• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect |OT| Alien love in an elevator

Can you control other characters in and out of combat like KOTOR? All the videos ive seen are just people using shepperd.

Also has anyone tried it on intense?

Odrion

Banned
Yeah. The soundtrack feels like they actually paid attention to it!

Best way to describe it is that it sounds a lot like The Warrior's soundtrack. Analogy stuff that really pulls off well.

Odrion

Banned
itxaka said:
BTW sometimes is really difficult to know when you are earning points from wich side are it as
on a city you get asked to smuggle a packet and you accept (bad points) but instead of smuggling it you run to the "gobernor" and report it (good points) but you asked for some money in compensation in a bad manner (bad points). I think i got good points even when I was a squealer and rude :)
That's why I hate all these stupid good/evil points in RPGs. Why can't you just have alternate events that occur due to your actions? Oh you do? Then remove that system from our games dammit, we don't need to be guided into these sorts of things.

Oh well, at least it's not as bad as Jade Empire's completely fucking pretentious "open palm/closed fist" garbage. I love how they hyped that up and the game goes through this whole explanation of it to try to tell you that it's not about good and evil but in the end the choices are STILL incredibly obvious "good/evil" choices. Rob money from a homeless blind person for 5 closed fist points whoooheeehoooo!

Roat

Banned
PA's second part:

20071116.jpg

That's one of the small things about the games, the loading. It's very similar to how they do it in KOTOR/II/Jade Empire, but they cover it better with the elevators/decon chamber

Odrion

Banned
Those elevators have some of the best dialog though.

-NOT ACCURATE DON'T WHINE ABOUT IT-
"Hey, do you guys ever talk about how your race invented a barbaric army that almost wiped out all life in the Universe?"
"I dunno, does your race ever talk about how you guys got into a senseless war that caused your entire race to become sterile?"
"....Not really."

Another thing I think is cool about the storyline is that the human race was actually really technologically advanced and as smart as all the other species of aliens. I heard way too many Sci-Fi storyline where humans are the dumb and unadvanced.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
Damn, can't deny it. I am going to buy this game. I was a little put off buy the combat system but I hope i can adjust. so my holiday weekend will be filled with AC, Mass Effect and Uncharted. Guess i will have to hold off on some psp games.

Roat

Banned
God damn. The vehicle driving is infuriating. After Halo it's weird going back to driving one where you control the vehicles direction as well as the camera instead of just going where you point it. That's fine, you get used to it, but for accelerating and reversing it they do the exact opposite - if the front of the vehicle is facing you and you pull back to reverse then it comes closer to the camera.

And then to repair it the car slows to a complete stop and sits there taking fire for 10 seconds while you watch

Roat said:
God damn. The vehicle driving is infuriating. After Halo it's weird going back to driving one where you control the vehicles direction as well as the camera instead of just going where you point it. That's fine, you get used to it, but for accelerating and reversing it they do the exact opposite - if the front of the vehicle is facing you and you pull back to reverse then it comes closer to the camera.

I know, its really freaking annoying when you wind up in reverse. I can't figure out how to do a 180.

Roat said:

And then to repair it the car slows to a complete stop and sits there taking fire for 10 seconds while you watch

Don't steer the vehicle with the left stick. Just push up to accelerate, then look with the right stick (camera). It's identical to halo controls if you use it this way.

Again, DON'T steer with the left stick. Just use it for Forward/backward.

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
Roat said:
That's one of the small things about the games, the loading. It's very similar to how they do it in KOTOR/II/Jade Empire, but they cover it better with the elevators/decon chamber
A valid nitpick considering how quickly you can warp around so it's not there to just mask loading. However once in a while it proves to be an entertaining experience. The designers used the elevator sequences as a means to have your party members interact in meaningful chat and convey background history through the loudpseaker news announcements. Those news announcements also serve as a bonus since hearing at least one of them gives you a side quest.

Odrion said:
Yeah. The soundtrack feels like they actually paid attention to it!

Best way to describe it is that it sounds a lot like The Warrior's soundtrack. Analogy stuff that really pulls off well.

The Warriors?!?! AWESOME

itxaka

Defeatist
Odrion said:
That's why I hate all these stupid good/evil points in RPGs. Why can't you just have alternate events that occur due to your actions? Oh you do? Then remove that system from our games dammit, we don't need to be guided into these sorts of things.

Oh well, at least it's not as bad as Jade Empire's completely fucking pretentious "open palm/closed fist" garbage. I love how they hyped that up and the game goes through this whole explanation of it to try to tell you that it's not about good and evil but in the end the choices are STILL incredibly obvious "good/evil" choices. Rob money from a homeless blind person for 5 closed fist points whoooheeehoooo!

Well they take they part when
you confront wrex, if you have more good points you can nicely drove him out of the conflict he caused talking sweet and if you have lots of bad points you maybe can make him retreat on their actions (didn´t try it as i didn´t have enough bad points, i just let my female companion to shoot him on the back :D )

I like this systems, it just gives you a moral choice (and you don´t always choose the bad one as supposed ;) )

Aegus

Odrion said:
Another thing I think is cool about the storyline is that the human race was actually really technologically advanced and as smart as all the other species of aliens. I heard way too many Sci-Fi storyline where humans are the dumb and unadvanced.

Yet with great potential to be the dominant or most advanced race in the Universe when we mature a bit?

Doodis

Question for those already playing:

Do you turn the conversation subtitles on or off? Part of me wants to leave them on so I don't miss anything, but the other part wants to turn them off so the game has a more cinematic feel as I watch the characters speak the dialogue.

Thoughts?

Doodis said:
Question for those already playing:

Do you turn the conversation subtitles on or off? Part of me wants to leave them on so I don't miss anything, but the other part wants to turn them off so the game has a more cinematic feel as I watch the characters speak the dialogue.

Thoughts?

I have them on for that very same reason but they really choose a poor spot to put them in. In one cutscene in was near the top and it really really got in my way. So I'll be turning them off.

slasher_thrasher21 said:
Does anyone know a way to order their teammates to heal? I cant figure it out.

I don't think there is a "heal thyself" command per se, I think you can only heal via the Y-button to use medi-gel for the whole party (or if someone is using the regeneration upgrade on their armor). I'm not sure how each character's First Aid skill factors in (I assume the FA skill only affects that one character, but it says something about "health applied to group" in the listing).

SOLDIER

I had someone tell me that it was reported that this game is only 8 hours long.

Please tell me that isn't true. How could that be possible?

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
SOLDIER said:
I had someone tell me that it was reported that this game is only 8 hours long.

Please tell me that isn't true. How could that be possible?

Yeah, and someone finished Portal in 13 minutes.

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
chespace said:
Yeah, and someone finished Portal in 13 minutes.

It was actually 18 minutes. What's with people trolling game length lately? Gears is 4 hours long dur dur & Portal is only 13 minutes long lulz!! Jesus Che, I thought of all people YOU would be above this shit.

BastardSamurai said:
I don't think there is a "heal thyself" command per se, I think you can only heal via the Y-button to use medi-gel for the whole party (or if someone is using the regeneration upgrade on their armor). I'm not sure how each character's First Aid skill factors in (I assume the FA skill only affects that one character, but it says something about "health applied to group" in the listing).

Yeah I know if I go over to someone and use the gel, but yeah just seemed at one point a team member kepy dying and I was like "Damnit just heal!" lol

Sallokin

RSTEIN said:
It was actually 18 minutes. What's with people trolling game length lately? Gears is 4 hours long dur dur & Portal is only 13 minutes long lulz!! Jesus Che, I thought of all people YOU would be above this shit.

Even if it were 8 hours long, they'd be 8 hours worth trading your first born for which is more than most games can claim. Besides, I think you're missing the point in Che's post.

Belgorim

RSTEIN said:
uhm, he wasnt trolling.

edit: oh, man, what the fuck am I doing back in this thread.

chespace

RSTEIN said:

What the fucking fuck, I was defending Mass Effect's length by basically saying you could speed run through just about any game in a ridiculously short amount of time. :lol

Took me nearly 40 hours to finish Mass... and that was in the middle of November, not a month when you can spend 40 hours on a game.

temp

posting on contract only
RSTEIN said:
dur dur

RSTEIN

chespace said:
What the fucking fuck, I was defending Mass Effect's length by basically saying you could speed run through just about any game in a ridiculously short amount of time. :lol

Took me nearly 40 hours to finish Mass... and that was in the middle of November, not a month when you can spend 40 hours on a game.

Jesus christ I was fuckin jokin people!

SOLDIER

It wasn't a troll, it was a friend who was insisting that he read this from other people who bought the game early. 8 hours for an "RPG" is absolute shit, and with a game with many varied locations and a supposedly epic story, it would be a trainwreck if it was. Xenosaga all over again.

So you can confirm it's 40 hours, without wasting time on the side quests and whatnot?

RSTEIN

Sallokin said:
I suppose that's the problem with text then :lol

Ok, to make it up to everyone, do the following:

Type "pillowpants" into Youtube. Press play on the 3 minute clip.

temp

posting on contract only
SOLDIER said:
It wasn't a troll, it was a friend who was insisting that he read this from other people who bought the game early. 8 hours for an "RPG" is absolute shit, and with a game with many varied locations and a supposedly epic story, it would be a trainwreck if it was. Xenosaga all over again.

So you can confirm it's 40 hours, without wasting time on the side quests and whatnot?
Wasting time on sidequests? Wasting.... time....?

chespace

SOLDIER said:

This shitty game is not for you. Move on.

SOLDIER

I don't mean wasting time like it isn't worth doing. I just wanted to know if it's 40 hours for doing JUST the main story, because if it's even longer including all the sidequests, so much the better.

SOLDIER said:
I don't mean wasting time like it isn't worth doing. I just wanted to know if it's 40 hours for doing JUST the main story, because if it's even longer including all the sidequests, so much the better.

You've never played a bioware game have you?

Sallokin

Regarding the length. I really feel this is a "YMMV" type of game. I mean someone like me who really digs into the sidequests and the dialog is going to get more hours out of the game by default. I don't doubt you could power through the story missions in record speed and skip all the dialog, but what would the point be? I can tell you that I'm about 16-17 hours in and I've barely done any story missions aside from the Planet Feros mission (which is one of the first missions you get when you leave the citadel at the beginning of the game). I don't doubt that I'll get at least 50+ hours on my first play through.

Odrion said:
jade empire was about... 22 hours?

Isn't Mass Effect suppose to be 30-35? If it's 40, sweet.

Jade Empire was rather short. Plus it didn't have much in the middle just the beginning and the end. But thats maybe because the end of the game is so stretched out.

VASPER

Banned
I just got word, getting MASS EFFECT TOMORROW AND DONT HAVE TO WORK YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

JayDubya

Banned
# of Talent Points confirmed by a Dev

Level 1-5: Shep 3, Squad 2
Level 6-20: Shep 2, Squad 2
Level 21-35: Shep 2, Squad 1
Level 36+: Shep 1, Squad 1

A L60 Shepard has 100 points to spend, a L60 party member has 80 points to spend. Fair enough, since the party members have (at least) three less talents to invest in.

That's plenty to spread around, but you can't max out everything.

Zzoram

I think it's more like 14 hours if you pass on the side quests and exploration, and don't fully explore the dialog trees and character backgrounds, according to Brian at 1UP. Then again, he played it more like a shooter. Jen seemed to suggest it was longer for her because she explored most of the side stuff, and developed her character's charm and intimidate so she could get more speech options and stuff. Che says it's about 40 if you do pretty much all the side stuff and explore the other planets.

One thing they all did agree on was, the dialogue is really good, the story is good, and the characters are great. Pre-order kept.

Frankly I think it'll be a good length. There's too much to play (plus, you know, our lives), I'm quite happy with 10 hour shooters and 20+ hour action RPGs. Bioshock took about 25 hours for me to beat and get all the plasmids/upgrades/diaries, and although it was great, I almost stopped playing because it was starting to get a bit long. Valve is definitely on to something, with their model of cutting the crap to concentrate all the awesome of the game into less time. I'm quite happy with shorter games of greater substance. If I wanted a game that never ends, I'd have a World of Warcraft subscription.

That said, I still miss being a kid, able to sit around doing nothing but play games all day. Back then 60 hour games were medium length to me. Now, I wouldn't have the time for a game that long.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
Nab said:
The Sentinel Combat video is now up at Gametrailers.

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/28022.html

Hurrah for Neural Shock and Overload.
There is a new video on Exploration, too.

Why is this stuff not getting put up on Marketplace, though? There have been 2 new videos a day on GameTrailers all this week, and the newest video we have on Marketplace is the TV Spot.

Microsoft should take a leaf out of Ubi's book and look what they did with GRAW; as soon as these videos hit the web, they should have been on Marketplace.

My gameclock says I finished ME after about 24 hours (I did enough sidequests to get the "Completionist" achievement), but then again, I also burned through Baldur's Gate II in around 30 hours, so maybe I'm just a freak with BioWare games.

Top Bottom