• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

May Wrasslin' |OT| Dontaku about Legit Shook

somedevil

From the Observer:

TNA is building to a match between Bully Ray and Hulk Hogan, possibly for this year's Bound For Glory pay-per-view.

Why? It seems like they love to not to create new stars.

Aiii

So not worth it
Have you not been watching Impact? This is the direction they've been heading to for months, I am not surprised.

rvy

Banned
TNA realized that they needed to make "new stars" when the "new stars" they had in 2003 were already old.

somedevil

Have you not been watching Impact? This is the direction they've been heading to for months, I am not surprised.

I have but I didn't think they would be stupid to use stars from the 90's that are old. Can you imagine Bully Ray selling for Hogan? I rather see AJ Styles in face paint win it.

Also, buyrates are in:

Royal Rumble: 512,000 up from 443,000 last year
E. Chamber: 213,000 up from 178,000 last year

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Dontaku is so close. I'm so excited. Still bummed I can't watch live. Doesn't matter.

NJPW is the best in the business and will show you all, again why they are! I beg any of you who are fatigued of WWE to give them a shot. One shot is all you'll need, and you'll understand.

BFIB

Dontaku is so close. I'm so excited. Still bummed I can't watch live. Doesn't matter.

NJPW is the best in the business and will show you all, again why they are! I beg any of you who are fatigued of WWE to give them a shot. One shot is all you'll need, and you'll understand.

I really should get into NJPW.

But its hard to watch and not know Japanese. But the atmosphere for their shows is second to none.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member

But its hard to watch and not know Japanese. But the atmosphere for their shows is second to none.

It's never been an issue for me - luckily almost ALL of the storytelling they do needs no language and it done by the body. Really good stuff. Sometimes you'll get a promo though that you gotta guess at.

jmdajr

So I'm seeing highlights of the Undertaker wrestling Dean Ambrose on Smackdown just now for the first time (haven't read up on any results since Mania).

What's the story behind this? How long is Taker sticking around for?

I think that was just a one time deal.

jred2k

The commentators are really good at expressing excitement. The language barrier can be made up for by the emotion.

Ithil

My eyes.

NXT was pretty good, really enjoyed the main event a lot, definitely watch it if you get the chance. Paige vs Summer Rae wasn't bad, two really stiff strikes from Paige in this one. Had to laugh at the "NO MORE BO!" chants Bo Dallas was getting throughout the 3-way tag match. I don't remember him getting that same sort of hate before he got called up, in hindsight, they really should have given the spot in the Rumble to Neville, would have been a great way to debut him and the corkscrew SSP. It's far easier to introduce a guy when they've got a hook like a big crazy high-flying move. What's Bo got? Pretty much nothing.

ilIckyNowjHKW.gif

Bo is already getting the Cena reaction in developmental (when he's a nobody), he has no chance of ever making it as a big name in WWE. Hell he's already got that Cena push of putting him with popular guys (in this case, Adrian Neville, who is actually talented) to try and leech off their overness.

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
You could also try not listening to the commentary. Turn on some ambient music like Two Steps From Hell's work and then make your own commentary.
It's not for everyone, but I've seen people get in a show they don't know the language of before. It doesn't seem to hurt watching video game matches either for Fire Pro Wrestling.

With or without commentary though, everything is still set up and told in the ring.Trust me, even with the commentary being understood you aren't gaining that much more on what is happening in the ring; Mostly it's just the style being explained, past attempts at the moves, or LARIAT!, or who they think will win the match, all of which you can pick up just by watching.

Ithil

All I need to know is when Okada cracks the other guy with his finisher and the commentary is screaming "RAINMAKAAAAAAHHHHH!", I understand the language just fine. Excitement in commentary is all I need, even if I don't understand the exact words.

Japanese is an excitable sort of language anyway, but the NJPW commentary I've seen has always been super energetic and makes the match feel like a big deal even if it's lower on the card.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I really wish Justice League would have ended after Epilogue. This last season is some weird, barrel scraping stuff. The only episode I've liked is the one were Flash gets a museum dedicated to him and his rouges try to fuck it up. The drop in story quality is a bummer. It's so obvious they weren't expecting to make this season.

Both of the good episodes that season outside of the new finale are Flash episodes.

The real finale of the show is good but not epilogue good and yes, it's entirely due to them not knowing if they'd get picked up and all the bat embargo nonsense.

strobogo

Banned
A. Puro commentary is THE BEST. Even in video game form. KOCII has the best commentary for a wrestling game by 1000%.

B. I had a kale, cauliflower, broccoli, celery, green onion, carrot, maroon carrot lunch with some pepper and Mrs. Dash. It was fantastic. I'm gonna have vitamin A and C overdoses today.

XenoRaven

Watch NJPW people. Nearly all the problems WWE has are non-existant in NJPW. For example, the current (2-time?) champion is 25 years old. 25! Like they saw a young guy with a ton of talent and didn't put him through some wacky hazing period or job him out to 50 year old "legends" who can barely wrestle anymore. They gave him the most important belt. Twice! At least! Maybe more! I don't know because I just started watching!

Speaking of the belt, it is sacred. At one point the camera stops following the Tanahashi/Okada match to do a close-up of the belt. You can see the prize they're fighting for! Also, there is actually a ceremony to bestow the belt on a new winner. They get a certificate, some trophies, and then someone puts the belt on them. They don't even have to do it themselves!

Look, there is a shit ton of wrestling out there, and it's tough to keep up with everything unless you're a hardcore enthusiast. But you don't have to worry about any of that stuff. NJPW is good enough that you don't really need to go anywhere else. I better see some god damn Dontaku discussion next week and it better be more people than Bootaaay, Sunflower, and FallingEdge, or whoever else talks about Japanese wrestling all the time. New blood! Come on!

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Speaking of the belt, it is sacred. At one point the camera stops following the Tanahashi/Okada match to do a close-up of the belt. You can see the prize they're fighting for! Also, there is actually a ceremony to bestow the belt on a new winner. They get a certificate, some trophies, and then someone puts the belt on them. They don't even have to do it themselves!

One of my favorite things is before a championship match they show a brief video of the previous championship holders and what order they were in. Adds prestige. Makes you know the fight you're about to see is on the level of these greats.

Ithil

Watch NJPW people. Nearly all the problems WWE has are non-existant in NJPW. For example, the current (2-time?) champion is 25 years old. 25! Like they saw a young guy with a ton of talent and didn't put him through some wacky hazing period or job him out to 50 year old "legends" who can barely wrestle anymore. They gave him the most important belt. Twice! At least! Maybe more! I don't know because I just started watching!

Look, there is a shit ton of wrestling out there, and it's tough to keep up with everything unless you're a hardcore enthusiast. But you don't have to worry about any of that stuff. NJPW is good enough that you don't really need to go anywhere else. I better see some god damn Dontaku discussion next week and it better be more people than Bootaaay, Sunflower, and FallingEdge, or whoever else talks about Japanese wrestling all the time. New blood! Come on!

I saw that when watching the Okada/Tanahashi match where he won the title for the first time, really cool stuff. I think it plays better to the respectful Japanese audience, but something more dignified like that would be a good idea for the WWE title.

Ithil

Big E not being level 5 is a missed opportunity. But good work, I hope someone posted it on Team Rocket's twitters.

Shit. This is VERY good.

i9YD6vcS3Shv3.gif

Amazing. Simply amazing. That has to be one of my favorite gifs right now.

Imma be sure to watch it but will watch on VOD. Body wants to sleep instead =/

And in case you missed it, Hiroshi Tanahashi (c) vs. Kazuchika Okada

jmdajr

Rae is a former Lingerie Football League player, a cornerback and captain for the Chicago Bliss.

rae_original.jpg

I had no idea.

My knowledge is pretty much "Dem legs"

jred2k

Rae is a former Lingerie Football League player, a cornerback and captain for the Chicago Bliss.

http://cdn.bleacherreport.net/images_root/article/media_slots/photos/000/842/172/rae_original.jpg?1367501473[IMG]

I had no idea.

My knowledge is pretty much "Dem legs"[/QUOTE]

I swear I only looked to see what number she is.

Yeah that's why I said "next week". There's no way I can stay up to watch it live.

Also that gif is incredible. I wish gifs had sound so we could get some victory fanfare over that.

Fair enough :)

And after watching more AAW, I am officially a mark for Silas Young. I see no gifs of him on the internet. Need to fix that this weekend.

Another match from the AIW J.T. Lightning Invitational Tournament;

ibwVJGA842bD4P.jpg

This one should be a lot of fun, Fontaine's a great pick to face Veda.

FallingEdge said:
And after watching more AAW, I am officially a mark for Silas Young.

I like him too, he's severely underrated, imo - ROH gave him the barest sniff of a shot, but didn't do much with him, which was a shame. He's good in the ring, he's good on the mic.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Didnt Silas Young do something and "blow" his chance at ROH? I think that was a thing

Are you saying he did or did not suck someone off? Is that what the quotes are for? Or...?

dream

I just googled "Silas Young" because I love stories of future broken down, drug-addicted conmen having to give blowies for a "break" on the indies. And, holy shit, he looks just like Cowboy James Storm, who used to give many blowies to Bob Ryder, the Lou Pearlman of pro wrestling.

Does Bob Ryder work with Ring of Honor? Is it possible that this "Silas Young" character has given Bob Ryder blowies?

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Good "question" Sunflower, what do "you" think happened?

From what I "hear" with my "ears" he either "created a bomb" or "didnt suck the right dick"

I don't know what I'm saying anymore so I'll drop it until I get clued in.

Alright, I'll discuss NJPW as well. Gonna try to catch Dontaku, too.

BFIB

I have a busy last part of the week ahead with a busy weekend and travel.

Gonna try and fit in Donkatu somewhere though. WWE isn't giving me what I want out of wrestling anymore (until Punk returns), but I miss it in my life.

Top Bottom