• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

May Wrasslin' |OT| "Not a good thread. Not a bad thread. But THEE Thread" "

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Pre NWO Nitros are generally quite watchable and better than any of the PPVs up until Great American Bash, which is an amazing show.

Big Show could crush Rey's face with his hand.

Or

tOzltmU.gif

Carnby

Guise, my 5 year old son is obsessed with wrestling. OBSESSED! He loves it and I barley had anything to do with it. One day he wanted to watch it with me and the rest is history... So how obsessed is he?

- He knows the difference between WWF, WWE, NXT, ROH, and WCW. He also knows the difference between Rock n Wrestling, New Generation, PG Era, and The New Era. (I skipped over Attitude Era and to a lesser extent Ruthless Aggression.)

- He knows the lyrics to almost every entrance theme. He even knows the lyrics to Tyson Kidd's song! I don't even remember the last time I heard that song.

- he watched all the WWF main events from November 96 to February 97. He always wants to see what happened next.

- he almost cried when he learned that Ryback left WWE. :(

- he's still talking about Joe taking Fin Balor's NXT title! He's outraged! Hehe

Guise, my 5 year old son is obsessed with wrestling. OBSESSED! He loves it and I barley had anything to do with it. One day he wanted to watch it with me and the rest is history... So how obsessed is he?

- He knows the difference between WWF, WWE, NXT, ROH, and WCW. He also knows the difference between Rock n Wrestling, New Generation, PG Era, and The New Era. (I skipped over Attitude Era and to a lesser extent Ruthless Aggression.)

- He knows the lyrics to almost every entrance theme. He even knows the lyrics to Tyson Kidd's son! I don't even remember the last time I heard that song.

- he watched all the WWF main events from November 96 to February 97. He always wants to see what happened next.

- he's still talking about Joe taking Fin Balor's NXT title! He's outraged! Hehe

Did you tell him about us?

Zach

Poor Carnby, Jr.

Okay, so maybe I'm a little jealous. My son's only interest is his fascination in the different federations. Really. That's it. I usually have it on in the living room while he's getting ready for bed in the kitchen (he brushes his teeth and takes medz in there like a weirdo) and he'll be like "which one is this?" and I'll be like "WCW" and he'll be like "and that one's dead now?" And I'm like "yeah."

This basically happens every day. >_>

Fox318

- He knows the lyrics to almost every entrance theme. He even knows the lyrics to Tyson Kidd's song! I don't even remember the last time I heard that song.

At least you didn't act like every other father when they find out his son likes wrestling :"you know this shit is fake right? Its a work!"

What a sight to see.
Last year, I had a chance to meet The dragon, Luger, and Chyna at our comic con. Media gets in free but I had to work that weekend so it was a bo go as I wasn't getting up early just to see the stars. I regret it because of Chyna passing but ee have her interview she gave to one of our photographers on archive. Everyone knew who she was well most of the guys I worked with. She looked really good. Luger held a church service Sunday downtown,so it wad a successful weekend I'd assume.

I think my one complaint so far is that titles are mostly meaningless in WCW, but that's because I'm missing Saturday Night.

Still, there's not a lot going on there.

Also Dusty is awful on commentary.

And Konan is getting pushed... over Eddy.

Carnby

At least you didn't act like every other father when they find out his son likes wrestling :"you know this shit is fake right? Its a work!"

I treat wrestling like I do Santa. It's still real to him, even to a fault. For example when we play wrestle, if he pretends to be Andre, I can't be Ice Train, because it's historically inaccurate.

You're a good father

It was part of an important lesson that all wrestling fans must learn. Everyone leaves wrestling eventually.

Zach

Least favorite thing about wrestling in early '99 (and probably '98, I don't remember): rampant low blows.

It's almost modern-day DDT/superkick levels. Usually the ref sees it. Usually there is no disqualification.

Last year, I had a chance to meet The dragon, Luger, and Chyna at our comic con. Media gets in free but I had to work that weekend so it was a bo go as I wasn't getting up early just to see the stars. I regret it because of Chyna passing but ee have her interview she gave to one of our photographers on archive. Everyone knew who she was well most of the guys I worked with. She looked really good. Luger held a church service Sunday downtown,so it wad a successful weekend I'd assume.

That had to be one heck of a weekend.

Least favorite thing about wrestling in early '99 (and probably '98, I don't remember): rampant low blows.

It's almost modern-day DDT/superkick levels. Usually the ref sees it. Usually there is no disqualification.

Just like in the AKI games.

Which makes me posit: I think the generation of wrestlers who kick out of and steal finishers got it from AKI. They, like me, were so in awe that you could press A+B and steal the other guy's finisher that they made it a more common thing in the Sport. For shame.

I treat wrestling like I do Santa. It's still real to him, even to a fault. For example when we play wrestle, if he pretends to be Andre, I can't be Ice Train, because it's historically inaccurate.
Luckily, my parents never told me wrestling, Santa, nor the Easter Bunny were fake. I still believe in it all 😢.

If I ever have kids, all they will watch is wrestling products. Hulkamania in the morning. SNME at night..... Oooooh yeah!

But it's good you allow him to have an imagination unlike some pussy ass parents. Let your kid be a kid. And if they get suspended from school for powerbombing someone on the playground, then tell them that the other kid shouldn't have picked on him. I never got suspended for wrestling activity lol.

Zach

Just like in the AKI games.

Which makes me posit: I think the generation of wrestlers who kick out of and steal finishers got it from AKI. They, like me, were so in awe that you could press A+B and steal the other guy's finisher that they made it a more common thing in the Sport. For shame.
weebey.gif

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I think my one complaint so far is that titles are mostly meaningless in WCW, but that's because I'm missing Saturday Night.

Still, there's not a lot going on there.

Also Dusty is awful on commentary.

And Konan is getting pushed... over Eddy.

To be fair, Konnan was just coming off being one of the top 5 guys in Mexico in popularity. And Eddie was still 'Not Art Barr'

RBH

CidFzzTWgAABVF7.jpg

WWE NXT Superstar and former Tough Enough participant Patrick Clark has been trying out a new controversial gimmick at live events this week. After cutting a promo on Friday night in Bartow, FL and saying women belong in the kitchen instead of the ring, Clark apparently endorsed WWE Hall of Famer and Presidential candidate Donald Trump at tonight’s live event in Jacksonville, FL.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Off-topic as usual, but I was thinking about my 10 favorite games of last generation and it's a weird list. Though it's one I'm always scared to post, not because of my choices, but I feel like I'll immediately remember some game I really loved that I hadn't thought about in years.

There are zero From Software and Naughty Dog games on my list

Bizazedo

Just got home from CZW. God, death matches are so bad, but their regular stuff is good. Zandig showed up near the end, but since I am fairly new I did not give a s***. Funny thing for me was that half the crowd cheered him when he said that the promotion should go back to the way it used to be and half boo him because deathmatches suck.

At this point I only associate fat and out of shape fucks with Deathmatches..as in the wrestlers themselves.

Bizazedo

Messed up quote on my phone, but about that free CZW show..

Yeah, part of me wondered if that was bullshit to goad the extra from Green Room to come out.

I sat behind Zandig for the entire WSU show, he did a shit job hiding his presence.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I wonder if Rey would have gotten lost in the shuffle had he been involved in the Invasion angle rather than showing up down the road. You'd like to think he would have been fine, but the angle was so completely toxic and the hype promos for him made him seem like such a big deal. And he was a big deal. He was so ridiculously over in WCW, mask or no mask. I'd say from 99 onwards, he was always in the top 5 most over faces.

PwqlyjQ.jpg

Something somewhere went very, very wrong

MG310

Back from NJPW/ROH

Terminal 5 is kinda shitty for wrestling - seemed like a lot of people who thought they had seats in the balcony really had either no seats to begin with or had to get there early to get a barstool. Lots of people standing for the 4 or more hours.

Dalton Castle got a ridiculous pop and the 4 way with Elgin, Lio Rush and Moose was a lot of fun. Elgin even got in some comedy work trying to get The Boys to fan him.

They probably should have swapped Lio Rush and Silas Young's spot on the card. Kushida/Young was fine but that is not the man to do a pull down the trunks spot on..particularly not with the view we had from the balcony. I love that "The Last Real Man" has to have the most filippy of bullshit in his moveset with that handstand-to-springboard moonsault thing. It's impressive that he can do it but doesn't seem to fit him at all.

Sydal/Tanahashi was good and I'd love to see what they could do given more time.

Naito/ACH was good too. Lots of Naito doing his Tranquilo spots. ACH doing the Flash Kick with Naito perched on the top rope looked ridiculous in person.

War Machine/Addiction was just setting up another match between them so there wasn't a whole lot to it.

Briscoes/Liger vs. Bullet Club was enjoyable. Jay Briscoe seemed like he was loving every second of getting to team up with Liger. Tama Tonga looks too cool for the rest of this struggle Bullet Club.

Beretta/Gedo vs. Motor City Machine Guns was a lot of Gedo/Baretta heeling it up. Thought Romero had an injury but he still interfered and took some bumps.

They taped another BJ Whitmer/Steve Corino segment where it took BJ Whitmer 15 minutes to call Corino a bitch and Corino to reply "Nuh uh, you're a bitch" and set up their future match.

Unfortunately I had to leave before Okada/Ishii vs. Cole/A Young Buck vs. Strong/Lethal. Enjoyed damn near everything that I saw.

Top Bottom