• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

May Wrasslin' |OT| "Not a good thread. Not a bad thread. But THEE Thread" "

Didn't realize the Bellas sounded so douchey until Total Divas. The way they talk is... whew

Personal opinions of Brandon Stroud aside, he made me howl when he said that after Bryan proposed to Brie she sounded like she was going to say "Oh my gawd, Bryan, that's so gay."

So Zodiac is The Booty Man now? Hogan putting over Arn doesn't excuse this nepotism.

After leaving The Dungeon of Doom, Leslie became The Booty Man, and his gimmick was that of a man infatuated with his own buttocks, shaking them on the way to the ring and during matches. His signature move was a high knee (a homonym of "hiney"). He was accompanied to the ring by Kimberly Page (who became known as The Booty Babe), and feuded with Diamond Dallas Page (at the time, Kimberly's real-life husband).

Fuck me.

The Booty Man, like Leslie's other WCW gimmicks, did not last long. When the nWo started, he attempted to join and was instead attacked by Scott Hall, Kevin Nash and Hollywood Hogan. Leslie then left WCW for nearly two years.

ahahahaha excellent

LOD confronts Luger and Sting and challenges them to a Chicago Street Fight. Luger is all riled up and accepts. LOD leaves up the ramp, and then Luger realizes... "What does that mean anyway? ... I'm from Chicago, what is a Chicago Street Fight!?"

CiaQK6xU4AEW6j4.jpg

this supposed to a good or bad thing for TNA?

Zach

So Zodiac is The Booty Man now? Hogan putting over Arn doesn't excuse this nepotism.

Fuck me.

ahahahaha excellent

LOD confronts Luger and Sting and challenges them to a Chicago Street Fight. Luger is all riled up and accepts. LOD leaves up the ramp, and then Luger realizes... "What does that mean anyway? ... I'm from Chicago, what is a Chicago Street Fight!?"

I'm jealous of where you are in your journey. : (

Sting to Crow Sting has been in the top ten reimaging of a wrestler to date, right?

Top ten? I sure hope so.

Biker Taker is by far my favourite Taker. Screw the haters.

KEEP ROLLIN ROLLIN ROLLIN ROLLIN

You can just roll right out of this thread, I Wanna Be The Guy!

Hex

Banned
The entire family is. Total Bellas is gonna be Jersey Shore levels of douchyness

That is honestly the perfect description.
And Eva's guy is a twat, and that hipster fuck that Paige was with would be awesome if El Patron beat his ass and sent him back to the flannel factory.

Data West has transcended wrassle space and time.

AKA WCW Thunder

They better add that shit before I get to it.

Fave Five re-gimmickings AKA the five I remember off the top of my head

1. Scott Steiner
2. Sting
3. Taker
4. Hollywood Hogan
5. ????

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Network always makes me think of how terrible wrestling is to kids. Or it was to me. I'd watch Nitro and Thunder every week. And Saturday most weeks. But my parents were never going to spend like 50 dollars or whatever every single month to see the PPVs. So all that build up was usually for nothing for me beyond the Nitro after showing short clips.(WWE's cheap ass just showed stills) and that was it. It didn't bother me at the time but retrospectively, watching wrestling weekly as a kid before the Network must have sucked

I mean now it sucks weekly but it's because of what you do see rather than what you don't see.

I never even got to see all of RAW because it was past my bedtime. I would hear about it at school or check online in the morning when it became less popular. Needless to say my perception of wrasslin was warped for some time.

Beefcake was a spy for the Mega Powers. Mongo says "Hogan read Sun Tzu's the Art of War, which states one of the main stipulations is you must have spies in the other camp." Bischoff then says, "I might know something about that. *cough*"

Is he winking to all the smart marks out there? Funny.

Zach

Network always makes me think of how terrible wrestling is to kids. Or it was to me. I'd watch Nitro and Thunder every week. And Saturday most weeks. But my parents were never going to spend like 50 dollars or whatever every single month to see the PPVs. So all that build up was usually for nothing for me beyond the Nitro after showing short clips.(WWE's cheap ass just showed stills) and that was it. It didn't bother me at the time but retrospectively, watching wrestling weekly as a kid before the Network must have sucked

I mean now it sucks weekly but it's because of what you do see rather than what you don't see.

Haha, Data West. What a crotchety rascal.

There was only a short amount of time when wrestling was at its hottest that I got to watch PPVs. I had a drunken uncle who would buy them. Good times.

But when I wasn't able to watch the PPVs, that feeling of needing to see Nitro was the best. I just couldn't wait to see what happened the night before on PPV -- in narrated stills, of course.

What a fun time in life. Wrasslin' used to make Mondays the best -- Mondays! Sitting through class was torturous, but delightful, because I'd be daydreaming the whole time about Nitro that night.

Anyway. >_>

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
The wrestlers were all-around better. WWF's edginess always felt cornball to me even as a young kid. The only person I liked in WWF was Steve Austin. NWO was cool. DX was lame as fuck.

And the luchadors and cruiserweights. Ultimo Dragon, Rey Mysterio, La Parka, and Psicosis put an impression on you instantly that TAKA Michinoku will never put on you. And I like TAKA.
CfjlBqvUMAA0eyI.jpg

Zach

Data, Zach, anyone else who cares to answer: what made you favor WCW over WWF (or vice versa)?

You know, I think my first wrassle experiences were with WCW, so I'm sure that plays a part in it. I don't know if that seals the deal automatically for WCW -- I still liked a lot of WWF when I could catch it as a kid -- but it got a head start, for sure.

Anyway, ignoring that, I think I've always just appreciated that WCW treated it more like a sport. I mean, that's what it really boils down to. WCW was more sports and WWF was more entertainment, I guess.

I never even got to see all of RAW because it was past my bedtime. I would hear about it at school or check online in the morning when it became less popular. Needless to say my perception of wrasslin was warped for some time.

Beefcake was a spy for the Mega Powers. Mongo says "Hogan read Sun Tzu's the Art of War, which states one of the main stipulations is you must have spies in the other camp." Bischoff then says, "I might know something about that. *cough*"

Is he winking to all the smart marks out there? Funny.
Some of the parts that I don't remember of these Raws are because some scumbag wanted to turn to Dubya see dubya when shit wasn't going on.

Zach

The wrestlers were all-around better. WWF's edginess always felt cornball to me even as a young kid. The only person I liked in WWF was Steve Austin. NWO was cool. DX was lame as fuck.

And the luchadors and cruiserweights. Ultimo Dragon, Rey Mysterio, La Parka, and Psicosis put an impression on you instantly that TAKA Michinoku will never put on you. And I like TAKA.
CfjlBqvUMAA0eyI.jpg

Yeah, the talent was generally better, and I preferred the wrestling more in WCW. But I was talking even pre-Nitro, pre-cruiserweight awesomeness.

I've just always liked unabashed wrasslin'.

Some of the parts that I don't remember of these Raws are because some scumbag wanted to turn to Dubya see dubya when shit wasn't going on.

Why did/do you prefer WWF, Bluekaveli?

oddjobs

Because it was "Hunters move" just done off the top rope. Plus, lets be honest here, when he showed up to WWE he changed his wrestling style into pretty much Kenta's entire style from overseas. He didn't even change the name of moves. He pretty well straight up did Kenta's schtick and then threw in the Anaconda Vice from Hiroyoshi Tenzan so that he had a move he could finish with against guys that were too big to put the GTS on.

Indie CM Punk and WWE CM Punk were two different sorts of things.

When Punk debuted he was using the "Kenta Combo" into Anaconda Vice to finish the matches, GTS came later, like 6-7 months after his debut.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
As trashy as it was, I never had that moment of 'Why am I still watching this?' with WCW to the end. I always watched it every week. I can't recall stopping once I started until the very end. I always found stuff to enjoy about it and never even considered it 'bad' when I was watching it towards the end. It was just different. There were definitely guys I didn't like in the roster and got far too much camera time, but I still watched it without batting an eye.

But this is also the same me that thought Sonic Adventure was a great game.

Hogan did end up pinning Arn in a six man tag. Oh well. At least it wasn't Beefcake.

Part of me wants to pull a Blue and watch the shit from when I was a kid, another part of me is saying fuck that. I'm not putting up with that Triple H shit again. I hated it as a kid and I'd probably hate it more now. Instead I'll probably do Smackdown Six, then finish off pre-Nitro WCW.

As trashy as it was, I never had that moment of 'Why am I still watching this?' with WCW to the end. I always watched it every week. I can't recall stopping once I started until the very end. I always found stuff to enjoy about it and never even considered it 'bad' when I was watching it towards the end. It was just different. There were definitely guys I didn't like in the roster and got far too much camera time, but I still watched it without batting an eye.

Data vs. KO's kid at Sonicmania

Man God

Non-Canon Member

Honestly I find WCW easier to defend than 3D Sonic.

Zach

1999 Nitro really has not been bad until the first hour of the Nitro I'm currently on. So much David Flair's girlfriend who's really working for the nWo, messages brought to us by the nWo, NO WRESTLING, etc.

Brutal.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
1999 Nitro is brutal. There's one where there is one match in the first two hours and unlike WWF WCW was never good at the backstage skits.

Plus this is during the era where the announcers don't know the backstage skits are going on.

Yeah, the talent was generally better, and I preferred the wrestling more in WCW. But I was talking even pre-Nitro, pre-cruiserweight awesomeness.

I've just always liked unabashed wrasslin'.

Why did/do you prefer WWF, Bluekaveli?
Shawn Michaels and The Undertaker.

We grew up watching everything but WWF stuck to us more. Then once Stone Cold really hit his stride, that is what my older cousins(who would have more control over the remote) would definitely want to watch. Also having spent most of my time in the south is was even funnier as we were in Turners territory.

We also saw more wwf ppvs than wcw so usually the ppvs sold us on what to watch. My uncle Bo was a big wrestling guy and preferred wwf too and he was in his 50s. We watched a load of ppvs at his house. I miss him, he sounded just like hbk so I loved every time he came around.

And one thing Vince knew how to was..... Entertain myself as a kid. The best thing about wCw were the little guys who didn't have compelling storylines and much tv time. So you lost me as a viewer, so Saturday and Thunder was better viewing because nothing else was on and the lesser guys got more time to shine. It's sad that it took them to the end of time to actually get everything right.

DMczaf

https://www.yahoo.com/news/competency-hearing-set-ex-wrestler-superfly-snuka-040717522.html?ref=gs

ALLENTOWN, Pa. (AP) — Professional wrestler Jimmy "Superfly" Snuka suffered so many blows to the head during his long career — even getting a coconut smashed on his skull — that he now suffers from dementia and is mentally incompetent to stand trial in the death of his girlfriend more than three decades ago, a psychologist testified Friday.

Snuka's severe mental impairment also stems from a history of abusing alcohol and cocaine, Dr. Frank Dattilio testified at the wrestling star's competency hearing.

Snuka was charged with murder and involuntary manslaughter last year in the 1983 death of 23-year-old Nancy Argentino, who was from New York. Snuka's lawyer asserts he doesn't understand the charges or even know he was arrested.

Lehigh County Judge Kelly Banach, after hearing from prosecution and defense experts, will decide if Snuka is competent to stand trial.

Snuka, who was in the courtroom for Friday's hearing in Allentown, has pleaded not guilty and is free on bail. His attorney, Robert Kirwan II, has called Argentino's death an "unfortunate accident."

Fuck Snuka!

There's something about this that I like, it's Kevin Sullivan's take on the product today

The matches don’t mean a thing but they give these guys six minuets with their entrances when these guys are terrific athletes. I’m not pissed off at anybody for it but, talk about giving away the secret of wrestling. It’s funny though, I just happen to see something on YouTube from 1953 with The Adventures Superman when it was on TV and the storyline was an Indian came in (to pro wrestling) and was a shooter and started to beat all the pro wrestlers in the show, so the wrestlers all got together and locked the Indian in a closet so he would miss the World Championship match. Well, Superman comes down and blows the doors open and the guy comes out and wins and at the end their is the stereotypical promoter with the big cigar hanging out of his mouth saying this is “real wrestling, I love it” and it’s 1953!

Top Bottom