• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect: Andromeda |OT| Ryders on the Storm

nOoblet16

Some early spoilers :
http://i.imgur.com/CITR4ky.png

I think I'm gonna like Drack lol. Never been disappointed in Krogan squadmates so far.
Lmao that's great.

Yea Drack is good, his grandpa personality is nice. It's also kind of great to see how anytime you visit Nexus he'll go see his granddaughter. Infact this is one of the things I like about the game, the shipmates will all be doing things that you would expect them to do when on shore. So Liam being the alcoholic he is will always be in a bar, Jaal will always find himself at some history place while Peebee will be around museums. Sometimes they'll go to places together and have chats, same when inside the ship...they are always moving and talking on their own instead of standing in one fixed location forever like a rock waiting for you to come and speak to them.

sangreal

As much as im enjoying the game from a gameplay aspect, I'm really left scratching my head at the design philosophy, or lack thereof, of things in the game, namely the squadmates.

The fact that the whole Andromeda Initiative is mostly motivated by "just because....reasons" as oppose to what a lot of people saw as the obvious attempt at being a sort of back up plan for the reaper invasion of the Milky Way Galaxy is weird but i understand why they didn't go with that as they wanted this whole thing to feel new so if the crux of the whole plot is to side step the reaper invasion then at some point you're going to have to address that somewhere down the line.

That being said, in an attempt to make good on this whole "new" feeling and perspective, why the fuck are the squadmates direct carbon copies of their trilogy counterparts?

• Garrus was a principled and professional Turian? Great so is Vetra
  • Wrex was an action junkie Krogan who loved to get his hands dirty? Great so is Drack
  • Liara was a mildly socially awkward Asari researcher. Great! PeeBee is a socially awkard Asari but rather than focus on her intellect, we'll make her carefree and noncommittal. Progress!

At this point i figured maybe I was being too harsh. After all, the alien races have distinct traits that they share. The turians are from palaven and are very militaristic so it would make sense Garrus and Vetra are principled professionals. Krogans by design were bred to be formidable soldiers so it would make sense Wrex and Drack are aggressive and have that "boots on the ground" mentality. Ok, well what about the humans....

• Jacob was a black male military brat who was motivated by his sense of duty. Liam is a black male cop who got recognized for his efforts and sense of duty in his HUSTL crisis response unit
  • Miranda was a white professional guarded female who felt betrayed by her father that led to her feeling conflicted and outcasted due to her biotic powers.
  • Cora is a white professional guarded female who feels betrayed by Alec Ryder who she looked up to and admired because he inspired her when she felt conflicted and outcasted due her biotic powers and feels nepotism got in the way of her being classed as the next pathfinder.
  • Suvi is basically a palette swap of Chambers

HOW DOES THIS HAPPEN?!
It's remarkable that they didn't make Kallo a fast talking scientist.

Surely they HAD to have known that people were going to compare this game to the trilogy. They had to. So what the hell is with this lazy coat of paint? I thought this was suppose to be new and fresh? Why do we only have ONE new alien race? Makes no sense. All or at least most of our squad mates should be new races and if somehow you can't do that DON'T make poor 1:1 copies of beloved characters from the trilogy.

It also doesn't help that all the characters feel like adolescents. I feel like the trilogy is "Scooby Do, Where are you?" and Andromeda is "A Pup named Scooby Doo"

The potential is there and that's what makes it so frustrating. They kept pushing this "I'ts completely new" narrative in the marketing and lead up to release but at the same time it feels like they're playing it too safe and as a result completely fuck up both the new and the old.

Don't forget EDI and SAM. It's basically Star Trek Voyager.

Even the ship is a copy of the Normandy, which is kind of funny because you're pretending this 600-year-old design is state of the art.

None of this really bothers me though. The characters are more interesting than their prior incarnations. Every member of a species acting the same at a high level somewhat comes with the genre

I have to start using Jaal more I really like his character buy never seem to take him with me. Cora is my girl we used to make beautiful biotic combo music together but seeing as I am a biotic god now I haven't been using her as much since I am romancing her. Vetra has really grown on me and I have been using her quite a bit now and she has some really funny dialogue on her first loyalty quest.

Oh? Does the game have multiple loyalty missions for each character?

That feel when the game freezes after you beat the Trail of Hope:
cardinal
fight on Insanity and you have to do it again.

2RtSB37im9ffa.gif

Dingobloo

Neo Member
I think the opening hour or so is genuinely bad

I quite like the opening, it seems to have the polish that the rest of the game lacks almost all the way up to when you get to the nexus where you start seeing "tired face" Addison and the low-production value side quests start hitting. Not sure what people are finding so off-putting in the first hour.

Grisby

Not at home right now, but when I get back I'm heading back to the Nexus to try out some of those apex/alpha strike missions.

Does the game just take you to the MP lobby and bring you back to SP after you finish a mission?
instant resume not working for anybody else on x1?
I heard on the Bombcast that when you come back all you have is control of the camera? Sounds like it has issues with suspend/resume.

Despite the ugly faces and animations, I just bought this on XBL for $100 AUD. Couldnt resist the lure of the multiplayer. Hope its as good as ME3.

I've never played a game I've enjoyed (so far) that does more to be oft-putting so early on than this one. The more I play and get the flow and identity of the game, the more I like it.

I think the opening hour or so is genuinely bad and the narrative of this game is so different than the OT it took me a long time to wrap my head around it. Now that I have I actually really like it and respect some of the hard right turns they've made to divorce it from the original series while also remaining familiar.

completely agree. &, what with all the other of the game's shortcomings, it really didn't need this. the environment was grim & ugly, the encounters were spastic & just irritating, & it lasted longer than it needed to. the good news?: things improve immediately on completing it. the bad news?: it's hard to imagine how bad the game'd be if that wasn't so :) ...

nOoblet16

Don't forget EDI and SAM. It's basically Star Trek Voyager.

Even the ship is a copy of the Normandy, which is kind of funny because you're pretending this 600-year-old design is state of the art.

None of this really bothers me though. The characters are more interesting than their prior incarnations. Every member of a species acting the same at a high level somewhat comes with the genre
They are not pretending, it IS state of the art...for Andromeda. The Milky Way tech being 600 years newer doesn't mean anything. That's like saying nothing in Milky Way could have been state of the art since the Reapers had superior technology. For the people in Milky Way it's been 600+ years of advancements but for the people in Andromeda it's been like a few days/weeks since they left Milky Way. It's all about point of reference.

Imo it was a really clever way to make an entirely new start but have the same level of technology seen in previous game.

Always make duplicate saves for these kind of games, whether BioWare or Bethesda you can't trust them.

There's quite a lot of autosaves, try loading from one of them
I have tried loading all my manuel saves and only one 5 hours back is working. Gonna just sit on this loading screen for ten minutes and see if it fixes itself.

nOoblet16

I suppose it is just one long loyalty mission but they have multiple steps on different planets so tomato/tomato I guess.

These both work for me on my KS8000. I am currently using YCbCr422 and 10bpc. The game really is stunning with the HDR.
The loyalty missions are specifically marked as "Loyalty Mission" in yellow text inside the Allies and Relationship list. The missions that just have the squadmate's name on it aren't loyalty missions really.

Surfheart

Was going to pick this up today, but reports of bad performance and technical issues on the PS4 pro have put me right off it. Is it really that bad?

lumzi23

I haven't played any of the console beauties of this gen but this game is the best looking game I have ever played. Finally unlocked the full game two hours ago. Lovely looking. Also the combat is pretty great though I haven't gotten a full hang of it yet.

Below are minor spoiler for those not yet playing and want to go in pitch black/blind.

I get where the story complaints come from thus far, yeesh. Hope it gets better. Gamespot seemed to say that the problem wasn't the major plot but the execution.

JMY86

The loyalty missions are specifically marked as "Loyalty Mission" in yellow text inside the Allies and Relationship list. The missions that just have the squadmate's name on it aren't loyalty missions really.

Ahhh ok I didn't notice that before. I am playing the Vetra mission now and it says loyalty mission so I guess they maybe do not all have multiple steps.

Trickster

Okay I need to get this off my chest after being about 30 hours in. So far, my main complaint is definitely the open world exploration. The worlds are beautiful and vast, but hardly anything feels exicting or rewarding to find. It's definitely got that DA:I feeling to it, which is not a good thing in any way.

The worlds are full of Kett and Remnant camps and structures. But these all are little more than places for you to fight some Kett or Remnant, gather some minerals or open random chest or two.

Even the bigger remnant structures that are actually marked on the maps as points of interest, are no different than all the small unmarked camps and structures. It's litterally the same case of "go there, kill some fodder enemies, loot a chest with some random crap in it and move on".

What's worse is that sometimes it feels like the game actively sets you up for dissapointment. What prompted me to post about this now is that I found what looked like a small abandoned structures, very small nothing you'd really expect anything from. But then Ryder goes "what's this" in this way that would normally be a clear case of "oh shit I found something". Well, what I found was a scannable container with zero kind of followup, litterally just a random fucking container.

I quite like the opening, it seems to have the polish that the rest of the game lacks almost all the way up to when you get to the nexus where you start seeing "tired face" Addison and the low-production value side quests start hitting. Not sure what people are finding so off-putting in the first hour.
Everything is super abrupt. I'm supposed to embody this character and I know literally nothing about them. Since I'm not initially an authority figure it's all pretty awkward. Everyone talks to you very matter of fact-ly when there's no frame of reference. The way ME1 eases you in to that world is much better.

The big villain reveal is awful and super out of place/bad for a game that is releasing in 2017. I audibly groaned during it.

hbkdx12

Your just as passionate as I regarding ME and it's universe, great breakdown of questions that will not be answered because BioWare screwed up so badly and we all know it. Entirely new galaxy and barely any new species ? And the few they introduce look inconsistent next to the brilliance of the varied alien design of the original! I started asking the same questions prior to the game's release but I shelved my concerns until after the game releases, low and behold BioWare created a new game in an uncharted part of space with the same damn aliens! One of the most fascinating aspects from ME were there aliens and thier background, thier history, political affiliation and what they're biologically equipped with that makes them distinct. Barely any of that here! Such a slap in the face of old ME fans, I had so much hope for this game and it still stings.
Thats what makes it so hard to swallow. The potential is clearly there for this to feel like Mass Effect without being handcuffed by what came before in Mass Effect. They basically emphasized that this was their philosophy but it doesn't seem to be showing. Again, I'm still having a good time and having fun but the squadmates and lack of new alien races leaves a lot to be desired

Sigh... why is this so true. I'm not the type to add to the dogpile or share memes but I knew something was wrong when people were leaving the studio last year. Still sucks it turned out the way it did, but the writing has been on the wall for a while unfortunately
Believe me, i'm with you. I'm trying to add to the dogpile the game has gotten. I'm just peeved at how hard they pushed that things were going to be so new and fresh yet the squad feels like a big rehash

Garrus=Vetra seems like a Gumby level stretch tbh
And I haven't played much but Peebee doesn't remind me of Liara whatsoever

Yeah. Vetra=Garrus and PeeBee=Liara are basically super top-level readings. "Turian Badass" and "Asari Archaeologist" is not all there is to the characters. Drack I'll give 'em, but Krogan were always kind of one-note, with a few notable exceptions. The rest... nah, son.
I'm not suggesting that they wont develop over the course of the game (I would certainly hope they do) but considering how the dev team heavily emphasized how new Andromeda was and this was going to be it's own thing, the fact that there's even that many comparables, even on a surface level is still disappointing.

The only similarities I've noticed between Garrus and Vetra and Peebee and Kiara so far are their races and that PeeBee is a scientist.

That's it.

completely agree. &, what with all the other of the game's shortcomings, it really didn't need this. the environment was grim & ugly, the encounters were spastic & just irritating, & it lasted longer than it needed to. the good news?: things improve immediately on completing it. the bad news?: it's hard to imagine how bad the game'd be if that wasn't so :) ...
Yeah good call on the opening planet. Easily the worst looking place I've been to so far. It's just so bleh. I get why it needed to be for story reasons but your first big mission with a bunch of build up is to this really dull and uninteresting area. It doesn't put its best foot forward.

I'm sure the overall altruistic and pioneering nature of this game won't jive with everyone but I really enjoy it and the pace the game plays at makes sense for the story being told. It's nice not being Shepherd in this environment IMO as much as I love that character.
The only similarities I've noticed between Garrus and Vetra and Peebee and Kiara so far are their races and that PeeBee is a scientist.

That's it.
Some real surface level comparisons being made to denigrate the game. It says more about the person who can't let the OT go when playing this game more than it does about the actual game.

I'm actually surprised at how restrained and the lack of fan service this game has shown so far. It clearly wants and is its own thing.

CLBridges

Krogan Warlord back! The dev team probably won't have any issues churning out MP characters, so many builds they can take from ME3MP and make some tweaks for Andromeda. I'm really digging the Krogan engineer ATM.

drac96

Is anyone else having video issues when playing on the PS4 pro? It's happened twice, but during conversations when I selected a new dialogue choice the screen cut to black immiditaley. After a few seconds it came back, but this is a really odd thing.

dEvAnGeL

Well, i just found an NPC that's voiced i believe bu the same VA that did Liara on the trilogy lol, if it's not than they sound exactly the same

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
the opening hour is so bad. the story, the pacing, the cheesy dialogue, the gameplay. ugh. i'm getting flashbacks to killzone shadowfall.

hbkdx12

That's it.
Lets say we agree to disagree, is there any less merit to anything else i pointed out? I'm even willing to concede that the aliens aren't even open for comparison being that they exhibit traits that in theory would make aliens of the same race congruous but as humans that doesn't explain why liam mirrors jacob and cora mirrors miranda.

Some real surface level comparisons being made to denigrate the game. It says more about the person who can't let the OT go when playing this game more than it does about the actual game.

I'm actually surprised at how restrained and the lack of fan service this game has shown so far. It clearly wants and is its own thing.

Why would my critique of the game and the things that stood out to me need to be considered denigration? Even if you believe my argument holds no weight, what about it is unfair?

DOWN

Banned
Is it me or is this one of the best looking RPGs out? It's not Horizon, but is there anything else I'm forgetting?

Man I don't know about this game. I just did the whole "murder mystery" quest line which involves way too many loading screens and running around and at the very end, when I made my final decision what to do with the prisoner (exile him), the quest line just ended abruptly and I got nothing for it.

Was the story supposed to be the reward? Because it wasn't even close to being worth it.

Why does Jaal constantly say "One less to worry about!" like Garrus? Why Bioware? And he says it as frequently. You can make little references to the old stuff but when so much of this game feels like a straight to DVD version of the OT, why accentuate that with a character constantly saying something from the old games. Ugh.

Top Bottom