• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mayweather calls out Pacquiao for May 2nd fight.

Status
Not open for further replies.

abuC

Two guys who dedicate their lives to a singular sport would wreck a dude at said sport who hasn't dedicated his life to it. Yes that is obvious.

Who are these guys?

Wlad and Vitali Klitschko, they've been ruling the heavyweight divison since Lennox Lewis retired.

Really good fighters that don't get the respect they deserve because they're Europeans and the heavyweight division isn't that great, but they still mop the floor with the bums put infront of them. I think Vitali would be a great fighter in any era, Wlad not so much but still a top tier guy.

ChawlieTheFair

pip pip cheerio you slags!
get klitchKO'd, they are the most dominate heavy weight fighters out there and happen to be brothers.

Do they not fight anymore? Don't follow boxing but have heard constantly of Mayweather and Pacquiao.

Wlad and Vitali Klitschko, they've been ruling the heavyweight divison since Lennox Lewis retired.

Really good fighters that don't get the respect they deserve because they're Europeans and the heavyweight division isn't that great, but they still mop the floor with the bums put infront of them. I think Vitali would be a great fighter in any era, Wlad not so much but still a top tier guy.

Ah ok.

Also isn't one them a doctor?

It's a joke. Both of them (Pac/Arum-Mayweather) are in on it and playing the public for fools, to drum up and maintain relevance to both their second hand fights. It's all a game.

Fuck them both.
I don't think Pac losing the last time was a game though, that pretty much ruined everything, especially on Manny's side. Not as if the fight would've happened anyway, now that's the game, it's all talk.

For you guys who have never seen Sugar Ray Leonard fuck up Roberto Duran,
please watch this.
Boxing was amazing a few years ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nlR0MkrRklg

Shit.
This is it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_gmZn9YlXs

I saw that fight a long time ago years after happened when I was a kid because I spent a large portion of my growing up knowing someone and his sons who were boxers, that was more than a few years ago though, the fight happened in 1980.

abuC

Do they not fight anymore? Don't follow boxing but have heard constantly of Mayweather and Pacquiao.

Ah ok.

Wlad still fights and will probably box into his early 40s, his brother is now the mayor of Kiev. Vitali is the better of the two, never been knocked down and could have beaten Lennox Lewis if it weren't for a horrific cut over his eyes. They're also massive, Vitali is 6'8" 245lbs and Wlad is 6'6" 240.

Also isn't one them a doctor?

Yeah, they both have PhDs and Vitali is positioning himself to be president of Ukraine.

Jigolo

Just imagining the amount of pay per view sales for this is crazy. 4 years ago would've been even higher than what it will be if it happens next year.

I'm pretty fucking excited.

Dmented

Banned
Wlad still fights and will probably box into his early 40s, his brother is now the mayor of Kiev. Vitali is the better of the two, never been knocked down and could have beaten Lennox Lewis if it weren't for a horrific cut over his eyes. They're also massive, Vitali is 6'8" 245lbs and Wlad is 6'6" 240.

Yeah, they both have PhDs and Vitali is positioning himself to be president of Ukraine.

Well he's Mayor of Kiev for now.

Would break PPV records but I can't see Arum allowing it. Paq would have to leave Arum or Arum would have to die for this to happen anytime soon.

Would break PPV records but I can't see Arum allowing it. Paq would have to leave Arum or Arum would have to die for this to happen anytime soon.

Why would Arum even stop it at this point. I don't think manny has many fights left in him and seems he isn't as a big a draw anymore doesn't Arum stand to make more money if he just let's them fight regardless of the end result?

Why would Arum even stop it at this point. I don't think manny has many fights left in him and seems he isn't as a big a draw anymore doesn't Arum stand to make more money if he just let's them fight regardless of the end result?

He's a salty, bitter old man and doesn't want to give up anything to Floyd, even if it would line his own pockets.

floyd: I want a blood test, urine test, saliva test, manure test, sperm test, bone marrow test, cerebrospinal fluid test, and a synovial fluid test

DonasaurusRex

Online Ho Champ
Absolutely nothing has changed. Mayweather even says in that article Pacquiao won't be offered what was offered before, sounds like a guy who still wants to only do the fight 100% on his terms

He's the draw, this is all about him getting the first L on his record.

Would of been more interesting if they did this 4 years ago when they were both in their prime.

This fight won't even be interesting. Paq will get demolished

Gray Matter

Yes its not like old school boxing where the best fought the best while in there primes. The fighters can now have total control over who they fight and when. Mayweather promotes himself while Manny is under Bob Arum. Its not about giving you people a good fight its all about the money.

I don't know if mayweather has done that his entire career, but that's one reason I laugh when people call him the greatest.

Holy shit

Pretty much the definition of being accomplished at life

Holy shit

Pretty much the definition of being accomplished at life

and Wlad is engaged and just had a kid with Hayden Panettiere.
hayden-panettiere-und-wladimir-klitschko-laufen.jpg

Manny's PPV buys for his last fight were terrible, he's really not in a position to make demands. They offered him $40 million, 60/40 split before his KO loss to JMM, why should he get the same offer now?

Sure he is, because Manny is the difference between Floyd having another 900k PPV buy rate and having a fight with Manny that does several million. These guys need each other if they truly care about making the most money. Sure Manny's PPV buy rate was poor, but it's not about what that fight did, it's what a potential fight with Floyd would sell and how much of an increase that would be over other potential Floyd opponents. If you bring a massive increase in potential PPV buys over other opponents, that gives you leverage

I don't know if mayweather has done that his entire career, but that's one reason I laugh when people call him the greatest.

Naw he hasn't done it his whole career, at one point he was fighting under Bob Arum but once he got the publicity from becoming a amazing fighter he sort have became bigger then everything around him including those who was promoting him prior. He feels like he could have made more money promoting himself and that Arum beat him out of some cash so eventually the Money Team Persona was born.

zychi

Banned
So this is Mayweather's way of bribing Pac to take a dive.

All the judges are on Mayweathers' payroll for his fights. I have no desire to watch this fight. Boxing is sadly a fixed and broken sport. Just retire Floyd, you little woman beating piece of garbage.

While I'd agree that Pacquiao is no longer at his prime, if this fight does materialize it's not completely worthless like say Hopkins and Jones Jr, where one of the fighters is completely a shell of their former selves. It can still be a great fight.

Flo_Evans

I'd pay for this. I mean sure it will not be as good as it would of been 5 years ago but this is the fight everyone wanted to see.

"I will try my best to (make) this a thrilling and entertaining fight. But I doubt if he's gonna engage me in a slugfest," said the Filipino, winner of an unprecedented eight world titles in different weight classes.

"You all know his fighting style. Most of his previous fights, if not all, induced us to sleep," said Pacquiao from his southern Philippines home city of General Santos.

losing respect for Manny with these quotes

I see a lot of people saying boxing is fixed, all they do is pick oppenents etc. Its a two sided coin. The risk to reward is such a steep hill most boxers and their teams have no choice but to pick the best opportunity for their fighter. Most of the so called boxing fans I speak to about fights they NEVER want to watch a guy who has a lost or coming off a lost.

When these dudes take a lost they lose A LOT of fan base and is no longer in the running for better fights. Also they are wayyyy more likely to get injured and not be the same. Is it perfect, hell no. There are many fights I'll love to see happen, but the risk reward is all to small to take that chance.

SYNTAX182

Good fight because of their styles. Floyd has a good right straight but open to left straight which is Manny's KO punch. Also works the other way because Manny is open to the right straight as evidenced by Marquez and algerie. Mayweather has no KO power though so I see manny just walking through floyd punches to land his power punches. Floyd has slowed down a few steps more than manny. I would pick Manny if they fight next year. If this was 5 years ago then Floyd would have come out on top.

Edit: OK interview was dumb. Lol. Why is he bringing up testing which Manny has now agreed to in 2012. Pac has been using vada testing which is as good as oplympic testing for last few fights. Floyd uses usada which is a bs testing company. He also wants 2/3 of the money? He's basically pricing himself out. Ppv earnings has been down across the board so it has nothing to do with these negotiations. Floyd's ppv has been down as well. Also PAC fighting in China is why his ppv is down. Floyd also wants the fight to be only shown on showtime? Stupid demand because HBO would never agree to this. Lol. This fight isn't gonna happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom