• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect |OT| Alien love in an elevator

Gattsu25

Banned
ChrisGoldstein said:
Any tips on getting the romance achievements?

Im terrible with chicks in the digital domain as well

LOL
I thought there was only one achievement for that. Basically, go after the Asari and be as passive as possible with your responses to her.

Deacan

9/10 NeoGAFfers don't understand statistics. The other 3/10 don't care.
ChrisGoldstein said:

LOL

Don't be an arsehole when talking to them, seems to work well ;)

Red

BruceLeeRoy said:
Yes!
Just got the game for $15 what a ridiculous steal.
Cant wait to start.
Same here. Nabbed this and Condemned 2 for $15 from the Blockbuster sale.

So far not totally grabbing me; I'm a little lost as to how to control it all. There doesn't really seem to be a great tutorial system. I'm only about an hour in, though, so we'll see.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
ChrisGoldstein said:

LOL

Blue alien babe requires zero courting. Just nod your head "yes" to everything she says and she'll give in.

segarr

ChrisGoldstein said:

LOL

For Liara, just pick the obvious dialogue. She wants your nuts, and basically comes out and tells you that she is obsessed with Shephard. She even does the whole "I'm a virgin" routine....:D

Ashley is a little bit more difficult, there is a few dialogue options that seem nice, but she calls you out of them because they are corny. Still, it's not difficult by any means. One thing you need to be careful about though is if you think you are going to play both sides, you can't, Ashley will stop trying to have a relationship with you once you get involved with Liara. Shut Liara down early (Once again, it's the most obvious dialogue option) and you'll be alright with Ashley.

I went into the game very interested in the Alien relationship with Liara, but honestly, she's a tad bit too boring, and too easy. Ashley is the more interesting character, and I find that her conversations were a lot deeper as well. Liara gives you a bunch of information about the Asari, Ashley tells you about herself and her family.

segarr

Kyoufu said:
Ashley is a racist though, so she gets killed at the nuke every single time. :)
The second time you go to the citadel, when you run into the Terra Firma guys
, if you are with Ashley, she sticks up for the Aliens.

She is somewhat hateful, but in retrospect, thats the reason she's now my favorite character (personality wise). Ashley is probably the most realistic character in the game.

Kyoufu

Gattsu25 said:
Was she? Are you taking about her animosity toward aliens?

Yeah. She is a bitch.

segarr said:

She is somewhat hateful, but in retrospect, thats the reason she's now my favorite character (personality wise). Ashley is probably the most realistic character in the game.

Wow didn't know that. Might have to keep her on my sentinel playthrough...

she is still a bitch though

Gattsu25

Banned
segarr said:

That's how I looked at it as well.

Danielsan

I finally beat the game this week.
I had already put 12 hours in and I previously called it Meh-effect.
However last week I decided to replay it from the start and man did I enjoy it this time.
The game has a lot of technical problems but other than that it's fantastic, can't wait for the sequel
Dead Space engine please

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Boy how I hated Ashley. She had her qualities, but too much of her dialogue and personality gave off the ‘ignorant bitch’ vibe. A dumb grunt who thinks she knows more than she actually does.

Danielsan

EatChildren said:
Boy how I hated Ashley. She had her qualities, but too much of her dialogue and personality gave off the ‘ignorant bitch’ vibe. A dumb grunt who thinks she knows more than she actually does.
In my game she shot Wrex and she seemed to enjoy it as well
needless to say I was happy to get rid of her.

Truant

EatChildren said:

The way she changes during the course of the game if you make the right choices makes her one of the more nuances characters in the game.

EatChildren

Truant said:
The way she changes during the course of the game if you make the right choices makes her one of the more nuances characters in the game.

First playthrough I stuck with her from the moment she joined until the moment the game ended. Talked to her about anything and everything at every chance I could (I'm a stickler for reading / listening to all dialogue).

Still don't like her.

Articate

Banned
Yup, she's a bitch.

I could not press the
save Kaiden
option quickly enough.

Kaiden is awesome, though. Being played by Raphael Sbarge made me immediately like him. Carth was awesome, too, on that note.

kmfdmpig

Crunched said:
So far not totally grabbing me; I'm a little lost as to how to control it all. There doesn't really seem to be a great tutorial system. I'm only about an hour in, though, so we'll see.

For me the game really picked up after 4-5 hours. As you become more used to the mechanics and start to upgrade your character/level up things become much more fun.

JayDubya

Banned
Kyoufu said:
Ashley is a racist though, so she gets killed at the nuke every single time. :)

Specist or maybe xenophobe would be the term. And mildly.

If you kill her everytime you might not see her interaction with those lovely gentlemen from Terra Firma who are actually quite a bit more what exemplary of what you're suggesting. And it's practically a lock that they'll show up with greater emphasis in the sequel, so hey.

She's also harder to get and way hotter, so she wins in general. :D Beats me, she was my favorite character other than Wrex. And if she ends up killing Wrex, that's either a failure on the player's part or something the player ordered to have happen. There's a dialogue skill tree and a very simple side quest if you want to save Wrex.

Incidentally, it's also a byproduct of the player being shoehorned into destroying the Krogan's method of reproduction. I didn't want to do that at all. Honestly, from all accounts the council races have pretty much been xenocidal asshats during their tenure of the galaxy, and the genophage struck me as pretty repugnant.

Guts Of Thor

Thorax of Odin
I recently have been playing this after setting it aside for the past several months and it really is an amazing game.

I've been trying to beat the last form of Saren and cannot do it. I'm playing as a soldier and my squad consists of Liara and Tali. What's the best strategy?

Kyoufu

Guts Of Thor said:
I recently have been playing this after setting it aside for the past several months and it really is an amazing game.

I've been trying to beat the last form of Saren and cannot do it. I'm playing as a soldier and my squad consists of Liara and Tali. What's the best strategy?

Depends on the difficulty setting.

If there is no immunity, you can lock SSJ Saren down with Liara's Lift and Singularity while you dish him some pain.

With my Adept I killed him in about a minute by spamming crowd control biotics and my trusty pistol.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Some characters are bitches, and not nice. Its better than a party of goody two shoes or generic badasses comparing gun sizes

JayDubya

Banned
HK-47 said:
Some characters are bitches, and not nice. Its better than a party of goody two shoes or generic badasses comparing gun sizes

I never thought of Ash as a bitch but if she is I guess I like bitches. :lol

I just finally started this game and I am absolutely floored.
The presentation the combat and the atmosphere is so well done.

Just so I get the most out of it I have a couple questions.
Are there any guidelines or tips I should keep in mind with regards
to the combat?

Every once in a while when I run I sprint like a damn banshee and then
other times I just kind of trot along. Why does it vary?

BruceLeeRoy said:

to the combat?

in terms of combat ur mantra should always be to find cover ASAP. also, warp is prob the best skill to have against the big bosses since you can just spam that and adrenaline boost with all 3 ppl and you can beat almost every boss.

i dunno why u sprint sometimes and then not, maybe u are pressing A on accident during combat and are using the "rush" skill or the difference between the combat and regular walking seems big to you

Coverly

BruceLeeRoy said:
to the combat?

Wow, is there any other thread of a game released more than a year ago that's as active as this?

For combat try using your teammate's abilities often. It's not so critical in long range, but in closed quarters they can help you take some heat off. On my first playthrough i didn't use them at all and sniped everyone, even the last boss by myself. 2nd playthrough I started to use them and found they were a lot of fun and very helpful. Oh and like the poster said above, use cover.

You know, I'm still lvl 58, might as well get up to 60!

Troidal

I finished the game in 20 hours. HOLY SHIT WAS THAT EPIC OR WHAT? :-D

It felt short, but the main storyline was very good so I had no complaints there...for those who know the scifi TV series Babylon 5, it has a similar theme to it so I felt right at home with the story especially towards the end.

The "hard decisions" I had to make weren't that hard, I'm so ruthless haha. I ended up choosing
to leave Ashley to die, and also let the ship with the Council members burn to hell :lol Never liked them so I didnt really miss them. So would it be possible to actually save the Council ship?

Also regarding romance plot:
I didnt really do much conversing except towards the later half, and I still ended up with my girl character sleeping with Kaiden, LOL. Is the sex scene always going to happen, or this wouldn't happen if you didn't develop the romance plot? Just curious.

I wish they'd put out a sequel and continue on with the story... It's the first Bioware RPG I managed to finish, kudos to them for such an awesome experience.

Flunkie

Banned
Ashley is my favorite character in the game. She's the one person that I talked to that made me really wanted to succeed in my dialogue choices and say the perfect thing.
I saved her instead of Kaiden and because of my speech levels, she didn't shoot Wrex.

wangman31888 said:
in terms of combat ur mantra should always be to find cover ASAP. also, warp is prob the best skill to have against the big bosses since you can just spam that and adrenaline boost with all 3 ppl and you can beat almost every boss.

i dunno why u sprint sometimes and then not, maybe u are pressing A on accident during combat and are using the "rush" skill or the difference between the combat and regular walking seems big to you

Coverly said:
Wow, is there any other thread of a game released more than a year ago that's as active as this?

For combat try using your teammate's abilities often. It's not so critical in long range, but in closed quarters they can help you take some heat off. On my first playthrough i didn't use them at all and sniped everyone, even the last boss by myself. 2nd playthrough I started to use them and found they were a lot of fun and very helpful. Oh and like the poster said above, use cover.

You know, I'm still lvl 58, might as well get up to 60!

Awesome thanks guys thats great to know.
With the dialogue trees I am trying to decide if being belligerent is worth it or
if just being nice to everyone will be more effective.
What do you guys think?

AndresON777

shooting blanks
Cool thanks for the tips on the romance.

Yeah I think Ashley is pretty hot, is there any way to get some action from Tali? She probably has the most fit bod, lol

Man they really should release some more dlc, bringing down the sky was so awesome...best 5 bucks I've spent in a while

Edit--game runs pretty great off of the hdd

Coverly

BruceLeeRoy said:
With the dialogue trees I am trying to decide if being belligerent is worth it or
What do you guys think?

Well you can always try the other on the 2nd playthrough! Both are good though, just stick to one so that you can build up your karma and get better dialogue options later because of your choices. You don't have to be a 100% good or bad though, you can get away with one or two occasions of being the opposite without affecting your rating too much. But yeah, just be consistent so that your good/bad rating will give you special dialogue options later in the game.

If you want though, just mix it up to how you feel like handing a specific quest. When that guy went up to me saying he wanted to inspect my ship i told him to fuck off, even though i was a good character following all orders and requests. The extra dialogue choices that you get by being good/evil are not that extreme, regular dialogue choices will get you by just fine.

Rasputin

Banned
BruceLeeRoy said:

to the combat?

Go to gameplay settings and set the level ups so that they are controlled by you and not automatically by the game. You will do a far better job of shaping you and your parties characters then the game will.

Also, in the same gameplay options section you'll want to set your party members abilities to be "defensive only". This prevents them from uselessly spamming their abilities at enemies that are either hidden or too far away to kill even if they are injured.

You've probably noticed that there is a recharge time for abilities like lift, throw, or rampage, that's why you want your squad mates to use those abilities as defensive only, so they aren't drained if you get rushed and so that they are always charged and ready for you to use.

I don't know if you are playing this on 360 or pc, but on pc you hold down the space bar to access you and your (current) squadmates abilities. That's what makes this game so easy. You basically have all of the abilities of whoever is alive in your current party available to use as if they were your own, yet the only character that has to survive a fight is you.

EDIT: Also, I forgot to address your question about sprinting. You can only sprint when in combat or when injured. I can't really see any use for sprinting outside of combat, but if you need to you can blow up an explosive canister near you or blow up one of your own grenades near enough to injure yourself and you will be able to sprint for a short time.

Uncle

BruceLeeRoy said:
What do you guys think?

Being an asshole is way more awesome. Some really great moments.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
ChrisGoldstein said:
Cool thanks for the tips on the romance.

Yeah I think Ashley is pretty hot, is there any way to get some action from Tali? She probably has the most fit bod, lol

Man they really should release some more dlc, bringing down the sky was so awesome...best 5 bucks I've spent in a while

Edit--game runs pretty great off of the hdd

208ft6h.png

How would that even work anyway?

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Damnit, this thread makes me want to play it again also...

I already planned to do so again sometime this month, but I lent the game to a friend of mine while on vacation, and I'm tempted to just ask for it as soon I get back... :lol

Hell I feel like looking for some of the cutscenes online or something...

BenjaminBirdie said:
Just a question, on a New Game +, the relationships carry over for Achievements, right?

Nope - but they are always easy to get in one playthrough anyways so that's no problem...

Dizzy-4U

ChrisGoldstein said:
Well, she can't remove her suit unless she is in her home planet. Maybe in the sequel we get to see her home and them BAM!!! Score!!!

BenjaminBirdie said:
WAT. I did Wrex from like the very start and didn't get his achievement.
You have to rush to get the characters first and THEN start doing all the sidequest. This is critical for charcters like Liara since she is the last character you get. They have to be in your party for everything.

I always kept the same party members: Garrus and the awesome Tali. Got both achievements at the last chapter of the game.

Dizzy-4U said:
Well, she can't remove her suit unless she is in her home planet. Maybe in the sequel we get to see her home and them BAM!!! Score!!!

You have to rush to get the characters first and THEN start doing all the sidequest. This is critical for charcters like Liara since she is the last character you get. They have to be in your party for everything.

I always kept the same party members: Garrus and the awesome Tali. Got both achievements at the last chapter of the game.

Man. I did that, pretty much. Always kept the same party.

MAN.

Rufus

Dizzy-4U said:
They'd have to rid themselves of the Geth first. :lol
I'd say its more likely to visit their flotilla, but who knows...

Rufus said:
They'd have to rid themselves of the Geth first. :lol
I'd say its more likely to visit their flotilla, but who knows...

I can't believe we didn't get to see a single home planet in the entire game. C'mon, BioWare. One city to visit is not enough! I'm tired of barren wastelands. I want to see some cool alien architecture.

Leatherface

I bought this on steam this past weekend and finally got to play this gem (I don't have a 360).

Anyway, this is barnone one of the best RPG's i've played in recent memory. Not only that but everything from the controls, to the voice acting and everything in between is so polished and intuitive, it's just crazy!

Anyone on the fence who likes rpg's should DEFINATELY give this a go.

segarr

Dizzy-4U said:

Actually, it doesn't really have anything to do with her home planet. The Quarian home planet is now controlled by Geth. Their species has to wear the suits because they have no immune system, due to spending most of their lives on space ships that have little to no bacteria on them.

Bioware didn't give a lot of detail about this, but I would assume that she can't even take her suit off in front of humans. Of course, videogame logic would probably suggest some way around that, but scientifically, one would have to assume that anything that isn't bacteria free could cause illness.

Rufus

segarr said:
Of course, videogame logic would probably suggest some way around that, but scientifically, one would have to assume that anything that isn't bacteria free could cause illness.
Make every non-Quarian wear a suit, problem solved.

Top Bottom