• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Medal of Honor 2010 |OT| OPERATORS OPERATING in OPERATIONS

Miggytronz

So a few weeks ago I did a coworkers brakes and i got some cash outta the deal. So i figured id snipe this up.

Though the campaign started off confusing as hell, you slowly get immersed into its true story and feeling of what really is going on. Those last few missions on the hill top....omg. You really feel for these dudes. All i can say is though it was short, A fucking + campaign. It was just pure authentic story.

Multiplayer....yeah its enjoyable, its like a pretty yet dumbed down COD.

I cant wait for the next installment.

If anyone wants to play, PSN: Mikasangelos.

Almak

Am on the final stretch of the campaign and wow, I honestly didn't enjoy any of what this game had to offer.
None of the characters are particularly well thought out or interesting enough to justify the developments of the last few missions, which as a result come off seeming shallow and bizarre to me.
Also, this just might be me as I'm not very well versed in the military lingo, but most of the time I had no god damned idea what anyone was talking about and that provided if I could hear them in the first place (had to enable subtitles by the end, since it was getting especially bad).
AI is really bad too. This is the only FPS of the recent years that comes to mind where the enemy (at times) ran at me in a straight line completely ignoring cover or any semblance of tactics what so ever.
Scripting is very bad as well, invincible guys, turrets that shoot by themselves, without anyone in them, weird placement issues, where I had to be in a very specific spot to activate the script event otherwise nothing would happen, infinite spawns etc. etc. etc.
The visuals are nice though but the environments are always the same. Of course this might be an aesthetic choice since the events take place in the same area but that doesn't help the fact that it becomes mundane and pretty boring half way in.
Haven't tried multiplayer (not sure I want to either).

Double D

Funny reading the post above me, because I plowed through the entire game on Friday and found it very enjoyable. There were definitely some funky scripting issues (like stuff wouldn't trigger unless you were in the right spot), but other than that I just plain had fun playing the game. Guns felt good, beards looked great, and I kind of thought the characters were pretty good. No conspiracy horseshit where your buddy is going to kill you in the end, just some dudebros with sweet beards shooting dudes together.

Dipswitch

I just started playing through this the other day on pc and am digging it so far. It has an air of authenticity to it that's cool and I've always been fascinated by the Spec Ops world.

I'm playing it on my home theater setup though and the 360 controller support is a bit iffy. Namely, the inability to choose menu options using the controller and the fact that the on screen prompts still refer to the keyboard controls in game. Aside from that, the controller itself works great in game.

daevv

After the console price drop ($29) I rebought this for 360 the other day, trying for 1000/1000 after getting platinum on the PS3 version. So far the 360 version is way better. My PS3 copy was very dark even with the TV and in game brightness turned up. I'm playing the 360 on on the exact same setup and it looks alot cleaner and I haven't touched the brightness.

If anyone is still playing the MP on 360 hit me up, the Fire Controller achievement is a pain! Gamertag: daevv

rSpooky

Just finished this myself as well.. short but sweet. Got it used, don't think ill be paying for online..
Hopefully we get more soon.

Boerseun

Banned
I bought Medal of Honor on Ps3 today for what amounts to a little under 20 Euros. I have yet to try the single-player, but the multi-player is horrid. I tried for several hours to get something resembling "fun" or "value for money" out of it but failed miserably.

DICE have truly embarassed themselves with this **** (fill in your favourite four letter expletive). I hope this package can somehow be redeemed by the single-player (seeing as it's by a completely different developer). Because right now I'm sad and depressed and regret not putting the money away towards purchasing a copy of Killzone 3.

Single player is quite enjoyable. Sure, it's basically a MW2 clone but it boasts a much better, more authentic story.

I'm honestly a bit surprised EA didn't crank out a new commercial and essentially relaunch the game after the Bin Laden raid, considering what a big role ST6 vs. Al Qaeda plays in the game.

And tbh, you get a much more accurate representation of ST6 & JSOC (and Delta) from the game than the mainstream media provided in the flood of coverage following the UBL mission.

Effect

If anyone is interested Amazon.com is selling the PC download version for $15 at the moment. Think I'm going to get it due to the price. Curious as to how it is. Is EA not planning on releasing any new maps for this?

Marleyman

Banned
The Nature Roy said:
Single player is quite enjoyable. Sure, it's basically a MW2 clone but it boasts a much better, more authentic story.

I'm honestly a bit surprised EA didn't crank out a new commercial and essentially relaunch the game after the Bin Laden raid, considering what a big role ST6 vs. Al Qaeda plays in the game.

And tbh, you get a much more accurate representation of ST6 & JSOC (and Delta) from the game than the mainstream media provided in the flood of coverage following the UBL mission.

I agree with everything you said here. The MOH campaign is light years more realistic than anything out there. It was my favorite FPS campaign that I can think of, honestly.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Marleyman said:
I agree with everything you said here. The MOH campaign is light years more realistic than anything out there. It was my favorite FPS campaign that I can think of, honestly.
Dude, go play ARMA 2, this isn't even remotely realistic on any level.

Effect

Ugh. This game is so damn frustrating. I like the single player. Seems to play well, run well, and even looks great. Story so far is interesting but nothing to special. I haven't finished yet because I wanted to try out the online. This is where my problems start. I assume this has all been said before so it isn't anything new.

I'm coming off from playing a lot of Battlefield: Bad Company 2. It's hard for me a lot of the time to believe that the same company made both B:BC2 and the online portion of Medal of Honor. The maps make it very hard to see anyone before it's to late or not to see anyone at all. No kill cams make it impossible at times to know where you were attacked from. I'm used to not having them due to playing the Wii version of Black Ops but the way the maps are setup you can guess where someone was and avoid that area by taking a different path or two. MoH's maps make that impossible at times. I knew people complained about the spawning this but it's ridiculous and didn't think it was that bad.

I can't figure out what type of gameplay is suppose to be used. Running and gunning or taking our time to move about. How the maps are designed and that it's hard to see I would think taking a more cautious approach would be better. However none seem to work for me. Camping out an area seems to work best. So in the end both side start doing that until some get board and start moving out only to die over and over again. The MoH of Rush mode seems the most fun but that suffers from the same problems as the above as well.

Just glad I didn't pay to much for it. I'll keep playing it from time to time but no way am I'm going to be putting as much time as I did for other games.

DigiMish

My problem is that most maps are too small for 12 vs 12 combat.

I do like the killstreak reward choices of going offensive or defensive as opposed to having to choose a path before the game starts (CoD).

Gaaraz

Completed this last night - the single player campaign was fantastic! Really enjoyed it and found the setting and the story to be rather immersive. There seemed to be a few anti-arab undertones and the occasional "America, fuck yeah!" moment but it wasn't anywhere near as bad as I was expecting, surely not enough for it to even come close to bothering me anyway.

The multiplayer was good too, levelled up a couple of classes to level 6 or so then stopped since tbh I rarely play multiplayer... for the guy above, I personally find it best to not rush into things, not stand out in the open and generally take your time to try and pick people off. Camping doesn't work from experience, but definitely don't rush in guns blazing because you probably won't last long.

I find myself still playing this game even though its almost been out for a year,and by play it I mean the single player only,the multiplayer didnt do it for me at all,theres something about the campaign that makes you feel like you playing out actual events that happened in Afganastan,it just feels real,the dialog on some of the missions feels like things guys would actually say in those situations,doesnt feel like you playing through a hollywood action movie like COD,sure it has its flaws but I like the little details like clearing a room full of guys and having it full up with dust ,I know this is wierd but the dust from your bullets in this game really impressed me,its like the best dust in a 1st person shooter...anyways...not trading this one in

Found a cheap Tier 1 Edition and bought it when I picked up my L.A. Noire preorder a month ago. So I finished it a couple of weeks ago...I knew it was going to be short but damn it was almost over in one evening. Gotta say I enjoyed it though. They really nailed the atmosphere and pacing was well done. Guns felt great and shooting was satisfying overall.

I played it on Hard but it was way too easy. Gotta try out the Tier 1 Mode sometime.

NBtoaster

Finished the game yesterday, and I feel that it was a polished but unspectacular experience. The gunplay felt very good, but the encounters never really ramped up in difficulty and there was no real feeling of a 'finale'.

Le-mo

I bought this off the Steam sale and my first reaction was how ugly the graphics was. I saw the trailers and it looked damn nice in them. I have everything set to high and resolution set to 1920. The game ran smoothly except for the few framerate drop here and there. Is it my computer or is the game just ugly?

kevm3

I had the game on PS3. I know I'm not the only one who was wondering what happened between the trailers and the actual game.

Le-mo

kevm3 said:
I had the game on PS3. I know I'm not the only one who was wondering what happened between the trailers and the actual game.
Good to know I wasn't the only one. Don't this game use the same engine as Battlefield? This look terrible compared to BF.

U2NUMB

Le-mo said:
Good to know I wasn't the only one. Don't this game use the same engine as Battlefield? This look terrible compared to BF.

Only the Multiplayer.. Single player was not the same engine.

Le-mo

dearapollo said:
This game has one of the best modern combat campaigns. Just don't let the graphic hiccups fool you too much.
I am currently playing through it right now and I have NO idea what my objectives are. The story is just all over the place. I just go from mission to mission killing talibans. It's a shame the SP didn't use the Frostbite Engine it would've looked fantastic.

JaskoX1

Banned
Also purchased from steam - some insight set on for that BF3 beta -

beat the story mode (on easy) - was short and sweet. Loved the missions with "Dusty" - stealthy approach.

the Apache Helicopter mission in the mountains was also a blast.

From what I've played of the multiplayer - it's nothing special. Went 48-23 over the course of two games @ FunTrainRide online.

$10 was worth it :)

NinjaBoiX

Story - concise, taut and atmospheric. Really splendid

Multi - imbalanced, oppressive and frustrating. Looks nice though

Never thought it would gone like that, with Dice on multi duties. Guess they just phoned it in. Kudos Danger Close, will support a sequel.

Aspiring

So I finally picked this upanf am enjoying it alot! Multiplayer is great. Reminds me of a watered down BC2. Only thing that shits me is there are not many online. Most I have seen is like 1300 on the 360. And even when it says there are like 500 people in a game mode I get put in a game with nobody? What gives? Other than that enjoying it!

legacyzero

Banned
I get a blue screen of death everytime I play this game for more than 5 minutes (on PC)

Any pointers GAF? This is the only game that does it..

Aspiring said:
So I finally picked this upanf am enjoying it alot! Multiplayer is great. Reminds me of a watered down BC2. Only thing that shits me is there are not many online. Most I have seen is like 1300 on the 360. And even when it says there are like 500 people in a game mode I get put in a game with nobody? What gives? Other than that enjoying it!

Wow, that is surprising. I play it on the PS3 from time to time and I've never seen less then 1300 people online. On busy days it can go up to 3600+ people.

Also not sure why everybody complains of lag. No lag here, and I've got 33 hours logged in the multiplayer.

Hyunkel6

I'm about halfway through the campaign. I'm really enjoying it. Although the characters are not fleshed out at all and the game is heavily scripted, the atmosphere and gunplay are very well done. There are invincible guys here and there, and the AI can sometimes be dumb, but, in general, it's a great experience so far.

Multiplayer is okay, but frustrating. Played around 4 hours trying out the 3 classes. My main grip is that it's very hard to see someone from afar. They seem to blend in the background. Not to mention that 90% of my deaths are from snipers. It would be a more enjoyable experience if the game had killcams or spotting a la BC2.

Aspiring

AngelSoldier said:
Wow, that is surprising. I play it on the PS3 from time to time and I've never seen less then 1300 people online. On busy days it can go up to 3600+ people.

Also not sure why everybody complains of lag. No lag here, and I've got 33 hours logged in the multiplayer.

I knew I should have got the PS3 version! Man just a minute ago I was trying to play the mode where you capture the flags, it said 158 people were playing which is pathetic yet I always get put in a server with no other people. It's fucking annoying because when I get into a game it's awesome!

But I have noticed that for games that are a little older PS3 seems to have more people online. About 2 months after the FIFA world cup finished it was dead on 360. PS3 still has people playing.

Aspiring said:
I knew I should have got the PS3 version! Man just a minute ago I was trying to play the mode where you capture the flags, it said 158 people were playing which is pathetic yet I always get put in a server with no other people. It's fucking annoying because when I get into a game it's awesome!

But I have noticed that for games that are a little older PS3 seems to have more people online. About 2 months after the FIFA world cup finished it was dead on 360. PS3 still has people playing.

Err, even on the PS3 anything that isn't TDM, or Combat mission often ends up with no more then 250 players. But right now as of typing this, 1253 playing Team deathmatch, and 957 playing combat mission. If you ever do pick up the PS3 version send me a friend request, PSN ID is in my profile. :D

Kyaw

Finished the story mode in under 5 hours. Loved it.
The missions were great, the story is a bit bland but it's war! Authentic and Visceral!

Loved the chopper section, the environments were awesome.
Doesn't feel all that dudebro or ridiculous like COD either.

Finally got a chance to play more than just a few missions here and there. This is easily the best military campaign I've played this generation, warts and all. For all its shortcomings, no other game with this theme has come close to matching the mood and intensity here.

+ Very chilling, at times, and I haven't really come across any section that I felt were just excuses to show off some single cool idea that the developer might have gleaned from the military channel.

+ The transitions between the teams have largely been buttery smooth.

Very scripted, of course, but that's mixed up decently so it's alright.

+ Being based on a real war also means that the story is easily ignored. I already know what's going on here, any little story noise is just that, harmless noise.

+/- Visually, it's a mixed bag. Not too hot on the night scenes (not bad, but nothing special), but the daytime stuff has been gorgeous. Playing it in 1080p on the highest setting and with a kick ass framerate probably helps there.

- Not so great... enemy A.I. Hope they work on that for the sequel, but I seem to feel that way about every military-themed shooter these days.

Don't give a shit about the MP, so this is all about the campaign.

Le-mo said:
I am currently playing through it right now and I have NO idea what my objectives are. The story is just all over the place. I just go from mission to mission killing talibans.

Imagine that, a modern war game that acts the part.

The Nature Roy said:

I've read this before, and I don't really get it, at least not for SP. There is no globehopping, simply moving between roles and teams. It's based on a real campaign, and there haven't been any show-off moments (yet, maybe it will change at the end). Not even the gameplay feels like MW2. For one, you can actually lean. Grenades are a whole other thing here. Movement feels different (although still strictly of the gun-on-a-stick sort). It felt surprisingly different all around. Scripting sure is plentiful, but that's been nowhere the level of MW2.

It_Hurts

Banned
the campaign started slow but as a whole was very good, especially the mountain missions at the end are great.

in MP I really enjoy the Combat Mission mode, which is a watered down BC2 Rush mode. Some nice map designs. the other modes a rather bad with some terrible re-spawn location design.

overall a pretty descent game.

Sec0nd

Playing the campaign for the first time right now, loving it so much!
Just got passed the
Ambush part
, this has to be one of my favorite parts in any shooter out there. Loved the way
your cover keeps getting blown up and the ammo is running out, and the music gets louder as your team mates call off the back up. And as your expecting your death the Apaches show up! Goosebumps!!

Sec0nd said:
Just got passed the
Ambush part
, this has to be one of my favorite parts in any shooter out there. Loved the way
your cover keeps getting blown up and the ammo is running out, and the music gets louder as your team mates call off the back up. And as your expecting your death the Apaches show up! Goosebumps!!

That mission was really well done and I loved the tension. You can even hear the guys voice crack a bit which really added to it.

Kyaw

Sec0nd said:
Just got passed the
Ambush part

Ah yes, that mission was fantastic. I really thought it was the end for that squad...

And then the chopper missions after that were great too. Amazing mountains!

Campaign has some nice missions later on, but this took the record for shortest campaign of all the FPS I have bought in recent years, it took a little over 3 hours... I've never gone through any other THAT fast. The early stuff and the "stealth" was horrible though, would have been better if the quality was up to par with some of the later mountain missions. Was not crazy about the apache stuff, was silly how they just zoomed around so close to targets and it got a bit boring after the first few minutes.

The visuals are also all over the place. At times it looks great, and then you get some seriously fugly level designs and textures in places. Most of the early portion of the game is extremely bad looking. The mountain stuff again looked good.

Still haven't tried the MP, will have to... glad I paid 10 bucks for it though as I would have felt cheated at the $20 I almost bought it for.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
BattleMonkey said:
Campaign has some nice missions later on, but this took the record for shortest campaign of all the FPS I have bought in recent years, it took a little over 3 hours... I've never gone through any other THAT fast. The early stuff and the "stealth" was horrible though, would have been better if the quality was up to par with some of the later mountain missions. Was not crazy about the apache stuff, was silly how they just zoomed around so close to targets and it got a bit boring after the first few minutes.
It took me just over 4 hours on the hardest difficulty. I was kind of shocked. Even Airborne felt a good bit longer.

I think I'm nearing the end, and the last half of the game has been nothing short of brilliant. And I really appreciate the type of intensity that they offer here. Not the loud, swarming intensity of other recent war games, but more intimate. Hard to explain, but it's definitely a welcome quality.

Not sure about the time spent, but I wouldn't feel robbed if the last missions was the last one, as I've gotten more awesome out of this than the collective hours spent with a slew of similarly themed games. Not seeing how anyone can honestly push through it in 3 hours, but hey.

Oh yeah, and after the initial missions, it has been down right gorgeous.

Top Bottom