• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

McKinney TX school board puts $220M bond proposition to voters, incl. $50m HS stadium

Status
Not open for further replies.

Krejlooc

Banned
And? McKinney ISD has to use McKinney ISD resources.

Jerryworld hosts several highschool football games, all NFL stadiums do.

And it would be cheaper, and more humane, for several districts to license the rights to use one, central, $60 million dollar stadium and use the rest of that money to help the dying ISD down the road, than to build multiple $50 million dollar stadiums within spitting distance because "Fuck you I got mine"

Laieon

America is amazing. Why does a high school need a massive stadium like that
Are tens of thousands of people interested in watching kids play football?

If it's like the one my school district built a few years ago (and seeing as how it mentions an events center, I'm sure that's the case), it'll be utilized by multiple high schools in the district for multiple functions (prom, for example).

It also rents out the same to the community when it's not being used (ex: A church uses it on Sundays). Occasionally there's concerts there (and not just by local high school kids). An episode of Ninja Warrior was even filmed at the stadium.

And yes, it's Texas - so high school football is ridiculously popular. I don't know how big McKinney is, but my high school (at it's most populated point) had 4100 kids. There's 12ish other high schools in this district alone that have similar populations. This doesn't include other school districts in the area who also have similar sized schools. There was plenty of people in the area to fill a stadium.

Jerryworld hosts several highschool football games, all NFL stadiums do.

And it would be cheaper, and more humane, for several districts to license the rights to use one, central, $60 million dollar stadium and use the rest of that money to help the dying ISD down the road, than to build multiple $50 million dollar stadiums within spitting distance because "Fuck you I got mine"

Jerryworld is over 45 minutes from McKinney. Without traffic. At least this is meant to be shared among multiple schools. And ultimately the people will decide if that is how they want the money spent.

Wilsongt

Not quite sure why you need to build a stadium for a high school when a bunch of metal bleachers and a field would do the trick.

Why spare any expense when parents believe that their special snowflake of a high school football player might be in the top 1% of the 1% who makes it big?

Besides, in some cases, these venues eventually pay for themselves... Unlike education, apparently.

Piecake

Why spare any expense when parents believe that their special snowflake of a high school football player might be in the top 1% of the 1% who makes it big?

Besides, in some cases, these venues eventually pay for themselves... Unlike education, apparently.

I realize you were sort of joking, but it really is only fair to compare the revenue that a bleacher/field would bring in and its base costs over X years to the revenue from a football stadium from its costs over X years.

I have a hard time imagining that the stadium actually does make the most sense financially when you think of it in those terms considering that eventually that stadium is going to have to be repaired and/or replaced.

It definitely does tell you the priorities of the community though.

Phobophile

A scientist and gentleman in the manner of Batman.
Sadly, it is even worse than that. I think these quotes from the Warmth of Other Suns really explains it well:

And we have an education system that is funded by its locality and cities that are a part of the same metropolis that don't share taxes. Probably some of the most unjust and unequal shit right there.

I really need to read this book

TyrantII

Flyover states love their HS sports.

22% of the bond for a stadium seems stupid, especially with how far money goes non-college schooling.

Also, that stadium is larger and nicer than my division one Alma matter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom