• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

me=owned... Killzone rocks!

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
No, I'm scoring it relative to every other first-person shooter on the planet. It's good for a PS2 game, but it doesn't quite cut the mustard on other formats, particularly PC and Xbox.
Ah well, the way you worded it first time around, sounded like you said there isn't a single game on PS2 that deserves more than 6/10, which in my book brings one's credibility pretty low. Just out of curiosity, how would you score Half Life (on PS2, which is essentrially the same as the PC version) or Timesplitters 2? I'd agree in general, that PS2 doesn't really have a good FPS, but then again, I don't think much of almost any FPS ever made, so I'm not really one to judge.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
IMO, scripting is fine, as long as something actually interesting happens during the scripting sequence. First Half Life relied on heavy scripting and most people hail it as one of the greatest game ever. It ruins the replayability, I guess, but nowadays I don't have time to replay any longer game anyways.

Marconelly said:
Ah well, the way you worded it first time around, sounded like you said there isn't a single game on PS2 that deserves more than 6/10, which in my book brings one's credibility pretty low. Just out of curiosity, how would you score Half Life (on PS2, which is essentrially the same as the PC version) or Timesplitters 2? I'd agree in general, that PS2 doesn't really have a good FPS, but then again, I don't think much of almost any FPS ever made, so I'm not really one to judge.

Half-Life on PS2 is kind of moot and unfair - in its heyday on PC it would've obviously rated very highly, but these days it wouldn't be enough. Timesplitters 2 was kind of fun for a PS2 game I guess... can't say I'd have played that over UT or Q3A at the time...

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
ScientificNinja said:
Half-Life on PS2 is kind of moot and unfair - in its heyday on PC it would've obviously rated very highly, but these days it wouldn't be enough. Timesplitters 2 was kind of fun for a PS2 game I guess... can't say I'd have played that over UT or Q3A at the time...

Yeah, OK...

What's with you and those types of statements? That is a credibility killer...

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
I think he's meaning to say for a PS2 FPS game, but he's constanly dropping the word FPS. If he means PS2 games in general, he should say so, at least I'd know not to take him seriously anymore.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Marconelly said:
I think he's meaning to say for a PS2 FPS game, but he's constanly dropping the word FPS. If he means PS2 games in general, he should say so, at least I'd know not to take him seriously anymore.

He's made the mistake enough that I'm wondering...

The FPS genre is quite weak on PS2, of course, but it is just as weak (if not more so) on Gamecube and was even worse than that on Dreamcast.

bobafett

I've played final builds from both Killzone and Halo. And I must tell you Killzone is a fantastic game IMHO. Nice graphics, sound, gameplay and atmosphere.

From what I played, Killzone single player game is as good as Halo's (I prefer Killzone's). Although Halo 2 shines in MP.

Marconelly said:

Hey, Mister "I don't like First-Person Shooters anyway", I'd hate to reign in on your credibility parade, but Timesplitters 2 was pretty decent fare on PS2 or otherwise - not that arcade-style multiplayer deathmatching is any kind of direct comparison with Killzone.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Hey, Mister "I don't like First-Person Shooters anyway", I'd hate to reign in on your credibility parade, but Timesplitters 2 was pretty decent fare on PS2 or otherwise - not that arcade-style multiplayer deathmatching is any kind of direct comparison with Killzone.
I'm even talking about that anymore. You can re-read mine or dark10x last post to see where the confusion was (or is).

Marconelly said:
I'm even talking about that anymore. You can re-read mine or dark10x last post to see where the confusion was (or is).
I considered what was previously said by you and dark10x, and there are two possible outcomes.

1. If I was referring specifically to first-person shooters on PS2, it wouldn't be much of a discussion. Killzone is flawed, but still clearly the best single-player FPS on PS2. I don't think I'd even be in this discussion if that was my point because (a) it's obvious; and (b) I was speaking from the perspective of first-person shooters in general; which leads me to

2. If I was referring to PS2 games in general, you wouldn't be in much of a position to compare them against first-person shooters, given your stated attitude towards the genre.

So what exactly was your point? You didn't like my opinion and just had to say something about it?

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
So what exactly was your point? You didn't like my opinion and just had to say something about it?
No, I just wanted to hear where exactly are you coming from, so that I can see how seriously to take your opinions. Can't say your last response cleared it up all that much, but it's not a big deal anyways.

wow dark10x....you sure do like some damn halo...

talkin about deep layers and what not.
i just think its a great game to kill a bunch of shit in co-op with a friend...lol

dont know about that other shit your talking about.

gmoran

dark10x said:
For all of those who continue to bash the game and fail to understand why people enjoy it so much, I urge you to take a second look at the game. Of course, you gotta keep in mind that opinions will always vary and there is a chance that the content buried within just isn't going to appeal to everyone. Still, if you're sitting arounnd like sohka88 there, wondering just what made the game special...you really need to give it another chance.

I played Halo for the first time this Summer. And I'm was going through it, and I don't know? graphically its not a powerhouse, and its repetitive, there are times wen I spend minutes trying to escape one of those circular rooms in the control centre, I hate the interior design of the covenant ships, and the plot is hackneyed 3rd rate SF: but suddenly you find the game is eating massive amounts of your time; there is a flow to the combat which is mesmerising and addictive. And you realise that despite some superficial flaws - the gameplay beneath the bonnet is superlative.

Top Bottom