• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Max Payne 3 |OT| Funny as hell, we couldn't decide on a sub-title

Tizoc

Just started playing this and I'm liking the story and characters, but the gunplay...not so much. Any advice for making it more well 'fun' for lack for a better word ^_^;
I just started Chapter 4 and collected some golden gun parts. Dunno if I'd play the game online as I plan on trading it in after I beat it, unless I end up liking it a lot.

Montresor

May 5th, 2012, Rockstar promises this for Season Pass holders:

June 2012
• Local Justice Map Pack

Summer 2012
• Disorganized Crime Map Pack
• Deathmatch Made In Heaven Mode Pack
• Hostage Negotiation Map Pack
• New York Minute Co-Op Pack

Fall 2012
• Painful Memories Map Pack
• Trickle Down Economics Map Pack

July 3rd, 2012: First advertised season pass content (Local Justice) comes out. The "June" DLC technically comes out a couple of days late. It's really good though. Three new maps, all of which were superb, a new gun (M4 assault), and a neat faction (Sao Paulo police). And even better, we find out that all the mini DLC comes to pass holders for free (pre-order content, retail exclusive DLC, and the Cemetery map).

Early August: Rockstar amends the pass:

#1: One of the advertised packs, "Disorganized Crime Map Pack," is pulled from the season pass and instead becomes free DLC, and is released on Aug. 28th.

#2: Rockstar had also announced the consolidation of the five remaining packs into three separate packs. Trickle Down Economics and New York Minute Co-op become cannibalized into the other three packs. The new schedule:

September 2012

October 2012

Today, September 27th, 2012:

#1: DLC only gets released on a Tuesday (usually, for 360 at least), so that Hostage Negotiation Map Pack is not coming out this month.

#2: To this day, none of the three remaining packs have concrete release dates. In fact, here is the current, newly-amended schedule, as per Rockstar's own web site:

Fall 2012

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I bought the Rockstar Pass early (can't remember exactly when I did, but it was probably early June). I haven't bothered downloading the Aug. 28 DLC. Can't say I care anymore. =/ This is still a 10/10 core game for me though. The multiplayer is decent fun in its own right and the single player is downright incredible (for my tastes anyway). I adore the presentation and the gun play. But fuck this season pass right up its asshole.

willooi

May 5th, 2012, Rockstar promises this for Season Pass holders:

When I first saw your post, I thought that new details had been released for DLC. But no, they haven't. Again.

I feel absolutely ripped off by this MP3 Season Pass, and the lack of fresh content has ruined multiplayer for me. Already legend'ed twice, and loved every minute of it, but what's the point in playing the same old maps over and over, with only a handful of people playing the current-DLC ones?

Pretty disastrous post-release support. It wouldn't surprise me at all really if, ultimately, they just said "Sorry, no more DLC. We can't give you refunds, but you guys will receive credit for GTAV's packs".

Did anyone else hate the collectibles in the game?

I mean hate that you had to waste time looking for them, many time I would spend more time searching a room for items/collectibles than it took to kill everyone, which killed some of my enjoyment of the game. Sometimes collectibles gave you back story or additional information on characters so you couldn't just skip/ignore them if you want the best experience. For instance I couldn't enjoy the airport shootout(everyone loved) at the end because in my mind all I kept thinking was "dammit, I'm going to have to search this entire big ass airport for items"

I hate them too, especially the useless gold weapon parts. But you have to resist your autistic tendencies and ignore them. Collecting them ISN'T the best experience, because collecting them includes searching every corner of the room for them, which totally outweighs whatever plot details you get. You say you have to find them for the best experience and in the next sentence say: "for instance" (as if this is an example of getting the "best experience") you couldn't even enjoy the airport level! That's more of a fucked up, sadly ironic experience. The BEST experience comes when you just play the game and only pick up collectibles if you happen to run across one.

Fjordson

Yeah, I held off buying MP 3's season pass. It's very rare for me to stick with multiplayer games for a long time, and MP 3 was no exception. Love the base game, though.

On the flipside, I was pretty satisfied with LA Noire's season pass since it was more single-player content. I really enjoyed playing through those bonus cases.

I pray they can financially justify making DLC packs for GTA V in the vein of Undead Nightmare or the GTA IV episodes.

undrtakr900

I hate them too, especially the useless gold weapon parts. But you have to resist your autistic tendencies and ignore them. Collecting them ISN'T the best experience, because collecting them includes searching every corner of the room for them, which totally outweighs whatever plot details you get.
I realized that now lol, I really need to get over my obsessive-compulsive tendencies. Or better yet just play the game normally the first time, then use youtube/guides to find the collectibles I missed for the achievement.
You say you have to find them for the best experience and in the next sentence say: "for instance" (as if this is an example of getting the "best experience") you couldn't even enjoy the airport level! That's more of a fucked up, sadly ironic experience.
Well that was bad wording on my part, but one "instance" that was kool was finding the dead body of the soccer player at the club then later find a memorial shrine built in his honor by the [bad guys]; though it added nothing to the story.

Looking back now, none of the "clues" really added anything to the story they don't explain later... and sure as hell wasn't worth the tedium/frustration of micro-searching every inch of a room to find them.
The BEST experience comes when you just play the game and only pick up collectibles if you happen to run across one.
I'm going with this philosophy from now on(esp when collectibles don't give/do anything). Recently played through CoD4 of veteran and only grabbed intel if I came across them, so much more fun.

=========

#2: Rockstar had also announced the consolidation of the five remaining packs into three separate packs. Trickle Down Economics and New York Minute Co-op become cannibalized into the other three packs. The new schedule:
September 2012

October 2012
Do you know which of the 3 packs Co-op was cannibalized into? That's the one thing I'm most looking forward to.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
So does anyone here still play this game online? I bought this on Friday and literally couldn't put it down until I finished it a few hours ago. What a ride, and what a hard game. Damn. It never feels cheap, although there are points where I got really annoyed at it (especially the enemies with flak jackets that take forever to kill).

But overall I thought it was a phenomenal game that was worth the $20 I paid for it. As far as I'm concerned, non-open-world Rockstar is the best Rockstar, as the action was a lot tighter and more well-paced here than in GTA IV or RDR.

So does anyone here still play this game online? I bought this on Friday and literally couldn't put it down until I finished it a few hours ago. What a ride, and what a hard game. Damn. It never feels cheap, although there are points where I got really annoyed at it (especially the enemies with flak jackets that take forever to kill).

But overall I thought it was a phenomenal game that was worth the $20 I paid for it. As far as I'm concerned, non-open-world Rockstar is the best Rockstar, as the action was a lot tighter and more well-paced here than in GTA IV or RDR.

I think the constant, mostly unskippable, cutscenes soured a lot of people on the experience. I know they did for me anyway. Way too many of them to make replaying the game fun. As for the multiplayer, it never really took off from Day 1, so it's probably worse now. Not to mention the ridiculous soft lock / free aim online split which was destined to kill the community.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
I think the constant, mostly unskippable, cutscenes soured a lot of people on the experience. I know they did for me anyway. Way too many of them to make replaying the game fun. As for the multiplayer, it never really took off from Day 1, so it's probably worse now. Not to mention the ridiculous soft lock / free aim online split which was destined to kill the community.

I might be weird but I actually really enjoy long cutscenes as long as they're well made, which is why I enjoyed MGS4 and this game so much. I like the fact that this game isn't written with 11 year-olds in mind, so I don't mind them taking some liberties with the length of the cutscenes and the presentation.

The only issue I have with replaying the game is that it is pretty hard and I don't know if I'm really interested in going through on a harder difficulty level just yet. Maybe I'll give it some time and then go through it again in a month or two.

Fjordson

I dropped the multiplayer not long after release, but that's not really MP 3's fault. I'm not much of a multiplayer guy.

I agree with you about the single-player, though. Thrilling game, despite some annoyances. Just a shame that games like this from Rockstar will always reside in the rather large shadow of GTA (and now Red Dead).

Dibbz

I really loved MP3's multiplayer but holy fuck the constant network problems it had, plus the pistol being way overpowered ruined it for me. I feel bad for anyone that bought the season pass since Rockstar have shit the bed with the DLC. Trickle down economics, too right. They took the money and ran.

I might be weird but I actually really enjoy long cutscenes as long as they're well made, which is why I enjoyed MGS4 and this game so much. I like the fact that this game isn't written with 11 year-olds in mind, so I don't mind them taking some liberties with the length of the cutscenes and the presentation.

The only issue I have with replaying the game is that it is pretty hard and I don't know if I'm really interested in going through on a harder difficulty level just yet. Maybe I'll give it some time and then go through it again in a month or two.

I enjoy well made cutscenes but not only were they CONSTANTLY interrupting the player in this game, but they ruin subsequent playthroughs as they're largely unskippable. Terrible design on Rockstar's part, especially considering they're using a character PERFECTLY fit for avoiding cutscene use with his constant internal monologues. It has nothing to do with which demographic the game was written for, and everything to do with game design in 2012 being completely backwards.

And the game feels significantly easier the 2nd time through, even on harder difficulties. You'll be familiar with the level layouts, and, hopefully, making better use of bullet time and the excellent body physics to stagger enemies.

Fjordson

The problem with the cutscenes is that Rockstar turned them into more than a storytelling method. Here they're a technical necessity. Or at least it seems that way with all the loading going on in the background. If the game had been built somehow as to not require all that loading then they definitely could have slipped in a lot of the exposition and monologues while you're running or like right after you clear a room. And then the player wouldn't have had control taken away from them so often.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
I enjoy well made cutscenes but not only were they CONSTANTLY interrupting the player in this game, but they ruin subsequent playthroughs as they're largely unskippable. Terrible design on Rockstar's part, especially considering they're using a character PERFECTLY fit for avoiding cutscene use with his constant internal monologues. It has nothing to do with which demographic the game was written for, and everything to do with game design in 2012 being completely backwards.

And the game feels significantly easier the 2nd time through, even on harder difficulties. You'll be familiar with the level layouts, and, hopefully, making better use of bullet time and the excellent body physics to stagger enemies.

What suggestions do you have for playing it on a harder difficulty? Going for headshots is a pain when the enemies are relatively far away, and shooting them in center mass takes forever since their flak jackets can take a lot of punishment. Plus I feel like Max can't take too much damage before going kaput, so I tend to spend most of my time hiding behind cover trying to avoid damage.

What suggestions do you have for playing it on a harder difficulty? Going for headshots is a pain when the enemies are relatively far away, and shooting them in center mass takes forever since their flak jackets can take a lot of punishment. Plus I feel like Max can't take too much damage before going kaput, so I tend to spend most of my time hiding behind cover trying to avoid damage.

Shoot arms, shoot hands, shoot legs, shoot feet. NEVER aim for center mass against enemies in body armor if you have the opportunity to hit them in the legs to trip them, then finish them while they're on the floor. Headshots are crucial for clearing area quickly, but ANY non-armored body shot gets the job done too.

Also, I found that cowering in cover, on harder difficulties especially, got me shot MORE than bullet time strafing, and generally acting a fool. Don't be afraid to play like a mad man, you'll be very surprised at the results.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Shoot arms, shoot hands, shoot legs, shoot feet. NEVER aim for center mass against enemies in body armor if you have the opportunity to hit them in the legs to trip them, then finish them while they're on the floor. Headshots are crucial for clearing area quickly, but ANY non-armored body shot gets the job done too.

Also, I found that cowering in cover, on harder difficulties especially, got me shot MORE than bullet time strafing, and generally acting a fool. Don't be afraid to play like a mad man, you'll be very surprised at the results.

Cool, thanks for the tips. I'll definitely utilize those tactics when I replay this game.

KalBalboa

Banned

I found that cowering in cover, on harder difficulties especially, got me shot MORE than bullet time strafing, and generally acting a fool. Don't be afraid to play like a mad man, you'll be very surprised at the results.

image.php

This avatar fits these tips like a glove.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
I can't find an explanation for this on the PC version. I mean, it could help if you played with a control, but who could want auto aim when using k&m?

Dibbz

I can't find an explanation for this on the PC version. I mean, it could help if you played with a control, but who could want auto aim when using k&m?

Really no need for auto aim or soft lock in a PC game. Just shows that the devs had the consoles as priority.

YoungHav

Banned
what are the current sales for this? Around the month it dropped NPD had it at almost half a mil. Game is great, deserves sales. Glad my purchase counted towards stats.

Fjordson

what are the current sales for this? Around the month it dropped NPD had it at almost half a mil. Game is great, deserves sales. Glad my purchase counted towards stats.
I'd be very curious as well. By July it had shipped over 3 million. So maybe 2-3 million? Probably closer to 2 since Take-Two said sales were disappointing.

Sullichin

Stupid question:
If i buy the non steam digital version of this on Amazon (it's $46 now), what limitations would I be facing (I usually use steam for all of my games) other than having to download it from amazon again instead of steam? I know I can just add it to my steam library like I can with any program. Will it show up as a proper "game" with steam achievements and such?

Or is there a better deal for the PC version now somewhere? And, PC port is good right?

zulfate

I'd be very curious as well. By July it had shipped over 3 million. So maybe 2-3 million? Probably closer to 2 since Take-Two said sales were disappointing.

That sucks if they think that is dissapointing, what are our chances for max payne 4

Even though i hate unskippable cutscenes this is my go to game when i get bored playing games lol does that make any sense. I love how simple it is.

Fjordson

That sucks if they think that is disappointing, what are our chances for max payne 4
It is unfortunate, but all of this is a little off from the norm because it's Rockstar. They've shipped multiple games this gen that have sold tens of millions of copies with healthy online communities that have lasted for years (even L.A. Noire sold 5 million in less than a year). In the shadow of all that, I can see why MP 3 might be seen as disappointing.

As for another Max Payne, it's tough to say. Probably depends on how much influence Take-Two has over R*. Something I've never really been clear on. I can see R* wanting to do one if they ever feel they have a truly interesting idea, but then would T2 veto that because of the financial risk? Not sure.

Sullichin

Stupid question:
If i buy the non steam digital version of this on Amazon (it's $46 now), what limitations would I be facing (I usually use steam for all of my games) other than having to download it from amazon again instead of steam? I know I can just add it to my steam library like I can with any program. Will it show up as a proper "game" with steam achievements and such?

Or is there a better deal for the PC version now somewhere? And, PC port is good right?

Nevermind I bought it. Guess I just won't have steam achievements. Oh well.

I'm thoroughly enjoying this game so far. I'm not really following the cheesy story and the visual effects in the cutscenes are a bit jarring but that's fine. The gunplay is very satisfying, I'm fighting in interesting scenarios, it runs really smooth and it looks great.

I see that it loads the game while the cutscenes are playing, but on PC it's usually ready to go before the cutscene is over. Hasn't been a problem yet. I've just been watching the cutscenes though, as silly as the story presentation is to me it's still entertaining. There are a lot of cutscenes though.

Went to try out the online mode and it said only 80 people were online. It was 3am but that was unexpected. Went to sleep before it could find a match :p

http://m.rockstargames.com/newswire/article/45131/update-and-screens-from-the-max-payne-3-hostage-negotiation-pack.html

New DLC finally announced. No concrete release date, though.

Coming this fall, the Hostage Negotiation Map Pack DLC for Max Payne 3 will bring four new multiplayer maps into the fold - all specially designed for online action - along with a range of new Items and weapons plus the Filhos De Ogum avatar faction.

The Club Moderno and Estádio Do Galatians maps are being designed to deliver intense nightclub and stadium shootouts reminiscent of Max's earlier dust-ups with some of São Paulo's most dangerous elements like the Comando Sombra and the Crachá Preto.

Meanwhile, the O Palácio Strip Club and Favela Heights maps introduce to multiplayer all new, highly detailed favela territories from Max's descent into the gang-infested neighborhoods of the city.

The Hostage Negotiation Pack will also include two new weapons: the M24 Sniper Rifle and the IA2 Assault Rifle, the new Explosive Burst for explosive booby traps, the Bomb Suit item to protect against explosive damage and the Intimidation Mask item to cause slower reload times for your enemies.

The pack will be available later this fall for 800 Microsoft Points on Xbox LIVE or $9.99 on PlayStation Network and PC (Rockstar Pass owners of course will receive it, and all other future packs, free of charge).

Our apologies to Max Payne fans who've been waiting for this one and the other upcoming packs - we're working hard to bring you this and all the other DLC and should have a release date to announce for this next pack very soon. As a special thank you to all Max Payne 3 multiplayers for your support and patience, look for the release of an all-new chrome weapons bonus, which will be redeemable by all Social Club members free of charge. We'll have more info when the unlock becomes active later this week.

Considering how ridiculously low the player count is in the MP, I really hope they make a SP expansion pack akin to the ones they did for GTA 4 and Red Dead. The core shooting is so damn good, I want some new story content. Maybe let us play some of the jobs done by Max and Passos prior to the first level of the game (e.g. The wedding in Aruba). Or Max's days on the force between 1 and 2.

Dibbz

Considering how ridiculously low the player count is in the MP, I really hope they make a SP expansion pack akin to the ones they did for GTA 4 and Red Dead. The core shooting is so damn good, I want some new story content. Maybe let us play some of the jobs done by Max and Passos prior to the first level of the game (e.g. The wedding in Aruba). Or Max's days on the force between 1 and 2.

Yup same here. Rockstar have lost me as an online player thanks to their shitty network and balancing problems. I'd rather have some SP content at this point.

zulfate

It is unfortunate, but all of this is a little off from the norm because it's Rockstar. They've shipped multiple games this gen that have sold tens of millions of copies with healthy online communities that have lasted for years (even L.A. Noire sold 5 million in less than a year). In the shadow of all that, I can see why MP 3 might be seen as disappointing.

As for another Max Payne, it's tough to say. Probably depends on how much influence Take-Two has over R*. Something I've never really been clear on. I can see R* wanting to do one if they ever feel they have a truly interesting idea, but then would T2 veto that because of the financial risk? Not sure.

I really do hope they make atleast 1 more. Something tells me it would be a good one

Andrew.

Banned
Been replaying. Still the most satisfying TPS gunplay for me personally this gen. Man, I really hope the game doesn't get shafted for end of the year awards. At the very least it should take home anything related to the sound design and soundtrack. .

That sucks if they think that is dissapointing, what are our chances for max payne 4

Even though i hate unskippable cutscenes this is my go to game when i get bored playing games lol does that make any sense. I love how simple it is.

I doubt we'll see MP4 anytime soon, but I'd love to see one for sure.

Been replaying. Still the most satisfying TPS gunplay for me personally this gen. Man, I really hope the game doesn't get shafted for end of the year awards. At the very least it should take home anything related to the sound design and soundtrack. .

Agreed. It's still clear on my mind for the GOTY lists. Soundtrack almost assuredly, though AC3 will come close I bet. Definitely on my list for Narrative.

UrbanRats

I doubt we'll see MP4 anytime soon, but I'd love to see one for sure.

Agreed. It's still clear on my mind for the GOTY lists. Soundtrack almost assuredly, though AC3 will come close I bet. Definitely on my list for Narrative.

Without Jesper Kyd? I don't know.
Kyd is running with Darksiders 2 this year.

Without Jesper Kyd? I don't know.
Kyd is running with Darksiders 2 this year.

I'm confident Lorne Balfe will be a worthy successor, enough to make my Best Of list.

But HEALTH's MP3 score is just phenomenal. I'm pretty sure it'll be the last man standing, so to speak. Though I also have high expectations for Dishonored (Daniel Licht will be doing the score). I have high expectations for Hitman: Absolution as well, but Kyd's not working on that and I have no idea who is, so I've no idea what to expect.

UrbanRats

MP3's soundtrack was one of my favorites this gen, so far, let's say in the top 10 of this gen for me.
When those percussions kick in, it's just... damn.
Ever since this trailer: http://youtu.be/JTPRPr15sW0 (at 0:59 particularly) i was hooked in.

Balfe and Licht i'm not familiar with, but i know the latter did the OST for Downpour, which i have on the shelf and yet have to play, so i'm curious about him, also because it takes Yamaoka's seat, not a good spot to be in. :p

R* fucks up a lot of things in their games, but they do know their music, goddamn (Bully, RDR, this one, all had amazing soundtracks).

It's most likely a technical issue. The game has a dense amount of detail and setup for various action sequences where staging characters & enemies are probably a priority.

I don't think you can honestly look at a single moment of Max Payne 3 and tell me that game looks like it was made by a lazy person.

agree, i just finished it myself on ps3 wow what a ride, the sheer amount of detail in the game is ridicules, from window shattering to all other enviornmental details and environmental destruction its simply stunning and the soundtrack? Oh boi rockstar has done it again in raising the bar in video games!

Montresor

MP3's soundtrack was one of my favorites this gen, so far, let's say in the top 10 of this gen for me.
Ever since this trailer: http://youtu.be/JTPRPr15sW0 (at 0:59 particularly) i was hooked in.

Balfe and Licht i'm not familiar with, but i know the latter did the OST for Downpour, which i have on the shelf and yet have to play, so i'm curious about him, also because it takes Yamaoka's seat, not a good spot to be in. :p

R* fucks up a lot of things in their games, but they do know their music, goddamn (Bully, RDR, this one, all had amazing soundtracks).

Totally agree. God I love the music in this game so much.

KalBalboa

Banned
I find myself revisiting certain levels in this game whenever I find another game to be too frustrating.

The shooting, dodging, sound, and score all come together in an oddly therapeutic way for me.

willooi

I find myself revisiting certain levels in this game whenever I find another game to be too frustrating.

The shooting, dodging, sound, and score all come together in an oddly therapeutic way for me.

Back when I was still obsessed with the multiplayer, I have to say that the combination of all these elements worked nigh-on perfectly on the Hoboken and 55th Precinct maps. I especially love the beat in the Hoboken track as the DeMarcos and Punchinellos fought it out, and recall actually feeling quite privileged to be playing such a top class game. It was almost as if I was watching a live band and thinking to myself 'I'll be remembering this moment'.

In hindsight, I just wish that all the maps were offered for free to keep the community going. But still, once the stadium map and co-op mode come out, hopefully they'll be compelling enough to suck people back in.

undrtakr900

I had never played any Max Payne game before (outside of the MP1 demo back in the day), but hot dam did that trailer get me pumped up for Max Payne 3. So much so that the same day I went and bought MP1 then MP2 on XBLA so I could play the series in order.

I even bought that abomination of a Max Payne movie,
Mila Kuniz as Mona Sax, lols.
For a movie about shooting in bullet-time it only had one scene with bullet-time where Max falls backwards in super-slow-motion for 30 seconds to shoot one guy =/
I even bought that disasterous
Do you know which of the 3 packs Co-op was cannibalized into? That's the one thing I'm most looking forward to.
Belated answer, but the "Deathmatch Made In Heaven" pack is going to have co-op, and that DLC is last in the schedule. =/
It says the "Deathmatch Made In Heaven" pack is coming out in October and if my calculations are correct we are currently occupying the month of October. Unless it got pushed back again??

UrbanRats

I had never played any Max Payne game before (outside of the MP1 demo back in the day), but hot dam did that trailer get me pumped up for Max Payne 3. So much so that the same day I went and bought MP1 then MP2 on XBLA so I could play the series in order.

I even bought that abomination of a Max Payne movie,
Mila Kuniz as Mona Sax, lols.
For a movie about shooting in bullet-time it only had one scene with bullet-time where Max falls backwards in super-slow-motion for 30 seconds to shoot one guy =/
I even bought that disasterous
Yup, replaying the game these days, and the OST is just stellar, i would almost say on Assassin's Creed 2 levels.

tracks like Combat Drugs, Torture, +90 or Panama, are just fucking magnificent.

Oh and if you want a good Max Payne movie, watch Death Sentence. ;)

conman

Finally got around to playing this. I'd been putting it off since I'm such a huge fan of the first two games, and I didn't believe that a non-Remedy studio could pull it off.

Boy, was I wrong.

Brilliant game from beginning to end. Beautiful visuals and music. Top-notch writing and voice acting. Great level design. The shooting mechanics (on 360) are a bit "loose" in free aim mode, and the cover mechanics are a bit iffy. But otherwise, an excellent, excellent game. Finished it in two sittings on hard. Definitely at the top of my list for the year so far.

KalBalboa

Banned
Some of my favorite Max-isms from Max Payne 3:

I had a hole in my second-favourite drinking arm.

I'd killed more cops than cholesterol and still no sign of Becker.

Raul Passos: You wanna camel coat, bro?
Max Payne: I'm fine with the leather.
Raul Passos: There's plenty here goin' begging!
Max Payne: This don't show the blood so much.

The smell in this place reminded me of how long it had been since I'd had any food. A drinker eats when he's loaded. A real drunk eats when he's not.

I was a dumb American in a place where dumb Americans were less popular than the clap.

I’d been sitting at the bar for three hours, or five hours depending on the way you looked at things.

conman

It's amazing that those lines work as well as they do. In the prior games, they were intentionally hokey. But in MP3, his lines are intentionally anachronistic and self-deprecating. Max just works better as a washed-up, middle-aged man than he ever did as a youngish hardboiled cop.

That applies to the story at large, too. The psychological atmosphere in MP1 & 2 gets turned around against Max in MP3. Even though he feels like certain places and environments are part of his own personal hell, or reflect some interior conflict, the "lesson" he learns throughout the game is that these places have nothing to do with him. He's merely imagining that the world is designed to punish him, when in fact, the world couldn't care less about him. It's a great send-up of the earlier games that becomes a major thematic point in the game. And it continues to get riffed on as the game progresses (the egotistical white man charging through the world and rescuing the poor people of color).

I could go on and on. Great game.

Top Bottom