• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Max Payne 3 |OT| Funny as hell, we couldn't decide on a sub-title

-Mikey-

This is a bit unrelated but I'm sure there are some HEALTH fans here. Did they ever announce when they would release the ost on cd and vinyl? I'm sure I read somewhere that it was going to happen.

TBH, the total price of the map packs will end up being around $40, while the pass is $30. That's not including the minor stuff like the MP1 skin and other pre-order bonuses you get if you have the pass.

undrtakr900

IS it just me or are there not that many people playing MP3 online(x360 version)??

On the "current players" list it only shows a few people online in a given gamemode, ranging from 2-50 players at the most. The Free Aim mode is even worst, barely reaching 0-20 per mode. So many times I would join only to become the host(no players) or join a lobby with 1-2 others.

I'm currently renting it on my Blockbusters pass and was thinking about buying it because I'm digging the multiplayer(when it has players) but I'm worried its not going to have legs or be as popular. I would hate to buy it and not have anyone to play with or not have anyone in the game modes I like to play.

Dibbz

I don't think I'm going to buy a season pass again. It is a really dumb decision in retrospect.

I'm honestly floored, in a bad way, with what Rockstar is doing. They originally advertised 5 packs for June and the summer of 2012, and 2 for the fall. 7 packs total. That info convinces me to buy the pass. First, the June DLC gets delayed to early July (local justice). Next, unbelievably, one of the advertised 7 packs is FREE DLC coming later this August. Unreal. And last, the rest of the packs arent coming out until Sep/Oct.

I'm done with season passes no matter how much I love the core game. I love Max Payne but hey I liked Gears 3 too and that season pass ending up being a bit of a disappointment too (no DLC playlists for horde, making your maps useless for a horde player like me).

It's worse than you think. The last two packs have been dissolved and the content will be spread into the other packs. To me it sounds like they are cutting content out of those packs and therefore are left with not much in them individually. It's been a mess so far.

The previously announced "New York Minute" co-op pack and "Trickle Down Economics" map pack have been cannibalized by the other packs, their content spread out between the three remaining releases.

Source

Con_Smith

Banned
Kind of sucks I never got a chance to play with some gaffers online. Played with another clan last night and never realized that clan battles actually happen during the session you play. Having an objective (kill members of opposing clan to fill a bar first) while trying to complete the objectives in gang wars was actually a really cool thing that I'm kind of pissed I missed on.

Other than that I'm still enjoying the game. Sucks the game didn't sell as much as T2 hoped but I'm starting to see alot more people come in now that the game has gotten cheaper. While I wish they did more to expediate the map packs launching and fixing the cheaters still getting into regular games, I'm glad they atleast still support the community some what.

IS it just me or are there not that many people playing MP3 online(x360 version)??

On the "current players" list it only shows a few people online in a given gamemode, ranging from 2-50 players at the most. The Free Aim mode is even worst, barely reaching 0-20 per mode. So many times I would join only to become the host(no players) or join a lobby with 1-2 others.

I'm currently renting it on my Blockbusters pass and was thinking about buying it because I'm digging the multiplayer(when it has players) but I'm worried its not going to have legs or be as popular. I would hate to buy it and not have anyone to play with or not have anyone in the game modes I like to play.

Yeah player count is often small overall, and more so for good mode free aim. I'd expect it to drop even more during the coming months. Considering how fun it can be, it's really unfortunate. Another reason the soft/free aim split was a terrible decision.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
Started playing this yesterday and I'm really not liking it so far. The aiming on the 360 feels sluggish even with acceleration and sensitivity up. It's a bitch to play with free aim given the tiny reticule size (the reticule would be perfect for the PC version); it feels awkward playing with a gamepad.

Voice acting is great, Rockstar does a good job picking their VAs. The cutscenes though... I dunno. They could title the game "Fat Alcoholic Complains A Lot: The Shooter."

willooi

It's worse than you think. The last two packs have been dissolved and the content will be spread into the other packs. To me it sounds like they are cutting content out of those packs and therefore are left with not much in them individually. It's been a mess so far.

My impression is that they're making the packs more substantial and hence more attractive to lure people into purchasing them, rather than a more frequent but less substantial drip of content. Going by anecdotal evidence and judging by the sheer amount of times that the majority of people in a lobby drop out whenever the new Local Justice maps win the votes - I don't think the pack sold as well as expected (which also goes for the game itself).

The first Local Justice DLC's normal price was 640 MS Points/$7.99 PSN, whereas the upcoming 'consolidated' packs will be 800 MS Points/$9.99 PSN, so my bet is that they're aiming for more content at a slightly higher price point rather than less content for lower prices.

Original plan: 7 packs for 640 MS/$7.99 = 4480 MS/$55.93. [Obviously I might be wrong here - some packs may have been offered for cheaper - I guess we'll never know]

New plan: 1 pack for 640 MS/$7.99 + 1 free pack + 3 remaining for 800 MS/$9.99 = 3040 MS/$37.96. None of these calculations include the extra weapons/bursts/characters.

So yeah, Rockstar Pass purchasers ($30) still save money but less than they may have expected to, and perhaps Rockstar are willing to take a loss if it means they sell more DLC to keep the online community active.

A further inkling is that the shutdown of the Rockstar Vancouver studio has caused a bit of disarray behind the scenes, resulting in or at least contributing to these delays in DLC releases where even the 'to be expected' additions of DLC item/weapon stats to the stat-tracking on the Social Club website haven't been applied, not to mention that 'customise loadouts online' feature that still looks a while away from proper implementation.

I'm just disappointed that the co-op New York Minute mode has been pushed back til October - was really looking forward to some more variety in online gameplay.

undrtakr900

Yeah player count is often small overall, and more so for good mode free aim. I'd expect it to drop even more during the coming months. Considering how fun it can be, it's really unfortunate. Another reason the soft/free aim split was a terrible decision.
No you were right free aim is the "good mode". I hate playing soft aim because it becomes a game of whoever shoots first wins, since you can lock-on halfway across the map. The manual states to roll/jumpdodge to break a lock, but its redundant since you're vulnerable during those animations and wind up dying anyways.

But I'm still confused because for May it was the second best selling game of May with 440K units sold. Wondering what happened to all the people, was it more popular online in May/June?
I'm just disappointed that the co-op New York Minute mode has been pushed back til October - was really looking forward to some more variety in online gameplay.
Really?? Dam that sucks I was really looking forward to it, by the time they finally release it I don't think there's gonna be much people left to play..

So I picked this up during a sale on pc. Got to chapter 5 or so, and i'm having a hard time figuring out what the game is asking for me.

Playing on normal, am i suppose to be dying every few min? I've been mostly playing it as a cover based shooter after realizing that diving is quite finicky (why can't i just clip into a wall like a normal game dude :p), and pop bullet time when i can.

But I rarely see any painkillers, and Payne isn't the agilest guy around.

Any general tips or anything to help me out?

So I picked this up during a sale on pc. Got to chapter 5 or so, and i'm having a hard time figuring out what the game is asking for me.

Playing on normal, am i suppose to be dying every few min? I've been mostly playing it as a cover based shooter after realizing that diving is quite finicky (why can't i just clip into a wall like a normal game dude :p), and pop bullet time when i can.

Diving is way more physical and risky this time around. Get in cover briefly to plan your attacks, and dive with precision. Don't just jump every which way because you can. Remember that you can activate bullet time on the run which makes you almost untouchable running to the left or right. Also, you can slo-mo dive even when your bullet time gauge is empty.

There are enough painkillers. Look around. Desks, tables, bathrooms, in the medical things, etc. And if you die continuously at one checkpoint, you'll even start to get "free" painkillers to help you brute force the section.

Take advantage of the great body physics. You don't always have to waste valuable seconds lining up a headshot since the enemies react to everything. Hit them in the (unarmored) arms, hands, crotch area, legs and feet if you have a shot. Even if they don't die right away, they might stumble, fall, or even accidentally shoot their partners.

In the end you'll quickly realize that you DO NOT have to play this like a cover shooter to avoid dying. I actually find that I get shot MORE trying to hide in cover than I do going crazy.

Wont read too much of this thread (spoilers), but goddam this game is amazing (playing on PC on my new comp). I don't get why there is so much negativity around it, I guess the story isn't in the same vein/feel as Max 1 & 2. But it feels so damn polished and slick, love it.

I do say that the shooting doesn't have as much punch as Max Payne 2 (played it recently), I think it has to do w/ the sound of the shots in mp2 and the ragdoll. Mp3 feels a bit softer, not as satisfying.

Also, my audio is kind of shit. The sound effects are a bit muddled and the voices are fairly light, yet Max's voice over is really loud... is there a way to turn down his voice over? Anyone else have this prob?

Is there a mod or a way to mod the shots to have more punch? Bump up that treble/volume

Amagon

Started replaying the single player on Hard using mouse + keyboard (beat it on Normal using 360 pad) and gawddamn. This game is a bitch to play, lol. I'm thinking of replaying back on normal again just so I won't spend double the time beating the game.

MMaRsu

Started replaying the single player on Hard using mouse + keyboard (beat it on Normal using 360 pad) and gawddamn. This game is a bitch to play, lol. I'm thinking of replaying back on normal again just so I won't spend double the time beating the game.

It was much easier the second time on hard because I knew the encounters :p.

undrtakr900

That's the problem Max Payne isn't a good cover shooter, its much better (and easier) to play as a BulletTime shooter. I normally only go in cover to get a feel for the enemy locations, then I use my bullettime/shootdodge to take them all out. If you go for headshots during your bullettime you can quickly take out 3+ enemies before your meter runs out. If you shootdodge, stay on the floor and take out any remaining nearby enemies you missed.

Like Net_Wrecker said, I survived more times diving headfirst into a group of enemies than trying to use cover, to which I usually get flanked.

Another tactic if you're low on health or outgunned, is to use blind-fire with the Shottie. As the enemies start to flank and get close 1-2 blast from the shottie will take them out in. It's also a great way to build up your bullettime meter without exposing yourself.

>> One note about your health, if your Max Payne silhouette damage meter is almost completely filled, don't immediately use a pain pill. If you wait a bit the health will slowly go down until it reaches the bottom of his neck, then use the pills.

The Game

I am constantly annoyed with flashing lights during cutscenes, at this point I just want to finish game and be done with it, at chapter 12 atm playing on pc.

Nowhere near as fun as original 2 games, really miss old games.

MormaPope

Banned
Man, thinking about it I've played Max Payne 3 the same amount of time as my playthroughs of Mass Effect 2&3 combined. On the social club it says I've played about 50 hours worth.

Beat it on Normal, Hard, Hardcore, and Old School. Cleared every stage in score attack and new york minute, and I'm in the process of beating the game on new york minute hardcore. I also got to level 50 and prestiged in multiplayer.

So essentially that's 7 or 8 playthroughs, Max Payne 3 has had insane replayability for me.

There's also free DLC for everyone coming out this month, it also adds different play modes for score attack.

KalBalboa

Banned
Man, thinking about it I've played Max Payne 3 the same amount of time as my playthroughs of Mass Effect 2&3 combined. On the social club it says I've played about 50 hours worth.

Beat it on Normal, Hard, Hardcore, and Old School. Cleared every stage in score attack and new york minute, and I'm in the process of beating the game on new york minute hardcore. I also got to level 50 and prestiged in multiplayer.

So essentially that's 7 or 8 playthroughs, Max Payne 3 has had insane replayability for me.

There's also free DLC for everyone coming out this month, it also adds different play modes for score attack.

I just finished my second play through. You've shamed me. Looks like I'll be hitting New York minute next.

hmmm... played up to about the part after the strip club scene. Is it just me or do I feel kinda dumb playing this?

Like i have no clue wtf is going on. It doesn't help that Max is constantly commenting on how shit is insane, and how he really has no clue what's going on.

I don't even know why i'm just shooting random people in their backyard now. I don't recall max actually doing any detective work in 1 or 2, but... for such a linear and scripted game, why do i feel more confused than your typical super open world western rpg?

At least shooting is pretty dope. Playing this after playing some Uncharted 3 is quite night and day. Guns could sound more impactful though.

And I really do wish there is a more elegant way to take out dudes charging at you when you are behind cover. I feel like a lot of shooters have some sort of melee move for this. Blind firing seems to work best here.

I really do wish diving is more useful. If i dive 'close range' i tend to take a lot of bullets, and the whole physics behind it, could... be more lenient.

Am I the only one that loved the whole bullet time 2.0 of 2 in which the game slows down more you kill dudes? Is a damn shame that didn't carry over. Do you even get any bar back while killing dudes in slow mo?

willooi

hmmm... played up to about the part after the strip club scene. Is it just me or do I feel kinda dumb playing this?

Like i have no clue wtf is going on. It doesn't help that Max is constantly commenting on how shit is insane, and how he really has no clue what's going on.

I don't even know why i'm just shooting random people in their backyard now. I don't recall max actually doing any detective work in 1 or 2, but... for such a linear and scripted game, why do i feel more confused than your typical super open world western rpg?

As far as the story goes, it's probably best summed up in the dialogue between Max and Passos when they're on the boat to the docks and Max asks what the go is between the Cracha Preto and Comando Sombra:

"You're not supposed to follow it"

I don't blame you really, for me the story takes an immediate nose-dive once you're on the second disc/after Max shaves his head, and never recovers. It's a shame because it started out with a lot of promise. Several of us have tried to piece everything together over on the spoilers thread (spoilers, obviously), but it still isn't very satisfactory.

Even Max's haircut makes no sense (what's it for - a disguise? A Breaking Bad moment? - neither really works), because as even he alludes to, he hardly blends in being the only American roaming around the favelas with a loud Hawaiian shirt on. Sadly I think it's just a case of the creative leads being fans of City of God/Tropa De Elite and deciding first and foremost to set the game there, and shoehorning a wannabe-"Max finds himself in a conspiracy far greater than he imagined" story into it.

undrtakr900

And I really do wish there is a more elegant way to take out dudes charging at you when you are behind cover. I feel like a lot of shooters have some sort of melee move for this. Blind firing seems to work best here.

I really do wish diving is more useful. If i dive 'close range' i tend to take a lot of bullets, and the whole physics behind it, could... be more lenient.

Am I the only one that loved the whole bullet time 2.0 of 2 in which the game slows down more you kill dudes? Is a damn shame that didn't carry over. Do you even get any bar back while killing dudes in slow mo?
I'm replaying Max Payne 2 right now and I agree, I actually like MP2 gameplay mechanics more than MP3. Max Payne is best in bullet time which is why I loved that MP2 had a auto-recharging bullet-time meter. I would have gladly traded the entire cover system in MP3 for an auto-recharge meter. Even better if it had both and gave the option/mode to turn it off for achievements or something.

MMaRsu

Am I the only one that loved the whole bullet time 2.0 of 2 in which the game slows down more you kill dudes?

That's still in, sorta. If you do a few constant headshots in a row while walking around in bullettime time will slow down more.

Fjordson

I wasn't bothered by that change from 2 since here you can shoot dodge even when your meter is empty. I guess it depends on one's playstyle, but in all three games I rarely used bullet-time unless I was diving so this wasn't much different from the first two in that regard.

Well shoot dodge always felt more like a cool thing for screenshots and not that useful for gameplay.

And just to be clear, a guy is dead when you see the little x cross hair right? A bit hard To tell with the physics.

Am kinda disappointed that the story doesn't go anywhere. I guess rockstar plot are never that good, but the characters are usually fun and there is some mission variety. Not really feeling much of either here.

How many missions are there total?

DjRoomba

Banned
Its a bit hard to tell with the tiny reticle getting lost in the screen. Maybe I just sit too far from the tv or something, but damn that white dot in the black n white could be a little clearer

KalBalboa

Banned
Well shoot dodge always felt more like a cool thing for screenshots and not that useful for gameplay.

And just to be clear, a guy is dead when you see the little x cross hair right? A bit hard To tell with the physics.

Am kinda disappointed that the story doesn't go anywhere. I guess rockstar plot are never that good, but the characters are usually fun and there is some mission variety. Not really feeling much of either here.

That's certainly not the case for me. I tend to enter an area, find cover, evaluate the room, take out one or two guys, then dodge across and take out three-four enemies in one jump without taking any bullets. It's all about your personal approach, however.

That's certainly not the case for me. I tend to enter an area, find cover, evaluate the room, take out one or two guys, then dodge across and take out three-four enemies in one jump without taking any bullets. It's all about your personal approach, however.
It's just pointless if I can dodge like all bullets if I strafe in slowmo. And it's easier to aim.

Sure it doesn't use meter, but it still drains it if you got any.

But I guess that's how I tackle it.

haikira

Hmm. Having a problem, trying to start the game. I just get this screen now and can't do anything except Alt + F4 out of it.

2012-08-10_00001pxuiu.jpg

Any ideas? I've tried "Verify Integrity of Game Cache" and I've tried restarting my PC.

EDIT: It's the steam version.

undrtakr900

I wasn't bothered by that change from 2 since here you can shoot dodge even when your meter is empty. I guess it depends on one's playstyle, but in all three games I rarely used bullet-time unless I was diving so this wasn't much different from the first two in that regard.
I know you can always shootdodge, but sometime it isn't conducive for all situations(ie boss fights, multiple flanking enemies, etc.) and if you lightly brush against a wall it totally cancels out the dive. Though shootdive is the most fun enemy dispatcher, nothing like diving a group of enemies spinning 360' degress and taking out multiple enemies :D
Its a bit hard to tell with the tiny reticle getting lost in the screen. Maybe I just sit too far from the tv or something, but damn that white dot in the black n white could be a little clearer
You can change the reticle in the options to "weapon specific":
> pistols = keeps the white dot
> SMG/Assault = circle reticle
> Shotgun = horizontal oval reticle

Yes when you get an "X" on your crosshair, that means you killed the enemy. There's a "kill indicator" in the options to turn it on or off.

I agree with the story, but Dan Houser is best in his own element and not trying do his interpretation of a world/characters created by someone else (Sam Lake wrote MP1&2).

The game has
chapters total.

MormaPope

Banned
Jesus Christ! My total time played for Max Payne 3 is 124 hours and 55 minutes. I guess the 50 hour stat was wrong.

I don't really leave the game idle either, I'm almost embarrassed I've played that much. Albeit I did play a lot of multiplayer also, but nonetheless.

Has anyone here beat New York Minute Hardcore mode? I got to chapter 10 and died due to the game lagging horribly. I was at the part where you're stuck on the back of the bus with an assault rifle, I couldn't see who put me in last stand mode and died a shitty death.

BFA

I've beat New York Minute Hardcore. Yeah chapter 10 is the make or break level, but I never had trouble during that part though. The trick there is to just blind fire since you have unlimited ammo, and to use pills whenever your health meter is above the waist. In this mode, last man standing can ruin you, as you've known by now.

MormaPope

Banned
I've beat New York Minute Hardcore. Yeah chapter 10 is the make or break level, but I never had trouble during that part though. The trick there is to just blind fire since you have unlimited ammo, and to use pills whenever your health meter is above the waist. In this mode, last man standing can ruin you, as you've known by now.

The moment I'm most worried about is in Chapter 13 when you have to use one of the rocket launchers on the armored vehicle.

But yeah, your strategy for that bus sequence will work, I was rushing through and forgot that it's easy to be overpowered fast, I was also focusing on making the cars around the enemies explode instead of just capping heads or blind firing.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
Finished the game last night, what a ride that was. Really didn't care for the game at first due to not being used to the aiming system (played on Soft Lock, will try Free Aim next), the controls, and Max himself. Originally I thought he was a whiny fat middle aged dude, and he still sort of is. The difference now is I understand that he has basically earned that right to complain about how fucked up everything is.

I'm used to the aiming system now and I really like how it feels. I still have issues figuring out where Im aiming at times because the small white reticule kind of blends in with the scenery at times. Overall though, the shooting mechanics here made me excited to see how they handle Grand Theft Auto 5. The weapon handling, animations, and sound effects are all great. This is one of the few games where the weapons just feel right.

I think I'm going to go through the first game now since I have never played it.

Curious though, does anyone know how active this game is multiplayer-wise on the 360? I played a Soft-Lock game and enjoyed it, but I noticed the rooms were a little small.

Amagon

I just wish after beating the game, that there would be a option to turn subtitles on for the Portuguese spoken in this game so it can be translated into Englsih.

undrtakr900

They've added a multiplayer update with some changes to Score Attack options, details here: http://socialclub.rockstargames.com...max-payne-3-multiplayer-with-payne-thresholds

Edit: Full patch notes here as well: http://support.rockstargames.com/entries/21535227-updated-august-15-2012-max-payne-3-patch-notes
  • Release of Payne Thresholds, a set of multiplayer challenges designed to reward players with bonus XP for accomplishing certain feats during a multiplayer match
  • The new Multiplayer Player Card, which allows you and your friends to track multiplayer stats including current amount of XP, total kills, favorite weapon and more.
  • New Automated cheat protection and lag protection measures.
  • Improvements to multiplayer load times
  • Players can now spawn with dual wield if they have two sidearms and no two-handed weapon equipped
  • Polish language support has been added
  • Party leader now has the option of taking entire party with them when they back out of a match
  • Weapon rank in the Arsenal is now visible on the left side of the screen, not just the right
  • The Crew menu is now available inside lobbies
  • XP gained for completing Grinds no longer contributes to rankings in Gang Wars matches
  • Improvements to the spectator camera in Gang Wars
  • Gang Wars wager system improved to better show betting results

Sounds good to me =)
Now I can rank up/load faster along with a dual-weld spawn

eDIt: Anyone know when they are going to add CooP to the game? That's what I'm most looking forward to and it'll convince my friend to pick it up.

Top Bottom