• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

McDonald's newest test market idea: Monster energy drinks with value meals

Status
Not open for further replies.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...ng-monster-drinks-in-about-20-stores-ifzqpgt7

McDonald’s Corp. is selling Monster Beverage Corp. energy drinks in about 20 of its U.S. restaurants, potentially opening up a new market for the high-caffeine beverages.

"We’re always gathering feedback from customers on the food and beverages they’d like to be served at McDonald’s, and this is another example," Lisa McComb, a spokeswoman for the fast-food chain, said in an e-mail. Locations in Michigan, Ohio, Georgia, Florida and Illinois are testing the drinks, she said.

Monster shares rose the most in almost eight months on Tuesday, fueled by speculation that the test could open up a new sales channel for its beverages. Getting the energy drinks into quick-service restaurants like McDonald’s, which has 14,350 U.S. locations, could add as much as $1.5 billion in revenue for Monster in the U.S. alone, said Robert Ottenstein, an Evercore ISI analyst in New York. Ottenstein, who reported on the Monster test in a note Tuesday morning, said Oak Brook, Illinois-based McDonald’s has seen “positive results."

Monster, which declined to comment on the report, jumped 5.2 percent to $139.61 at the close in New York, the biggest gain since Feb. 27. The shares are now up 29 percent this year.

At McDonald’s, Monster’s beverages are typically sold as part of a value meal, with customers paying about $1.50 more to get the Monster drink, Ottenstein said.

The move is “generating incremental revenue and traffic for stores, with some customers coming in just to purchase Monster,” he said.

McDonalds in Australia use to sell Iced Coffee in Perth and Adelaide, now Burger King/Hungry Jacks does in same states.

Iced_Coffee.GIF

Didn't a Simpsons writer give some good ideas on Twitter about how to save McDonalds?

One of them being to open like a really cool one in new York where you offer different menu items from around the world?

I remember going to dubai and having a very tasty wrap titled the McArabian or something. I'd love to have it again.

But no energy drinks will save the company

Starviper

If it is the Monster Tea I can see this making sense. The teas are actually really good and aren't entirely terrible for you.

If it's the standard green monster, then I guess they just ran out of fucks to give.

Didn't a Simpsons writer give some good ideas on Twitter about how to save McDonalds?

One of them being to open like a really cool one in new York where you offer different menu items from around the world?

I remember going to dubai and having a very tasty wrap titled the McArabian or something. I'd love to have it again.

But no energy drinks will save the company

india-2_custom-e88fef123d58373148ba28b3c52a1606aad0b073-s800-c85.jpg

Hazmat

What I need after getting 10 McNuggets and fries is a Monster energy drink because my system hasn't been slammed with enough sugar and sodium. Heart attacks have been primarily occupied by 50-year-olds, and I'm tired of those bastards taking jobs that could go to the young.

wonder if this is their attempt to try to grab the stoner audience that taco bell and jack in the box have a strong hold over without dropping prices like those places did. wouldn't surprise me tbh.

kirby_fox

Banned
They must have hired a bunch of recent college grads from all sorts of fields.

And decided the best thing to do was to use all of their ideas they came up with one by one to see which one would do the best while still trying to please their franchisees.

"We want all day breakfast!" "OK here's a smaller menu and it'll take forever to get anything"

"We want something new to drink" "OK, here's some Monster that's cheap to buy but sells for a lot more."

They must have hired a bunch of recent college grads from all sorts of fields.

And decided the best thing to do was to use all of their ideas they came up with one by one to see which one would do the best while still trying to please their franchisees.

"We want all day breakfast!" "OK here's a smaller menu and it'll take forever to get anything"

"We want something new to drink" "OK, here's some Monster that's cheap to buy but sells for a lot more."
If they had really gotten college grads then the first thing they would have implemented is to make the secret menu official. The McGB would finally be real.

Vice

Carls Jr's has been doing this for awhile. At least in central California. It's like playing Russian roulette with your heart.

You know what would get me to eat at a McDonalds? An international menu. I love hearing about all the low key stuff people get in other countries for fast food. Obviously not all of it is going to be stellar but c'mon, international choices would still be a lot more interesting than this.

MwREUYV.jpg

EhoaVash

Only 20 stores ? Lol I seen them advertise monster energy drinks since mid September here in this small town Michigan

I still remember when I first saw fried chicken and spaghetti at a McDonald's in the Philippines. I should have expected it, but was still surprising regardless.

1-pc_-Chicken-McDo-with-Chicken-Spaghettimeal435X320.png

SpecX

They started selling Monster at the Carl's by my house about 2-3 years ago.
I see that at almost every Carl's in Socal now. Works out great on a long drive when I need one and can buy just the drink from the drive through, otherwise this is a deadly combo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom