• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

May Wrasslin |OT| Vince McMahon doesn't give 5 million f**ks what you think.

RBH

Wrestling Observer Newslettter 3/20/95:

--The first of the added WWF PPV shows will be 5/14 in Syracuse, NY, billed as "In Your Home"

--WCW's initial plans to run a competition UFC type show but inside a wrestling ring and with more rules on 6/4, probably similar in that way to the Vale-Tudo tournament on 4/20 in Tokyo being put on by former wrestling legend Satoru Sayama and headlined by Rickson Gracie, looks to not be coming to fruition.

--The Hogan "Ultimate Surprise" on the PPV was originally to be The Road Warriors, however Hawk was booked in Japan on 3/19, so the last word we've heard is it'll be Rio, with another name, as an Ultimate Warrior clone since the original costs too much money.

IN YOUR HOME!

DMczaf

20120509_IYHPettengillWiand_642.jpg

RBH

WON 6/28/93:

A new wrestler debuted called New Jack who was said to have been the worst wrestler debuting in [USWA] in years, which covers a lot of ground. He claimed to be from New Jersey, and maybe he even was, and grew up with Mark Freer and said Freer, who has been losing his matches, needed to get his head together so now Freer has changed his ring name to Home Boy. The two then did a squash match which attempted to set a world record for missed moves by New Jack alone.

WON 1/30/95:

The quote of the week came in the Tampa Tribune on 1/20 from Hulk Hogan when asked about the WWF's new generation theme: "You take these cuties, these bodybuilders, these Ultimate Warrior type guys. They break a nail, bruise a rib, they don't want to wrestle. They're taking athletes right out of high school, out of college, they paint their faces up and say they're a wrestler. This new generation of wrestlers is a complete rip-off of the guys from the old school."

WON 2/13/95:

On television this week, Bischoff knocked Jean Paul Levesque making a big deal about how Alex Wright beat him and about how a lot of people thought Levesque was going to be a big deal but said he was just another guy who couldn't cut the mustard like Maxx Payne.

Paul White, billed as 7-2, 440, who came to a WCW show in Chicago, is apparently coming in under the name Paul Bunyan and is training in Atlanta. Hogan wants a new Andre to be a permanent heel for him both in wrestling and in whatever television vehicles he can muster up. A correction. While White has wrestled for Larry Sharpe, he's not a protege of Sharpe.

WON 2/20/95:

Tammy Fytch or Tamara Murphy has already been taken off the Events Centers and will have a new role apparently as a cheerleader for Chris Candido, who debuts on television at this coming week's tapings. Candido is as of last word still supposed to be a babyface. At some point it's expected Fytch would turn but that could be a year or more down the road.

WON 3/6/95:

At an autograph session in Durham, NC to promote a Gold's Gym he's opening, Ric Flair was asked about Shane Douglas and said he's a young man who is a school teacher as his primary profession and that he remembers when he was young and trying to make a name for himself in wrestling and that you do whatever you can to make a name. Douglas was apparently offered an audition to do the color on Monday Night Raw.

WON 3/7/95:

Glen Jacobs (Unabom) worked another match, this time called The Pit Bull.

Wonder if Vince McMahon's heart skipped a beat on the live Raw when Jim Cornette was talking about Jeff Jarrett having the best figure four leglock in the WWF since Nature Boy, and then he said Buddy Rogers.

Shane Douglas got a try-out this week as a color commentator and they wanted him for a top babyface spot down the road as well. As of yet he hasn't accepted the deal.

And this will probably be the last bit of Abra Caverness from the Cinco de Mayo show but I think it's worth sharing.

magickiss.jpg

I was asking myself this morning can Abra Cadaver get any cooler, the answer was a resounding YES! after I saw this pic. He really is the CM Punk if the indies.

I miss long tights as well, hell I miss unique appearances in general, say what you will about Cena's attire at least he stands out from the tyranny of trunks.

RBH

The WWE Extreme Rules PPV, featuring Brock Lesnar's return to WWE vs. John Cena in an awesome match, drew 251,000 buys worldwide. 147,000 of those buys were within North America, according to the company's latest estimates.

That number is up almost 17% from the 216,000 buys that Extreme Rules 2011 (John Cena vs. John Morrison vs. Miz) garnered, but with the higher talent price tag that came with Brock Lesnar, the buyrate could be seen as disappointing especially if you compare them to Lesnar's ability to draw money on PPV in recent years.

While fighting for UFC, his PPV buys were through the roof and never lower than the 600,000 range for fights - and often much more, sometimes topping one million. Obviously, one lesson to be learned here is that the UFC audience is not going to follow Lesnar back to WWE. But, WWE's take on the PPV was up.

So, was this a success or a failure?

In speaking to one WWE office source today, he noted that the buyrate blame shouldn't go on Lesnar, but on the company itself for making fans believe that the secondary PPVs aren't important anymore.

The source pointed out the poor buyrate for the Rock's first wrestling match in years at Survivor Series 2011 and then compared that to Wrestlemania buyrates involving Rock the last few years.

"No one should spin this as Brock failing. Brock didn't fail the company. The company failed itself in that we've conditioned the majority of the audience that only Wrestlemania is important now," said the source. "This show came right after Mania, so you are going to lose fans that invested money in that show. No one will remember that. But, we also rushed out a marquee match and it didn't really succeed for us, either. I think the lesson to be learned is that no matter who is on what show these days, the branding won't be strong enough, no matter how good or bad the creative side may be. We've conditioned everyone to see it as Wrestlemania and then everything else, because we spent a year building Mania. There was going to be a drop-off after that climax."

However, the source noted that Lesnar as a PPV draw for the company isn't a lost cause.

"We had to reintroduce him to our new audience. Seven year olds didn't know who Brock was. Now they do. The numbers were up so on paper, it looks good. This is part of another year-long build. The upside is that when we hit Wrestlemania, then Lesnar will draw and the company gets our investment back that way - because now it's Wrestlemania plus the talent that draws, not the talent drawing for Wrestlemania. That's the lesson we need to learn here, in my opinion."
http://www.pwinsider.com/article/68...n-the-brock-lesnar-ppv-frontor-is-it.html?p=1

RBH

I'm still trying to figure out what the fuck is going on in this clip? Why is Hogan holding a script and talking about tape dates and air dates? lol

Yeah, I have no clue what's going on in the first 20 seconds of that video or what significance it has. :lol

LOOK AT US FLIPPING THROUGH THE SCRIPT~!

Yeah, I have no clue what's going on in the first 20 seconds of that video or what significance it has. :lol

LOOK AT US FLIPPING THROUGH THE SCRIPT~!

Well I guess it did work because I'm really interested in tonight's Impact now. Plus seeing the gutcheck with Joey Ryan vs Austin Aries.

Top Bottom