• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect |OT| Alien love in an elevator

Tobor

Blimblim said:
dante2.jpg

Got the game today, I'm not sure I'm going to like the battle system (I didn't like KOTOR either), but everything else is top notch. I especially love the music so far.

Ironically enough, I love the combat(and I liked KOTOR).

I'm really surprised at how much this reminds me of Star Control 2. And I mean that in an amazingly awesome way.

This game is KOTOR + Star Control 2 to me. And it doesn't get anymore bad ass than that.

Back to the Mako I go! Exploration and plunder await.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
karasu said:
Those custom characters look really off to me. Especially the women. @_@
You can make some of the ugliest character faces known to man in Mass Effect.
Me and a friend tried to make a pretty chick, but failed miserably. :lol

Scribble

I loved KOTOR's battle system. I didn't care about the really technical aspects of it -- it looked and felt cool, and that's all what mattered to me.

RumFore

Banned
Hardly any promotion on TV for this game. Guess there hoping it sells via word of mouth or the money they got from Halo 3 was enough.

Median

Lostconfused said:
DAMN IT! I just did the trade in 3 games at EB, so its fully paid off and now the LE is up on .ca sites. Sigh, i really don't know what to do. Anyone know if they let me turn that into store credit or do i have no choice?

If I'm not mistaken you can move that to any other trade in 3 game. Or, if you're crafty, you can always come in and ask to move it to some other game or get credit if the person working there doesn't recognize you. I did that once, had a preorder on Stranglehold and changed my mind. A couple weeks later I asked for my preorder to be cancelled and I used the credit on another game. YMMV though.

Median said:
If I'm not mistaken you can move that to any other trade in 3 game. Or, if you're crafty, you can always come in and ask to move it to some other game or get credit if the person working there doesn't recognize you. I did that once, had a preorder on Stranglehold and changed my mind. A couple weeks later I asked for my preorder to be cancelled and I used the credit on another game. YMMV though.

Your Yahtzee avatar brings hope and joy to my heart.

Munin

Kaako said:
You can make some of the ugliest character faces known to man in Mass Effect.
Me and a friend tried to make a pretty chick, but failed miserably. :lol

It seems pretty faces are really doable. At least I've seen quite a few. It's just that most hair styles look terrible.

RumFore said:
Hardly any promotion on TV for this game. Guess there hoping it sells via word of mouth or the money they got from Halo 3 was enough.
I just started seeing the TV commercial last night but I probably saw it 5-6 times across a number of networks, so it seems they're ramping up the campaign now.

MajestY

Now that Mass Effect LE is available in Canada... umm, for those of you with the CE discs already (Che, Luke, etc), are they worth the extra $10? The only real bonus appears to be the bonus disc...

If the four documentaries are actually in-depth and last more than 30 minutes in total, then maybe it's worth something. I'm a fan of making-ofs, as long as they are not fluff.

yukoner

RumFore said:

Assassin's Creed didn't start until about a week ago, ME should be starting this week, and then be in full force next week leading up to launch.

u_neek

Blimblim said:
dante2.jpg

Got the game today, I'm not sure I'm going to like the battle system (I didn't like KOTOR either), but everything else is top notch. I especially love the music so far.
Did you check if the game is region free or not?

Blimblim said:
dante2.jpg

Will you be recording stuff? Oh gawrsh, I really can't wait, if you are! :D

That video made an already excruciating wait just that much more painful.

And to make matters even worse, as if waiting for the 20th wasn't already bad enough I canceled my regular edition pre-order (Kotaku and Wired revealing the Limited Edition tin and contents sealed that deal) and now have to wait for said LE to arrive from Amazon.

With Thanksgiving next week, we could actually be talking as late as Friday or Saturday.

This is THE game I've been more excited about than any other this year. Hell, not just this year but ever since finishing Knights of the Old Republic and (impatiently) waiting for Bioware to give us the next proper science fiction title. Christ on a Corelian Cruiser, why is the LE not available at the brick and mortar stores?! Argh.

I was really surprised at the steep mountains that you could traverse in the Mako. That thing will go up just about any gradient less than 90*.

u_neek

Lebron said:
I have a few friends with PAL 360s that are currently playing the US version.
OMG, will preorder the US version right away then if no one's got a copy to sell me so I can get it a bit earlier ;)

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
u_neek said:
OMG, will preorder the US version right away then if no one's got a copy to sell me so I can get it a bit earlier ;)

Where can you pre-order from to get it before the 23rd? Seems VG+ dont to courier shipping anymore.

I did a quick google and found quite a few people are saying it is region free.

JayDubya

Banned
pixel monkey said:
That video made an already excruciating wait just that much more painful.

And to make matters even worse, as if waiting for the 20th wasn't already bad enough I canceled my regular edition pre-order (Kotaku and Wired revealing the Limited Edition tin and contents sealed that deal) and now have to wait for said LE to arrive from Amazon.

With Thanksgiving next week, we could actually be talking as late as Friday or Saturday.

This is THE game I've been more excited about than any other this year. Hell, not just this year but ever since finishing Knights of the Old Republic and (impatiently) waiting for Bioware to give us the next proper science fiction title. Christ on a Corelian Cruiser, why is the LE not available at the brick and mortar stores?! Argh.

Yup, won't arrive at my house until Friday. And I'll be out of town. For this and about a billion other reasons (such as all the shootings and mutilations and assaults GAF has wished on me in the OT, including giant monsters smashing my home), I'm glad you folks don't know where I live so you don't get a five finger discount on ME: Limited Edition. :lol

Yeah. It'll just be sitting outside uselessly while I'm ~250 miles away.

Worse, I have a bazillion things to do the following week, so that time off was Mass Effect reserved. Now, I could bump those things up and redouble efforts to get them done now so I can have more time later, and I probably will, but again, fuck. :(

xbhaskarx

This doesn't sound too exciting. Sorry if it has already been posted.

http://www.penny-arcade.com/

Desperate for something, anything to criticize about Bioshock, its hacking metaphor was seized upon as being somewhat less than absolutely perfect. But even Bioshock's gravest enemy must admit that the hacking exists, that someone took the time to create a play system that is integrated with a number of character upgrades and delivers a range of possible experiences. The hacking in Mass Effect consists of pressing A, B, X, or Y when these buttons light up on the screen. Didn't work? Carpal tunnel flaring up? Smear Omni-Gel - the universal goop of the future - on any locked box, and watch it open like a steamed clam.

I think I will be using lots of Omni-Gel... wait, let me rephrase that....

karasu

Blimblim said:
dante2.jpg

Come on Blim. You can't honestly say that there's anything attractive about any of those females in that image. They look like assistant principals.

Tobor

To be honest, the hacking system is kind of a relief for me. Tap some buttons and open says me. It's so easy, I don't see why anyone would waste the omni-gel, which you do need for other things. More importantly, it's fast. Open the crate and go, go, go.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Did anyone answer my beard question? This thread is massive...

Mudo

Great video. And if you liked (loved) it, be comforted in knowing that past that tiny little piece of the game you just saw is an IMMENSE experience on par with that video, just multiplied out in every freaking direction.

4 days later it's still blowing my mind, I really think this is going to the top of my fave games list.

Oh, the soundtrack - it's great of course - very ambient, like the video. More full, symphonic pieces come in at plot points but overall the chill out awesomeness that is the rest of the soundtrack perfectly fits the space/galaxy travelling thing well.

Top Bottom