• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Max Payne 3 |OT| Funny as hell, we couldn't decide on a sub-title

Holy shit. Going through the cemetery and I got chills man....
DeMarco confronting you about his son and the wailing of Max's dead daughter from the nightmare sequences in MP1 kick in with the music. Also RIP Vinnie.

This whole chapter so far has been awesome.

Ditto. All the New Jersey levels were a real highlight for me. Also, really helps you understand why Max just needed to get the hell out of the city.

Xander51

I'm trying really hard to like Max, but I feel that his voice actor is pulling a David Hayter and getting worse with each game.. the parts in the game when Max shouts or yells.. it sounds so forced and unnatural. Almost like a parody or Max Payne impersonation.. if that makes sense.

I agree. In the first game his read was nice, droll, and understated, and then in Max 2 it was more forced, like he couldn't find the tone again. Now it's even more over the top. It's a shame, because I still like McCaffrey as the voice, just wish the direction had been a little better.

Digishine

Banned
I'm gonna fucking throw this piece of ps3 out of the window from the 5th floor. Blu-ray reader just gave up...

Yesterday fucking HD now this.

Luckely I got a spare ps3.

S1kkZ

really dont like the framerate (360, installed). its not really choppy, but it feels really slow and not fluid/smooth. i really hoped for solid 30fps. hell, even red dead ran better (most of the time).

I spent the entire first chapter just constantly messing with the sensitivity until I could get it to where I liked(Though it's still not perfect). Kinda ruined the whole beginning of the game for me.

The new gameplay style really clicked with me around chapter 4 and ch.5+6 were a total blast. Really enjoying this game now.

Grisby

really dont like the framerate (360, installed). its not really choppy, but it feels really slow and not fluid/smooth. i really hoped for solid 30fps. hell, even red dead ran better (most of the time).
Yeah, its not completely smooth for me on PS3 either. Kinda sucks but man the game can produce some visuals at points.

Also, I shot a dude and while he was moaning on the ground I spun him around like a top with 3 more bullets. Crazy ass death animations.

Sent a request to the Neogang crew.

PSN ID: SlLENTCAPYBARA (second letter is a lower cased "L", if anyone tries to send a request).

Looking forward to seeing everyone online.

S1kkZ

Yeah, its not completely smooth for me on PS3 either. Kinda sucks but man the game can produce some visuals at points.

Also, I shot a dude and while he was moaning on the ground I spun him around like a top with 3 more bullets. Crazy ass death animations.

yeah, it looks fantastic and has some great details. but for a shooter that requires perfect aiming (at least in free aim mode), the framerate is not helpful.

MercuryLS

Banned
yeah, it looks fantastic and has some great details. but for a shooter that requires perfect aiming (at least in free aim mode), the framerate is not helpful.

I wish games like this were 60fps, I would rather sacrifice visuals for 60fps for a shooter. COD gets it right, there's a reason why it's so fluid and fun to control.

Chapter 7, already 300 headshots!

sofuckinggood.

Hard is pretty brutal but extremely worth it once everything clicks. The Grinds are also fun as hell.

chrislowe

I have to wait until first june to get this :(
couldnt stand the wait so ive watched a few walktroughs, and it looks like Uncharted in some ways! Awesome :)

or should i skip the wait and get it for my xbox or ps3 instead of my pc?
Those releases on 18th instead... damn.. i cant wait i guess =(

If i cant wait, which version is better, xbox 360 or ps3?

KU_

Played up until Chapter 6 last night, and had to force myself to stop. It's been a long time since I've had a videogame capture my attention so much. Great game thus far.

Seeing as us PC peasants weren't allowed our own thread, where's my brothers at, how are you holding up?

I've finished my exams and I'm only busy a few days a week for the next few weeks, so I'm working away at my backlog, along with sociable stuff. Need to do the last bit of ME3, play through much of Skyward Sword, and my Steam backlog is eyewateringly huge, although some of those are time-sink games like Shogun 2.

I agree. In the first game his read was nice, droll, and understated, and then in Max 2 it was more forced, like he couldn't find the tone again. Now it's even more over the top. It's a shame, because I still like McCaffrey as the voice, just wish the direction had been a little better.

I actually quite like it in this game. He sounds like he's becoming unhinged. His narration remains the same, but when he talks to people or shouts, I think he sounds more like a regular, natural person. And as we go on, he sorta sounds more... like I said, unhinged. Especially when he gets super-pissed.

soultron

Banned
I actually quite like it in this game. He sounds like he's becoming unhinged. His narration remains the same, but when he talks to people or shouts, I think he sounds more like a regular, natural person. And as we go on, he sorta sounds more... like I said, unhinged. Especially when he gets super-pissed.

Yeah, I love it. The bass settings on my speakers loves his voice too. Haha.

He has much more reason to be upset in this game and you really feel his anger in the reads in some of the later chapters.

Can someone briefly explain arcade mode? Is it literally the same levels from the campaign but just without cutscenes (but keeping score somehow)? Can you hide the score or is it always on screen?

dorn.

Damn this game is frustrating sometimes. If it wasn't so good I would probably have already rage quit by now. Played the first four chapters, the stadium level really sucked. So much trial and error and so few checkpoints? Fuck you. The New Jersey level was amazing though.

Arcteryx

6 straight times now it has frozen when "joining game". I've deleted the game data (5 gigs) and am redownloading now. I hope this fixes the issue. Anyone else had these issues on PS3?

I had one last night, but none since. It almost seemed like it was PSN, as I tried going on the PSN store afterwards and it wouldn't load.

I really like the voice so far. It plays well for an older, beaten Max. I makes sense the Max has been running that insane internal monologue for years and he must be kind of forcing it by that point in his life, just like the voice actor lol.
I don't have an issue with his dialog either. I feel like it's a good place between totally deadpan and the insanity from Max Payne 1. 'Dodging bullets like raindrops' was fun but it was also silly.

Maybe I shouldn't have started on hard, it's kicking my ass. I'm at the soccer field and I can't even break cover without losing all my health instantly. I can't imagine two hard modes than this.

WTF was wrong with the lasersight on that ealry rifle sequence. The end of the laser point was NOT where the bullets went. Sometimes you would see the traget pop up for a second and it wasn't close to where that sight would end.

When I play again, I'm using hard lock. Free Aim is going to be the end of me.

Raptomex

Can someone briefly explain arcade mode? Is it literally the same levels from the campaign but just without cutscenes (but keeping score somehow)? Can you hide the score or is it always on screen?
I haven't played it yet so I don't know if it's without cutscenes but I know it's timed. I assume it's like New York Minute except you can set the difficulty? Not sure but from what I read today, it's timed. That's all I know for sure. Keeps score and stuff.

Simo

Simo how do I join the crew man :( I got your invite how do I accept it??

If you go to your crews page you should see crews you've been invited to and can accept or deny.

This fucking game man....It's throwing everything at you and just because you think it's "Max in Brazil" it just keeps throwing curve balls at you and you're in all kinds of environments. Story is dark, dark, dark and brutal like somebody already said.

The moment at the bus depot with bald Max we first saw on Game Informer and in the footage. One of those areas in particular I had to reload over and over again just to try out different scenarios because the enemy placement and environment was perfect.

I also had one of the my favorite Final Kill-Cams there involving the Benelli M4 taking out a goon on a platform with neon sign and slowing down the pellets from the round all the way until it hit the guy and breaking some of the sign....only that wasn't the end as the force of M4 caused the guy to also step and fall back and here I am still holding A as his body tumbles to the ground with his final death scream echoing on the way down.

Glorious.

I'm looking to drive some serious time in the MP If there's a GAF crew looking, sign me up. I'm going to be busy today and tomorrow but I'm finally not working this weekend.

Arcteryx

I really like the voice so far. It plays well for an older, beaten Max. I makes sense the Max has been running that insane internal monologue for years and he must be kind of forcing it by that point in his life, just like the voice actor lol.
I don't have an issue with his dialog either. I feel like it's a good place between totally deadpan and the insanity from Max Payne 1. 'Dodging bullets like raindrops' was fun but it was also silly.

Maybe I shouldn't have started on hard, it's kicking me ass. I'm as the soccer filed and I can't even break cover without losing all me health instantly. I can't imagine two hard mosed than this.

WTF was wrong with the lasersight on that ealry rifle sequence. The end of the laser point was NOT where the bullets went. Sometimes you would see the traget pop up for a second and it wasn't close to where that sight would end.

When I play again, I'm using hard lock. Free Aim is going to be the end of me.

Are you talking about the
helicopter sequence
? If so, yea that part was kinda shitty.

Are you talking about the
helicopter sequence
? If so, yea that part was kinda shitty.

Exactly what I was reffering to. It felt WAAAY off. I had to finally adjust to where It looked like I was shooting over thier shoulder just to hit them.

edit: damn I really need to proofread my posts :p I'm using an early IE at the moment and it doesn't tell me when I screw up

TriniTrin

war of titties grampa
Played this for a bit last night when a buddy brought it over. I will be buying it now when it comes out on PC! The game has great gunplay and im liking the story and mechanics of the gameplay so far. I will say the story sequences totally remind me of the movie Man on Fire. The way certain words pop up when they are talking, the way max drinks and I realized he is in south america (like Man on fire). There are some likenesses between those 2 stories in the beginning.

Anyone else playing multiplayer on 360 feel like today is a lot more laggier than yesterday? A lot of more bullcrap is happening like enemies rubberbanding and shots not being detected.

Arcteryx

Was flipping through the NYTimes today and had to chuckle when I saw an ad for Macy's:

had this picture of a guy standing next to a helicopter, with the headline "Sao Paulo". The guy looks VERY similar to someone in the game
the douchebag kid you have to protect

I wonder if the ad was intentional or just a random happening

Ridley327

Anyone else playing multiplayer on 360 feel like today is a lot more laggier than yesterday? A lot of more bullcrap is happening like enemies rubberbanding and shots not being detected.

I played a bit of multiplayer on the PS3 today and had similar issues; it was down for a bit last night, which makes me think that the servers are being overwhelmed right now.

From watching some gameplay, a few of the cutscenes seem completely pointless. Like Passos walking down a corridor. Seriously, why not just let us follow him and have him talk at the same time?

Untracked

Due to circumstances beyond my control it's looking like I'll be getting this on Monday now. I cannot stay at this level of excitement for another 4 days, I will fucking burst! :(

Top Bottom