ranger. The chest area is also very prominent so my male Ryder sometimes looks like he has DDs. If you're not using any constructs I'd definitely recommend it over the Angara set.

You can set custom armour colours in your quarters on the Tempest, if the purple isn't doing it for you. Although the Heleus Defender set doesn't work quite as well with that as you might hope, as it has an odd iridescent-esque shading on it that looks kinda weird with a lot of colours.

Starfield

Important question: Do squadmates eventually run out of dialog to chat with sqadmates or on the Tempest or is that just a bug that everyone including on the Tempest has gone quiet?

I've played quite a bit of the game already (60+hrs) so could it be that I literally ran out of random dialog or can it repeat?

is that a bug?

Schlorgan

This is more or less where I'm at. In my opinion it's really not that far off from being a masterpiece. Just a whole bunch of flaws (albeit some very bad flaws) holding it down. As it is I'm ranking it an 8.5 or 9 out of 10, and it's running in first place for my 2017 game of the year as of now.
I would give it an 8/10 now, I would give it an 8.5/10 with all of the stuff ironed out.

I like it a lot, but it's also my only game for the first half of the year, as I don't own a PS4 or a Switch and won't for a long time.

I've been getting more freezes in my game as I've been doing more side quests. Probably because they require so much travel to do them. It really makes you realize how poorly they manage the player's time when doing that.

Do stuff on Nexus, go back to your ship, watch cutscenes of your ship leaving, talk to someone on the ship, dock back on Nexus, watch cutscenes of the ship docking, do another thing on the Nexus, get back on ship, watch cutscenes of the ship leaving, fly to another system, slowly glide over to the planet you want, watch cutscene of the ship landing on planet, get out and do thing on planet, etc. etc. etc.

I hope the first patch is able to address some of that stuff, like letting you enter your ship without watching the takeoff cutscene everything, or speeding up the gliding over to planets within a system.

giphy.gif

I wish Shockwave had a longer range, I know it's good for close range builds, but I remember it being longer distance in ME3 (or ME2, I forget if it was in that game). I love that power, but I'm doing more of a longer range character so it's pretty much useless even if it's leveled up to go longer.

I've been sticking with Overload for shields and the fireball for armor and then I use Lance (I think it's called, the biotics grenade thingy) to make explosions. Pretty standard, but it works for me. I'll probably do a faster paced close quarters build with my next character (or maybe dabble in it with this one if I get to a high enough level).

Top Bottom