• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect |OT| Alien love in an elevator

JayDubya

Banned
Hrm, why yes, I would like heavy armor and a good run speed so I can smack people in the face with the butt of my gun. :D

Now, if only I had a chainsaw bayonet. :( Or a "laser sword."

Lostconfused said:
ok that better not be a spoiler.

Edit: tagged it just in case.

Not a spoiler. In the Close Quarters video, which I was referring to in this post right here, Ashley runs ahead in a combat scene and gets shot down. This isn't an "Aeris dies!" post. In FF7 terms, we're talking someone fell down and needs a Phoenix Down. :lol

To that end, I hope they have some customization for the AI. I want my Ashley to stay back and snipe while I charge in blindly, Minsc style!

Zzoram

Lostconfused said:
ok that better not be a spoiler.

Edit: tagged it just in case.

She didn't die, she was just knocked out in the fight. After the area is cleared, she'll get back up, if this game is anything like KOTOR.

JayDubya

Banned
Lostconfused said:
Well thats what i guessed, i just wanted to make it was dead combat dead not storyline dead.

Yeah, it's pretty much only Fire Emblem where this sort of inconsistancy isn't a problem.

"He's dead, Jim."
"Well... can't you give him a life potion?"
"... No, he's plot dead, Jim."
"Fuck."

JayDubya said:
Yeah, it's pretty much only Fire Emblem where this sort of inconsistancy isn't a problem.

"He's dead, Jim."
"Well... can't you give him a life potion?"
"... No, he's plot dead, Jim."
"Fuck."

Haha, thats a good one.

Hmm i expect some twists in this game which bioware loves oh so much but i hope they are better then the KOTOR one. Because thinking back on it, the whole surprise twist didnt change the game in any way what so ever, oh sure you get like one new dialog option but the game world still treats you pretty much the same way before and after. Heck the biggest consequence is that
you loose a hawt female npc from your party

JayDubya

Banned
Okay, yeah, this is kind of cool. Oblivion's facial generation was more or less a "let's try to NOT make something ugly" type deal. You pretty much had to start with the base and not mess with much. This shows a lot of variety and it almost all looks good.

1195004674.jpg

1195004671.jpg

1195004673.jpg

I'm pretty happy with that, yeah.

Edit: Rehosted.

JayDubya said:
Okay, yeah, this is kind of cool. Oblivion's facial generation was more or less a "let's try to NOT make something ugly" type deal.

True. Oblivion's create a player was awful.. the humans looked particularly strange.

JayDubya said:
Okay, yeah, this is kind of cool. Oblivion's facial generation was more or less a "let's try to NOT make something ugly" type deal. You pretty much had to start with the base and not mess with much. This shows a lot of variety and it almost all looks good.

1195004674.jpg

1195004671.jpg

1195004673.jpg

I'm pretty happy with that, yeah.

Edit: Rehosted.

I think I'll just stick to the default head. Just looks more natural.

Lebron

Kildace said:
My first hour in this game will be spent creating an exact likeness of Kristen Bell.
Weird, somehow I thought you terribly spelled Christian Bale wrong:lol

actually don't mind me, I'm crawling back into my corner...I just want the game already.

JayDubya

Banned
Silicon Knight said:
So you can't actually create a female with long hair

Um, MILITARY character, frequently wearing headgear. Long hair is going to get tied back or just cut off. Also, some of them appear to have fairly lengthy (well, shoulder length) hair that's tied up in the back, and if I'm not mistaken I thought I've seen a pony tail.

It would be great if more games allowed you to have variety in your characters default dress and hairstyle and all that over the course of a game, like characters with long hair wearing it down between missions or whatnot, but that's a rarity. At least the different armors will make you look different, something that was in BG, NWN, and Kotor, but there WAS no armor in Jade Empire so I got to look at Tiger Shen's ugly face all the time.

God those latest videos have me so hyped for this, that facial system looks poor in the top screenshots, but when you see it with the lighting its incredible.

So, I'm flipping through the OXM review and I remembered you can pick a first name and I was suddenly struck by the hilarity of making a picture perfect Dax Shepard. Not that I'm a fan or anything (although he was great in let's Go To Prison) but I think itd be pretty hilarious to send him through a forty hour space opera.

JayDubya

Banned
So random question about Renegade / Paragon...

What are they measuring, exactly?

If it's simply a Good meter and an Evil meter, but getting points in one doesn't negate points in the other, that's one thing, and it's unique enough.

But I have a question that will help me understand the whole thing a lot better. Given that Mass Effect apparently presents the player with difficult moral choices, this should be helpful for someone playing the game to answer - no spoilers, please, just try to answer.

If I have direct orders to do something but ignore them in order to obviously "do the right thing," is that grounds for more Paragon points, or more Renegade points?

Essentially, do those scales reflect adherence to military code and discipline / following orders to the letter vs. being a maverick OR does it reflect approaching situations with honor and respect for life and others vs. doing whatever the hell you want and taking the low road? In previous Bioware games with moral measurement, it has been the latter.

Said another way, is it a Paragon of virtue or a Paragon of a military officer?

BenjaminBirdie said:
So, I'm flipping through the OXM review and I remembered you can pick a first name and I was suddenly struck by the hilarity of making a picture perfect Dax Shepard. Not that I'm a fan or anything (although he was great in let's Go To Prison) but I think itd be pretty hilarious to send him through a forty hour space opera.
I suppose you could also go with Jack Shephard if you wanted to. :D

Jay Dubya - thanks for the character creation pics. It's a good display of how much variety is available.

JayDubya said:
But I have a question that will help me understand the whole thing a lot better. Given that Mass Effect apparently presents the player with difficult moral choices, this should be helpful for someone playing the game to answer - no spoilers, please, just try to answer.

At a certain point in the game, you decide the outcome of one of your party members. I'll leave it at that.

Cornballer said:
I suppose you could also go with Jack Shephard if you wanted to. :D

Jay Dubya - thanks for the character creation pics. It's a good display of how much variety is available.

Mind. Blown. But then I'll be yelling at everyone!

"WREX DAMMIT RUN!!"

Judges also would have accepted, "Saren?
I'm gonna get my people off this planet. ALL of them. And then, I'm going to come back. And I'm going to kill you.
"

That's an S3 spoiler, btw, not an ME one.

:D

Tieno

Munin said:
Just out of curiosity, are there male love interests for female characters to pursue as well?
I have no idea. If there would be, I'd figure there'd also be homersexual manlove. Only lesbians allowed for Mass Effect I think.

JayDubya

Banned
Munin said:
Just out of curiosity, are there male love interests for female characters to pursue as well?

Kaiden, the Sentinel. First joinable NPC in the game, if I'm not mistaken.

Tieno said:
I have no idea. If there would be, I'd figure there'd also be homersexual manlove. Only lesbians allowed for Mass Effect I think.

Given that Liara ain't even part of our species, and the Asari species only has one gender, I'd say it's fairly equal opportunity. Every Shepard can have a hetero relationship, or if they prefer, one equivalent exotic bit of alien bestiality.

Uncle

JayDubya said:
Given that Liara ain't even part of our species, and the Asari species only has one gender, I'd say it's fairly equal opportunity. Every Shepard can have a hetero relationship, or if they prefer, one equivalent exotic bit of alien bestiality.

Yeah, if someone want's to get semantic, there is nothing more heterosexual than interspecies lovin'.

FrankT

All I want for Christmas is Mass Effect.

I'll have it day one

DAMN IT! I just did the trade in 3 games at EB, so its fully paid off and now the LE is up on .ca sites. Sigh, i really don't know what to do. Anyone know if they let me turn that into store credit or do i have no choice?

Blimblim

The Inside Track
karasu said:
Those custom characters look really off to me. Especially the women. @_@
dante2.jpg

Got the game today, I'm not sure I'm going to like the battle system (I didn't like KOTOR either), but everything else is top notch. I especially love the music so far.

Top Bottom