• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect: Andromeda |OT| Ryders on the Storm

Mifune

Mehmber
Spent about 5 hours tonight playing it and git to eos. As q huge mass effect fan the game is super rough on Base ps4. Really not enjoying my time with it and the reviews are bang on the money with all the complaints I've heard.

Facial animation is legit bad. I think if the writing wqs good I could look past the animation but as that's not the case, I'm just not getting attached or liking any of these characters.

I'll probably spend another night on it and if it still doesn't click I'm going to shelve it. Hopefully a few patches and some quality of life fixes will make it more bearable in a month or so.

I hated Eos with the fury of a thousand suns. But I found it got much better after that. Can't promise you will feel the same way, of course, but it might be worth it to stick it out to see if you like the Nexus/Tempest stuff. Those quieter moments saved the game for me (for now anyway).

hydruxo

Spent about 5 hours tonight playing it and git to eos. As q huge mass effect fan the game is super rough on Base ps4. Really not enjoying my time with it and the reviews are bang on the money with all the complaints I've heard.

Facial animation is legit bad. I think if the writing wqs good I could look past the animation but as that's not the case, I'm just not getting attached or liking any of these characters.

I'll probably spend another night on it and if it still doesn't click I'm going to shelve it. Hopefully a few patches and some quality of life fixes will make it more bearable in a month or so.

Yeah keep playing, Eos is really terrible. I couldn't stand it but the game does get better.

Meowster

I'm enjoying it so far in hour or so in. Pretty happy with how I designed the twins. Reminds me a lot of the first Mass Effect.

Starfield

I swear to god kinguin has the best customer support ever.

I opened a live chat with customer support just because I wanted to know when my pre-order key gets delivered. Not 1 sec after I click on start chat I immidiately get into a chat with an admin from the site. He then tells me it will take about 2-3 hours until my pre-order key gets delivered....but here comes the best part, he told me could refund my purchase and get an instant-delivery key right now. So I obliged and 2mins later the full money was refunded to my account balance and I was able to get a even cheaper key than before.

However I still had to wait for my order to process but suddenly the admin writes in chat that he will fasten up the process and 10secs later...done. Got the key.

Sometimes I think there is still good in the world.

X-Frame

So what has everyone used their Research data for so far?

I've been saving mine because I am not sure what to research or develop. There are so many options that I'm somewhat overwhelmed.

hbkdx12

As much as im enjoying the game from a gameplay aspect, I'm really left scratching my head at the design philosophy, or lack thereof, of things in the game, namely the squadmates.

The fact that the whole Andromeda Initiative is mostly motivated by "just because....reasons" as oppose to what a lot of people saw as the obvious attempt at being a sort of back up plan for the reaper invasion of the Milky Way Galaxy is weird but i understand why they didn't go with that as they wanted this whole thing to feel new so if the crux of the whole plot is to side step the reaper invasion then at some point you're going to have to address that somewhere down the line.

That being said, in an attempt to make good on this whole "new" feeling and perspective, why the fuck are the squadmates direct carbon copies of their trilogy counterparts?

• Garrus was a principled and professional Turian? Great so is Vetra
  • Wrex was an action junkie Krogan who loved to get his hands dirty? Great so is Drack
  • Liara was a mildly socially awkward Asari researcher. Great! PeeBee is a socially awkard Asari but rather than focus on her intellect, we'll make her carefree and noncommittal. Progress!

At this point i figured maybe I was being too harsh. After all, the alien races have distinct traits that they share. The turians are from palaven and are very militaristic so it would make sense Garrus and Vetra are principled professionals. Krogans by design were bred to be formidable soldiers so it would make sense Wrex and Drack are aggressive and have that "boots on the ground" mentality. Ok, well what about the humans....

• Jacob was a black male military brat who was motivated by his sense of duty. Liam is a black male cop who got recognized for his efforts and sense of duty in his HUSTL crisis response unit
  • Miranda was a white professional guarded female who felt betrayed by her father that led to her feeling conflicted and outcasted due to her biotic powers.
  • Cora is a white professional guarded female who feels betrayed by Alec Ryder who she looked up to and admired because he inspired her when she felt conflicted and outcasted due her biotic powers and feels nepotism got in the way of her being classed as the next pathfinder.
  • Suvi is basically a palette swap of Chambers

HOW DOES THIS HAPPEN?!
It's remarkable that they didn't make Kallo a fast talking scientist.

Surely they HAD to have known that people were going to compare this game to the trilogy. They had to. So what the hell is with this lazy coat of paint? I thought this was suppose to be new and fresh? Why do we only have ONE new alien race? Makes no sense. All or at least most of our squad mates should be new races and if somehow you can't do that DON'T make poor 1:1 copies of beloved characters from the trilogy.

It also doesn't help that all the characters feel like adolescents. I feel like the trilogy is "Scooby Do, Where are you?" and Andromeda is "A Pup named Scooby Doo"

The potential is there and that's what makes it so frustrating. They kept pushing this "I'ts completely new" narrative in the marketing and lead up to release but at the same time it feels like they're playing it too safe and as a result completely fuck up both the new and the old.

bgXG4jt.jpg

I remember using a helmet on non oxigen esque scenarios which is fine because that makes sense unless I am missing Eos is breathable and the game just trolled me putting a helmet on my ryder only because reasons

The game defaults to Ryder being helmet-less in conversations but defaults to having a helmet equipped overall. That's different than the trilogy. You can change it in the options.

The game doesn't auto-equip helmets on/off overall depending on environment because you are probably going to want to have a helmet equipped even in breathable atmosphere due to the stat bonuses you get from them.

A helmet toggle based on the atmospheric conditions would have been cool but I'm not surprised that it isn't included.

DeaDPo0L84

So they should just chuck this Andromeda thing out the door and start with an actual new trilogy?

Nope,game is nowhere near as bad as people are exclaiming. Does a lot right and maybe equally wrong but 20 hours in I am really enjoying myself. I enjoyed the og trilogy but i am quite enjoying this new crew and story.

Madness

So they should just chuck this Andromeda thing out the door and start with an actual new trilogy?

Not necessarily. But I do wish there is an eventual return to the Milky Way. Earth, Thessia, Palaven, Tuchanka, Rannoch, Surr'Kesh, so many planets with history for the races of the galaxy. 20k randoms from 3 races each in a far off galaxy just doesn't have the same hook. Especially 600+ years after the events of the OT.

I still want an Andromeda trilogy to continue this storyline. But the hope is a return to the Milky Way, there was still a lot that could be done with competent writing.

Bytes

There's something wrong between this game and Origin. Every time I close the game and restart, my save game and my settings are all gone, as if I were booting the game up for the first time (you can imagine my frustration of losing the first 3 hours of progress).

I finally turned off cloud saving in Origin and it seems to work now. Strangely, I never had a problem with cloud saves on any other Origin game.

I mean nothing says they HAVE to keep going with these characters. I'm sure it will stay in the Andromeda Galaxy, but getting out of the Helius Cluster into the Galaxy at large using some new stand-in for the Relays. The potential for the setting remains, even if this first step was bungled to high heaven.

Not necessarily. But I do wish there is an eventual return to the Milky Way. Earth, Thessia, Palaven, Tuchanka, Rannoch, Surr'Kesh, so many planets with history for the races of the galaxy. 20k randoms from 3 races each in a far off galaxy just doesn't have the same hook. Especially 600+ years after the events of the OT.

I still want an Andromeda trilogy to continue this storyline. But the hope is a return to the Milky Way, there was still a lot that could be done with competent writing.

Milky Way is done forever, unless they do a prequel. ME3's ending was too final, too all encompassing, and too divergent to ever return and make any sense of it.

Ran into my first batch of Outlaws/Exiles/whatever in multi. Fuckers are brutal.

Basic types had me thinking they were just Kett Again, then they introduced the sharpshooters... and the Salarians... and the Krogan... and the Hydra... and the Adept... how many enemy types does a faction need seriously. There's at least one I'm forgetting. They swarmed us and put my team down in the extraction round.

I love it.

Madness

I mean nothing says they HAVE to keep going with these characters. I'm sure it will stay in the Andromeda Galaxy, but getting out of the Helius Cluster into the Galaxy at large using some new stand-in for the Relays. The potential for the setting remains, even if this first step was bungled to high heaven.

Milky Way is done forever, unless they do a prequel. ME3's ending was too final, too all encompassing, and too divergent to ever return and make any sense of it.

Shepard chose Destroy, the starchild was just lying and trying to indoctrinate him into allowing them to survive somehow. The crucible only affected the Reaper sovereign ships and the mass relays and citadel, the Geth were shielded somehow, and EDI escaped etc. Bam. You have a galaxy devoid of whatever the Reaper garbage storyline was, the races rebuild Citadel 2, but politics catch up, some other enemy comes in, etc. Where there is a will, there is a way to explain anything.

Played through the original trilogy twice once as a vanguard and then as an infiltrator. Loved them both.

Which should I go with here? 7-8 hrs in as an infiltrator and thinking bout respeccing.

Jumeira

Banned
As much as im enjoying the game from a gameplay aspect, I'm really left scratching my head at the design philosophy, or lack thereof, of things in the game, namely the squadmates.

The fact that the whole Andromeda Initiative is mostly motivated by "just because....reasons" as oppose to what a lot of people saw as the obvious attempt at being a sort of back up plan for the reaper invasion of the Milky Way Galaxy is weird but i understand why they didn't go with that as they wanted this whole thing to feel new so if the crux of the whole plot is to side step the reaper invasion then at some point you're going to have to address that somewhere down the line.

That being said, in an attempt to make good on this whole "new" feeling and perspective, why the fuck are the squadmates direct carbon copies of their trilogy counterparts?

• Wrex was an action junkie Krogan who loved to get his hands dirty? Great so is Drack
  • Liara was a mildly socially awkward Asari researcher. Great! PeeBee is a socially awkard Asari but rather than focus on her intellect, we'll make her carefree and noncommittal. Progress!

At this point i figured maybe I was being too harsh. After all, the alien races have distinct traits that they share. The turians are from palaven and are very militaristic so it would make sense Garrus and Vetra are principled professionals. Krogans by design were bred to be formidable soldiers so it would make sense Wrex and Drack are aggressive and have that "boots on the ground" mentality. Ok, well what about the humans....

• Jacob was a black male military brat who was motivated by his sense of duty. Liam is a black male cop who got recognized for his efforts and sense of duty in his HUSTL crisis response unit
  • Miranda was a white professional guarded female who felt betrayed by her father that led to her feeling conflicted and outcasted due to her biotic powers.
  • Cora is a white professional guarded female who feels betrayed by Alec Ryder who she looked up to and admired because he inspired her when she felt conflicted and outcasted due her biotic powers and feels nepotism got in the way of her being classed as the next pathfinder.

HOW DOES THIS HAPPEN?!

Surely they HAD to have known that people were going to compare this game to the trilogy. They had to. So what the hell is with this lazy coat of paint? I thought this was suppose to be new and fresh? Why do we only have ONE new alien race? Makes no sense. All or at least most of our squad mates should be new races and if somehow you can't do that DON'T make poor 1:1 copies of beloved characters from the trilogy.

It also doesn't help that all the characters feel like adolescents. I feel like the trilogy is "Scooby Do, Where are you?" and Andromeda is "A Pup named Scooby Doo"

The potential is there and that's what makes it so frustrating. They kept pushing this "I'ts completely new" narrative in the marketing and lead up to release but at the same time it feels like they're playing it too safe and as a result completely fuck up both the new and the old.

Your just as passionate as I regarding ME and it's universe, great breakdown of questions that will not be answered because BioWare screwed up so badly and we all know it. Entirely new galaxy and barely any new species ? And the few they introduce look inconsistent next to the brilliance of the varied alien design of the original! I started asking the same questions prior to the game's release but I shelved my concerns until after the game releases, low and behold BioWare created a new game in an uncharted part of space with the same damn aliens! One of the most fascinating aspects from ME were there aliens and thier background, thier history, political affiliation and what they're biologically equipped with that makes them distinct. Barely any of that here! Such a slap in the face of old ME fans, I had so much hope for this game and it still stings.

Just have it set a few centuries later (which is where we are now anyway) after the big collapse, new cultures rise out of being isolated from each other, whole new technologies etc, Hyperion Cantos style.

Madness

What was Mac Walters talking about when he said the only thing we could pick was our Shepard gender? Must've missed it because I quick started? Or not at that point yet?

sangreal

So what has everyone used their Research data for so far?

I've been saving mine because I am not sure what to research or develop. There are so many options that I'm somewhat overwhelmed.

I was paralyzed by the research and development system for awhile but eventually I built a tricked out valkyrie iv AR. I added auto-aim, extra mod slots, shield regen when ammo clip runs out and I forget what else. Works great for me

also the upgrades for your car are cheap and pretty good

RAIDEN1

As a big fan of the series there is a point where you wonder how long to hold off for until they bring out the patch to make the game more stable, and less crash-prone, but how long will that be? Already been a long 5 year wait...and now it is here you'd rather have the game when it's all patched up...another 6 months? 6 weeks?

Lt-47

What was Mac Walters talking about when he said the only thing we could pick was our Shepard gender? Must've missed it because I quick started? Or not at that point yet?

You missed it. It's in the character creator.

As a big fan of the series there is a point where you wonder how long to hold off for until they bring out the patch to make the game more stable, and less crash-prone, but how long will that be? Already been a long 5 year wait...and now it is here you'd rather have the game when it's all patched up...another 6 months? 6 weeks?

Hard to say. It took 5 months for CDProjeckt to fixes most bugs and make the Witcher 3 not run like shit on console...

I started single player it's actually really good and the animations don't really bother me but Cora's gorilla walk is never gonna get old. What are you guys favorite guns? I like the Sidewinder.

Mass Effect: Hey you can bang anyone on your crew
Me: Yeah BUT what if I banged them all
Mass Effect: You get Persona 4 Golden'd
Me: OH NO

HOW DOES THIS HAPPEN?!

Sigh... why is this so true. I'm not the type to add to the dogpile or share memes but I knew something was wrong when people were leaving the studio last year. Still sucks it turned out the way it did, but the writing has been on the wall for a while unfortunately

Lt-47

But if you quick start, it just starts you off as default waking up etc. That would be stupid if they just assign Manshep or Femshep without me actually choosing.

It's called quick start for a reason. They don't let you choose you starting skill either. I think it worked the same way in previous games

Zesh

Played through the original trilogy twice once as a vanguard and then as an infiltrator. Loved them both.

Which should I go with here? 7-8 hrs in as an infiltrator and thinking bout respeccing.

I haven't tried Infiltrator yet in Andromeda, but Vanguard is still great. It's worth trying, at any rate.

hydruxo

But if you quick start, it just starts you off as default waking up etc. That would be stupid if they just assign Manshep or Femshep without me actually choosing.

I remember there being a Quick Start option for both Fem Ryder and Male Ryder though. They do let you pick. Idk what background they give you if you quickstart.

Anyone know of there's something wrong with the PS4 pro version? Lighting, texture streaming is pretty bad, especially on transition screens and cutscenes. The game frequently is choppy into the low 20's. Textures on clothing especially are often really bad. The character models look sub Mass effect 3. Is this the same for all PS4 users? I'm really starting to regret playing this on my Pro. I had a PC copy when it was $35 but my friends on PS4 battered me down so I sold it.

Yeah, I notice this as well in terms of the choppy performance on Pro. I'm on a 1080p TV as well, so there should not be a lot of resources being used compared to 4k sets.

So far, I'm mixed on this game so far. I'm loving the jetpack and the side thrust with it. What's the average length of the game?

nOoblet16

While it's an entirely new galaxy, remember that

1) They are in just one small cluster
2) Andromeda has nothing like Mass Relays to make galaxy wide travel feasible
3) It was also sort of hinted that Andromeda is comparitively kind of empty and is more "wild"
4) The Angarans are hermits and would likely stay far away from everyone as possible meaning their cluster is largely empty as well
5) Even if they wanted to go around galaxy making contact, they can't because of their story

Considering all this it makes sense that you aren't bumping across new races like you did in previous games...there is no galaxy wide economic juggernaut of a society here to be seen here nor a means of transport to facilitate that. But even within this one cluster itself you have Angarans, Kett, Remenants and various wildlife...I'd say it's pretty sensible in the context of the story.

Madness

I remember there being a Quick Start option for both Fem Ryder and Male Ryder though. They do let you pick. Idk what background they give you if you quickstart.

In ME2 and ME3 you could import your character and then do default look. Here, they let you do default but not let you choose.

It's called quick start for a reason. They don't let you choose you starting skill either. I think it worked the same way in previous games

Default is that you play how they designed the characters. Which is why they're called Scott and Sara in cinematics etc. Their default is Soldier etc. But like above, ME2 and ME3 allowed you to import save and choose default, or play default and choose the key events etc. This just seems like more oversight. I mean I understand not letting me choose anything about the Ryder's but come on, why would you think I would default over who Shepard was?

Garrus=Vetra seems like a Gumby level stretch tbh
And I haven't played much but Peebee doesn't remind me of Liara whatsoever

Yeah. Vetra=Garrus and PeeBee=Liara are basically super top-level readings. "Turian Badass" and "Asari Archaeologist" is not all there is to the characters. Drack I'll give 'em, but Krogan were always kind of one-note, with a few notable exceptions. The rest... nah, son.

Trickster

*sigh* Game is starting to give me trouble with loading after I die it seems. Twice now the game just gets stuck in the loading screen forever

X-Frame

I was paralyzed by the research and development system for awhile but eventually I built a tricked out valkyrie iv AR. I added auto-aim, extra mod slots, shield regen when ammo clip runs out and I forget what else. Works great for me

also the upgrades for your car are cheap and pretty good

That's awesome to hear. There is so many options and builds I can't wait to see what the community comes up with soon.

I'm running Infiltrator first and never really liked sniping, but I loved my Shotgun Infiltrator build in ME3.

I need to find out if the Claymore and Wraith are in this game actually ..

JMY86

Jaal, Cora and Vetra are pretty much my favorite characters so far. All the others are meh.

I have to start using Jaal more I really like his character buy never seem to take him with me. Cora is my girl we used to make beautiful biotic combo music together but seeing as I am a biotic god now I haven't been using her as much since I am romancing her. Vetra has really grown on me and I have been using her quite a bit now and she has some really funny dialogue on her first loyalty quest.

I've never played a game I've enjoyed (so far) that does more to be oft-putting so early on than this one. The more I play and get the flow and identity of the game, the more I like it.

I think the opening hour or so is genuinely bad and the narrative of this game is so different than the OT it took me a long time to wrap my head around it. Now that I have I actually really like it and respect some of the hard right turns they've made to divorce it from the original series while also remaining familiar.

Top Bottom