• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Max Payne 3 |OT| Funny as hell, we couldn't decide on a sub-title

Honestly, I never really had many connection issues. I'm using a wired connection on PS3. I've been kicked from a game a few times, but it's very rare.

I went back to playing RDR recently, and I think I'm more impressed with its implementation of Euphoria more so than MP3's. The guys in MP3 seem really bulky and slow when they start their falling /reacting stuff compared to the more animated and reactive guys in RDR. I also like how the guys in RDR react with the environment in comparison to MP3. Based on what I've seen in both games, when characters interact with the environment, RDR produces a smoother and cleaner effect. I think I just like RDR better, in general.

Montresor

Aug. 21st and still no fucking solid date for the next DLC (Disorganized Crime).

I love this game, and I love that soft-lock multiplayer (come at me) but damn, FUCK the way the DLC has kept getting delayed.

I don't care anymore that Rockstar is giving away season pass content (Disorganized Crime) to non-passers for free. That's more than made up with all the micro-DLC given to pass owners for free (pre-order loadout items, the Cemetery map, and the special edition items). But damn throw us a bone Rockstar and give us some solid dates other than August, September, October.

Just finished the game.

Great gun-play. Beautiful use of RAGE+Euphoria coupled with DX11. Overall a very beautiful game. However, everything else is lacking. The story is uninteresting, the gameplay boils down to waves upon waves of enemies and you ducked in the corner picking them out one at a time (especially near the end). I guess I expected more than a "shoot & talk" game. Could have been much better. But the tech is amazing, hands down.

This will be blasphemy to many, but this elevates Max Payne to the top tier of IPs. I enjoyed the first two games, but they were never anything that really hit me as special. This did.

I understand why the focus on story pissed so many people off, but I thought it was a highly enjoyable story which was presented brilliantly. I could have done with less filters over the cutscenes, but other than that I found the narrative to push the game along brilliantly.

This is also so much of a better shooter than I expected. The gunplay in GTAIV/RDR was very good, but not strong enough to really hold an entire game. Here they tweaked their gunplay system so much and, combined with the incredible Europhia engine, resulted in some of the best gunfights I've ever had. The game was pretty tough even running through on easy in a few spots, but I felt the game was better played with a run and gun style and using cover sparingly, rather than playing like it was Gears of War. For lack of a better word, they realised the "cinematic" feel of each gunfight perfectly.

Wonderful PC version, too. Looks great and runs even better. So much variety and attention to detail. Gives me hope for GTA V!

My GOTY choice at the moment, I think.

Can anyone try this for me, with the Steam version of the game .....

On the "hotel" rooftop, where the armoured machine gunner turns up, does the game freeze/crash for you ? The game has been running fine throughout, except for this 1 bit where, no matter what i do, it freezes.

Just want to see if its just me or something else causing it.

Montresor

This will be blasphemy to many, but this elevates Max Payne to the top tier of IPs. I enjoyed the first two games, but they were never anything that really hit me as special. This did.

I understand why the focus on story pissed so many people off, but I thought it was a highly enjoyable story which was presented brilliantly. I could have done with less filters over the cutscenes, but other than that I found the narrative to push the game along brilliantly.

This is also so much of a better shooter than I expected. The gunplay in GTAIV/RDR was very good, but not strong enough to really hold an entire game. Here they tweaked their gunplay system so much and, combined with the incredible Europhia engine, resulted in some of the best gunfights I've ever had. The game was pretty tough even running through on easy in a few spots, but I felt the game was better played with a run and gun style and using cover sparingly, rather than playing like it was Gears of War. For lack of a better word, they realised the "cinematic" feel of each gunfight perfectly.

Wonderful PC version, too. Looks great and runs even better. So much variety and attention to detail. Gives me hope for GTA V!

My GOTY choice at the moment, I think.

I would always say "so?" in response to that kind of thing. I think sometimes the expectations set by a previous iteration in a series results in too much unwarranted criticism. Like for example, someone saying that Fallout 3 sucks in comparison to Fallout 2. So what? Fallout 3 is still an incredible game with a rich landscape riddled with compelling historical landmarks, or i.e. Fallout 2 must've been a 25/10 game of the forever type game for that statement to have made any sense in my eyes. And though I haven't played the other Max Paynes, I agree with almost everything you said about MP3, other than I have no problem with the filters - I loved them. My only big problem with the game was the incomprehensible inability to skip cutscenes, but I loved the cutscenes, and I gladly watched them 4-5 times with all my playthroughs.

Can anyone try this for me, with the Steam version of the game .....

On the "hotel" rooftop, where the armoured machine gunner turns up, does the game freeze/crash for you ? The game has been running fine throughout, except for this 1 bit where, no matter what i do, it freezes.

Just want to see if its just me or something else causing it.
Never had a single problem with the Steam version. At least not of that magnitude. :/

Tizoc

Is anyone else having difficulty downloading the 1.05 update for PS3 ver.? To be exact every time I choose OK to update, the bar shows up but it doesn't download.

TTG

Started a 2nd run on hard and damn! They really hack away at the bullet time don't they? Take it easy MP3, I have no auto aim and only a ps3 controller here.

Zep

Banned
Have the urge to shoot shit up again...Then remembered the unskippable cutscenes :-/

Rockstar, for all the good they do, can be a pain in the ass for the smallest things.

Sajjaja

Have the urge to shoot shit up again...Then remembered the unskippable cutscenes :-/

Rockstar, for all the good they do, can be a pain in the ass for the smallest things.

They're skippable when the game finishes loading behind it.

Zep

Banned
Some are even plain skippable the moment they begin, actually. I like how the arcade modes truncate them too by eliminating any filler from the beginning of a level.

How about getting rid of them altogether for something labeled "arcade mode"

They're just lazy-asses.

KalBalboa

Banned
How about getting rid of them altogether for something labeled "arcade mode"

They're just lazy-asses.

It's most likely a technical issue. The game has a dense amount of detail and setup for various action sequences where staging characters & enemies are probably a priority.

I don't think you can honestly look at a single moment of Max Payne 3 and tell me that game looks like it was made by a lazy person.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Has there been a mod ( or... dare I even ask... patch ) that lets you skip cutscenes?

Snowballo

How is it possible?

I beated the game on HARD and I unlocked the arcade mode (New York Minute included).
I beated a few stages on NYM on PLATINUM and then I tried to start the game again in OLD SCHOOL difficulty. After a few stages I gave up and tried the HARDCORE difficulty in order to obtain the "one shot kill" (that you get after you complete the game on that difficulty).

Today I reloaded the game I went on arcade mode but the New York Minute challenge is locked ("you have to beat the game to unlock it"). Like I've never complete the game.

I have all the achievements obtained beating the game on HARD, and all the chapters are opened in story mode (so the game "knows" that I beated itself) so why are the NYM challenges locked? What happened!? :(

Any clue?
Thanks.

undrtakr900

How is it possible?

I beated the game on HARD and I unlocked the arcade mode (New York Minute included).
I beated a few stages on NYM on PLATINUM and then I tried to start the game again in OLD SCHOOL difficulty. After a few stages I gave up and tried the HARDCORE difficulty in order to obtain the "one shot kill" (that you get after you complete the game on that difficulty).

Today I reloaded the game I went on arcade mode but the New York Minute challenge is locked ("you have to beat the game to unlock it"). Like I've never complete the game.

I have all the achievements obtained beating the game on HARD, and all the chapters are opened in story mode (so the game "knows" that I beated itself) so why are the NYM challenges locked? What happened!? :(

Any clue?
Thanks.
Dam that sucks. Hmm... random guess is did you choose the same storage device from when you originally unlocked the NYM mode?

I know when I bought a new HDD for my x360 and played Left 4 Dead it reset some of my in progress achievements like "Kill 1000 infected". But they returned when I switched the save storage back to the original internal memory.

Snowballo

Dam that sucks. Hmm... random guess is did you choose the same storage device from when you originally unlocked the NYM mode?

I know when I bought a new HDD for my x360 and played Left 4 Dead it reset some of my in progress achievements like "Kill 1000 infected". But they returned when I switched the save storage back to the original internal memory.

Thanks for reply.
Sadly yep the same storage device. It does make no sense to me.
Anyway I'm gonna beat the game again (hardest) and then unlock the NYM... :/

Well I found out why I've been having aiming issues with this game! For the life of me, I couldn't determine why I could be an expert marksman on RDR...it's like it's head-shot-city, but I felt lacking in MP3. I turned the Horizontal/Vertical both down to 2, and it still didn't feel as precise as I can be in RDR. It was the aiming acceleration the entire time! It was turned up to 10, and I take it down to the 1 or 2 level and it makes a WORLD of difference.

Business

I went back to playing RDR recently, and I think I'm more impressed with its implementation of Euphoria more so than MP3's. The guys in MP3 seem really bulky and slow when they start their falling /reacting stuff compared to the more animated and reactive guys in RDR. I also like how the guys in RDR react with the environment in comparison to MP3. Based on what I've seen in both games, when characters interact with the environment, RDR produces a smoother and cleaner effect. I think I just like RDR better, in general.

Totally agree, RDR was better on that regard. The enemies in MP3 take so long to fall that sometimes you are not even sure if they are dead or not. Also, sometimes they fall in totally weird (and unrealistic) positions, and keep moving as if the engine is trying to put them in the right on the floor.

Fantastic game btw, so good.

Not really liking this so far, but I'm not that far in to be fair. I must say games like these really make me appreciate the Uncharted style of playing through cutscenes.

Zep

Banned
Not really liking this so far, but I'm not that far in to be fair. I must say games like these really make me appreciate the Uncharted style of playing through cutscenes.

I hope you appreciate it not being shitty with gunplay, unlike Uncharted.

:)

KalBalboa

Banned
I really like Uncharted's gunplay.

I think both Max Payne 3 and the Uncharteds have really good gameplay, but Max Payne, to me, really hit the sweet spot in terms of shooting and gun mechanics.

Uncharted offered more variety, though, plain and simply. Platforming, treasure hunting, melee fighting, etc. Max Payne has some significant strengths though, and both offer really different story-telling experiences.

Totally agree, RDR was better on that regard. The enemies in MP3 take so long to fall that sometimes you are not even sure if they are dead or not. Also, sometimes they fall in totally weird (and unrealistic) positions, and keep moving as if the engine is trying to put them in the right on the floor.

Fantastic game btw, so good.

RDR is still my favorite game in any generation. Kinda funny how it seems more advanced in some aspects compared to MP3.

bj00rn_

Banned
I skipped this game because I heard that it was disappointing, and the buzz kinda died quickly. But when I saw it as a DD at a reduced price in the Xbox marketplace the temptation was just too much and I bought it anyway. And I'm really happy I did that, because, with some apparent flaws aside (and narrow gameplay really), I love the total experience so far. The atmosphere, the writing, the set pieces, nice.

I skipped this game because I heard that it was disappointing, and the buzz kinda died quickly. But when I saw it as a DD at a reduced price in the Xbox marketplace the temptation was just too much and I bought it anyway. And I'm really happy I did that, because, with some apparent flaws aside (and narrow gameplay really), I love the total experience so far. The atmosphere, the writing, the set pieces, nice.

As far as a Max Payne game goes, it's disappointing in terms of the story. I'm one of those people who played the first 2 around 15 times a piece, and I know the stories backwards and forwards. The quality and delivery of the stories really craps all over MP3's. All of the performances in MP3 are great, however, but it's the material itself that's lacking. As a shooter, it's pretty fantastic. Although, it's oddly linear and restrictive in how it takes over and leaves you no real choice in any matter.

Fjordson

Yeah, it's totally worth playing. Especially on the cheap. I can see why some of the issues really annoyed people (cutscenes, radical changes in style from the first two games) but the basic gameplay is a blast and as with all R* games, the writing and atmosphere delivers.

I think both Max Payne 3 and the Uncharteds have really good gameplay, but Max Payne, to me, really hit the sweet spot in terms of shooting and gun mechanics.

Uncharted offered more variety, though, plain and simply. Platforming, treasure hunting, melee fighting, etc. Max Payne has some significant strengths though, and both offer really different story-telling experiences.

Uncharted 3 has terrible gunplay, in every sense. For a game so hellbent on making its characters feel like real people, shooting them is about as videogamey as you can get. Uncharted 3 with Max Payne gunplay (minus the gore) would instantly make it a much, much better game, especially since they went all arena combat with the encounters yet kept the spongy, non-reactive enemies. Both games could do with getting rid of the heavy enemy type though, I don't understand why shooter devs are SO obsessed with that kind of enemy.

undrtakr900

Did anyone else hate the collectibles in the game?

I mean hate that you had to waste time looking for them, many time I would spend more time searching a room for items/collectibles than it took to kill everyone, which killed some of my enjoyment of the game. Sometimes collectibles gave you back story or additional information on characters so you couldn't just skip/ignore them if you want the best experience. For instance I couldn't enjoy the airport shootout(everyone loved) at the end because in my mind all I kept thinking was "dammit, I'm going to have to search this entire big ass airport for items"

I wish he had internal monologues(like MP2) to let you know an important item was in the room like: "I noticed a note sitting on the desk.." Instead of me running around every edge of the room waiting for the 'interact' button to pop up.
As far as a Max Payne game goes, it's disappointing in terms of the story. I'm one of those people who played the first 2 around 15 times a piece, and I know the stories backwards and forwards. The quality and delivery of the stories really craps all over MP3's. All of the performances in MP3 are great, however, but it's the material itself that's lacking. As a shooter, it's pretty fantastic. Although, it's oddly linear and restrictive in how it takes over and leaves you no real choice in any matter.
I agree 100%, I rate MP3..
As a game = 8.5/10
As a Max Payne game = 7/10

I loved how in MP2 all the story sequences were presented out of order, so your first play-through you had no idea what's going on until later in the game... which also made replaying more fun as you understood the story better.

I liked MP3 story but Rockstar added their trademark zaniest to the gameplay(ie shooting rockets out the sky while hanging upside down from a helicopter) which was fun but out of place in a MP game. Though I LOVE Rockstar's inventory/weapon management in MP3, makes multiplayer more balanced than running around with full arsenal.

Hey GAF, should I buy this on X360 or PS3 ? I'd buy it on X360 (I like the controller better for TPSes, and maybe the online community is more active), but maybe the PS3 version runs better ? Thanks.

I just finished it today...what a ride! Worthy successor of MP1 & 2, although very scripted, the various locales and situations bring some fresh air to the series.

Plus, the non-regenerating health and limited arsenal make a refreshing and more difficult challenge than most TPSes nowadays.

And the ending isn't too bad for poor Max either !

Still pop this in from time to time to play through arcade mode a bit. Shooting mechanics are the best of this generation. Though they still haven't patched in a skip option for cutscenes -_-

Gui_PT

suddenly you're in a horror movie where people are being harvested for their organs, huh?? Then immediately after that, for no apparent reason, Max is killing hundreds of cops in some police station, i completely missed why. He's a fucking cop-killer now? Oh, its ok, as they are foreign, i guess.

You should pay more attention to what's going on in the game. While the game has many problems, these complaints come from lack of attention, not Rockstar's fault.

Top Bottom