• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MasterChef (US) - Gordon Ramsay, Graham Elliot, Lex Luthor, and lots of crying.

xbhaskarx

MisterNugNug said:
Fuckin Hell.

How many times are they gonna show the bald judge approach the plate of food. Take a fucking bite. Stare at the contestant, THEN TURN AROUND AND WALK AWAY. WHAT THE FUCK?
:lol
I think he's supposed to be the "bad guy" but he doesn't realize that you're actually supposed to yell at people and criticize their food until they cry.

Narag

xbhaskarx said:
I think he's supposed to be the "bad guy" but he doesn't realize that you're actually supposed to yell at people and criticize their food until they cry.

I get the feeling he's supposed to come across as a caricature of upper class and he's not about to dignify people with replies.

benjipwns

Banned
I wish they'd extend the critiques because the few times they've let him (or say, all of them) speak it's been solid critique, even I got tired of Orange Chicken. Really the more they let them speak on a dish the more reasonable it's seemed to who they let through and who they kick out.

I do like the stare though, it's better than the complete recap on both sides of each commercial break. Even Hell's Kitchen doesn't recap as much as this does. Plus you know that stare is going to cause the one guy to cry at some point.

I would certainly prefer if that stare and turn was accompanied with Gordon and Graham critiquing every dish. It'd be one thing if they agreed, but they clearly don't and showing just one of them most of the time isn't working. There seemed to be disagreement on the military thing tonight and I would have liked to see that whole finishing service vs. quality debate among the judges more than time spent on the taste test and recaps especially since it was a legitimate debate.

Will still watch this season though as it's good enough. I'd say I'm hopeful for improvements in season two, but like...Hell's Kitchen.

I think Joe's pretty much a culinary zero who owes everything to his amazing mom, Lidia.

This show's just unwatchable for all the manufactured drama of it, regardless. It's sickening, and I've watched a fair amount of Hell's Kitchen a couple seasons back, too.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
benjipwns said:
I do like the stare though, it's better than the complete recap on both sides of each commercial break. Even Hell's Kitchen doesn't recap as much as this does. Plus you know that stare is going to cause the one guy to cry at some point.

Hell's Kitchen is worse, actually, IMO.

benjipwns

Banned
I thought they had cut down to 30 second recaps sometimes with different cuts, MasterChef is still throwing down the two minute recaps of literally the same exact cut.
slidewinder said:
I think Joe's pretty much a culinary zero who owes everything to his amazing mom, Lidia.

This show's just unwatchable for all the manufactured drama of it, regardless. It's sickening, and I've watched a fair amount of Hell's Kitchen a couple seasons back, too.
It's FOX, the same network that absolutely destroyed Kitchen Nightmares and made a mockery of the Hell's Kitchen concept. The fact that MasterChef has been somewhat respectable instead of a complete farce is really the shocking thing.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
MisterNugNug said:
Fuckin Hell.

How many times are they gonna show the bald judge approach the plate of food. Take a fucking bite. Stare at the contestant, THEN TURN AROUND AND WALK AWAY. WHAT THE FUCK?

It's just comical now.

Krowley

Top Chef just kills this show. I'm enjoying this to some extent (mostly as a parody of itself) but top chef is in a different league in every way except for budget.

Yea, but last season of Top Chef was so amazing, and this season I am watching it just for the sake of watching Top Chef.

None of the food being cooked excites me on it this season, frankly, its more fun just seeing all the Top Chef master contestants come back as judges.

xbhaskarx said:

At least Gordon and the other chef mix things up. I mean fuck. They nod their head. Grimace. Maybe make a comment. Wipe their mouths. In Gordon's case, discard the contents of a tomato cup and actually spit food into it. I like the variety.

Krowley

MisterNugNug said:
At least Gordon and the other chef mix things up. I mean fuck. They nod their head. Grimace. Maybe make a comment. Wipe their mouths. In Gordon's case, discard the contents of a tomato cup and actually spit food into it. I like the variety.

To me, Ramsay acts like he's taking uppers or something. I'm not familiar with his other show, but on this he acts like a lunatic.

Narag

Krowley said:
To me, Ramsay acts like he's taking uppers or something. I'm not familiar with his other show, but on this he acts like a lunatic.

Lunatic Ramsay better decribes how he was on the Leno repeat I watched tonight. He was like a nervous 12 year old on there, sprayed Leno's hair with PAM spray, kept hitting on the other guest, could not stop laughing, and was rather hilarious in his own right.

I really don't know much about him but he seems like someone completely different when not on the job. I remember an episode of TMZ where his handler was utterly pissed at him for putting them behind schedule wihle he was taking care to sign autographs for each of a gathering of fans around him.

Krowley

I like that he helps the other chefs when they have problems. That's one big difference between this and top chef. These people are really beginners, and Ramsay seems like the kind of guy that likes to teach, so that's a good thing, even if he is a little bit crazy.

JDeluis

Narag said:
Lunatic Ramsay better decribes how he was on the Leno repeat I watched tonight. He was like a nervous 12 year old on there, sprayed Leno's hair with PAM spray, kept hitting on the other guest, could not stop laughing, and was rather hilarious in his own right.

I really don't know much about him but he seems like someone completely different when not on the job. I remember an episode of TMZ where his handler was utterly pissed at him for putting them behind schedule wihle he was taking care to sign autographs for each of a gathering of fans around him.

You need to watch some of the episodes of BBC Ramsay's Kitchen Nightmares (UK Episodes)
http://www.bbcamerica.com/content/154/index.jsp

He is a totally different person on the BBC Version. It's also a much better show than the one shown by Fox.

Narag

I'd like to sometime and likely will. Seems Fox plays up his aggressive persona when he is just rather passionate about his work.

MisterNugNug said:
Fuckin Hell.

This is the best part about this show! And Whitney. She's aight

benjipwns

Banned
Narag said:
I'd like to sometime and likely will. Seems Fox plays up his aggressive persona when he is just rather passionate about his work.
That's not the worst thing FOX does to Kitchen Nightmares. The BBC show, which I had seen back when it started which totally ruined the FOX version for me, is far more subdued and more about making the business viable. Ramsay rarely throws fits and kicks things, almost never, he shows more of just a disappointment when they fail. The show is also more focused on what is causing the business to not reach its potential. The FOX version by contrast is far more focused on the families that run the businesses and the drama that result from their own personal issues plus Ramsay telling them they fail and them going into denial about it.

With the BBC version you get more of a sense that Ramsay is trying to place the restaurant so it can be financially viable, but the FOX show is all about him managing the family so they can survive another few weeks before they go out of business like 95% of them do. He's actually saved some on the BBC show.

We won't even talk about the edits, the cuts, the staging, the tone, etc. BBC version of Ramsay seems more like the cameras are just there to capture it, on FOX he's a character who has to show you THINGS YOU HAVE NEVER SEEN BEFORE.

I don't know if you need to do that for the U.S., you might since The Chopping Block bombed despite it being pretty standard Marco Pierre White. The quieter judging with some encouragement style might not play as well as screaming and kicking trash cans. At least Ramsay is getting to do more of the former on MasterChef.

I'm liking MasterChef a lot more than I thought I would, but Ramsay is still playing it up a little compared to Boiling Point, F Word, BBC Kitchen Nightmares, etc. They've even got Graham doing it even if he seems most similar to how he appeared absent the drama on Top Chef Masters. Joe, well, I kinda made that obvious in the thread title. (Even if I love it.)

If you're interested in a bit more "normal at-home" Ramsay, he did a DVD to his one cookbook, I posted one recipe earlier, but he has a number of them, a few links of just him cooking from that DVD:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dU_B3QNu_Ks
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iEXHl2xB6D0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eM35Zq9BxFM
Ramsay seems like the kind of guy that likes to teach
On almost every Hell's Kitchen season from the very start he's kept around someone "worse" who can't win but was improving every week. From what he shows on other shows he does have a big soft spot for someone really trying and learning even if they won't ever have the talent to make it big.

benjipwns

Banned
Sharone is like the Kenny of this show. I'm waiting for the first "alpha male" from him.
KibblesBits said:
So wow, there's going to be another season of Hell's Kitchen in September. Is it just me or is that a bit soon?
Not you, I think everyone agreed on that when it was first posted.

Tamanon

Banned
SolidSnakex said:
Why doesn't anyone pick Sharone? Even if he's arrogant he still knows how to cook.

I'm thinking it might actually be a producer thing. They're building the Jake/Sharone rivalry for the finals.

i like how there is more camaraderie on master chef. way better the hells kitchen for me. it seems like almost everyone likes jake they always clap for him during the challenges

KibblesBits said:
So wow, there's going to be another season of Hell's Kitchen in September. Is it just me or is that a bit soon?

it is but fox's attitude toward the show is keep busting them out as long as it gets good enough ratings. im sure its not that expensive of a show to put on. it seems like they almost always have a gordon show on now if its not hells kitchen its master chef or kitchen confidential. with his success in the UK these fox shows might have a better life outside of the US as well

Tamanon said:
I'm thinking it might actually be a producer thing. They're building the Jake/Sharone rivalry for the finals.

Yeah, it just seems seems weird that teams have been picked twice and he hasn't been picked by anyone. The first time around his team would've won had they made enough food and it looks like his team is going to win this time. The guy definitely knows what he's doing.

Seth C

Really Jake, 11? I identified all of those just watching through the TV! And I'm damned sure I saw morel mushrooms up there, sinfully ugly as they are.

Grzi

Why don't they ever show Lee doing anything, they never showed his dishes being judged, hell, I think thes last 2 episodes ewre the first time he ever spoke to the camera. Could they be saving his moments for the finale?

I'm pretty sure that Joe wants to fuck Whitney. The only time that dude ever talks/give compliments/doesn't stare awkwardly at a contestant is when it's Whitney. He's hittin' that after the show, guaranteed.

S1lent

benjipwns said:
Sharone is like the Kenny of this show. I'm waiting for the first "alpha male" from him.

Wow, you called it!

KingOfKong said:
I'm pretty sure that Joe wants to fuck Whitney. The only time that dude ever talks/give compliments/doesn't stare awkwardly at a contestant is when it's Whitney. He's hittin' that after the show, guaranteed.

Can you blame the guy? :lol

I know Slim isn't going to make it far, but I was happy to see her survive the episode. Something about her is damn cute. Her, Whitney, and the brewing rivalry between Jake and Sharone are what's keeping me watching.

Zoe

I'm so conflicted. I knew nothing about Gordon Ramsey aside from him screaming at people in Hell's Kitchen commercials, but here he is hugging contestants and offering to help them complete their tasks :lol :lol :lol

Gaborn

KibblesBits said:
Really Sheetal?

She's a Hindu, if you're a Hindu you generally don't believe in killing living things basically because of your belief in reincarnation. I know that GAF is strongly atheist but anyone who spent any time at all in a comparative religion class (or took even the most basic interest in the subject) would be aware of this.

Gaborn said:
She's a Hindu, if you're a Hindu you generally don't believe in killing living things basically because of your belief in reincarnation. I know that GAF is strongly atheist but anyone who spent any time at all in a comparative religion class (or took even the most basic interest in the subject) would be aware of this.

I am aware of her religion. What I don't understand is why she is on a cooking show where she may need to do something like boil some live shellfish.

But thanks for the schooling I didn't need.

Gaborn

KibblesBits said:
I am aware of her religion. What I don't understand is why she is on a cooking show where she may need to do something like boil some live shellfish.

But thanks for the schooling I didn't need.

I'm guessing she didn't even think of it. She probably just never cooked with crab much before and thus wouldn't consider having to deal with killing them live.

benjipwns

Banned
The phrase "[best] in the history of MasterChef" doesn't have all that much praise to it in, what, the fourth episode.

Jafku

Wow... Slim completely fucked herself. Gordon was giving her another chance and she completely threw that out the window.

Gaborn

DrForester said:
Hour behind here.

I understand the Hindu faith, but she HAS cooked with meat at some point by now, right?

I believe it's the difference between killing something, and using what's already been killed so it doesn't go to waste.

Top Bottom