• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

May Wrasslin |OT| Vince McMahon doesn't give 5 million f**ks what you think.

Mr. Sam

WWE 12 had slightly better transitions (PREDATOR TECHNOLOGY™) between animations and changed the controls (ALL-NEW COMBAT SYSTEM™) a little bit. That was about it.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
On Zack Ryder’s depush:

“I didn't feel that the writers had anything against Ryder really. I think Gewirtz feels that he's a natural underdog, and that's why people like him. The moment you give him too much exposure or success, he's no longer an underdog and becomes annoying so they try to stick to that.

Yeah sure.

Kaladin

Here is what's in the WWE '13 Revolution/reveal video:
- CM Punk appears to be the cover boy
- New CM Punk Entrance...looks very legit
- New CM Punk model?
- CM Punk wearing the MITB attire
- CM Punk Entrance attire (White Best in the World Shirt)
- Chris Jericho Confirmed
- Jericho wearing his Elimination Chamber attire
- Attitude Era Undertaker Confirmed (Mid 1997 attire)
- Stone Cold Steve Austin confirmed
- Mankind Confirmed (White top, Brown tights)
- Sheamus Confirmed (Summer 2011 attire)
- Big Show Confirmed (wearing Army singlet)
- Mark Henry confirmed (Black and Red attire)
- New RAW/SmackDown! Sidetrons confirmed
- CM Punk Does the elbow drop from the top of the turnbuckle through the announce table
- Chris Jericho does a Lionsault from the ring apron through the Announce Table
- Big Show and Mark Henry break the SmackDown! ring (similar to Vengeance of this year)
- Austin and Mankind are fighting in what appears to be an old-school arena.
- Austin and Mankind break a steal guard rail and fight in the crowd

via pwinsider

Here is what's in the WWE '13 Revolution/reveal video:
- CM Punk appears to be the cover boy
- New CM Punk Entrance...looks very legit
- New CM Punk model?
- CM Punk wearing the MITB attire
- CM Punk Entrance attire (White Best in the World Shirt)
- Chris Jericho Confirmed
- Jericho wearing his Elimination Chamber attire
- Attitude Era Undertaker Confirmed (Mid 1997 attire)
- Stone Cold Steve Austin confirmed
- Mankind Confirmed (White top, Brown tights)
- Sheamus Confirmed (Summer 2011 attire)
- Big Show Confirmed (wearing Army singlet)
- Mark Henry confirmed (Black and Red attire)
- New RAW/SmackDown! Sidetrons confirmed
- CM Punk Does the elbow drop from the top of the turnbuckle through the announce table
- Chris Jericho does a Lionsault from the ring apron through the Announce Table
- Big Show and Mark Henry break the SmackDown! ring (similar to Vengeance of this year)
- Austin and Mankind are fighting in what appears to be an old-school arena.
- Austin and Mankind break a steal guard rail and fight in the crowd

via pwinsider

They are doing an attitude era gimmick with this game. Alot of the attitude era guys like New Age Outlaws, Xpac, etc are going to be in the game.

RBH

Wow, that was actually an excellent read and not the typical Meltzer garbage. Kudos man, good stuff.

Meltzer and Alvarez have actually conducted alot of audio interviews with former WWE creative team members that cover the same type of stuff, but go into even greater detail on what it's like to work in the WWE and with Vince, HHH, Stephanie, etc.

I remember one former writer revealing that one of Vince's favorite movies is Wild Hogs, of all things.

Kaladin

Meltzer and Alvarez have actually conducted alot of audio interviews with former WWE creative team members that cover the same type of stuff, but go into even greater detail on what it's like to work in the WWE and with Vince, HHH, Stephanie, etc.

I remember one former writer revealing that one of Vince's favorite movies is Wild Hogs, of all things.

Wild Hogs? I thought this new interview said Vince has never seen most major movies of the last 40 years that everyone has seen.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Reading that is so disheartening. It must be heartbreaking to be a writer for WWE.

You have these big storylines laid out, then Vince changes literally everything an hour before TV. It sucks.
It sounds like a god damn south park style of writing where everyone is scrambling on a week by week basis, but, in addition, they're also attempting to have some kind of a long term plan, and have a head guy that changes his mind way too far into development, sabotaging what little they've come up with.

It's a horrible, horrible process that makes stories inconsistent and without direction on a week by week basis, and the PPVs/feud blowoffs completely uneventful.

They need to gut their entire process of having 3-5 different departments and an overlord in Vince who throws out anything he wants at any time, and just consolidate their writing into one department and a head booker. Stop writing scripts and start writing outlines instead, and leave it up to the booker and talent to flesh things out and give life to the stories.

Saying Daniel Bryan should celebrate every win like it's the greatest of his life? That's exactly how these "scripts" should be. Outlines on directions to take characters in, but the actual implementation of these ideas depends on the talent themselves.

That's how wrestling used to be. And that's how the matches usually are handled, as well. That type of "planned, but unscripted, and not fake" dynamic is what makes wrestling appealing, both to fans and to the wrestlers themselves.

Steph is very nice also, but does have a tendency to stare at you in a sort of psychotic-looking manner.

Steph wanted to fuck you, bro.

Also, Ziggler getting reprimanded for improvising his promos twice is disheartening to read.

jmdajr

So all the main events are decided and then they work backwards?
Must be tough with guys getting hurt and Vince just changing his mind. I guess HHH can only do so much as the voice of reason!

GaimeGuy

Steph wanted to fuck you, bro.

Also, Ziggler getting reprimanded for improvising his promos twice is disheartening to read.

The only reason Punk is allowed more leeway now is because he delivered what probably was the greatest single promo of all time in wrestling, a promo that everyone knew could have been a turning point for the business to a new era that embraced worked storylines, blurring the line between what was backstage stuff and what was just "for TV"

Too bad instead of changing things, or being remembered in the same vein as Austin's KotR speech, it'll be just another great, well known, but ultimately meaningless (in the grand scheme of things) promo, like DX impersonating the nation.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
The only reason Punk is allowed more leeway now is because he delivered what probably was the greatest single promo of all time in wrestling.

Too bad instead of being remembered in the same vein as Austin's KotR speech, it'll be just another great, well known, but ultimately meaningless (in the grand scheme of things) promo, like DX impersonating the nation.

And to think, without the curtain call for the Kliq, Austin would never have won KOTR. I think that's a hell of a punishment for Vince to dish out, to take Trips out of the PPV entirely when he was slated to win it. He works in mysterious ways.

RBH

I can understand the WWE's logic in trying to position someone like Sheamus as the babyface to ultimately take over Cena's spot, but I just don't believe that Sheamus is the guy for that role.

Sheamus can certainly be a fixture in the main event picture in the years to come and he's improved quite a bit compared to when he first started, but as the top guy? I don't know about that.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I can understand the WWE's logic in trying to position someone like Sheamus as the babyface to ultimately take over Cena's spot, but I just don't believe that Sheamus is the guy for that role.

Sheamus can certainly be a fixture in the main event picture in the years to come and he's improved quite a bit compared to when he first started, but as the top guy? I don't know about that.

I dare say Sheamus is too unique for it. Some people have to identify with the top star - and it's not easy to identify with Sheamus.

UberTag

None of those revelations should come up as anything new. Pretty much reads as word-for-word retreads of the exact same observations the parade of Formerly Creative talent ran through back when Dave Lagana was running a weekly podcast and not booking TNA/Ring Ka King (not coincidentally, these shows are now the best written and most watched weekly television wrestling broadcasts respectively).

Vince is and always has been the poison of his own product.

Kaladin

He's probably the only guy they have that pulls in little kids (I'm talking their youngest demo) like Cena does. When I went to Smackdown after Mania, I actually saw several little kids dressed up as Sheamus, complete with their hair dyed red and spiked....and these aren't teenagers or pre-teens I'm talking about here.

jmdajr

None of those revelations should come up as anything new. Pretty much reads as word-for-word retreads of the exact same observations the parade of Formerly Creative talent ran through back when Dave Lagana was running a weekly podcast and not booking TNA/Ring Ka King (coincidentally these shows are now the best written and most watched weekly television broadcasts respectively).

Vince is and always has been the poison of his own product.

Like I said, I miss his website. It was fantastic.

The main flaw I see with the Sheamus scheme is that they are trying to force him into being the top guy when all previous top guys seemed to reach that status almost organically, Sheamus hasn't given us much to go with to be the top face that everyone wants to see, he's just a standard face being slotted in the top position.

Holy crap, Sheamus as the next "top" guy. Is this what working out with HHH gets you? This company is fucked!

Who else is there? The only problem is they are trying to fit him into a character he isn't with the stupid irish folklore comedy shit. If they let him be himself as a top face he would be much better off. Also I think fucking over Daniel Bryan really hurt Sheamus. He's taking heat from the fans for it even though it isn't his fault.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
what do you get for working out with Kane?
28245_396666820948_636500948_4441766_2448256_n.jpg

What do you think? Lol.

Sheamus almost never gets any reaction during his promos though, that's a huge drawback

He doesn't get a reaction because he's reading a horrible script full of stupid ass irish folklore jokes. Who would enjoy this shit? Did WWE forget you can be a top face without telling corny ass jokes? Not everyone has to be a Cena style face.

RBH

He's probably the only guy they have that pulls in little kids (I'm talking their youngest demo) like Cena does. When I went to Smackdown after Mania, I actually saw several little kids dressed up as Sheamus, complete with their hair dyed red and spiked....and these aren't teenagers or pre-teens I'm talking about here.
That's definitely true. Over the past 6 or so months, you can tell that the live crowds have been reacting to him more (excluding the after effects of WM28, which was no fault of his own) and he's connecting with a wider demographic (ie. kids) compared to before.

The promos that he's been cutting as a babyface have just been so brutal though. They really need to get away from the phony Irish folklore stuff and just try to let him be like he was as a heel. None of it sounds natural at all.

The main flaw I see with the Sheamus scheme is that they are trying to force him into being the top guy when all previous top guys seemed to reach that status almost organically, Sheamus hasn't given us much to go with to be the top face that everyone wants to see, he's just a standard face being slotted in the top position.
Agreed.

At the end of the day, I don't know if I can see Sheamus as THE guy, but at the same time, there's absolutely nothing wrong with him not being able to reach that point. Being one of the top guys in the company is nothing to sneeze at either, and I feel that Sheamus can achieve that at the very least.

GaimeGuy

And to think, without the curtain call for the Kliq, Austin would never have won KOTR. I think that's a hell of a punishment for Vince to dish out, to take Trips out of the PPV entirely when he was slated to win it. He works in mysterious ways.

Without the curtain call, Austin 3:16 isn't born.

The whole kliq thing probably influenced the conceptualization of the Outsiders/NWO, as well. Guys with a ton of sway and power and raw talent invading.

Without the screwjob, Mr McMahon isn't formed.

It's amazing how much of wrestling seems to have revolved around the actions of HBK and his pals.

He doesn't get a reaction because he's reading a horrible script full of stupid ass irish folklore jokes. Who would enjoy this shit? Did WWE forget you can be a top face without telling corny ass jokes? Not everyone has to be a Cena style face.

It also doesn't help that his entire character revolves around his skin being pale

XenoRaven

What know what fella? This reminds me of old Irish folk tale. There was once a big jerk that everyone hated and finally one day a jolly ole Irishman got drunk on some Bailey's and cracked him upside the noggin with a shillelagh.

*Heel has to act upset*

*crickets*

Kane should come out and start putting Kane masks on little kids at ringside to make up for Big Show going heel and Rey not being around. Then he can evolve that to put his voice box thing and having them say suck it.

rvd2kewl

TNA files a lawsuit against WWE:

Source

TNA FILES LAWSUIT AGAINST WWE FOR CONTRACT INTERFERENCE, UNFAIR COMPETITION AND OTHERS ISSUES STEMMING FROM INSIDER INFORMATION GIVEN TO WWE
by Mike Johnson @ 5:12 PM on 5/24/2012

TNA filed a lawsuit yesterday in court in Nashville against WWE and former TNA and WWE office worker Brian Wittenstein for interference with existing contracts, conversion, breach of contract, civil conspiracy, unfair competition, and violation of the Tennessee Uniform Trade Secrets Act. They are also suing Wittenstein for breach of duty of loyalty.

TNA's lawsuit alleges that that Wittenstein, who worked for TNA for three years before departing in 2011, provided World Wrestling Entertainment with inside information on contracts and other matters from his time working in the live events department and now WWE is attempting to poach talent from the company with that information.

Wittenstein was hired by WWE earlier this year and worked briefly under Michael Hayes as his assistant before being let go by WWE. According to the suit, WWE fired Wittenstein after he presented them with inside TNA information. However, WWE did not inform TNA that they had been provided that information for nearly three weeks.

TNA claims they were informed on 5/7. Several days later, Ric Flair (who the company has been having issues with, as we've reported here) approached TNA trying to get out of his contract. In the lawsuit, TNA alleged that Flair was trying to get out of his contract in order to go to WWE and since telling TNA he wanted out of his deal, has not appeared as booked at live events, including the Sacrifice PPV.

In the last week, there have also been rumors that Alex Shelley had turned down a new TNA contract and was looking to go to WWE as well. While those stories have been making the rounds, PWInsider.com has not been able to independently confirm them. Shelley was not mentioned in the legal filing.

An injunction was issued earlier today demanding that WWE and Wittenstein each return whatever confidential material Wittenstein retained from his time working for TNA. They were specifically instructed not to "destroy" any of the material.

We'll have more information as we confirm it.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
Kane should come out and start putting Kane masks on little kids at ringside to make up for Big Show going heel and Rey not being around. Then he can evolve that to put his voice box thing and having them say suck it.
The whole show should just revolve around Kane. Kane should just randomly come out, grab a mic, and tell the crowd how his weekend was. Then, all the wrestlers and commentators should discuss it, and no matter what happens, Cole should just say, "I wonder what Kane has to say about that?" The main event should just be Kane sitting in the ring, reading a newspaper. Going by ratings data, that would draw huge.

Top Bottom