• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Massive object found in Milky Way center

There are a lot of things in the universe that routinely stump scientists trying to understand how everything in it works. And joining the long list is OGLE-2016-BLG-1190Lb, a planetary object so massive the team behind its discovery isn’t even sure if it is a gigantic planet or a failed star.

The planet itself has a mass equivalent to about 13.4 times that of Jupiter, and it orbits its host star approximately every 3 years at a distance of 2 AU (one astronomical unit is the distance between the sun and Earth, roughly 150 million kilometers or 92 million miles). The star, OGLE-2016-BLG-1190L, is a G dwarf with only about 0.89 solar masses, or less than a tenth of the sun.

The mass of the planet places it almost exactly at the conventional boundary that separates planets from brown dwarfs, and this is why scientists cannot determine whether it is, in fact, a planet that was born out of the disk around its host star or if it is a low-mass failed star.

More at the link

Kimawolf

imgres

Mohonky

Norhing out there is all that surprising to me as far as mass and numbers are concerned these days.

There´s only one way to find out.

Lieutenant, ENGAGE.

I wish, meanwhile we are stuck here with crazy nuke people

when's ICON going to release their s5 spaceship prototype? i know where i'm taking mine, on a low flight straight to find out what it is

DiscoJer

Is this that big a mystery?

You have planets you are balls of hydrogen. You have stars that are balls of hydrogen. There's a dividing line based on mass - if it's massive enough you get fusion and thus it's a star. If it's not, you don't.

Obviously there are going to be objects right at the dividing line.

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
Meh this is cool but we wont get to see it and learn about it in our lifetimes,
Being a millennial sucks because we are on the cusp of great things but the millennias will die when things start getting really cray.

Meh this is cool but we wont get to see it and learn about it in our lifetimes,
Being a millennial sucks because we are on the cusp of great things but the millennias will die when things start getting really cray.

Sure, but it think of all the cool things we get to enjoy now that previous generations did not.

Leyasu

Banned
Is it the salt from the former members who made such a fuss about their leaving despite no one actually caring?

You don't have to lick anyone's arse. They need every member nowadays, so are less banhappy. You'll easily become a member of a hollowed out former large community.

Top Bottom