• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mayweather calls out Pacquiao for May 2nd fight.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frog-fu

Banned
It's quite true though.

May uses a defensive style and I doubt it would be in his best interest to have a slug fest with someone like Manny.

The entire point of boxing is to hit and not get hit. I agree Mayweather is far from an exciting fighter, but as far as boxing on a technical level goes, he is king, and Pacquiao should respect that, rather than dismissing his style as boring because it's not a "slugfest."

Maybe if Pacquiao didn't find it as boring he wouldn't have been knocked out as much or lost any many fights.

Personally, I quite enjoy Mayweather's fights for the sheer technical cleanliness and mastery of it all. If he had knockout punches to go with that speed and precision, man, it wouldn't even be fair.

Sheroking

It's quite true though.

May uses a defensive style and I doubt it would be in his best interest to have a slug fest with someone like Manny.

Well, yeah.

Mayweather is a pro, he knows he should fight his fight and not get baited out of his comfort zone. There's nothing wrong with that, though. He's there to win, not be a dancing monkey for Rocky fans.

He'll probably win if he sticks to what brought him.

killatopak

The entire point of boxing is to hit and not get hit. I agree Mayweather is far from an exciting fighter, but as far as boxing on a technical level goes, he is king, and Pacquiao should respect that, rather than dismissing his style as boring because it's not a "slugfest."

Maybe if Pacquiao didn't find it as boring he wouldn't have been knocked out as much or lost any many fights.

Personally, I quite enjoy Mayweather's fights for the sheer technical cleanliness and mastery of it all. If he had knockout punches to go with that speed and precision, man, it wouldn't even be fair.

I don't think he underestimates May. Just by looking at his quote, you can say that he wants a slugfest purely because it's what the fans think is exciting. On the other hand, you can also say it's what he wants since he is more comfortable in that kind of fights.

I think what he's saying is just that while he wants it to be an exciting match fighting toe to toe, He doesn't think he can do that with May.

While Manny's speed, punching power and tenacity may have deteriorated, I think he still balances it out with his ability to easily learn and improve his boxing. He's more cautious now and fights intelligently.

I don't follow May's fights quite as much as Manny's but I give him the edge on the first few rounds but I think he'll tire out in the last few and throw less punches than Manny then it'll go to the scorecards. Whoever wins, I think it'll be a split decision.

Hasney

220px-VladimirVitaliy.jpg

Domination. Hayden Panettiere included.

Yup and I love them, but they're not exciting fighters. They're very methodical and intelligent and it doesn't make a great spectator sport, but they're so fucking good.

I've never understood why people like Floyd

Not uncommon for high profile sports figures to have their serial misogyny and woman-beating overlooked because they're good at what they do on television. Mayweather hasn't lost a fight to a defenseless girl in his entire career.

ShogunX

Fuck it, Give Amir Khan a shot at Mayweather. He has little chance of beating Floyd but his speed alone will no doubt cause problems.

jesu

Fuck it, Give Amir Khan a shot at Mayweather. He has little chance of beating Floyd but his speed alone will no doubt cause problems.

I love watching Khan, his fight are exciting he's always one punch away from being knocked out.

theaface

Hugely agree. The Floyd v Mani fight needed to happen at least 4 years ago, in my opinion. Khan would be interesting to see; he'll either prove a real test, or get knocked out sharpish.

killatopak

You do know that Mayweather is older than Manny right?

Pacquiao's fighting style's effectiveness deteriorates as he ages and while Mayweather's style does the same to him, it is to a lesser extent.

Some of Pacquiao's effectiveness comes from the amount of punches he can throw, how quickly he can throw them, their angles and how fast he can dart in and out while doing so. I personally think the Pacquiao now can't outdo or even match his old self on those things.

He does fight more intelligently now especially after the Marquez knockout so I think that's a plus.

Haha, I love the confident tone in the posts of all you boxing analysts. If I were unfamiliar with how message boards work, I might think I've stumbled onto a trainer's discussion forum.

kasane

Old pac vs money would probably be more exciting

Pac going berserk and doing anything to knock out floyd and floyd doing his thing

clemenx

Banned
Absolutely nothing has changed. Mayweather even says in that article Pacquiao won't be offered what was offered before, sounds like a guy who still wants to only do the fight 100% on his terms

As he should. Paq has no leverage of nothing. Hell, he's never had any leverage against Floyd if we're talking about the money alone.

oneHeero

Money has been fighting different over the last 3-4 yrs. Anyone who doesn't see that isn't paying attention.

Floyd has engaged in toe to toe fights and taken tougher fights lately and won impressively. He's not the same boring defensive fighter he was before 2012. I give a lot of credit to Floyd.

I'm a Pac fan and knew Pac would best money in 2012. And I never liked money before cuz of his style and personality but the guy has changed up his style the last few years and it's much more exciting now.

killatopak

Money has been fighting different over the last 3-4 yrs. Anyone who doesn't see that isn't paying attention.

Floyd has engaged in toe to toe fights and taken tougher fights lately and won impressively. He's not the same boring defensive fighter he was before 2012. I give a lot of credit to Floyd.

I'm a Pac fan and knew Pac would best money in 2012. And I never liked money before cuz of his style and personality but the guy has changed up his style the last few years and it's much more exciting now.

I don't follow Mayweather much but is the reason for his improvement because of his father being fired?

oneHeero

I don't follow Mayweather much but is the reason for his improvement because of his father being fired?
His father hasn't trained him in years from what I knew before. He would just hang around a lot. His uncle trained him the majority of the time. Not sure bout the last couple years tbh. I figured Money stepped up after the constant talks about him being a turtle in the ring. But not sure overall, but the change is really obvious to me. Not to say he fights like Pac or anything, but he definitely engages more now.

This stuff has been going on the behind the scenes for a minute now glad Mayweather set the record straight and told the people about Bob Abrum stopping this fight all these times.

killatopak

This stuff has been going on the behind the scenes for a minute now glad Mayweather set the record straight and told the people about Bob Abrum stopping this fight all these times.

How can you so sure he was telling the truth? By no means am I calling him a liar but at this point I don't think we'll ever know what truly happened behind the scenes.

charsace

Floyd would have beaten Manny at any time. Arum knows this and also hates Floyd because Floyd is making a ton and Arum isn't pimping him out anymore. If Arum thought Manny would beat Floyd's ass this fight would have happened already.

oneHeero

Floyd would have beaten Manny at any time. Arum knows this and also hates Floyd because Floyd is making a ton and Arum isn't pimping him out anymore. If Arum thought Manny would beat Floyd's ass this fight would have happened already.
Fk no. Floyd would not have beaten Manny.

Even if Floyd had fought defensively Manny would have upped his punch output to outscore him. Money has no knockout power so Manny wouldn't have anything to worry about.

How can you so sure he was telling the truth? By no means am I calling him a liar but at this point I don't think we'll ever know what truly happened behind the scenes.

Very true I've just heard about the bad blood between Abrum and Mayweather over the money issues when he was under Abrum and how he it let him to making TMT.

charsace

Fk no. Floyd would not have beaten Manny.

Even if Floyd had fought defensively Manny would have upped his punch output to outscore him. Money has no knockout power so Manny wouldn't have anything to worry about.

Manny has problems with a homeless version of Floyd. The real thing would have boxed him up and embarrassed him for a whole fight or 2.

oneHeero

Manny has problems with a homeless version of Floyd. The real thing would have boxed him up and embarrassed him for a whole fight or 2.
Lol?

The real Floyd would have prolly got knocked out or just been in defense without the option to score much.

I'd like to see them fight now since it didn't happen before.

Promoter Bob Arum said a potential fight between Floyd Mayweather Jr. and Manny Pacquiao on May 2 — the same day on which Canelo Alvarez and Miguel want to fight — “is not going to happen” on that date.

Mayweather announced during an interview on Showtime Friday that he “would love to fight Manny Pacquiao” on May 2. Alvarez and Cotto have been negotiating to fight that Saturday night on Cinco de Mayo weekend, which Mayweather calls “Cinco de Mayweather.”

Arum, who promotes Pacquiao and has been working with Cotto in negotiations with Alvarez, said Alvarez is more entitled to the date because of his Mexican heritage.

Golden Boy Promotions President Oscar De La Hoya, who promotes Alvarez and has had a working relationship with Mayweather, agrees with that sentiment.

“Let me tell you something, and this, I really feel very, very strongly about,” Arum said. “That weekend celebrates Cinco De Mayo, which is a Mexican Holiday, which commemorates the outstanding, courageous stand of a lot of Mexican civilians who turned back the French Imperial army, and it’s a significant holiday in Mexico and among Mexican Americans who live in the United States. That being said, neither Mr. Mayweather, nor Mr. Pacquiao, nor Mr. Cotto, who is Hispanic, but not Mexican.

“The only Mexican in the group is Canelo Alvarez, who is a big attraction among the Mexican people. And to poach on that date, which is a Mexican holiday by non-Mexicans, shows a terrible disrespect for the Mexican people, both those living in Mexico and those living in the United States. And anybody who does the poaching ought to be ashamed of themselves. That goes for hotels and that goes for fighters and that goes for any of us. I’m willing to make that statement.”

http://ringtv.craveonline.com/news/370247-bob-arum-on-may-2-thats-canelo-alvarezs-date

Is that a duck?

SYNTAX182

killatopak

He fully knows that cotto and canelo was already set up to fight on that day. They want to fight that day because canelo is a big attraction in mexico. It will boost their ppv sales. Why would mayweather even pick that day? They can pick a different date. Its mayweather that is insisting on that date because he knows its a conflict of interests.

So mayweather knew about the canelo fight before hand?

Damn it's so confusing. It feels like both are ducking each other.

oneHeero

A duck, really? Given Canelo Alvarez heritage and being a ppv fight, you really think it's a smart decision to have another HUGE fight happening on the same night taking away from your other fight?

If anything, the smart decision is to get two fights on different nights to maximize profit potential. Regardless if money has fought on May 2nd before, the current fight scheduled on that day would make more sense.

Hopefully the fight gets scheduled, same bs from both camps.

SYNTAX182

So mayweather knew about the canelo fight before hand?

Damn it's so confusing. It feels like both are ducking each other.

Yeah definitely. Negotiations for that fight have been on for a while. Mayweather should be up to date on this info, unless he just ignores boxing news which would be very hard to believe.

Canelo is back with HBO so I guess there's always the possibility that FLoyd wants to put his PPV up against theirs, but eventually someone will budge. It's all a dick waving contest just like the negotiations with Paq.

Mayweather needs to pick another date. It would make zero sense to cut his own profit potential by putting his PPV against Canelo's and there's no reason that Canelo would move.

Mesousa

Banned
I admire Mayweather's strength. Through every thing he pushes on and does not lose a step. If I heard one of my best friends kill himself and his girlfriend I would be sick for a long time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom