• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Max Payne 3 |OT| Funny as hell, we couldn't decide on a sub-title

Doesn't look so bad for me then with my 560ti so far.

I requested an invite to the crew btw. Will play as soon as the game arrives in June.

Wow this last page of posts has got me so hyped for the 29th! (pc version release date)
It's rare to see so many glowing impressions in a row. Can't wait. It'll be a nice change of pace from D3.

Tattooth

fj7vv.jpg
Don't know if it has been posted yet but, dat controller!

Playing through Chapter VIII again makes me really want Rockstar to remake The Warriors, something about the music and the atmosphere really reminds me of The Warriors for some reason.

Sethos

Banned
Hope this is legit. Was really worried the game would run like crap. Dual 580GTXs should run the game easily at max without any dips.

Well, it's legit in the sense that it comes from Nvidia themselves ( Check the link ), however we all know benchmarks from GPU companies tend to be a bit skewed. But I'm pretty sure it's fairly on the money.

My question would be, is "High" the maximum or is there a "Max" setting.

Jtrizzy

So is there any more info from the source of that chart as to whether there is another setting above high? GTAIV has "very high" iirc.

I love how deep the social club tracking is for everything you do in single player. Really helps with getting 100%. Was just as great for LA Noire...good times.

Xander51

I've been invited to the crew a couple of times but I don't actually get an invite, just the message saying I've been invited. Has this happened to anyone else?

"Free Aim only" is completely unbalanced in MP (dual pistols). I only play with lock-on online. That's more fun and it's fair.
Try both and you will agree (I guess ^^)

soultron

Banned
Man, this is how a gaming blockbuster should be done. Holy shit. Still can't get over how this game delivered on the hype, in my opinion.

I have a question though. I was watching the D&T videos again and it shows Max doing a roll. AFAIK, the only way to roll is when you're running and want to pick up a weapon; Max will roll over top of the weapon and pick it up. Can you do a roll without having to pick a weapon up?

Raptomex

Man, this is how a gaming blockbuster should be done. Holy shit. Still can't get over how this game delivered on the hype, in my opinion.

I have a question though. I was watching the D&T videos again and it shows Max doing a roll. AFAIK, the only way to roll is when you're running and want to pick up a weapon; Max will roll over top of the weapon and pick it up. Can you do a roll without having to pick a weapon up?
Double tap "A" or "X" on PS3 (I think. I have the 360 version) I believe.

"Free Aim only" is completely unbalanced in MP (dual pistols). I only play with lock-on online. That's more fun and it's fair.
Your joking? Free aim is for those who want to play against others who don't want to be unfairly auto locked to death. No need to jump in the lobbies that don't have the play style you like though.

Teknoman

Double tap sprint.

Himself

So if someone such as myself is of the opinion that the controls and shooting in GTA IV and RDR were both clunky and shitty, is this game any different? I thought the old MPs controlled well enough. The only thing keeping me from giving this a chance is the Rockstar blemish. And how does it compare to well made shooters like Vanquish?

Guys halppppppp

Im in Chapter
I think.

Im in the graveyard as Max mourns his daughter and wife and Passo is covering me while i move from cover to cover because of the sniper. Where the hell am I supposed to flank him!?

So if someone such as myself is of the opinion that the controls and shooting in GTA IV and RDR were both clunky and shitty, is this game any different? I thought the old MPs controlled well enough. The only thing keeping me from giving this a chance is the Rockstar blemish. And how does it compare to well made shooters like Vanquish?

I thought RDR was shit for controls too but this seems to be a lot better. Play free aim though for a real challenge =p
But it definitely controls a lot more...clunkier than MP2. Shootdodge gets effed up by the slightest tap of a piece environment though.
Euphoria is a great engine but it just feels super clunky to me.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Oh man the
final fight
is retardedly difficult. Yet I'm not the least bothered by it.

Teknoman

it prob prob fall between the first two, thankfully i have the 680 =P

Well damn...crazy that Max Payne 3 even beats out Witcher II as far as pushing hardware.

Of course if I can play @ 1440x900, high settings, and stay a smooth 30 fps at least...I cant complain. Would have liked at or around 60 though :p

Evolved1

Guys halppppppp

Im in Chapter
I think.

Im in the graveyard as Max mourns his daughter and wife and Passo is covering me while i move from cover to cover because of the sniper. Where the hell am I supposed to flank him!?

Anywhere, just get
under him on his flank and when you have an open shot, shoot him

Guys halppppppp

Im in Chapter
I think.

To the left of the stairs is a gravestone, you should have an angle to get a shot on him

delta25

Banned
NeoGang, get locked and loaded.

Hmm...looking at that...where do you guys think a Radeon 4890 2GB would fall by comparison?

I dunno man

I have a huge feeling the PC port is going to be a real mess. I'm not sure as to why the game is so demanding, either its horribly optimized or the game is taken advantage of some high end PC features, but judging by the official PC screenshots the PC version doesn't look a whole lot better then the console version, so I'm not sure if that's even the case.

Played up to and through Chapter 5.....

MY GOD

This game is absolutely delivering. The shootouts are a joy to play through, and even when I've died, I don't care because it's so fun to shoot these guys. The voice acting, the presentation, the writing, the graphics, I love it all. No it's not Max Payne 2, and no it's clearly not a Sam Lake written project, but it's great nonetheless. Chapter 5 was giving me some major True Lies + 80's action film flashbacks. I already want to replay everything.

*BOW* ROCKSTAR

Oh and the soundtrack is top notch. HEALTH really did a great job.

Anywhere, just get
under him on his flank and when you have an open shot, shoot him

To the left of the stairs is a gravestone, you should have an angle to get a shot on him

Thats the thing, i shoot him dead in the face and he has like an invisible wall protecting him =/ I even shot a couple of grenade shots up there and he's like the terminator. No flinches like he's getting shot just shooting at me

Teknoman

I dunno man

I have a huge feeling the PC port is going to be a real mess. I'm not sure as to why the game is so demanding, either its horribly optimized or the game is taken advantage of some high end PC features, but judging by the official PC screenshots the game doesn't look a whole lot better then the console version, so I'm not sure if that's even the reason.

Thats why i'm hesitant to preordering on steam/amazon. Honestly all I want is 60 fps and the game to look as good if not slightly better than console version. Of course if it turns out busted...well...i'll have to decide between 360 and PS3.

Thats the thing, i shoot him dead in the face and he has like an invisible wall protecting him =/ I even shot a couple of grenade shots up there and he's like the terminator. No flinches like he's getting shot just shooting at me

I ran to the far right towards a locked gate and shot him from there. Maybe try that?

Raptomex

Well damn...crazy that Max Payne 3 even beats out Witcher II as far as pushing hardware.

Of course if I can play @ 1440x900, high settings, and stay a smooth 30 fps at least...I cant complain. Would have liked at or around 60 though :p
I play at 1440x900. I'm hoping my 560ti 2gb can run this max without any dips. According to that chart I should be okay. Just above the 60fps mark.

Just beat this on medium, PS3. I didn't like Chapter 2 & 4. I also didn't like the last man standing gimmick too much. Too many times the fuckshit that killed me would be obscured and I couldn't get the shot.

Otherwise this game fucking owned. I liked the ending too.

delta25

Banned
Thats why i'm hesitant to preordering on steam/amazon. Honestly all I want is 60 fps and the game to look as good if not slightly better than console version. Of course if it turns out busted...well...i'll have to decide between 360 and PS3.

I don't think you'll get anywhere near 60 fps unfortunately.

soultron

Banned

He's looking and shooting through a decorative grate/latticework stone wall. If you go either to the right or the left where you can clearly see him, you can get a shot off. It confused me too, but I listened to Passos and he was yelling out,
"Don't go up the stairs, take cover by a gravestone!"
or something like that. I took the advice and then shot that dude in the ear.

Man, in chapter 11,
on the boat on the Panama Canal
, the music was incredible. Just thumping and droning on. Amazing.

Evolved1

Just beat this on medium, PS3. I didn't like Chapter 2 & 4. I also didn't like the last man standing gimmick too much. Too many times the fuckshit that killed me would be obscured and I couldn't get the shot.

Otherwise this game fucking owned. I liked the ending too.

I can't seem to get past
the final fight...
lol... :(

soultron

Banned
It was kinda crappy how they handled that bit.

Especially how the door opens in the next cutscene. I was looking forward to running up on him like the sniper in the baseball stadium.

One thing I don't like about the game, and I don't know if anyone else has run into this problem, is that when Last Man Standing is engaged, I find that sometimes I run out of ammo and am simply left waiting defenseless. Dudes don't even shoot back. I just have to wait until the "timer" runs down and I die. It's kind of weird and immersion shattering.

Completely disagree. You can dominate no matter which weapon you have, it just comes down to aiming, reflexes, and who gets the drop. I purposely played with only 1 pistol through multiple matches last night and out-shot people dual wielding, and those using 2 handed weapons. Soft-lock matches encourage hard aim snap locking from medium to far distances and slow the game's pace. It also ruins bullet time encounters. Dual pistols are powerful, but not unbeatable.

But feel free to play whatever you want, dat just mah opinion.

Top Bottom