• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Massive 100-inch transparent screen set to enter production — scientists claim it will be 10 times cheaper than transparent OLEDs

Really interesting stuff. Very low on technical details though.

Excerpts:

Researchers say the screen can work both indoors and outdoors, and can be adjusted to become more or less transparent depending on user needs.

Scientists have devised a new approach to making large, transparent screens at low cost — and they hope it could lead to more affordable transparent TVs in the near future.

Using a new kind of film material, scientists have developed a 100-inch nano transparent screen (NTS) that is as thin as a human hair and capable of showing detailed images with a high degree of color and light clarity.

In addition to its light and flexible appearance, the panel's transparency can be adjusted — with the screen capable of showing the most detail when at its most opaque. It is also highly reflective to targeted light, producing clear images when hit with a beam from a powerful projector, and has a lossless 170-degree viewing angle on either side.

Purchasing conventional transparent OLED screens would cost KRW 100 million (approximately $72,000), the researchers added. But their new panel would cost just one-tenth of that figure. That's because the manufacturing process is easy to replicate due to its relative simplicity, they claimed. It can already be replicated in existing manufacturing conditions and is highly resistant to extreme heat and cold — meaning it can be used indoors and outdoors.

Full article: https://www.livescience.com/technol...o-enter-production-10-times-cheaper-than-oled

Deerock71

keanu reeves woah face GIF

Mr.Phoenix

So is this a projector screen? Is this the projection breakthrough I have been waiting for?

I have been burned too many times with this new screen tech breakthrough stuff that I am just gonna take a I'll believe it when I see it.

Furthermore, for new tech, they sure have gone about showing it off in a suspect way.

MarkMe2525

Gold Member
"Scientists claim it will be 10 times cheaper" I wouldn't hold my breath waiting on these manufactures to pass these savings onto the customers.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Untitled-1-777x422.jpg

City goers are use to seeing big screens, having 100 inch personal screen would be fascinating.

Sgt.Asher

Sounds like the display reflects light instead of generating the light. Interesting if it works how i think it does.

Read it again, it's a projector screen that can change opacity. Meh

Last edited:

Mr.Phoenix

Untitled-1-777x422.jpg

City goers are use to seeing big screens, having 100 inch personal screen would be fascinating.
You know you can get a 100" 4K TV for under $2500 right?
Sounds like the display reflects light instead of generating the light. Interesting if it works how i think it does.
I swear... everything projectors seems to be a reenactment of the modern-day snake oil salesman fiasco. Lots of lofty promises and blatant misinformation that always end up being a load of nonsense.

From my experience, any truly remarkable tech, would be easily and clearly shown off. So whenever I see some new tech with very sparse information or cryptic claims... I become skeptical.

Eg... if this tech is what it says it is, then the best way to display it first and foremost, would be with a solid black backing layer, show it off as how it would be expected to be used by the majority of people, and show off why its better than every ALR projection screen on the market. But what does a transparent highly reflective projection screen even mean? Like just say what the tech is and show demos of the damn thing.

It reminds me of the whole "carbon black" projection screen that made the rounds a while back promising everything and ended up being just another grey screen.

Yes... this kinda shit triggers me.

Finally I can buy a big screen direct view TV that is shipped rolled up in a tube, that people with tiny hatchback cars can go to the store and take it home.

Mr.Phoenix

yeah but its from TCL or weirdo amazon-only brands like GTUOXIES.
not going to be good quality.
Its also from Hisense... and unless you have been living under a rock, RCL and Hisense make pretty darn good TVs.

That aside, its also about what the alternative is. I have a UST paired toa 120" ALR screen. All in, the UST and the screen cost me well over $5k.

And I will tell you now, the picture quality that that sub $2500 100 inch Hisense TV, along with it being 144hz (vs my 60hz projector) and having true 4K will give you, is 100 times better than anything you can get from a projector. And that comes down to the fact that projector screens just suck, and only really truly shines in light-controlled environments.

I for one know that when next I am buying a big TV... if there hasn't been some sort of breakthrough screen tech in projectors? I am going with an LCD TV.

Top Bottom