• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MasterChef (US) - Gordon Ramsay, Graham Elliot, Lex Luthor, and lots of crying.

benjipwns

Banned
ig7Zf.png

jSSUi.png

Network: FOX
Time: Mondays at 9PM and Tuesdays at 9PM EST
Judges: Gordon Ramsay, Graham Elliot, Joe Bastianich

Season Two Premiere
Part One: Monday, June 6th at 8PM EST
Part Two: Tuesday, June 7th at 8PM EST
Part Three: Monday June 13th at 9PM EST
Part Four: Tuesday, June 14th at 8PM EST
(The actual standard elimination doesn't start until the fifth episode.)

Lex Luthor lmao. I crack up every time Joe tastes the dish, looks up with his poker face, maintains eye contact for a second and then turns around and walks away :lol

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
Atleast they aren't taking the Australian approach and putting it on 6 days a week.

benjipwns

Banned
I love how they're trying to sell each other on these people. And Ramsay's face when Graham vouched for the guy. :lol

Jafku

Dynamite Ringo Matsuri said:
Lex Luthor lmao. I crack up every time Joe tastes the dish, looks up with his poker face, maintains eye contact for a second and then turns around and walks away :lol
:lol He always has this "are you bringing this shit in here?" face :lol

Ahh Ramsay's bringing his egg challenge in the next ep. I remember on one of his UK shows he mentioned that the easiest way to tell whether or not someone can cook is to have them make an egg.

bozeman

SolidSnakex said:
Ahh Ramsay's bringing his egg challenge in the next ep. I remember on one of his UK shows he mentioned that the easiest way to tell whether or not someone can cook is to have them make an egg.

He did it on this season's Hell's Kitchen, too.

DaveH

The British version is clinical with cold and cutting critiques and bastard judges who only crack smiles at the expense of the contestants... and you love them for it. The contestants are all business, coming in only for the challenges and returning to their ordinary lives otherwise... the show is just test after test with the growth of the challengers occurring off screen, on their own time, if any at all.

The AU version is exceedingly warm, fuzzy, and full of heart where the judges are mentors and cheerleaders for the contestants who all come to comrades and friends through the intense culinary boot camp. The contestants seem like normal humble people who come out of their shells and into their skills through the course of the competition. It's heart-warming, tear jerking, and awe-inspiring but takes nearly 80 episodes to get its point across.

The US version seems like a terrible combination of the worst of both. Any semblance of professionalism from the British version is destroyed by Ramsey's artificial attempts to inject heart or drama and bullying the other judges into having his way. On the other hand, the heart is slain by having cruel judges and- again- batsh*t insane Ramsey who can go off at any minute in a rage- plus the genuine nature is tempered by the shorter format and forced drama.

That said... it looks miles better than "Jerry Springer with cooks" Hell's Kitchen. The format seems closer to the AU version (which seems closer to American tastes) and if they can avoid some of the shenanigans of the AU version it could at least be a contender amongst serial competition food TV.

DaveH

Man, they even ripped off the "ethnic challenge" from Series 1 of the AU version... during the trials they sent back Poh to cook something ethnically authentic rather than poncy and she became a force in the competition... I wouldn't be surprised if the producers made Ramsey watch the AU version and said, "Make those moments happen."

Minamu

I kinda like the first half of each Idol season so I'm gonna continue to watch this as long as I can stand it :S

ant_

not characteristic of ants at all
Just watched the first episode of this on Hulu, and I'm liking it a lot so far. For some reason, cooking reality shows are much more addicting than any other

Whoo Faruuq is through. I liked the other girl too though, this show is evil giving these people with their humble backgrounds and crushing their dreams in seconds :l Yes Asian dude is through at least!

Top Bottom