• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Max Payne 3 |OT| Funny as hell, we couldn't decide on a sub-title

Ridley327

From watching some gameplay, a few of the cutscenes seem completely pointless. Like Passos walking down a corridor. Seriously, why not just let us follow him and have him talk at the same time?

There's a lot of little cutscenes like that, and I think that the only reason they exist is because of the loading. This game does an obscene amount of loading in every mode.

Ridley327

What's the point of having less "weight" in MP?

I carry 2 weapons and one helmet and it's "heavy"

There's basically three classes of characters in multiplayer:

Light-unlimited stamina and faster health regen
Medium-normal stamina and normal health regen
Heavy-low stamina and slow health regen

The balancing comes with what you can actually equip, so while a Heavy character sounds bad on paper, the fact that they can have damage-reducing armor or bigger guns can make up for it, and a Light character would have limited weapons (maybe not even a grenade) and basically no armor.

Quikies83

I had one last night, but none since. It almost seemed like it was PSN, as I tried going on the PSN store afterwards and it wouldn't load.

I can access the PSN store fine. Still having the same issues though. I've unlocked 4 golden guns so far in SP -- have yet to be able to join a online match -- pretty sweet.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Last part of the game is giving me some trouble... but I have no doubt I'll get it in the next few tries. Amazing sequence though.

MP3 and Journey get my award for best use of music this gen.

Max Payne 3 is my favorite game of the generation. Just hit on pretty much every note. I will play this over and over. And even MP.

Are there any stealth missions?

Not really. Couple little spots where you can go low profile for a little bit... get a neat kill or two. There's kind of a cool moment in the game though where Max intends to be stealthy... but um... he's fucking Max Payne.

Sky Chief

I really like the voice so far. It plays well for an older, beaten Max. I makes sense the Max has been running that insane internal monologue for years and he must be kind of forcing it by that point in his life, just like the voice actor lol.
I don't have an issue with his dialog either. I feel like it's a good place between totally deadpan and the insanity from Max Payne 1. 'Dodging bullets like raindrops' was fun but it was also silly.

Maybe I shouldn't have started on hard, it's kicking my ass. I'm at the soccer field and I can't even break cover without losing all my health instantly. I can't imagine two hard modes than this.

WTF was wrong with the lasersight on that ealry rifle sequence. The end of the laser point was NOT where the bullets went. Sometimes you would see the traget pop up for a second and it wasn't close to where that sight would end.

When I play again, I'm using hard lock. Free Aim is going to be the end of me.

Yeah, something is off there.

Also, sometimes Max's movement is messed up, he just will not move in the direction that I push the left stick. I also hate how in Rockstar games when you want to run somewhere the character sometimes starts trying to run in the opposite direction and then turns on a dime. They seem to handle character movement very poorly.

This game has just done it for me, they're some corks/kinks here and there (checkpoints, some weird collision detection issues) but overall, its been seriously my favorite action game this generation, and really of all time I think. It is lacking the dream like Max Payne vibe from the first one, its not that its bad, its just different, I could see long time fans being a little upset over that, but the action and gameplay are absolutely stellar. I don't even really mind having to play a section over again, battles can play out completely different, so its replayability is great in that aspect.

Anyways, well played Rockstar. I'm sure Rockstar can easily look past the lower than avg reviews, they know they made a fantastic game.

One thing I will complain about is the amount of cutscenes. There are more here than Uncharted, and more times when control is taken out of your hands, I think. Of course only Uncharted gets called out for this, so it's all good.

I've literally fell asleep during some of them, and like someone else said earlier, a few of them seem pointless. The narrative is a bit overwrought at times. Then the shooting starts, and I forget all about these things u til the dust clears, lol.

micah

6 straight times now it has frozen when "joining game". I've deleted the game data (5 gigs) and am redownloading now. I hope this fixes the issue. Anyone else had these issues on PS3?

I've had this exact same problem, reinstalling did not resolve it for me. I have no issues with online in other games. This one will freeze before games generally, sometimes even in game!

sfedai0

Banned
Will newcomers, such as myself find this game fun if we havent played any of the prior games? Also, the only third person shooter Ive played is the Uncharted series....is this along the same lines?

Arcteryx

Will newcomers, such as myself find this game fun if we havent played any of the prior games? Also, the only third person shooter Ive played is the Uncharted series....is this along the same lines?

Do you like Michael Mann movies? Blowing shit up? Guns? Good music?

Then yes.

And yea, I'd say its similar to UC, but w/o the platforming sections and with better gunplay.

MercuryLS

Banned
God, once you get used the controls and your own ability the game really comes into it's own. My aim is a lot better and I know what I can get away with and what I can't to complete sections unscathed. When things just click, it becomes a beautifully orchestrated bullet ballet.

This game is brilliant.

Arcteryx

Anyone have a good multiplayer primer? I hopped into a game for like 5 mins and had no idea what was going on.

I was the same way at first too. Make sure to check out the loadout/avatar section; I spent 20-30 minutes just reading the different things you can equip/attach, should give you a good start with that.

The MP is pretty deep. I was honestly surprised at all the different unlocks you can get. Some pretty awesome combos.

Played a bit this afternoon with someone who had 2x 1911s w/ lasers...dude was DESTROYING people. Might have to give pistols only a go in a bit.

what the hell is up with the checkpoints in chapter V ? I'm playing on normal and I have to repeat the same scene for 9 times now.

stupid.

Yeah they do kind of suck and you need to get better at the same time. just like the older games its all about enemy placement memorization and going from there. It's only harder (and def depending on your difficulty level) because the AI is so damn good at mixing shit up.

edit: BEST ORIGINAL SOUNDTRACK THIS GEN

what the hell is up with the checkpoints in chapter V ? I'm playing on normal and I have to repeat the same scene for 9 times now.

stupid.

Don't die.

Just need to suck less man :p

i7mFcgj8v9Www.gif

SUCH a cool easter egg in Chapter X:

In the bus depot, after you climb the railing and tell the girl to go on ahead, if you go inside the room on the right and watch TV, there's an episode of Captain Baseball Bat Boy on. Afterwards, a news report plays. The ticker on the bottom of the news contains headlines, each one of which contains a chapter title from Max Payne 1 or 2. After THAT, there's an advertisement for a 'Hotel Mona', which has a snippet of dialogue from Mona's original voice actor. Max says something pretty great after turning the TV off as well.

In the bus depot, after you climb the railing and tell the girl to go on ahead, if you go inside the room on the right and watch TV, there's an episode of Captain Baseball Bat Boy on. Afterwards, a news report plays. The ticker on the bottom of the news contains headlines, each one of which contains a chapter title from Max Payne 1 or 2. After THAT, there's an advertisement for a 'Hotel Mona', which has a snippet of dialogue from Mona's original voice actor. Max says something pretty great after turning the TV off as well.

I've missed so many easter eggs on my first playthrough. Once I'm done the story, I'm restarting and taking my time to find all these things.

Arcteryx

Yea I thought the
TV shows were an awesome nostalgia trip too. I watched some in that crazy(or maybe badass) guys' apartment(the dude who blew himself up).

MMaRsu

Who is down for some multi on ps3? Free aim only;). Add me on psn if you wanna play.. id is same as my gaf handle.

Someone please tell me how to accept a crew invite.. kills are getting wasted here.

dreamfall

It's just so good... Just hit Chapter VIII, and I keep stopping myself from playing because I don't want it to end! Pacing it for a chapter or two a day, to reflect on all these years of waiting. So, so wonderful!

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Jesus, this game is incredible. Amazing polish. Just finished chapter 9 and it just keeps upping the ante. It's really refreshing to play a shooter that is actually aimed at adults and has a meaty single player component.

By any chance, is there a mod for Max Payne 1+2 that supports wide-screen and actually pretty it up a little bit?

I wanna give those games a go before I play Max Payne 3.

My 360 copy is arriving tomorrow (day early in UK woo!), so after my exam which I'm very ill-prepared for, I'm gonna go and give this a twirl :)

Top Bottom