• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect |OT| Alien love in an elevator

p3tran

Banned
traveler said:
This may have been addressed already, but I didn't see it- what is the age range like for Shephard? Can you craft a decent looking older guy? (For some reason, I always like to play old people in games- I'm a wizened old gnome in WoW, for example. :lol )
yes you can. my character is not a young fella. I think there are 3 age options for males (females I havent checked), regardless of all other facial features.
if you dont rush when creating your character, you can make a pretty decent job.
no full beard or long hair for men though, which kind of limited me to creating myself as a bald space marine with little facial hair.
perfection can never be created in this generation. :D

JayDubya

Banned
Anyone may feel free to, in as little spoilerific detail as possible, explain what the "prestige classes" are, if they even still exist.

Is it different from the "specializations" you get from achievements coupled with subsequent playthroughs?

Everyone on the ME community forums that has the game is being, shall we say, coy about this point.

MC Safety

PistolPete said:
You think too much. Mass Effect is all you'll need. This game will top them all.

I was lucky enough to find the game early (I think I've had it for over a week now maybe?). It's the closest thing you'll get to combining a fantastic book that you don't want to put down with an incredible Sci-fi movie.

Seriously guys, there's really no need to nitpick about tearing, skills, graphics, combat etc. When you get a copy, just put the game in the tray, turn the lights out, sit back and enjoy the experience. When you're done, ask yourself if what you just experienced was worth $59.99. I guarantee no one with a pulse will say "no".

Also, pray to the retail gods that the game sells well so we are all guarenteed the next two installments.

That sounds remarkably like viral marketing, man.

Over a week? Come on, now.

SOLDIER

I've asked this in about two other forums, but no one has any idea, so I'll try here. Anyone know when Toys R Us will receive this game? I want to use the $25 gift card from Mario Galaxy for this game.

MC Safety

JayDubya said:
Anyone may feel free to, in as little spoilerific detail as possible, explain what the "prestige classes" are, if they even still exist.

Is it different from the "specializations" you get from achievements coupled with subsequent playthroughs?

Everyone on the ME community forums that has the game is being, shall we say, coy about this point.

There are no specialty classes. Shepherd becomes a Spectre and remains one throughout the entirety of the game.

Depending on the class he's chosen (engineer, soldier, etc.) he's given a list of skills he can upgrade.

Putting experience points into these skills sometimes unlocks other skills. But these skills aren't magically revealed when Shepherd is moved into a new role. Instead, they're simply greyed out at the start and become available after requirements have been met.

JayDubya said:

Disclaimer: I'm not able to pull up my game to confirm 100%, and this is based on a finished playthrough, and it happened a while ago, so some details are a bit fuzzy:

When you reach a certain level, you have a choice to specialize. This specialization replaces your original class talent progression (i.e. you're no longer a soldier, but a ___), and it adds further enhancements on top of your original class talent progression (in addition to the soldier talent adding weapon damage and armor buffing, this new class adds such-and-such). I remember having a choice between two specializations, and I don't think you can choose to not specialize (i.e. stay as the original class), you will be an enhanced/specialized version of your class no matter what.

Stuff you get from achievements either apply to every character you generate, or are chooseable at the beginning on a subsequent/new game + playthrough.

MC Safety said:
There are no specialty classes. Shepherd becomes a Spectre and remains one throughout the entirety of the game.

Depending on the class he's chosen (engineer, soldier, etc.) he's given a list of skills he can upgrade.

Putting experience points into these skills sometimes unlocks other skills. But these skills aren't magically revealed when Shepherd is moved into a new role. Instead, they're simply greyed out at the start and become available after requirements have been met.

Someone hasn't reached a certain level number! =)

BastardSamurai said:
Disclaimer: I'm not able to pull up my game to confirm 100%, and this is based on a finished playthrough, and it happened a while ago, so some details are a bit fuzzy:

When you reach a certain level, you have a choice to specialize. This specialization replaces your original class talent progression (i.e. you're no longer a soldier, but a ___), and it adds further enhancements on top of your original class talent progression (in addition to the soldier talent adding weapon damage and armor buffing, this new class adds such-and-such). I remember having a choice between two specializations, and I don't think you can choose to not specialize (i.e. stay as the original class), you will be an enhanced/specialized version of your class no matter what.

Stuff you get from achievements either apply to every character you generate, or are chooseable at the beginning on a subsequent/new game + playthrough.

Sorry, late to the party, dullard, etc, but you get in game stuff for achievements?

Also, new Game + has been confirmed by people who've actually played it?

WHEE!!

JayDubya

Banned
Well on the forums someone said it was L20 and after doing a quest of some sort. And other people said there were 6 specializations in total, each class gets two options, and there's some overlap. But then someone else said something else and it's obnoxiously hard to filter out DA TROOF.

I just wish I could learn about those before starting so I could assign skill points or reserve skill points with that in mind. Similar info regarding the PrCs in KotOR2 was available a long time before the game came out.

There is a reason we have spoiler tags, after all, and those folks that don't wanna know can not highlight 'em. In the mean time, inquiring minds need to know. ;P

BenjaminBirdie said:
Sorry, late to the party, dullard, etc, but you get in game stuff for achievements?

Also, new Game + has been confirmed by people who've actually played it?

WHEE!!

Not all achievements, but yes, certain achievements give you in-game bonuses. So there is even more incentive to use certain weapons/biotics frequently.

And yeah, there's a new game+. Finished it last nite and tested it; I started a new career and was able to select my level 45 vanguard (won't spoil my specialization) with her awesome (achievement-rewarded) equipment.

Hawk269

SOLDIER said:
I've asked this in about two other forums, but no one has any idea, so I'll try here. Anyone know when Toys R Us will receive this game? I want to use the $25 gift card from Mario Galaxy for this game.

Toys R Us already has them. I tried to buy one, but the clerk did not notice the "DO NOT SELL TILL 11/20". That was until she scanned it and the register blocked the sale. The game was still in the shipping box when she pulled it and did notice the date. But regardless, they could not sell it because of the block TRU put on it. So, like most retailers they will have it Tuesday.

The nice thing is they will have it at opening being that they have the copies already.

syllogism said:
So how long is the game? Someone on SA beat it in 22 hours while getting the ""completionist achievement" for "completing the majority of the game". Sounds a bit short for a game with dozens of planets to explore.

So it took them 22 hours to complete 50.1% of the game? (If I'm reading that achievement description correctly)

44 hours sounds pretty good to me.

JayDubya said:
Well on the forums someone said it was L20 and after doing a quest of some sort. And other people said there were 6 specializations in total, each class gets two options, and there's some overlap. But then someone else said something else and it's obnoxiously hard to filter out DA TROOF.

I just wish I could learn about those before starting so I could assign skill points or reserve skill points with that in mind. Similar info regarding the PrCs in KotOR2 was available a long time before the game came out.

There is a reason we have spoiler tags, after all, and those folks that don't wanna know can not highlight 'em. In the mean time, inquiring minds need to know. ;P

I'll be blunt and spoiler-tag:

To the best of my recollection, I got the specialization option at level 25. It might have been tied to a quest, not sure. I don't remember a quest saying "you can now specialize", but I do remember getting that option right when I hit 25. I, as a Vanguard, had a chance to either be a Shock Trooper (further enhances weapon damage, plus my Barrier biotic) or a Nemesis (it was a while ago, but I'm pretty sure it's heavily biotic-focused). My character sheet replaced "vanguard" with "shock trooper", and the shock trooper specific stuff was in addition to whatever changes I would have in the vanguard tree by itself.

MC Safety

BastardSamurai said:

To the best of my recollection, I got the specialization option at level 25. It might have been tied to a quest, not sure. I don't remember a quest saying "you can now specialize", but I do remember getting that option right when I hit 25. I, as a Vanguard, had a chance to either be a Shock Trooper (further enhances weapon damage, plus my Barrier biotic) or a Nemesis (it was a while ago, but I'm pretty sure it's heavily biotic-focused). My character sheet replaced "vanguard" with "shock trooper", and the shock trooper specific stuff was in addition to whatever changes I would have in the vanguard tree by itself.

Well, it's entirely possible we have had two different experiences with the game.

I will leave it at that.

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
I became a shock trooper at some point. Don't remember what level I was at, but it didn't really change my skill tree. It just gave me new bonuses I didn't have before when I was just a plain soldier (but I still got the soldier bonuses as well if I kept putting points into the shock trooper category).

Anyway, glad you liked the game to give it an 8.5 Greg. ;)

JayDubya

Banned
BastardSamurai said:

Excellent. With that info and my trusty Google.com, I was able to find out more.

So know we know the following.

There are six of them, two each for the parent classes, and the two hybrids for each parent divide those two up.

Soldier: Shock Trooper or Commando.
Vanguard: Shock Trooper or Nemesis
Infiltrator: Commando or (Something from Engineer)
Adept: Nemesis or (Something else)
Sentinel: Well, they won't get Nemesis, because the Vanguard gets it.
Engineer: No clue.

And one class is called: Bastion. No details available... yet.

sh4mike

I read that a quest branch opens up at level 20 that allows you to specialize post-completion. Not confirmed.

Two questions:

1. So at New Game + for a specialized character, are you given the option to drop the speciality or change it? I'd hate to get locked into Shock Trooper forever if I wanted to go Commando, for example.

2. Let's say I beat the game with an Adept and subsequently unlock assault rifle achievement with Soldier. Can I add the assault rifle to my Adept (perhaps at New Game+) or would this only be available for a brand-new character?

So if
Shock Trooper is shared by Vanguards and Soldiers, does this mean that if you start as a Soldier and become a Shock Trooper, you'll have access to biotic powers at that point
?

JayDubya said:
Excellent. With that info and my trusty Google.com, I was able to find out more.

There are six of them, two each for the parent classes, and the two hybrids for each parent divide those two up.

It's so nice to see critical aspects of a game like this ACTUALLY STAY HIDDEN because people have to play them to find them. Awesome.

temp

posting on contract only
BenjaminBirdie said:
It's so nice to see critical aspects of a game like this ACTUALLY STAY HIDDEN because people have to play them to find them. Awesome.
Now I want to read the spoiler to find out what I don't know about the game.

pswii60

chespace said:
I became a shock trooper at some point. Don't remember what level I was at, but it didn't really change my skill tree. It just gave me new bonuses I didn't have before when I was just a plain soldier (but I still got the soldier bonuses as well if I kept putting points into the shock trooper category).

Anyway, glad you liked the game to give it an 8.5 Greg. ;)

Who's Greg, and where did he give it an 8.5?

Sallokin

JayDubya said:

I can tell you that as an infiltrator when I had the option to upgrade I had
Commando (enhances all weapons plus marksmanship) and Operative (enhances tech based skills like dampening, overload etc.)

JayDubya

Banned
Sallokin said:
I can tell you that as an infiltrator when I had the option to upgrade I had
Commando (enhances all weapons plus marksmanship) and Operative (enhances tech based skills like dampening, overload etc.)

Revised, then.

Infiltrator: Commando or Operative
Adept: Nemesis or Bastion
Engineer: Operative or Y (Something else)
Sentinel: Bastion or Y

Either X or Y is called Bastion.

Edit: Re-revised.

sh4mike

For Jay.

Bastion is hard-core biotic -- a dev mentioned Bastion was the only class that allowed damage in the most advance statis condition (forgot the name).

Bastion=X.

JayDubya

Banned
Cool, thanks.

Now if I only I knew about how many skill points there were and how long each tree was and what you get for maxing each tree, then I'd be rolling.

Just one thing, then... what's the difference between
Shock Trooper and Commando? The only details given so far are that both give passive weapons skill bonuses, so I'm guessing different weapon skills and sub-skills get bonuses? One gets armor / shield bonuses?

I'm tentatively planning on maxing out Assault Rifle, Armor, Fitness, and Assault Training, if that helps, with maybe a smattering of points spent on one other weapon and any other passive bonuses or weapon sub-skills that are worthwhile. I hope I'll have enough skill points to go around and get enough diplomacy.

Sallokin

JayDubya said:
Cool, thanks.

Now if I only I knew about how many skill points there were and how long each tree was and what you get for maxing each tree, then I'd be rolling.

Just one thing, then... what's the difference between
Shock Trooper and Commando? The only details given so far are that both give passive weapons skill bonuses, so I'm guessing different weapon skills and sub-skills get bonuses? One gets armor / shield bonuses?

Regarding tree length, I can't really say for sure without the game up in front of me but as you level you get 2 points per level up for your entire group until level 20ish when your team mates only get 1 point and you still continue to get 2 (that's what's happening for me at least). I don't think you get anything for maxing out a tree. I've got a few characters with electronics maxed out and aside from the incremental unlocks you get as you progress, I didn't get anything for finishing it. I'll have to look back on what the exact bonuses are for the Commando when I get off work. If you'd like I can take a few pictures of my character trees for each character and PM them to you.

dankir

BastardSamurai said:

Theres a new game + option? Sick

MC Safety said:
Maybe.

But it still reads like a viral ad.

It's nice to know that I have a career in marketing if my systems architect job falls apart. :D

I went into it completely missing the hype train. Just saying that the game won't disappoint. Sure it has flaws, but they don't matter. It's epic and most people will have a blast from start to finish.

And I picked it up on Saturday, so SORRY not quite a week

The_Dude

So, Mass Effect has been released a week early in Australia according to an EB Games e-mail! Unfortunately, I ordered the limited edition from England.

On the other hand, Assassin's Creed, which I did order here, got delayed a week.

I swear, this happens just about every bloody time to me. What I decide not to get gets released early, what I decide to get gets delayed. :/

I just hope Game in the UK get the limited edition and send it early.

Kildace

So um. The game is fun, but why does no-one mention the unskippable cutscenes, the sometimes awkward save points that make you go through 3 minutes of exposition again if you die 10 seconds into a fight, the frequent framerate drops in the city or the bugs (I had to re-do 20 minutes of fighting on a certain planet because I jumped with my mako into an ennemy and the game just said "Mission Failed" with no further information)?

I've been anticipating Mass Effect for months and while the game is awesome, these issues make it an 8.5 or a 9 tops for me and no-one mentions them, am I the only one who's bothered by them? I can forgive the famerate drops, but the rest is just poor design choices / bugs that hurt the experience and could easily have been avoided, imo.

JayDubya

Banned
Sallokin said:
Regarding tree length, I can't really say for sure without the game up in front of me but as you level you get 2 points per level up for your entire group until level 20ish when your team mates only get 1 point and you still continue to get 2 (that's what's happening for me at least). I don't think you get anything for maxing out a tree. I've got a few characters with electronics maxed out and aside from the incremental unlocks you get as you progress, I didn't get anything for finishing it.

It looks like each tree has 12 levels.

I noticed that you, like me, like to specialize the hell out of your characters. Since Ashley had 12 ranks in Assault Rifle @ L11. ;P

Also, from scrutinizing the fuck out of your video, I can now definitively tell you that Wondercon IS in fact, in February.

And some other fun facts, that may or may not be mild spoilers.

On a superficial level, wow, sniper rifles overheat super fast. And also, since you showed me all of Ashley's skills, I can kind of plan out my own soldier, assuming the prereqs are identical.

So this is everything I learned from scrutinizing your video by pausing it often and reading fine print. This is just character customization stuff, but I never know what people will whine about and call spoilers.

Ashley

Ashley is a soldier.

More ranks in weapons increase accuracy and damage. It takes 4 ranks in Pistol to unlock Shotguns. Pistol skill unlocks the Marksman ability. Shotgun skill unlocks the Carnage ability. Assault Rifle skill unlocks the Overkill ability. Sniper Rifle skill unlocks the Assassination ability.

Combat Armor unlocks heavier armors, increases damage protection, and grants the Shield Boost ability.

First Aid requires 6 ranks in Combat Armor and it increases the amount of healing you can do. This stacks, by the way, when more people have it.

Assault Training increases melee damage (!!!), increases weapons damage, and grants the Adrenaline Burst ability. YEAH, I'm maxing out this one. How does one do melee damage anyway? :D

Fitness requires 5 points in Assault Training (makes no sense based on what Bioware's character class log says, that you start with Fitness, and unlock Assault Training), and it increases health / grants the Immunity ability.

And apparently each class has its own class name as a Talent, and as you rank up in that you get bonuses. Ashley's Soldier bonuses increase health and give her limited health regen.

Garrus

Garrus: Garrus is not really an Infiltrator, he is a Turian Agent.

Turian Agents are similar to Infiltrator but not the same. They get things Infiltrators don't get, like Assault Rifle, Assault Training, and Damping, but lose Pistol, Shielding, and Fitness.

Garrus's Assault Training requires 5 points in Tactical Armor. Shielding requires 7 First Aid.

The Turian Agent class talent increases accuracy and damage with assault and sniper rifles.

I have no idea what an "ability" is, but it's not the same thing as a Talent. I'm thinking these are commands you can activate via either hotkey or the radial menu.

Tobor

Kildace said:
So um. The game is fun, but why does no-one mention the unskippable cutscenes, the sometimes awkward save points that make you go through 3 minutes of exposition again if you die 10 seconds into a fight, the frequent framerate drops in the city or the bugs (I had to re-do 20 minutes of fighting on a certain planet because I jumped with my mako into an ennemy and the game just said "Mission Failed" with no further information)?

I've been anticipating Mass Effect for months and while the game is awesome, these issues make it an 8.5 or a 9 tops for me and no-one mentions them, am I the only one who's bothered by them? I can forgive the famerate drops, but the rest is just poor design choices / bugs that hurt the experience and could easily have been avoided, imo.

Why would you want to skip the cutscenes?

It said "Mission Failed" because the Mako was damaged beyond repair. The enemy in question one hit killed you. Not a bug.

Has anyone in NYC found this game for early sale?

All the mom and pop shops I've called say it hasn't come in yet... Are the big box stores the only ones getting early stock?

Sallokin

JayDubya said:
It looks like each tree has 12 levels.

I noticed that you, like me, like to specialize the hell out of your characters. Since Ashley had 12 ranks in Assault Rifle @ L11. ;P

Also, from scrutinizing the fuck out of your video, I can now definitively tell you that Wondercon IS in fact, in February.

And some other fun facts, that may or may not be mild spoilers.

On a superficial level, wow, sniper rifles overheat super fast. And also, since you showed me all of Ashley's skills, I can kind of plan out my own soldier, assuming the prereqs are identical.

So this is everything I learned from scrutinizing your video by pausing it often and reading fine print. This is just character customization stuff, but I never know what people will whine about and call spoilers.

Ashley

Ashley is a soldier.

More ranks in weapons increase accuracy and damage. It takes 4 ranks in Pistol to unlock Shotguns. Pistol skill unlocks the Marksman ability. Shotgun skill unlocks the Carnage ability. Assault Rifle skill unlocks the Overkill ability. Sniper Rifle skill unlocks the Assassination ability.

Combat Armor unlocks heavier armors, increases damage protection, and grants the Shield Boost ability.

First Aid requires 6 ranks in Combat Armor and it increases the amount of healing you can do. This stacks, by the way, when more people have it.

Assault Training increases melee damage (!!!), increases weapons damage, and grants the Adrenaline Burst ability. YEAH, I'm maxing out this one. How does one do melee damage anyway? :D

Fitness requires 5 points in Assault Training (makes no sense based on what Bioware's character class log says, that you start with Fitness, and unlock Assault Training), and it increases health / grants the Immunity ability.

And apparently each class has its own class name as a Talent, and as you rank up in that you get bonuses. Ashley's Soldier bonuses increase health and give her limited health regen.

Garrus

Garrus: Garrus is not really an Infiltrator, he is a Turian Agent.

Turian Agents are similar to Infiltrator but not the same. They get things Infiltrators don't get, like Assault Rifle, Assault Training, and Damping, but lose Pistol, Shielding, and Fitness.

Garrus's Assault Training requires 5 points in Tactical Armor. Shielding requires 7 First Aid.

The Turian Agent class talent increases accuracy and damage with assault and sniper rifles.

I have no idea what an "ability" is, but it's not the same thing as a Talent. I'm thinking these are commands you can activate via either hotkey or the radial menu.

That all looks correct. Each party member you get, has their "job" as a talent tree. My character for example had Infiltrator which was then replaced by Commando. Abilities are pulled up using the right bumper. I also have a separate skill bar now that I"m a spectre. Here's the definition of a Commando straight from my menu

"Commando

Commandos rely on lethal efficiency and precision strikes rather than brute force to eliminate their opponents.

-Increases damage with all weapons
-Improves Immunity ability
-Improves Marksman ability
-Improves Assassination ability"

See what I took for general sniper rifles was actually two sniper abilities that get improved (both of which I use often). Furthermore the sniper overheating can be curbed by using gun mods, it still overheats quickly, but usually two shots is enough to kill any foot soldier not using immunity/shield boost. Melee is something that is done whenever you are close to an opponent, it's done with the right trigger and is essentially automatic (and handy)

Kildace

Tobor said:
Why would you want to skip the cutscenes?

It said "Mission Failed" because the Mako was damaged beyond repair. The enemy in question one hit killed you. Not a bug.

Oh, okay, that makes sense for the Mako I guess.

I want to skip the cutscenes when there's a difficult fight following a 3-4 minutes cutscene with no dialog input and dying brings me back not to the fight but to the start of the cutscene. It's just plain annoying if you die more than a couple of times.

p3tran said:
press A+X to skip dialogs/cutscenes

Oh! Well, I have no complaints about the game anymore :D

Nab

Dunno if anyone else is watching Gamespot's live broadcast right now, because that's where they debut the little "combat" trailers like the others...

They just showed the Sentinel one for the first time, I assume it'll be up on the Gamespot site in an hour or two for download/average watching, so look out for it if you're thinking of playing Sentinel like me.

I feel confident in my choice, the powers for Sentinels look good enough for me to skip the high powered weapons on my first play through. Some of the biotic powers we've already seen plus more emphasis on the throwing of those mines and making yummy explosions in Geth's faces.

I started to get a little nervous about being able to stroll into a store and pick this up at launch, so I just pre-ordered at Best Buy. You get a neat little bonus content disc for free.

S1kkZ

what about the texture reloading, how bad is it?

i heard it gets really bad after 3-4 hours (the textures reload everytime when the camera angle changes).

Kildace

S1kkZ said:
what about the texture reloading, how bad is it?

i heard it gets really bad after 3-4 hours (the textures reload everytime when the camera angle changes).

I only really notice it after I die. The rest of the time it happens but it's not that distracting at all. Didn't have that problem after 3-4 hours.

Top Bottom