• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

May Wrasslin' |OT| "Not a good thread. Not a bad thread. But THEE Thread" "

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I can't believe I'm asking this, I feel like I should know, but can someone ELI5 the NWA?

I always thought the NWA was a promotion much like WWF, WCW, SMW, Stampede, Crockett, etc but it seems like it was an association? All these feds were under the brand, but just territories? If this is so, how was there an NWA champ? Or was it that in the late 80s to combat the WWF the NWA feds merged?
Its basically an indie league governing body. Sort of like how boxing has different belts.

Fox318

If Sandow is release then there will be a riot .

wirXNSF.gif

Holy shit the first WarGames match may be one of the most intense matches I've seen. For a match in 1987 it played out like something from 1998. I think what is most impressive is my backstory and understanding of this rivalry is not much, but from the moment it starts things just feel lit. No spot fests with long rests, no methodically planned out grapple fests, just full on lay it on the line kind of wrestling.

Its basically an indie league governing body. Sort of like how boxing has different belts.

Ah, that makes sense.

Big weekend for independent wrestling this weekend.

Friday, May 6:
AAWrestling's Take No Prisoners 2016 in Merrionette Park, IL
  • AAW Championship Match: Sami Callihan vs. Tommaso Ciampa
  • Pentagon Jr vs. Fenix
  • Michael Elgin vs. Juice Robinson
  • The Hooligans & Buck Nasty vs. Detective Dan Barry & Chuck Taylor & Colt Cabana
  • Candice LeRae vs. Jessicka Havok
  • Silas Young vs. Donovan Dijak
  • Heidi Loveless vs. Kimber Lee
  • AAW Tag Team Champions Davey Vega & Mat Fitchett vs. AAW Heritage Champion AR Fox & Moose
AAWrestling's pretty good about putting shows up on VOD quickly, and they even put up that Periscope video of Pentagon Jr. vs. Chris Hero last year. With Pentagon Jr. vs. Fenix, this becomes a pretty a hot show.

latest

Evolve 60 in Joppa, MD
  • Chris Hero vs. Zack Sabre Jr.
  • EVOLVE Tag Team Championship Match: Drew Gulak & Tracy Williams (c) vs. TJ Perkins & Fred Yehi
  • Drew Galloway vs. Ethan Page
  • Johnny Gargano vs. Marty Scurll
  • Lio Rush vs. Caleb Konley
  • Matt Riddle vs. Anthony Nese
  • The Bravado Brothers vs. The Devastation Corporation
On iPPV and later VOD, I'd hesitate to get this show only because Evolve and WWN don't always have great luck when they're running in a venue for the first time. And this is their first show in Joppa, MD. Hero vs. Sabre should be great, as should Gargano vs. Scrull. Lio Rush vs. Konley should be an interesting match. I don't like the Bravados, but it should be a good showcase for the Devastation Corporation.

lafes16_final_candidate1.jpg

Chikara Live at First Energy Stadium '16
  • Dasher Hatfield vs. Proletariat Boar of of Moldova
  • Thunderfrog vs. Hallowicked
  • Team Sea Stars vs. Los Ice Creams
  • Fire Ant vs. Officer Warren Barksdale
Nothing says independent wrestling like wrestling after a minor league baseball game. I wonder if this gets recorded and put up on VOD by SmartMark.

Saturday, May 7:
Evolve 61 in Queens, NY
  • WWE Global Cruiserweight Series Qualifier: Drew Gulak vs. Tracy Williams
  • WWE Global Cruiserweight Series Qualifier: TJP vs. Fred Yehi
  • Zack Sabre Jr. vs. Marty Scurll
  • Matt Riddle vs. Lio Rush
  • The Bravado Brothers vs. Milk Chocolate
  • Ethan Page vs. Chris Dickinson
The better Evolve show this weekend, I'll probably catch this on iPPV if I don't go see it live. Gulak vs. Williams should be very good, and I'm curious about TJP vs. Yehi even if I've been cool on TJP. Sabre vs. Scurrll has very high expectations, but Riddle vs. Rush is the dark horse match of the card.

WhisperHouse.jpg

Chikara Whisper House
  • Princess Kimberlee vs. Jaka
  • N_R_G vs. Juan Francisco and Prakash Sabar
  • Silver Ant vs. Frightmare
  • The Batiri vs. The United Nations
  • Hallowicked vs. Soldier Ant

TheDistantFuture.jpg

Chikara The Distant Future
  • The Infinite Gauntlet match (#1 Contenders Battle Royale, 2 Participants start in the ring, and every 88 Seconds, another competitor enters. You can be eliminated by being thrown over the Top Rope or by getting pinned.)
  • Osirian Portal vs. Mathieu St. Jacques and Thomas Dubois
  • Officer Warren Barksdale vs. Argus
  • Team Sea Stars vs. Orange Cassidy and Swamp Monster
It's a day-night doubleheader for Chikara. I believe that Snitsky is involved in the battle royale in the evening show.

Sunday, May 8:
ROH Global Wars, Chicago IL
  • ROH World Championship match: Jay Lethal (c) w/Taeler Hendrix vs. Colt Cabana
  • ROH World Tag Team Championship match: War Machine (Raymond Rowe and Hanson) (c) vs. The Briscoes (Mark and Jay Briscoe)
  • ROH World Television Championship match: Tomohiro Ishii (c) vs. Bobby Fish
  • Michael Elgin and Hiroshi Tanahashi vs. Kazuchika Okada w/Gedo and Moose w/Stokely Hathaway
  • Kyle O'Reilly vs. Tetsuya Naito
  • Alex Shelley, Chris Sabin, Matt Sydal, and KUSHIDA vs. The Young Bucks (Nick and Matt Jackson) and Guerrillas of Destiny (Tama Tonga and Tanga Loa)
  • Jushin "Thunder" Liger and Cheeseburger vs. The Addiction (Christopher Daniels and Frankie Kazarian)
  • Preshow match: Kelly Klein vs. Crazy Mary Dobson
Live on PPV and iPPV and available later on VOD, this could be a really fun show. Ishii vs. Fish should be great, and O'Reilly vs. Naito is a surprising match. You have the spot fest in the eight man tag, and the Elgin/Tanahashi vs. Okada/Moose tag match should be very good.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Dang. Curse my rotted "be responsible" heart.

Gurrry

Idk if its just because its backstage segments or what.. but AJ's promos are getting so much better. Hes improved a shit ton since those first couple of interviews/promos we got when he first got here.

jmdajr

Don't you buy, like, a thousand video games and stuff? >_>

Something always holds you back from being where you claim you will be. Just admit you're a reddit bot like Kaladin.

I almost spend 20 bucks on a Blu Ray. Then I said to myself..I probably won't have time to even watch it.
I'll just wait till November.

RBH

The NXT event in Atlanta in June will be held at Center Stage. Yes, the same Center Stage that held all of those WCW tapings back in the day.

2015-05-08_095349.jpg

60f1579a-dd35-44f9-b622-4532a7ac1bbf.jpg

Zach

Hey, NVM. Ever been to Andy B's bowling alley? Apparently I'm going there tonight. Or should I cancel and save?

Please advise.

Top Bottom