• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

May Wrasslin' |OT| Super Strong Style 16 - Thread Edition 2015

Cybit

FGC Waterboy
I think Bayley is underappreciated in terms of being developed by WWE? Don't know if she was a big indy star before she came to WWE, and I have the feeling her gimmick won't carry over to the main roster, but dear lord, she gets insane pops in NXT. Female Sami Zayn, basically.

WWE/NXT primarily developed stars would be: 4 Horsewomen (Becky, Sasha, Charlotte, Bayley), Reigns, and I can definitely see Breeze, Enzo & Cassady (w/ Carmella) also both becoming solid mid-card level stars. They seem to do a much better job developing their female stars over their male stars, oddly enough?

Striker

Lol. Remember Halo2 E3 demo? man those were the days.
Halo 3's was worse. Such good resolution and cleanliness, yet it came out and it was a jaggy mess. Guess the theater mode is to blame for bumping up the graphics so much and Bungie going all "That's what this game's going to look like".

kiguel182

"The Sasha is ratchet, no she's not chants" are the most that remind me of the Impact zone. We are supposed to be watching this impressive contest but what we get are crowd reactions not worthy of a divas match. Why should The E try to showcase the woman where their hardcore audience is no better than the average crowd they complain about?

She's an heel so people insult her.

And some people like her so they defend her.

What is the problem here exactly?

Ithil

I think Bayley is underappreciated in terms of being developed by WWE? Don't know if she was a big indy star before she came to WWE, and I have the feeling her gimmick won't carry over to the main roster, but dear lord, she gets insane pops in NXT. Female Sami Zayn, basically.

WWE/NXT primarily developed stars would be: 4 Horsewomen (Becky, Sasha, Charlotte, Bayley), Reigns, and I can definitely see Breeze, Enzo & Cassady (w/ Carmella) also both becoming solid mid-card level stars. They seem to do a much better job developing their female stars over their male stars, oddly enough?

She was a pretty good wrestler already when she showed up, whereas Sasha was fairly bad, but you're right that her kid gimmick is all NXT developed.

Becky was a great wrestler ten years ago already, she's definitely not NXT developed.

klonere

Banned
"The Sasha is ratchet, no she's not chants" are the most that remind me of the Impact zone. We are supposed to be watching this impressive contest but what we get are crowd reactions not worthy of a divas match. Why should The E try to showcase the woman where their hardcore audience is no better than the average crowd they complain about?

what the hell the rachet chants aren't demeaning or anything, definitely nowhere near the "crack whore" comments of the ECDub fraternity. Sasha herself has acknowledged the chants and seems pretty cool with them. It just plays into her heel persona.

We got "Holy shit" "this is awesome" and the dreaded "this is wrestling" chants for the womens match last night are those not serious enough? too smarky and full sail for you?

christ

jmdajr

Halo2/3. Still fun to play despite not looking like we thought they would.

Which brings me to Gears of War. Talk about a game not letting folks down. God damn it blew my mind! That shit delivered for it's time. I just couldn't believe how good it looked.

edit: Hell yeah Killzone2 trailer. hahahaha. Luckily most of us weren't that dumb to believe it. Final game turned out nice though. Not like they had a choice, they killed themselves trying to make it happen.

thuway

After Mania, I don't think I'd ever watch again, but damnit WWE you have done an incredible job. Bryan being injured is really making me sad, but outside that the product couldn't be any better.

what the hell the rachet chants aren't demeaning or anything, definitely nowhere near the "crack whore" comments of the ECDub fraternity. Sasha herself has acknowledged the chants and seems pretty cool with them. It just plays into her heel persona.

We got "Holy shit" "this is awesome" and the dreaded "this is wrestling" chants for the womens match last night are those not serious enough? too smarky and full sail for you?

christ
Most of the full sail complaints seem pretty forced these days.

Xater

So with TNA finally being dead can you see any of their guys making it to NXT for example? I have not watched their shit for years, so I don't know.

Also I need to watch the NXT special. Don't know if I will today though. Definitely want to get to it this week.

Most of the full sail complaints seem pretty forced these days.

Yeah they are a totally fine crowd. There is way worse.

kiguel182

After Mania, I don't think I'd ever watch again, but damnit WWE you have done an incredible job. Bryan being injured is really making me sad, but outside that the product couldn't be any better.

Are you talking about NXT or RAW?

Because RAW has a lot of room for improvement.

Heel

christ

To be fair, these chants are awful in their own right.

dream

Daytime television has been the new pro wrestling for me, and I am particularly fascinated with Live with Kelly and Michael for a myriad of reasons, from the dancing, to the black host who is just non-threatening enough to fuel the fantasies of housewives across America. Dwayne Johnson is on today, and Kelly Ripa recommended the corn dogs at Disneyland to him because they are "off the chain" (she's sandwiched between two black men, so she's allowed to speak like that today), which reminded me of this classic: https://youtu.be/mW6Kv9dFRDo?t=124

Aiii

So not worth it

If anyone looks at a debut like Joey Samoey's and still thinks a hot crowd sucks over a more subdued one, they're insane.

Yeah, they chant a lot of shit constantly, that's good. A hot crowd makes a good show look great, just like a silent crowd makes a good show look worse.

Now, is there merit in complaining when a hot crowd decides to shit all over a wrestling match because they have decided before hand the match is boring, before actually seeing for themselves if it is or not? I guess so, but on the other hand a good performance will win them over rather quickly though, so if they continue to shit over a match then the competitors have failed in their task.

I actually think the women's match should have ended Takeover.

It was far and above the main event match.

The Joe stuff was nice, but felt like it should have been before the women's match, which felt solidly booked and ended in such a satisfying way that it should have closed the show.

I don't think it would have hurt the NXT title in anyway, since that feud was more personal, and the women's match isn't competition or belittles the NXT title. On the other hand, the women's title is given serious cred if it ended the night

Daytime television has been the new pro wrestling for me, and I am particularly fascinated with Live with Kelly and Michael for a myriad of reasons, from the dancing, to the black host who is just non-threatening enough to fuel the fantasies of housewives across America. Dwayne Johnson is on today, and Kelly Ripa recommended the corn dogs at Disneyland to him because they are "off the chain" (she's sandwiched between two black men, so she's allowed to speak like that today), which reminded me of this classic: https://youtu.be/mW6Kv9dFRDo?t=124
Kelly will be saying "on fleek" in a few months.

Jarrett will be at the Lucha World Cup scouting for GFW and doing guest commentary for the English language iPPV along with Striker and Vampiro.

Kaladin

Are you talking about NXT or RAW?

Because RAW has a lot of room for improvement.

The in ring product is good, they just need to improve the backstage personnel across the board.

That will come with time.

NXT is showing us that WWE can produce a good show. It's just going to take a lot of time and maybe even a paradigm shift or two on how things are done in the company to carry over to the main roster.

Look at Raw 5 years from now and tell me how it is compared to now. I bet we'll be in a new golden era by then.

klonere

Banned
To be fair, these chants are awful in their own right.

the only chant that has really irked me is the "we are awesome" one from post mania Raw. that was horrific

otherwise i generally don't care what the crowd does as long as they are into the matches, beyond offensive chants.

Ithil

The Joe stuff was nice, but felt like it should have been before the women's match, which felt solidly booked and ended in such a satisfying way that it should have closed the show.

I don't think it would have hurt the NXT title in anyway, since that feud was more personal, and the women's match isn't competition or belittles the NXT title. On the other hand, the women's title is given serious cred if it ended the night

Samoa Joe showing up absolutely should have ended the night.

kiguel182

Nah, Joe's debut was the biggest moment of the show by far. If Becky had won the title and the feud had been going for longer I might agree but as it stands the line up was perfect.

Bayley was a relatively big indy star before coming to WWE under the name Davina Rose. She worked some SHIMMER and SHINE cards but never made it to the tippy top. I agree that she's got the Daniel Bryan/Sami Zayn thing going for her in that she might not look like the prototypical star but she's just so goddamn lovable and always looks like she's having so much fucking fun you just can't hate her. At the NXT show I went to the pop for her was probably only eclipsed by that of Tommy Dreamer.

Fox318

823XnBZ.png

Being a top star in Shimmer is basically just being a step or two above being a top level basement tape star tbh

Eeeeeeewww.
...I'd like to think it's a bigger deal than that, but the SHIMMER and Shine fan base perv me out sometimes. Then tack on customs and I'm all nope nope nope

Alucard

Banned
So with TNA finally being dead can you see any of their guys making it to NXT for example? I have not watched their shit for years, so I don't know.

Also I need to watch the NXT special. Don't know if I will today though. Definitely want to get to it this week.

Reports of TNA's demise have been greatly exaggerated, friend Xater. In the past and present. TNA always finds a way. Always.

Cybit

FGC Waterboy
The only problem with moving Zayn, Owens, Balor, and Itami up to the main roster is "whose spots do they take"? None of them are going to be top tier guys and replace Cena / Ambrose / Reigns / Orton / Rollins level guys, so my fear is that they will be stuck in the mid-tier for a while.

I like the idea of Owens joining the Authority; and I like the idea of Zayn / Itami / Hideo being a small faction (even if not a formal faction, but just a group of guys who naturally stick together because they're all coming from NXT and all babyfaces) personally. I think one of the reasons the Shield worked was because they stayed as a tag team, they never had to be defined down.

Ithil

The only problem with moving Zayn, Owens, Balor, and Itami up to the main roster is "whose spots do they take"? None of them are going to be top tier guys and replace Cena / Ambrose / Reigns / Orton / Rollins level guys, so my fear is that they will be stuck in the mid-tier for a while.

I like the idea of Owens joining the Authority; and I like the idea of Zayn / Itami / Hideo being a small faction (even if not a formal faction, but just a group of guys who naturally stick together because they're all coming from NXT and all babyfaces) personally. I think one of the reasons the Shield worked was because they stayed as a tag team, they never had to be defined down.

Why not? Unless you mean like, instantly.

imBask

Banned
Why not? Unless you mean like, instantly.

because on RAW you can't have more than 3 top guy otherwise the audience gets confused in Vince's logic

right now there are many storylines but 2 week ago I had no idea who was the IC champ, who was in the midcard, who was the women champ, who are the tag team champs...

Heroman

Banned

All those dude are going tp be in the mid to high tier, well itami not,he gonna be in the mid card for most of his career.

Aiii

So not worth it
Why would anyone expect a new debut to go straight to a Main Event spot, that will never work, crowd needs to get used and invested in a character first.

Meltzer on Twitter is hilarious now that he's just done with TNA stans so he shits on them all with no remorse.

Yesterday was an excellent Twitter day.

Top Bottom