• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect |OT| Alien love in an elevator

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I can understand why people scoffed at the combat, but once I got past the rough edges and learning curve I really enjoyed it.

Meh to the haters. It’s easily one of the best action RPG-lite games I’ve played in years. Loved every second.

Shame about the future of the DLC. If it means we get Mass Effect 2 quicker with no quality loss then I'm for it, but I certainly hope the DLC is more consistent for the sequel.

Always-honest said:
oh i will.
I want a way to carve up mine enemies.

Not just shoot them with stoopid lazers.

EatChildren said:
I can understand why people scoffed at the combat, but once I got past the rough edges and learning curve I really enjoyed it.

Meh to the haters. It’s easily one of the best action RPG-lite games I’ve played in years. Loved every second.

Shame about the future of the DLC. If it means we get Mass Effect 2 quicker with no quality loss then I'm for it, but I certainly hope the DLC is more consistent for the sequel.
I WANT FUTUREKNIVES!!!

If I'm not getting post game content then don't give it to me at all. DLC meant to expand upon the events and create a bridge to ME2 is welcome, otherwise keep it away from me and keep working on ME2.

I would have preferred more customization options, armor, and weapons to what we got with the first DLC.

Also I want MOAR raw emotion from ME2 and I want the voice actor from this vid: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b1JSg1R2xl0

Didn't care much for the ME1 voice actor.

Walshicus

Slightly off topic, but did anyone else buy The Faunt's albums after listening to their track in the end credits? I can't recommend them enough.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Dark FaZe said:
Didn't care much for the ME1 voice actor.

The male voice actor can go (unless for the sake of continuity), but I'll be extremely pissed off if Jennifer Hale doesn't return. She was perfect.

Mindlog

Sir Fragula said:
Slightly off topic, but did anyone else buy The Faunt's albums after listening to their track in the end credits? I can't recommend them enough.

<-- Guilty.

The video for M4 Part 2 is great! The CBC studio session for part 1 is also top notch.

I know a lot of people slagged ME's combat. I'm probably in the minority, but I really liked it. I mean REALLY liked it. I liked it so much I wish other FPS/TPS had more abilities in a similar fashion (perks not included.)

I liked it so much that I would almost say I want more FPS/TPS co-opting and refining that style.

That seems like an exaggeration.

... Then again ME is still the only console game I've played to full completion.

Even the Mako once I got the hang of it. I had no problem circle strafing maws. Some of the more mountainous regions could go to hell though.

EatChildren

Mindlog said:
Even the Mako once I got the hang of it. I had no problem circle strafing maws. Some of the more mountainous regions could go to hell though.

The Mako was easy to control and anyone whining about it needs to learn how to play.

The levels though...need improvement. I enjoyed them for being pace breakers, since they were pretty relaxing and straightforward, and played differently from the rest of the game, but they definitely need more mission variety in ME2.

Troidal

Very lttp, but I finally grabbed a copy and started the game. I like serious sci-fi like Star Trek and Babylon 5 (as opposed to campy heroics like Star Wars) so this really has a similar atmosphere.

I stopped Fallout 3 for the moment and have been playing this more now. Fallout 3 is more exploration-based, but Mass Effect is quite plot-driven so far and I like it.

I'm still trying to play through this on PC even though I've had it since May. I don't know, at first I just found it flat out boring and a chore to play. Now, I find myself digusted with the "dungeon" layouts on planets. As someone else stated waaay earlier in this thread, it clearly seems the reasons for the hallway to room (...loading) to hallway to room layout is because of hardware limitations (or maybe Bioware's lack of creativity).

I just think me having to force myself to play this isn't a good thing...especially after all these months =/

jonah777 said:
"Bioware has informed us that since there will be no new Mass Effect content until the sequel[, to continue more Mass Effect products at this time would probably not find a place in the market"

Fuck all this BS about, 'if we get ME2 faster because...". Stop it. Seriously guys.

Bolded is the reason, plain as day. They don't think more DLC is viable. That is, the people now making the decisions don't think it's viable.

Fuck off. I love your game, and I'm angry.

Walshicus

Mindlog said:
<-- Guilty.

The video for M4 Part 2 is great! The CBC studio session for part 1 is also top notch.
Hah, didn't realise they had a video for it! Poor old crab.

I think I actually prefer Parler de la Pluie et du Beau Temps though. Love the sax.

Troidal

I am 6 hours in and I have to say the combat is somewhat boring. Your allies die very often, and once you lose them, you're almost guaranteed to get killed. I enjoy the story parts a lot, but I can't imagine myself playing too much of the sidequests, if only for cool weapons and equipments (are there any?).

I've been reading a few of the older posts in this thread and yeah, the elevator 'loading time' even on HDD install is kinda lame, and the inventory system is absolute shit. A minor gripe too is that choosing different dialogue branches (other than the obvious 'blue' paragon and red 'renegade' ones) doesn't really affect/influence the other person's dialogue that much.

Quest question: your first choices to go on a mission are Noveria, Feros and Liara's Dig Site. Which should be first in terms of difficulty? Someone said here that Noveria should be last, so I decided not to do it yet, I chose Feros...and damn it was pretty hard. I didn't have medkits left by the time I was fighting the
Thorian and the Asari clones
...thought I would not make it *_*

I think the dig site is the easiest. Do some sidequests first though. There are some interesting ones at the start.

Also, heal often, then they won't die. (they barely died on me)

But then again, the game can be hard in the first few hours.

kmfdmpig

gregor7777 said:
Fuck all this BS about, 'if we get ME2 faster because...". Stop it. Seriously guys.

Bolded is the reason, plain as day. They don't think more DLC is viable. That is, the people now making the decisions don't think it's viable.

Fuck off. I love your game, and I'm angry.

Isn't the quote referring to books and other licensed products? If so then I'm not sure that would be the primary reason against making more DLC. I would imagine that BDTS turned a profit, but I guess we'd have no way of knowing.

If I were Bioware I'd think about doing one or two more DLC and then releasing a platinum edition with the DLC included (to get more fans before the release of the sequel).

Troidal

Hellraizer said:
I think the dig site is the easiest. Do some sidequests first though. There are some interesting ones at the start.

Also, heal often, then they won't die. (they barely died on me)

But then again, the game can be hard in the first few hours.

I heal often, and what ended up happening was I ran out of medkits by the end part of Feros. Not cool :/

I hope to plow through the game quick because I've always had the problem of not ever finishing a Bioware RPG for being too long (Baldur's Gate 1 & 2 and KoTOR)... even though I consider them really good. Will I finally break the curse? ;D

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
I hardly ever needed medkits until late in the game. Health Regen loaded into your armor + COVER worked great for me. The dig site was actually pretty tough though. Especially when you leave the Mako.

Just finished Feros last night. I'm enjoying the game more now (mostly the story) but fuck your buddy AI is a complete and utter joke! ...not to mention enemy AI who's primary tactic tends to be sure running right at you (sometimes even past you) which really makes the firefights feel lame

Zoso

It's been a long time, been a long time, been a long lonely lonely lonely lonely lonely time.
AgentOtaku said:
Just finished Feros last night. I'm enjoying the game more now (mostly the story) but fuck your buddy AI is a complete and utter joke! ...not to mention enemy AI who's primary tactic tends to be sure running right at you (sometimes even past you) which really makes the firefights feel lame
Yeah I agree. I thought Mass Effect was amazing for it's story, but pretty mediocre for it's combat. The combat got the job done, but it was rarely satisfying or even that much fun. I really liked most everything about the game, but I hope Bioware makes the combat more fun for ME2.

Dizzy-4U

I'm also LTTP. I'm about 28 hs in and loving every minute of it. Did every sidequest I found and I'm about to enter Feros. I think I made a mistake since I did Virmire before Feros.(
My Kaidan died T_T
).

About the incident in Virmire:
Is there a way to save both? Ashley and Kaidan? Or one of them always have to die?

Despite the slowdown and texture pop-in, I'm enjoying the game a lot. Strange, since I never liked western RPG. The Sidequest are pretty good, enhaces the story a lot IMO. The only thing that I don't like is that the structure of every planet's houses/dig sites is always the same. The change a few boxes here and there, but the structure is the same. But, I can live with that, is not that bad.

Troidal said:
I am 6 hours in and I have to say the combat is somewhat boring. Your allies die very often, and once you lose them...
Take cover, a lot. If you try to play it as a shooter, you will die often. Also, the RB button is your friend. You can revive allies, increase firepower, rise the shields. Keep that in mind for later levels. Pressing down on the d-pad makes you teammates hold their position. This is very useful since otherwise they always rush through the enemy and they get killed pretty often.

Quest question: your first choices to go on a mission are Noveria, Feros and Liara's Dig Site. Which should be first in terms of difficulty? Someone said here that Noveria should be last, so I decided not to do it yet, I chose Feros...and damn it was pretty hard. I didn't have medkits left by the time I was fighting the
Thorian and the Asari clones
...thought I would not make it *_*
I did the dig site first, then Noveria. When I finished Noveria, Virmire pops up as an alternative. Leave that one for the last I think.

Troidal

Dizzy-4U said:
Take cover, a lot. If you try to play it as a shooter, you will die often. Also, the RB button is your friend. You can revive allies, increase firepower, rise the shields. Keep that in mind for later levels. Pressing down on the d-pad makes you teammates hold their position. This is very useful since otherwise they always rush through the enemy and they get killed pretty often.

I stopped sending my allies as tanks because they get slaughtered even after giving them stronger armors and weapons. Now i tell them to stay put and if lucky, they start shooting while covering. Wish they were as smart more often.

I do use cover but some enemies just like to run towards you (or passed you) :lol

Combat is just not that good and it's actually worse than KoTOR. At least melee combat was fun in that one, but this game just sucks in comparison. Thank god the story is good, or I would have thrown this game out.

I don't understand, Troidal. Virtually everybody in this thread said that you just generally sucked at the game, and you still blame the game because you obviously don't know how to play it.

FINALLY beat this the other week - it got lost in my backlog for some time...
I REALLY am looking forward to a more polished sequel - I enjoyed every minute of this game - but the technical side did bother me from time-to-time!

Troidal

Littleberu said:
I don't understand, Troidal. Virtually everybody in this thread said that you just generally sucked at the game, and you still blame the game because you obviously don't know how to play it.

LOL...yeah I probably just suck :p

But it's not just because of the technical/gameplay aspects, it just feels empty. There's no excitement when killing all these monsters like you would in a shooter. And Fallout 3 is also an RPG and that has got the shooting elements right...it feels so good shooting enemies into bits and pieces here, but not Mass Effect. It's just dull.

Troidal said:

But it's not just because of the technical/gameplay aspects, it just feels empty. There's no excitement when killing all these monsters like you would in a shooter. And Fallout 3 is also an RPG and that has got the shooting elements right...it feels so good shooting enemies into bits and pieces here, but not Mass Effect. It's just dull.

Well, I didn't think that. I don't know what class you're playing, but the powers like push and lift made the game very enjoyable.

And I mainly used the shotgun, so I guess I had fun kicking an enemy in the air and then push him in a wall. That was fun to me.

Kyoufu

Troidal said:

If you're playing the game like Halo, Gears or GRAW then you're doing it wrong.

tip: use biotics! Adept or Vanguard will show you a whole new side to the game.

kmfdmpig said:
Isn't the quote referring to books and other licensed products? If so then I'm not sure that would be the primary reason against making more DLC. I would imagine that BDTS turned a profit, but I guess we'd have no way of knowing.

If I were Bioware I'd think about doing one or two more DLC and then releasing a platinum edition with the DLC included (to get more fans before the release of the sequel).

Hmm, maybe I read it wrong.

They're still jerks for not having the second DLC out by now, even if they are planing it.

Jerks, I tells ya.

Fun Factor

Formerly FTWer
Troidal said:

Are you fucking kidding? Fallout 3 has the worst FPS mechanics EVER! Just proves you don't know how to play this game.

kmfdmpig

commariodore64 said:
I REALLY am looking forward to a more polished sequel - I enjoyed every minute of this game - but the technical side did bother me from time-to-time!
That's really the amazing thing about the game, I think. It's flawed in many ways technically (pop in, loading time, etc...) and has some under-developed design choices (a galaxy with only a few blueprints for buildings), but somehow it's still so fun. While I think the story and voice acting play a role in that I also thought they did a good job of making the level system fun, and to this day I think it's made the best use of achievements ever.

kmfdmpig said:
That's really the amazing thing about the game, I think. It's flawed in many ways technically (pop in, loading time, etc...) and has some under-developed design choices (a galaxy with only a few blueprints for buildings), but somehow it's still so fun. While I think the story and voice acting play a role in that I also thought they did a good job of making the level system fun, and to this day I think it's made the best use of achievements ever.

Not to mention it still has a flat out amazing overall art design. Still one of the best out there, for me at least. I think that's definitely a big draw for me...

Troidal

FTWer said:
Are you fucking kidding? Fallout 3 has the worst FPS mechanics EVER! Just proves you don't know how to play this game.

Hahahaha....I use the V.A.T.S. and blasting enemies are so fun. So I am not playing it like an FPS. What is important in gun combat is it should provide you a feeling of satisfaction blasting some mofo's head. FPS games do, Fallout 3 also do, but Mass Effect don't. It's my own fault though...I shouldn't be looking at it as that kind of game.

Kyoufu said:
If you're playing the game like Halo, Gears or GRAW then you're doing it wrong.

I am a vanguard, and I do use push and float. But if you've played KoTOR, it's nothing new really. I haven't leveled up these skills to really use them to full potential, but yes this part is fun.

kmfdmpig

AgentOtaku said:
Not to mention it still has a flat out amazing overall art design. Still one of the best out there, for me at least. I think that's definitely a big draw for me...

Good point. The aliens in particular were designed quite well, and were quite a bit more original than the standard aliens in videogames.

Chiggs

Gold Member
Kyoufu said:

I didn't upgrade biotics once in this game. Just went batshit on the guns and armor and powered my way through it. Worked fine, actually.

EatChildren

Mohonky said:
I'm more interested in when the sequel will arrive and what platforms it will be released.

Last report we had was that it would be Xbox360 exclusive for a certain period of time but eventually make it's way to PC. Was a fairly offhanded comment though so not an announcement.

I figure it will go that way regardless. Xbox360 exclusivity for a few months, then a PC port (hopefully by the same team as I liked their HUD changes).

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Mohonky said:
No.

I'm more interested in when the sequel will arrive and what platforms it will be released.

Hopefully they actually fix like everything except the lore and art direction...

Woffls

Just completed this for the 5th time...

I cannot express just how much I love this game. There have even been times where I consider it to be almost in the same league as Mario Galaxy. I'm looking forward to Mass Effect 2 more than anything next year.

JayDubya

Banned
Woffls said:

I cannot express just how much I love this game. There have even been times where I consider it to be almost in the same league as Mario Galaxy. I'm looking forward to Mass Effect 2 more than anything next year.

2010, I'm sure. Dragon Age is coming out on PC in Spring and consoles in Winter.

Kyoufu

Chiggs said:
I didn't upgrade biotics once in this game. Just went batshit on the guns and armor and powered my way through it. Worked fine, actually.

Yes it works fine, but its just so boring. I might as well just play Halo or Gears. :p

Beaten the game 4 times now, and my Adept is just a beast. Mass Effect's endgame is really fun when you're able to spam biotics and make the battlefield your bitch with crowd controllers.

I've already said this before but part of the fun comes from unlocking achievements and using those achievements on your next play-through. Vanguard with the Singularity skill is what I'm doing currently and its just so fun. They really made good use of achievements.

Woffls said:

*high five*

Its definitely the number one thing I want from a western dev in 2009, thats for sure.

Troidal

So yea, I was playing it wrong.

I was wondering why Garrus keeps dying, it's because he sucks!!! XD

So I switched to Kaidan and so me and him have biotic skills, spamming push and floats during combat and now I can handle the enemy ambushes much, much better.

I have 3 main quests (according to the FAQ) so I think I'm pretty sure I will finish this game at least once.

Troidal said:
So yea, I was playing it wrong.

I was wondering why Garrus keeps dying, it's because he sucks!!! XD

He probably does. I'm not sure what it is but he dies so much with my party even with the best armor and upgrades he can get.

AndresON777

shooting blanks
Game of the generation for me.

Finally bought Bringing down the sky with some christmas points. Wow it was intense and I got 50 gamerscore points!

This game still holds up to new releases even after a year.

Deacan

9/10 NeoGAFfers don't understand statistics. The other 3/10 don't care.
Bah when are Bioware going to shed some light on the sequel.

Top Bottom